Does sampling lead to more purchases?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Reading another MUT'ers respond to a question that I posed let me to another question.

Personally when I first tried mineral makeup it was through full sized items. Samples weren't available and once I discovered smaller companies that do offer samples I noticed that if I liked the product I immediately went and purchased full sized products from them. This was my earlier trend until I began sampling with so many different companies - and then I only bought samples - from everyone.

Over the past year I've just bought full sizes from different companies and now it seems that I'm back into sample mode - sampling here there and everywhere without committing to anything full sized.

Once I stopped sampling in the past so much I went back to buying full sizes from a few different companies.

My question is:

Do you usually sample around?

or

Does your sampling lead to full size purchases with several companies?

Im tell you what is my poit in you'r questions.

Im love to sampling and Im not going to rest until I will try them all ! LOL

when I like brands... I will order full sizes.. and keep on the sample.

everyday Im wearing a diferent foundation-powder-conclear-blush.

Originally Posted by simisimi100 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Im tell you what is my poit in you'r questions. Im love to sampling and Im not going to rest until I will try them all ! LOL

when I like brands... I will order full sizes.. and keep on the sample.

everyday Im wearing a diferent foundation-powder-conclear-blush.

I'm glad to hear that because even when I've found a perfectly good foundation and have bought like 5 full sizes of it - I still sample lots of other companies.

Originally Posted by jenfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif Sure, if I like them I'd buy a full size or their other products. As soon as I say I'm not going to buy anymore and I move on to something else, I always come back to mineral sampling and wind up buying more foundations which leads to other products.

im still in sampling mode as i'm fairly new to mmu. still looking for my HG so i expect to be sampling for a bit until i find "the one." hopefully i will graduate into buying full sizes from my favorite company (ideally, only one for all products, but i doubt it). sampling is exciting but i figure it can be tiring after a while. so many choices can also be overwhelming.

I have bought one full size item from one company because I did really like the match and the finish/lastng power. However, I still like to sample around just because it's fun and there may well be another foundation out there with a better colour match (well, I know there will be) with the same finish and lasting power, plus there is an array of colour in blushes and eyeshadows to be had, plus different kinds of finishing powders and so on.

I've already decided on a full size blush (treasure, lovely blush) from Lauress, but I'm hoping that I can find my perfect match in this coming batch of foundation samples so that I can order the blush together with the foundation in a kit.

I just can't resist the lure of the colours and different formulas...

I've bought lots of things after trying a sample. If I like the sample, I'll buy the full size.

When my favourite companies come out with new products, I'll usually sample first, and if I like it - then a full size.

Sampling around was fun, but it's not something I really enjoy anymore. When it comes to eyeshadows I don't even bother with samples, I just get the full-sizes. Same with lippies, though those are a bit difficult to sample anyway. Foundation I prefer Silk Natural's mix-your-own, because that's the only true colour match I've found, but she's adding a peach base, which might work better for me, so that I'll sample (already have full sizes of what I normally use).

Cream eyeliner and mascara - went full size with those, no regrets.

Blush and bronzers - those I sample. Scents I prefer to sample. New finishing powders - mostly went with full size, but sampled some, same with glows.

Ditto things like cleansers (at least when possible), serums and skin care generally, but obviously you need F/S of those, and I've bought my share and then some of GoW and Sarafina.

I do have a bunch of full sizes from a company that ended up not working out for me (the foundation went all cakey, and I'm not that crazy about the blushes, either), so I guess there are down sides, too, but I've been pretty happy with Silk Naturals and The She Space for a good while (okay, and MAD e/s samples - I cheated there). I'm not that interested in other brands anymore, haven't been since last winter. Not sure if that's good or bad for the budget - probably good since I'm an international, and shipping is pricey from most companies, even if samples aren't. Those $15 and $30 sample orders can add up quickly.

I like to sample from time to time but if I find an eyeshadow shade of a foundation match that is truly exceptional I buy a full sized product as soon as I finish the sample. It doesn't happen that often though. I'm quite happy with that system as I have far fewer teeny jars or baggies. Plus, as I only buy those things I truly love, I reach for them again and again with pleasure. I really don't need 58 eyeshadows or 26 blushes.

I sample everything before committing to full size. There's no way to know if the color or formulation is right without trying it for a while - without sampling, I would have ended up with foundation that looks gray, e/s that makes my eyeballs itch, and finishing powder that makes my face look floury!

I don't order many full size makeups. I'll order f/s if it looks like my sample will run out soon. So far, that has been 1 concealer, 1 foundation, 1 finisher, and 5 e/s. I'm sure more will come, as I'm still sampling....and I enjoy it a lot!

I prefer to sample and then order my foundation. Sampling does get expensive with all the shipping fees so i don't do it often. If i find something that works, i try to avoid sampling so as not to waste so much money when what i got is doing the job just fine in the first place.

I am like the first poster, I sample then immediately order a full size if I like it. To me it is important to support the small companies. I have had quite a few that I enjoyed products from go out of business. Also I have had favorite products that were discontinued and when I asked why, owners say it's because the sample to full size sales weren't there so they figured the product wasn't working for people. In my opinion the samples are a major bonus and after spending thousands on BE and JI and getting tons of stuff I ended up not being able to wear, I want these small companies to know I appreciate the samples, but will also buy full sizes.

Originally Posted by HollyC /img/forum/go_quote.gif Reading another MUT'ers respond to a question that I posed let me to another question.
Personally when I first tried mineral makeup it was through full sized items. Samples weren't available and once I discovered smaller companies that do offer samples I noticed that if I liked the product I immediately went and purchased full sized products from them. This was my earlier trend until I began sampling with so many different companies - and then I only bought samples - from everyone.

Over the past year I've just bought full sizes from different companies and now it seems that I'm back into sample mode - sampling here there and everywhere without committing to anything full sized.

Once I stopped sampling in the past so much I went back to buying full sizes from a few different companies.

My question is:

Do you usually sample around?

or

Does your sampling lead to full size purchases with several companies?

The answere is : Yes, definately!If i like the finish and how it wears,and (of course ) gets a good match; then i order a full zise.

I am still sampling and have not found my love yet. I have tried more than 5 MM of different brand but they are not to my taste..either causing breakouts, dull looking or oxidises my face and makes me look darker than my colour. Its true that sampling makes me spend more money on shipping and when you have to pay the US rate...its more of my money. If I have found my fav MM...i still dun mind sampling just to find out more abt MMs or to make myself beautiful and nice. hee hee. At the moment still samplinggggggg. The samples last a long time though.

Emma

I usually only buy samples of foundations and blushes. If they are color compatible with my complexion and wear well I almost always order full sizes of them before finishing the samples.

I order full sizes of liners, lip colors, and eye shadows immediately without sampling. I really don't like samples but find them necessary with foundations.

Barekiss has the most injcredible supersample sets, they have everything in them foundation, blush concealer, primer and veil. You will love them the url is barekiss.com.au | Mineral Cosmetics | Handmade Soaps - HOME They are Ausatralian so don't forget the au at the end. They have loads in them too. All my friends have bought the full sizr after trying the samples

I know that sampling is necessary to find the correct foundation coor but I kind of hate sampling because I hate waiting for my second order to arrive so always if I order sample foundations I will order full sized eyeshadows and blushes and probably something else or two that looks good so that I at least have something from the company that I can use long term. Most companies eyeshadows and blushes are never a let down so I've not been burned in that area -except EDM but I just traded it away as they weren't pigmented enough for my complexion.

I kinda sampled three fdns and settled on SN's... same thing with the finishing powder... guess I'm not the adventurous type of person.

For e/s, however, I'm going crazy over TSS samples. Her international shipping is affordable and so are her samples. Since I'm not a avid user of mu, the e/s samples suit me fine. I still haven't finished any of them. LOL! and some are like 5 months old.

i'm still in the early stages of sampling, i've only tried 3 mineral companies (for foundations) so far. i know i will not be able to stop until i've sampled the others (the highly recommended ones, at least). it's just that when people start to rave about a certain company, it always creates a lemming because at the back of my mind i always wonder, what if i'm missing out on the best? LOL

as for full sizes, sometimes even if i haven't sampled long enough, i am so tempted to order a FS right away especially if a sale is ongoing. i'm a sucker for sales!

I have had good and bad experiences in sampling, great way to try it though, Barekiss and EM are good for samples but EM are getting a bit pricey with the dollar difference and postage is a killer.BareKiss does great samples.

Back