Does it bother you if you suspect you bought an item that has been returned?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would bother me. That is why I have never bought anything from Ebay.

Once I got a haircolor that was not sealed. I thought no biggie. I had used the brand a million times so I knew what came in the pack it was all there. Well it was all there, but it was NOT the color I normally get. It was Jet Black, and I did not know until I colored my hair and pulled the towel.
add_wegbrech.gif

that happened to me.. my friend got me a mac shadestick for my birthday, and it was one I already had, so when we went to exchange it the MUA opened it up, and it had been used. Eww.

Originally Posted by Pinklady77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Can they re-sell you used makeup (not meaning ebay)? It doesn't seem very sanitary. That's what i'm wondering, what happens to returned items? They probably resell them..

Originally Posted by Jennifer /img/forum/go_quote.gif why do you think it was used? It was an eyeshadow and at the center of the surface it looked like it had been touched..

Originally Posted by pinksugar /img/forum/go_quote.gif I guess the only way to tell is if it's still in it's original packaging, and still has all the security tapes on it.

I love security tapes, i wish all the cosmetics came sealed
laughing.gif
tocktock.gif

Originally Posted by CoverGirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif It does! I always thought I was weird for being like that. lol Yes, i feel very weird too..

I don't like the thought of used make up. I only buy drugstore make up from the Wal-Mart I used to work at. That's only because they are really strict that they will only return make up if it is defective, and it goes straight into the trash. If customers open make up to buy it, they tell them to buy it (getting security involved if they have to), or they throw it out if they didn't see who opened it. I've seen other stores tape things shut again, so sometimes it's hard to tell if it's been used. You just have to trust the staff.

If an item is returned, shouldnt it not be sold to others?

As if I want returned items!

Originally Posted by Bexy /img/forum/go_quote.gif It would bother me. That is why I have never bought anything from Ebay.
Once I got a haircolor that was not sealed. I thought no biggie. I had used the brand a million times so I knew what came in the pack it was all there. Well it was all there, but it was NOT the color I normally get. It was Jet Black, and I did not know until I colored my hair and pulled the towel.
add_wegbrech.gif

HAHAHAHA, Omg, I feel so sorry for youAtleast it got you trying new things?

But na, I'l buy things off ebay: But never makeup

Originally Posted by Jennifer /img/forum/go_quote.gif why do you think it was used? Sorry for the late response. The thing is I could not tell, Revlon sealing is hard to remove, so why would they remove it?? To take the photo or to look at the colour, and what's the temptation just to test it on something? Its the 2nd time I've purchased from them on ebay and everything else was sealed.

Originally Posted by Bexy /img/forum/go_quote.gif It would bother me. That is why I have never bought anything from Ebay.
add_wegbrech.gif

Oh my gosh, that is awful! I always check the bottle before I mix my hair dye. I remember when I worked at Hell-Mart all the little brats that used to congregate in that aisle messing with stuff.
I always check my stuff to make sure it hasn't been used. If I am paying full price it better be in brand new condition.

Some cosmetic counters do put returned things back in with new product. They are supposed to check it for tell-tale signs of use. Sometimes those signs could be overlooked. It's always a good idea to peek inside and check it before you leave the counter!!

ugh yeah i went to bloomingdales to buy some givenchy thigh-hi stockings...when i put it on it had a HUGE run in them! not sexy

so i took it back...salesperson was cool about it and i did an exchange for some other ones

Yes its kind of unhygenic if you think about it. Normally shops shouldn't give refunds to used products and they should check it first. I would be pretty angry if that happened to me though =p

Yes it would be bother me that's why I avoid clearance make up because they always look dirty, old and used- if I buy something brand new I expect it to just that.

I inspect mine make up also (lipsticks an lip glosses especially.) I would probably freak then flip out if I saw evidence of prior usage.

I would be. I have actually checked boxes before leaving the counter because it happened to me once.

Yes, I would have a problem buying something that someone already had and possibly used.

If it looked tampered with, then I wouldn't get it.

I always get the product near the middle to avoid this.

I have a habit of never taking the product in the front, too. My husband laughs at me. But I'm a bit of a germophobe. If the product even appeared to be used, I'd try to return it, and if the store wouldn't take it back, I'd just trash it. I'd rather lose the money than risk using the product, especially if it's an eye or lip product. Ew!!!

Yes, I'd bring it back if I thought it had been returned. Who knows where its been?

I always check the pattern on eyeshadows so that I know if it has been touched or even used.

Back