Drugstore Gems!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How did you apply the ELF HD liquid blush? I bought one when they first came out and could never get it to work.

They still sell Lip Smackers, I remember the coke flavored one I had when I was about 8, so yummy.
I just apply a very, very, very small amount with my fingers and blend in. Some of the more vivid colors are too pigmented though, like the wine colored one. So I use that on my lips instead.

Just the butter lipsticks. I might pick up some of their concealer since I'm going to try and place an ulta order either today or tomorrow....we'll see! Good tip on the eyeliner, I need a new pen liner but not that one apparently!!
I adore their gel eyeliner though, but my favorite pen eyeliner will forever be Stila's. I haven't found a good drugstore replacement yet, maybe I should make that my mission.

My old friend had bought a Maybelline fluro bright pink ChapStick, and I loved it. The colour was so awesome.

Please forgive me for the name of the lipbalm being wrong, I'm new to the whole thing of makeup and it was a decent while ago. I had to use this time because I haven't bought anything from a chemist/drugstore. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> terrible I know.

In my country we don't get brands like you do, so you are lucky to have such great stuff from places you call Drugstores. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Ohhh, I think you are talking about the Maybelline Babylips, they look like little chapsticks and come in great colors!

I just apply a very, very, very small amount with my fingers and blend in. Some of the more vivid colors are too pigmented though, like the wine colored one. So I use that on my lips instead.
I tried the hot pink one and tried applying with my fingers, either it was too concentrated or I am too pale. Oh the woes of being fair.

I have four drugstore items that I love, and that have become essential makeup products for me:

1. NYX Studio Perfect Primer in Clear (available at http://www.nyxcosmetics.com/p-38-studio-perfect-primer.aspx, many Target stores and drugstores in the US) Except for the "vanity ingredients" (ingredients that sound really good in their advertising but which aren't in the formula in enough quantity to have any effect whatsoever on the product or your skin), the formula for the NYX Studio Perfect Primer is almost identical to the Smashbox Photo Finish Primer formula. I haven't experienced any difference in the performance of the NYX Primer vs the Smashbox Primer.

2. Milani Smooth Finish Cream-to-Powder Makeup (available at http://www.milanicosmetics.com/p-43-smooth-finish.aspx and drugstores in the US). This is almost an exact dupe of the Benefit Cosmetics Some-Kind-Of-Gorgeous, but sells for less than 1/3 of the price AND comes in 13 shades (Some-Kind-Of-Gorgeous is offered in three shades). This is my go-to foundation for cooler weather. It is NOT transfer-proof, but that doesn't bother me. (If you try this, use a brush, such as Real Techniques Expert Face Brush, to apply - NOT the sponge included with the compact).

3. Cover Girl Outlast Stay Fabulous 3-in-1 Foundation (available at http://www.covergirl.com/beauty-products/face-makeup/foundation-makeup/outlast-stay-fabulous-foundation, Walmart, Ulta, Target, and drugstores in the US). LOVE this stuff! Provides just the right amount of coverage, a natural finish, AND lasts all day. My preferred warm weather foundation.

4. Revlon Colorburst Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stains (available at http://www.revlon.com/Revlon-Home/Products/Lips/Lipcolor/Just-Bitten-Kissable-Balm-Stain.aspx, Walmart, Ulta, Target, & drugstores in the US). These, along with their "companion" Balm Stains (Matte Balms and Lacquer Balms), are my favorite lip products right now. Offered in a vast array of colors, and inexpensive enough that average people can afford to collect them in many different shades. Wear time is excellent, and they don't make lips feel dry.
Now I really want to try that Milani foundation, I have been looking for a compact cream and had no idea where to start! Thanks for all of the awesome suggestions, you are on top of it!

Now, my top favourite is a strange one: I hate BB creams, and I am not Vichy's biggest fan, either. But the Vichy ProEven BB cream is so perfect. It matches my skin perfectly, definitely evens it out, and the way it makes my face FEEL- it's like silk. Kevyn Aucoin would approve.

I love Sally Hansen Insta-Dri, and Rimmel 60 seconds. They have all the colours I love and are the only nail polish I ever have the patience to put on myself.

Am I allowed to include grocery-store cosmetics? Because I don't know about the States, but up here all the Loblaws that have a Joe Fresh attached also have a cosmetics section. The Joe Fresh cosmetics line is way underrated. Their liquid 8hr lipsticks are the best thing.

I limited myself to 3 things right now- incidentally, products I am very picky about (liquid lipstick, nail polish and BB cream/foundation). Don't even get me started on eye products and lipstick or I'll be writing sonnets.

Now, my top favourite is a strange one: I hate BB creams, and I am not Vichy's biggest fan, either. But the Vichy ProEven BB cream is so perfect. It matches my skin perfectly, definitely evens it out, and the way it makes my face FEEL- it's like silk. Kevyn Aucoin would approve.

I love Sally Hansen Insta-Dri, and Rimmel 60 seconds. They have all the colours I love and are the only nail polish I ever have the patience to put on myself.

Am I allowed to include grocery-store cosmetics? Because I don't know about the States, but up here all the Loblaws that have a Joe Fresh attached also have a cosmetics section. The Joe Fresh cosmetics line is way underrated. Their liquid 8hr lipsticks are the best thing.

I limited myself to 3 things right now- incidentally, products I am very picky about (liquid lipstick, nail polish and BB cream/foundation). Don't even get me started on eye products and lipstick or I'll be writing sonnets.
I am coming to your town! Your grocery stores sound way more interesting than the ones in the US.

@Courtnee <3 - but you have TRILOGY at the chemists....I  :wub:  that stuff....everytime I visit NZ I stock up lol

Mine is Quo (Shoppers Drug Mart in-house make-up brand). I buy their brushes and lashes. I also buy lots and lots of Cover F/X blot powders (formerly Matte F/X). 

Our CVS just got NYX stuff!! I've only purchased one of the jumbo eye pencils, but I plan to get all the colors!! What I love about CVS is I get rewards for filling my prescriptions, so I had a $5 reward which I used to buy the eye pencil! Nothing better than free! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Our CVS just got NYX stuff!! I've only purchased one of the jumbo eye pencils, but I plan to get all the colors!! What I love about CVS is I get rewards for filling my prescriptions, so I had a $5 reward which I used to buy the eye pencil! Nothing better than free! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Yeah, rewards and points are great. That's why I shop at Shoppers, for the points. A couple of days ago, I redeemed $200.00 worth of make-up with my points. All I had to pay for was the sales tax. 

Thanks! Tell me you've tried them! Otherwise, I don't know how much longer we can remain friends. If you haven't I will send you some! That way we can be friends, I don't want to lose you. :wub:
Oh my goodness, this is serious business! I have, in fact, never tried them! I'm just NOT a lip gloss fan. I see the world 'gloss' and want to run away!

BUT since they've gotten such fabulous reviews here..I'll snag a few next time I hit Ulta. Favorite shades??

My drugstore favorites are:

Maybelline Lip Elixirs esp. Captivating Carnation

Jordana lip liner in Tawny (works with just about any color)

Revlon Lip Butters

NYX butter glosses

L'Oreal Match True-Lumi Foundation

Rimmel Stay Matte setting powder

Wet n Wild Fergie Take on the Day Mattifying Powder

All L'Oreal Infallible eyeshadows (only drugstore eyeshadows I use anymore)

Maybelline Color Tattoos (The other drugstore shadow I trust. Great as primer or shadow!)

Jordana mascara in the black and pinkish purple tube.

Loreal True Match powder foundation is the only powder that will blend perfectly over my liquid foundation. Whenever I find it on sale, I develop severe hoarding tendencies and buy about 10 of them :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
You sound like you belong here! Hahaha, if its something you love, why not hoard it? Have you tried the true match liquid foundation?

Oh my goodness, this is serious business! I have, in fact, never tried them! I'm just NOT a lip gloss fan. I see the world 'gloss' and want to run away!

BUT since they've gotten such fabulous reviews here..I'll snag a few next time I hit Ulta. Favorite shades??
My absolute favorite shades are maple blondie and cherry cheesecake. Get on it girl! They're amazing.

My drugstore favorites are:

Maybelline Lip Elixirs esp. Captivating Carnation

Jordana lip liner in Tawny (works with just about any color)

Revlon Lip Butters

NYX butter glosses

L'Oreal Match True-Lumi Foundation

Rimmel Stay Matte setting powder

Wet n Wild Fergie Take on the Day Mattifying Powder

All L'Oreal Infallible eyeshadows (only drugstore eyeshadows I use anymore)

Maybelline Color Tattoos (The other drugstore shadow I trust. Great as primer or shadow!)

Jordana mascara in the black and pinkish purple tube.
This is an excellent list! I have always wanted to try the color tattoos but I very rarely wear eyeshadow. If you were to pick your favorite color, which would it be? Have you tried the new ones from the bleached neons collection? One of them is sort of duo chrome and it looks amazing, it might be my first color tattoo if I can ever find it anywhere.

This is an excellent list! I have always wanted to try the color tattoos but I very rarely wear eyeshadow. If you were to pick your favorite color, which would it be? Have you tried the new ones from the bleached neons collection? One of them is sort of duo chrome and it looks amazing, it might be my first color tattoo if I can ever find it anywhere.
Ohhh lord I just looked at all the bleached neon stuff and I MUST HAVE. 

The two color tattoos look at lot like the ones I have from last years (or maybe the year before?) Summer collection. I have Seashore Frosts (which looks super similar to the 'Shimmering Sea' one and it's GORGEOUS. It's a green/gold duochrome. 

Today might be a good day for a Walgreens run.  ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Ohhh lord I just looked at all the bleached neon stuff and I MUST HAVE. 

The two color tattoos look at lot like the ones I have from last years (or maybe the year before?) Summer collection. I have Seashore Frosts (which looks super similar to the 'Shimmering Sea' one and it's GORGEOUS. It's a green/gold duochrome. 

Today might be a good day for a Walgreens run.  ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Do it! I think the whole collection looks outstanding. I think I'll pick up one of the color tattoos and the color elixirs today or tomorrow.

Back