EM Cosmetics: Michelle Phan's new cosmetic line.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Kristine Walker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ordered the Life Career palette last night. No more buying until Christmas!
Sure, sure! Keep telling yourself that. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> LOL

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by Kristine Walker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ordered the Life Career palette last night. No more buying until Christmas!
Sure, sure! Keep telling yourself that. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> LOL

rofl2.gif

I just spent the last couple of hours browsing the EM Cosmetics website, debating whether or not to buy anything.  As with any purchase of mine, I do a ridiculous amount of research before I fork my money over.  I'm so glad to have stumbled upon this forum and this particular conversation.

I've been watching Michelle Phan for a fair amount of time.  I think I started watching just as she was launching the IQQU stuff.  Anyway, so I guess I would consider myself a fan and am happy for her success.  However, I must say I'm fairly disappointed with this release so far.

I agree with most of you in that the release has been... confusing.  It does seem her audience is primarily composed of young girls (my guess preteen to perhaps young college students) and yet that seems to be age group at which you have the least money in life.  It's a high end makeup line, but none of it looks high end at all to me.  When I think high end, I think sophisticated, not cutesy and poppy.  I'm down for cutesy and poppy, but only if the quality is there and on the lines of Anna Sui and Jill Stuart as someone mentioned before.  I think Michelle is trying to fall somewhere in the middle and appeal to everyone, but it doesn't look high end and it doesn't have the price tag to appeal to her largest demographic.

No matter how much product, to pay out a lump sum of $75 for a palette is a lot of money.  I make a decent living, but I try to be smart with my money.  I've shelled out $60+ on an eye shadow palette (hello Chanel Topkapi palette), but the quality of the product as well as the packaging was there, and it's something that I find myself using on a regular basis (practical).  With this ginormous palette, I don't see myself using this on a daily basis just because of the size.  I don't usually depot shadows into a Z palette unless the shadows are THAT good and worth the price of getting the palette.  I can't see how a poor college student could afford this.  I certainly wouldn't have been able too.

Bottom line, browsing the site and watching the videos on there in an effort to get an idea of what I would be getting has not convinced me that a purchase would be worth it.  The only reason I'm still thinking about purchasing something is for the sake of an honest review.  I have a YouTube channel and would like to put a video review out there.  Although I guess I'm a fan of sorts, that doesn't cloud my judgement or review of a product.  I don't care if you're Michelle Phan, Tom Ford, or Wet n' Wild.  The product speaks for itself and that's what it really comes down to and I'm curious to see what the quality is like.

I did have a little chat with customer service and learned a few things:

1.  They have a 100% satisfaction guarantee, so if you don't like it, you can return it or exchange it for something else.  I'm assuming you pay for return shipping.

2.  The lip products in the palettes are the same formula as the lipstick in the tubes.

3.  Same goes for the concealer.  Same concealer formula in the pans in the palette and in the full sized tubes.

Ok, so here is what I ordered to review:

1.  The Life Palette in Night Life - felt this palette had a nice mix of neutrals, color, and variety in the lip colors.  Since the lip color formulas in the palettes are same as those in the tubes, I figured this would be a good way to review the lip products as well as the eye shadows. 

2.  The Great Cover Up Concealer - Michelle always seems all about the concealer so I was curious to see how hers performs.

3.  Dramatic Volume Waterproof Mascara - this is a $20 mascara which is pretty pricey.  I want to see if it's worth this price point.

4.  The Waterliner - my Ipsy promo code worked, so I got this for free.

Found COPPA violations on the EM Cosmetics site. To me this means that the site does not have an age check. Granted there are ways to get around it since technically those kids shouldn't even have email addresses however L'Oreal is at fault for not designing the site to have an age check and with minor profiles - who names, ages, location AND email addresses are visible to everyone - they are in violation of COPPA. I've emailed both the L'Oreal and Lancome public relations ladies a couple of days ago when I noticed that people's email addresses are exposed so they ARE aware of the situation and so far nothing has been done to correct the email issue being revealed. To me the smartest thing is to remove the "Our Sisterhood" until it's corrected AND minor profiles are not shown (period) and those under the age of 13 are removed.

Found COPPA violations on the EM Cosmetics site. To me this means that the site does not have an age check. Granted there are ways to get around it since technically those kids shouldn't even have email addresses however L'Oreal is at fault for not designing the site to have an age check and with minor profiles - who names, ages, location AND email addresses are visible to everyone - they are in violation of COPPA. I've emailed both the L'Oreal and Lancome public relations ladies a couple of days ago when I noticed that people's email addresses are exposed so they ARE aware of the situation and so far nothing has been done to correct the email issue being revealed. To me the smartest thing is to remove the "Our Sisterhood" until it's corrected AND minor profiles are not shown (period) and those under the age of 13 are removed.
Not cool at all. I think the whole concept of "our sisterhood" should probably be worked on further though, the launch of it seems a bit pre-mature.

Also I find it kind of mind blowing/fascinating that so many young kids are signing up. I feel like an old lady now since I was not really in to using the internet when I was a kid, and my fiance and I are always having discussions about how active we'll let our kids be on the computer when we have kids.

The "Our Sisterhood" portion of the site is really bothering me. Not too long ago (last month or the month before) a young girl was raped after a convicted sex offender moved into our area to be with her. Apparently they began to correspond via email and eventually he moved here to rape her! To me the "Our Sisterhood" portion of the EM site showing people's email addresses, ages, names (and in many cases FULL names) and location just screams privacy violation since you don't know that your email address is used to create a public profile. Yes you can set the profile to private but unless you do by default it appears to be public. I was able to find Cookie's profile even though she has it set to private.

I've emailed Michelle's public relations lady at Lancome and L'Oreal twice already (since Thursday), I've emailed EM Cosmetics three times, I've posted it on FB, on Twitter and no one has looked into it yet. To me this is something that needs to be fixed NOW not Monday, not eventually but NOW.

Considering I'm able to view 11, 12 and 13 year old girls accounts makes me wonder how much of a violation this is for L'Oreal as THEY own the site not Michelle. This is why she can't be blamed for this because she's not the owner of the domain.

The "Our Sisterhood" portion of the site is really bothering me. Not too long ago (last month or the month before) a young girl was raped after a convicted sex offender moved into our area to be with her. Apparently they began to correspond via email and eventually he moved here to rape her! To me the "Our Sisterhood" portion of the EM site showing people's email addresses, ages, names (and in many cases FULL names) and location just screams privacy violation since you don't know that your email address is used to create a public profile. Yes you can set the profile to private but unless you do by default it appears to be public. I was able to find Cookie's profile even though she has it set to private.

I've emailed Michelle's public relations lady at Lancome and L'Oreal twice already (since Thursday), I've emailed EM Cosmetics three times, I've posted it on FB, on Twitter and no one has looked into it yet. To me this is something that needs to be fixed NOW not Monday, not eventually but NOW.

Considering I'm able to view 11, 12 and 13 year old girls accounts makes me wonder how much of a violation this is for L'Oreal as THEY own the site not Michelle. This is why she can't be blamed for this because she's not the owner of the domain.
Wow, it's totally mind blowing to me that they wouldn't take care of this situation right away.  Privacy is such a big issue nowadays.  You would think that this shouldn't have been a problem in the first place.  It seems like such a basic concept to not reveal people's information like that. 

I looked at my profile again, they don't have my mailing address and they certainly won't ever have it, and I will NOT be ordering anything from them until my email address isn't being shown.
madno.gif
If it doesn't change soon, I WILL be writing a very firm and possibly not so pleasant letter or email stating that they remove my profile completely as I can't see any way to do so myself. Zadi have you heard of any way to do that yet? All I can see to do is make it private and we see how well that helps.
icon_neutral.gif

Originally Posted by CheshireCookie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I looked at my profile again, they don't have my mailing address and they certainly won't ever have it, and I will NOT be ordering anything from them until my email address isn't being shown.
madno.gif
If it doesn't change soon, I WILL be writing a very firm and possibly not so pleasant letter or email stating that they remove my profile completely as I can't see any way to do so myself. Zadi have you heard of any way to do that yet? All I can see to do is make it private and we see how well that helps.
icon_neutral.gif

Oh this sucks!  This needs to be taken care of ASAP!  I cannot believe L'Oreal/Lancome would be dumb enough to let children sign up and put email addresses in that are displayed in a public forum.  This is such a ridiculously simple issue, other sites with far less of a budget have managed it.

Ugh.  Ridiculous.  
madd.gif

To have the account removed you have to email them. Other than that there is no way to completely hide your profile. I know you have your profile on private and yet I can see it - I see your email address, your first name, eye color, skin tone, style. The only thing hidden to me is your profile picture, location and age but I think you said you didn't fill that part in.

I've emailed them to remove my second account that was accidentally created. I originally signed up via Facebook and it created my 1st account. When it prompted me to log back in the site created a second account using my Facebook information. So now I have two account both showing my full name, my location and my age. Not happy about that since the second account is using my personal email address that I don't give out to companies in the first place as I have a junkmail account for that kind of stuff. Lesson learned to me - never sign up for an account using Facebook since my personal and private info could be made public as it has been on EM Cosmetics.

Just by looking at comments on Michelle's fan page on facebook, it seems like a lot of people are disappointed in the price points, which was to be expected.

Ok, so here is what I ordered to review: 1.  The Life Palette in Night Life - felt this palette had a nice mix of neutrals, color, and variety in the lip colors.  Since the lip color formulas in the palettes are same as those in the tubes, I figured this would be a good way to review the lip products as well as the eye shadows.  2.  The Great Cover Up Concealer - Michelle always seems all about the concealer so I was curious to see how hers performs. 3.  Dramatic Volume Waterproof Mascara - this is a $20 mascara which is pretty pricey.  I want to see if it's worth this price point. 4.  The Waterliner - my Ipsy promo code worked, so I got this for free.
I'm interested I'm reading your reviews of the items you purchased. However, at this point the products would have to be amazing for me to even consider buying anything and even then I don't think I would actually buy anything.

Just by looking at comments on Michelle's fan page on facebook, it seems like a lot of people are disappointed in the price points, which was to be expected.
I read a few comments on youtube yesterday and I think someone said she was deleting some of the negative comments.

Originally Posted by bonita22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I read a few comments on youtube yesterday and I think someone said she was deleting some of the negative comments.
Interesting, most of the negative comments I found were from recently today, and then as I kept scrolling there weren't anymore, and I thought it was really odd that there was just one concentrated group of them. Its always a shame when people/companies do that.

Originally Posted by xchristina /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wonder if we're going to start seeing EM products in our ipsy bags now.
I know I would love to see EM products in the Ipsy bags. I can't justify spending that much money on her stuff. I have a $100 budget each month for all of my spending be it cosmetics, clothes, subscriptions, etc and out of that $100 $40 of it goes to Ipsy and $10 to Birchbox (I just cancelled my Beauty Army account despite liking BA). So that leaves me $50 each month and so I have to be very careful with what I buy now. So yup I'd love to see EM in Ipsy.

Latest posts

Back