EM Cosmetics: Michelle Phan's new cosmetic line.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by gayestbaby /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What happened with ipsy and UD?
people were getting mad over not getting a ud lipstick sample in their bag and some people received a noya lip balm. some crazy girl on facebook started a petition stating that ud should have enough lipsticks for each of the ipsy subscribers in their bags or something ridiculous of that nature.  the last time that i checked it a few days ago only three people signed it and one of the signatures said "your mom", lmao.

check out the "petition" here:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/no-more-urban-decay-as-an-eitheror-item-ipsy/

Originally Posted by quene8106 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

people were getting mad over not getting a ud lipstick sample in their bag and some people received a noya lip balm. some crazy girl on facebook started a petition stating that ud should have enough lipsticks for each of the ipsy subscribers in their bags or something ridiculous of that nature.  the last time that i checked it a few days ago only three people signed it and one of the signatures said "your mom", lmao.

check out the "petition" here:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/no-more-urban-decay-as-an-eitheror-item-ipsy/
I thought that was a little extreme to petition it. But, that was their choice. It was more over the value difference in my opinion.

I just hope that some good news will come out from Michelle's line.

That privacy thing really bugs me.. And I'm not even sure if I signed up for an account or not. I think I entered for the chance to win an ipad mini or whatever, and I've gotten a few emails from them, but I tried signing in and it said error, so hopefully I don't have to worry about my info being public? :/

And personally I think the pricing is a bit ridiculous. If I hadn't signed up for ipsy in January, I wouldn't even know who she was... I like her a lot now that I've watched her videos, but still wouldn't pay that kind of money for an unknown brand.

OK, I am 48, not a fan-girl and purchased the Life Day palette and the Rose lip palette. My reasons:

Life palettes are actually 4 mini palettes, all the pans are refillable. It come with an empty travel palette,(limited time only) whatever colors I'm wearing that day I can pop out of the Life palette and into the travel one. 

36 colors for $75 is  $2.08 per color. Parent company is L'Oreal, I love L'Oreal and Lancôme and sure can't buy them for 2 dollars a color. Remember, 2 dollars a color doesn't include the price of the large and travel empty palettes. I'm counting on L'Oreal to make a high quality product.

I'm a total lipstick junkie. The lip palette will cut down on the number of lipsticks rattling around in my purse and the colors look beautiful.

The packaging seems fine to me. A change from the constant black/gold combos.

Free shipping on my purchase!

I will report back when they get here and I can try the products.

Originally Posted by Kristine Walker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

OK, I am 48, not a fan-girl and purchased the Life Day palette and the Rose lip palette. My reasons:

Life palettes are actually 4 mini palettes, all the pans are refillable. It come with an empty travel palette,(limited time only) whatever colors I'm wearing that day I can pop out of the Life palette and into the travel one. 

36 colors for $75 is  $2.08 per color. Parent company is L'Oreal, I love L'Oreal and Lancôme and sure can't buy them for 2 dollars a color. Remember, 2 dollars a color doesn't include the price of the large and travel empty palettes. I'm counting on L'Oreal to make a high quality product.

I'm a total lipstick junkie. The lip palette will cut down on the number of lipsticks rattling around in my purse and the colors look beautiful.

I think what we mean is that without knowing the quality, no matter if she offered 300 shadows in her palette, we wouldn't shell out $75.00 for it. If everything turns out to be of great quality and it's worth it to purchase it in a big palette like that, I think everyone will be happy to pay that. But for now, we are all just hoping the products are worth it.

Please do report back once you get your palette, I'm really interested to see how the makeup performs. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I"m definitely curious to hear your reviews so please post photos and swatches when you get them!  

Calling the packaging cute is an insult to cuteness. For higher end cosmetics with cute packaging, there's Anna Sui, Jill Stuart and Paul & Joe. This palette is cream and cute without looking juvenile. It can be done, if that's what they wanted to do. 

But this is just plain. There's nothing cute about it. The circles fit awkwardly in the squarish holder. Probably what they were going for is clean and basic, like white iphones or ipads. Making it white is a cheap way to differentiate themselves. But something about the design is too unfocused, and the result is that it looks like no-name packaging at the supermarket. 

Calling the packaging cute is an insult to cuteness. For higher end cosmetics with cute packaging, there's Anna Sui, Jill Stuart and Paul & Joe. This palette is cream and cute without looking juvenile. It can be done, if that's what they wanted to do.  But this is just plain. There's nothing cute about it. The circles fit awkwardly in the squarish holder. Probably what they were going for is clean and basic, like white iphones or ipads. Making it white is a cheap way to differentiate themselves. But something about the design is too unfocused, and the result is that it looks like no-name packaging at the supermarket. 
I agree totally. Paul & Joe dominate the cute themed makeup. I bought like the majority of their cat themed collection and never looked back.

Originally Posted by kawaiimeows /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree totally. Paul & Joe dominate the cute themed makeup. I bought like the majority of their cat themed collection and never looked back.
well now we all know why you are å¯æ„›ã„meows ;D

Quote: Originally Posted by MoiSurtout /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Calling the packaging cute is an insult to cuteness. For higher end cosmetics with cute packaging, there's Anna Sui, Jill Stuart and Paul & Joe. This palette is cream and cute without looking juvenile. It can be done, if that's what they wanted to do. 

But this is just plain. There's nothing cute about it. The circles fit awkwardly in the squarish holder. Probably what they were going for is clean and basic, like white iphones or ipads. Making it white is a cheap way to differentiate themselves. But something about the design is too unfocused, and the result is that it looks like no-name packaging at the supermarket. 

I'm jealous! By the time I found out about that particular collection it was sold out!

Quote: Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

well now we all know why you are å¯æ„›ã„meows ;D
heheh i'm a crazy cat lady

But a cute one!  How did I miss that kawaii is a version of "ke ai" (å¯æ„›)!?

I've been following a kawaii graphic designer/blogger for months and never made the connection.  Duh.

ahaha you walked into that one though ;D

but to follow up, there's clearly no moratorium on cute based on age. I'm kind of "cutesy" too. I looooove bunnies and will wear bunny accessories/images for the rest of my life. The cute thing is... not very good or cohesive marketing. Again, a problem of the mixed messages

Originally Posted by MoiSurtout /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I totally agree with you. I don't think their packaging is cute. It just looks cheap and basic. It looks like the kind of palette I expect to see in Claire's or Rue21. I don't plan on shelling out $75 for the palette, but even if I had the money I would hesitate. I know they say "Don't judge a book by its cover", but hey, in my opinion if it costs $75 it better look like it's $75.

I guess it just makes me wonder why they picked that kind of packaging style. I saw a video that said that they created a competition (with a scholarship as the prize) for art school students to come up with a packaging idea. 

Even some cheaper make up has a better packaging than this. Korean brands like Etude House or Skin Food is a lot cheaper but has better packaging. (Idk how the quality compare though)

Yesterday morning at 11:26 am Central. I still can't believe it's here! Each item was wrapped into its own pretty pink paper, it really felt like gifts not just plain-Jane stick it in a box and ship. Maybe I'm just too easy to please, because I'm over the moon!

Wow! They must have overnighted it! I'm impressed by that shipping but wonder how long that will last.

Oh the lip balm promo expired. It was good for yesterday only. And it looks like the Ipsy promo is moot.

waterliner has been removed from your bag.

The Bonus Item - waterliner is out of stock and has been removed from the bag.

I am a crazy cat lady too and PROUD of it! LOL I have four little ones myself
cat.gif
It's funny because any cards, letters, gifts etc that I get usually have some sort of cat theme or cat picture, etc. on them from almost anyone I know.
laughno.gif

just got this email from ipsy, i saw it at first and got really excited before i finished reading.

i really like one user's idea that they should sample her products in ipsy. i would sign back up for a month of that. but spend $60 on products i know nothing about to get a free item? no thanks. i'm harder to sell to than some people, though.
I received that email too, I think that's a tad ridiculous. $60? Um no, that is TOO much to spend to get a free eyeliner that may or may not be a nice pigmented one and last long. To me, that doesn't seem like much of a deal. Such a shame, because if it was more reasonably priced, I would jump in for it since I love bright eyeliners.

Originally Posted by pandaristi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I totally agree with you. I don't think their packaging is cute. It just looks cheap and basic. It looks like the kind of palette I expect to see in Claire's or Rue21. I don't plan on shelling out $75 for the palette, but even if I had the money I would hesitate. I know they say "Don't judge a book by its cover", but hey, in my opinion if it costs $75 it better look like it's $75.

I guess it just makes me wonder why they picked that kind of packaging style. I saw a video that said that they created a competition (with a scholarship as the prize) for art school students to come up with a packaging idea. 

Even some cheaper make up has a better packaging than this. Korean brands like Etude House or Skin Food is a lot cheaper but has better packaging. (Idk how the quality compare though)
This is EXACTLY how I feel too! I would totally pay good money for something that looks better quality but it just looks cheap and breakable to me. I see what they're trying to do, make it clean, simple, etc. but I feel like they should have made it look a BIT more luxurious for those prices. These palettes are just BEGGING me to take the shadows out and put them in a ZPalette! LOL
smileno.gif

My em ordered just arrived!! The Life palette is heavy, doesn't feel cheap or flimsy at all to me. The empty travel palette is a perfect size for my purse, as is the lip Rose palette. I love the look and heft of the packaging I haven't tested the actual products yet, I'll do that tonight when Momma is sleeping and I have some uninterrupted time to myself.

I can't believe that it arrived so fast! I'll post photos on instagram later tonight.
Oh my word! That was RIDICULOUSLY fast!
icon_eek.gif
Unbelievable! Show us pics and let us know what you think of them!

Back