EM Cosmetics: Michelle Phan's new cosmetic line.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't particularly care for Michelle's brand (that is, her branding of herself) but I admire her hustle. Whatever you think of her, it's pretty clear that 1) she's a good businesswoman 2) she knows what she's doing and 3) she's clearly wealthy enough to buy whatever she wants -- or is, now after all her success -- yet her "branding" is clearly keeps marketing herself as a sort of quality drugstore-to-mid-high-end, and this is... way beyond that.

I mean, beyond her fans, I can't imagine seeing where this brand (with that kind of retail sticker) would be sold, and do well? I can't imagine anyone walking past the Clinique and Lancome and Estee Lauder counters at Macy's or Nordstrom for this. I'm mostly baffled why MP would let Lancome do this. If this brand fails, it would reflect badly on her overall branding too. I mean, the website is clearly built on her type of branding appealing to middle/high school girls. It just seems very... Rob Kardashian socks at Neiman Marcus to me e__e

I'm not hatin' I'm just...  confused. Like, even if this was L'oreal's decision, MP should've gotten some input. They're using her image (paying her to at least), but her reputation is also on the line. did she agree to the absurd pricing too?

Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't particularly care for Michelle's brand (that is, her branding of herself) but I admire her hustle. Whatever you think of her, it's pretty clear that 1) she's a good businesswoman 2) she knows what she's doing and 3) she's clearly wealthy enough to buy whatever she wants -- or is, now after all her success -- yet her "branding" is clearly keeps marketing herself as a sort of quality drugstore-to-mid-high-end, and this is... way beyond that.

I mean, beyond her fans, I can't imagine seeing where this brand (with that kind of retail sticker) would be sold, and do well? I can't imagine anyone walking past the Clinique and Lancome and Estee Lauder counters at Macy's or Nordstrom for this. I'm mostly baffled why MP would let Lancome do this. If this brand fails, it would reflect badly on her overall branding too. I mean, the website is clearly built on her type of branding appealing to middle/high school girls. It just seems very... Rob Kardashian socks at Neiman Marcus to me e__e

I'm not hatin' I'm just...  confused. Like, even if this was L'oreal's decision, MP should've gotten some input. They're using her image (paying her to at least), but her reputation is also on the line. did she agree to the absurd pricing too?
I'm sure she had a big role to play in all aspects of the business, including the [absurd] pricing.  What she's selling is herself, her journey, her vision, her dream, and well, who doesn't want to support her in her latest endeavor?  (Despite my criticisms about price, I kinda want to buy a palette!)  I think that's what the launch video is all about.  It's pure emotion.  And because 90% of what consumers buy is not rational, it's emotional, I'm betting that she's going to be successful.

Originally Posted by jrenee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm sure she had a big role to play in all aspects of the business, including the [absurd] pricing.  What she's selling is herself, her journey, her vision, her dream, and well, who doesn't want to support her in her latest endeavor?  (Despite my criticisms about price, I kinda want to buy a palette!)  I think that's what the launch video is all about.  It's pure emotion.  And because 90% of what consumers buy is not rational, it's emotional, I'm betting that she's going to be successful.
Maybe I'm skeptical or too rational ahahaha but the only time I'm gonna get emotional about buying makeup is if Stila has another 75% off glitch or if it's proceeds that go towards a charity.

Originally Posted by kawaiimeows /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by jrenee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Maybe I'm skeptical or too rational ahahaha but the only time I'm gonna get emotional about buying makeup is if Stila has another 75% off glitch or if it's proceeds that go towards a charity.

LOL I hated that glitch... only because I couldn't take advantage of it! LOL Guess it was best since I need to stop buying so much stuff that I barely use and end up giving to my girls!

Jrenee - I want to buy a palette as well since the colors do look nice however for $75 I'll pick up a couple of Urban Decay palettes or Inglot (which is having a 50% off sale on select items).

When was the 75% off glitch? o_O LOL this makes me sad that I missed Julep's glitch  that basically let you get $100+ of product for $15 this morning. Oops.

Yeah, I'm not buying the whole emotional thing either. I think, it's natural to want v/bloggers to succeed since the makeup community sees them as one of "us". I think what L'Oreal might've been (might be?) trying to do is to capitalize on the transitioning of her fans from youth into dedicated patrons of a brand. However, I feel like that's not going to work well just because the branding is too "cute". Michelle has a cute image --  there's nothing wrong with that. I can see the brand trying to get the sultry, adult, businesswoman look, but I'm just not buying it. The message is too mixed, like it's not sure what it wants.

When was the 75% off glitch? o_O LOL this makes me sad that I missed Julep's glitch  that basically let you get $100+ of product for $15 this morning. Oops.

Yeah, I'm not buying the whole emotional thing either. I think, it's natural to want v/bloggers to succeed since the makeup community sees them as one of "us". I think what L'Oreal might've been (might be?) trying to do is to capitalize on the transitioning of her fans from youth into dedicated patrons of a brand. However, I feel like that's not going to work well just because the branding is too "cute". Michelle has a cute image --  there's nothing wrong with that. I can see the brand trying to get the sultry, adult, businesswoman look, but I'm just not buying it. The message is too mixed, like it's not sure what it wants.
I think the stila glitch was around april or may. I remember the code had something to do with LA Lakers. It was ridiculous, I ended up getting two countless color pigments, a black liquid eyeliner (my holy grail product omfg), and a turqouise liquid eyeliner (formula was a dud, i really should've gotten that in the smudge stick) for like $20. I don't use the color pigments all that much since they are pretty bold and I wear more nudes but it was totally worth it just for the black eyeliner + some fun stuff to play with.

I think that's the crux of the problem. The pricing, the branding, the product design, the marketing, hell even the website.  I do feel like it's trying to be everything to everyone and utterly failing.  I would have loved if they stuck to one or two palettes, at a reasonable price point, build a following around a product based on versatility and practicality  (I do like the concept of repotting your eyeshadows and blushes), and build out from there.  

Based on the product design (the Life palettes and its 'bubble' design), it looks like something you'd find near the registers at Forever 21 or H & M.  Again, it's that cutesy brand.  It's where the price point throws me off - I like cute, I will buy cute, but not at a high-end price.

Speaking of confusion - the website looks like a social media outlet.  "Our sisterhood" and "Invite" links at the top... Strange.

P.S. I'm loving this discussion ladies - I usually don't get this intellectually stimulated on MuT!  I'm usually trying to curb my enthusiasm for beauty subs and hide my credit cards from impulse purchases!  
15.gif

I think the stila glitch was around april or may. I remember the code had something to do with LA Lakers. It was ridiculous, I ended up getting two countless color pigments, a black liquid eyeliner (my holy grail product omfg), and a turqouise liquid eyeliner (formula was a dud, i really should've gotten that in the smudge stick) for like $20. I don't use the color pigments all that much since they are pretty bold and I wear more nudes but it was totally worth it just for the black eyeliner + some fun stuff to play with.
Is there a thread where these kinds of glitches are posted?  I usually see them on the beauty box subs, but wanted to make sure I'm not losing out on the exciting deals on a regular basis!

meh, don't feel like creating an account just to VIEW the website. and the prices aren't what i would pay anyway.
Exactly my thoughts.

Is there a thread where these kinds of glitches are posted?  I usually see them on the beauty box subs, but wanted to make sure I'm not losing out on the exciting deals on a regular basis!
yup! i'm pretty sure this one was posted by another member in the Coupons, Codes, Promos, Sales, Shopping Tips Forum. we seem to have a good group who find the big steals and post them there!

So I was thinking... if I were in her shoes this is what I would have done. I would have - BEFORE launching the website - launch the products at a trade show such as IMATS, The Makeup Show, BeautyCon, PHAMExpo or any number of beauty trade shows. This would allow for unbias feedback from the every day person and from professionals (who would be more likely to purchase). I would give beauty bloggers products to try and so they can review on their own sites without the restrictions that L'Oreal put on those who were given the items to review on their site. (Those who received the items from EM Cosmetics had to agree to a NDA.) We won't see real feedback on the products from real people until people get their orders.

To me launching the products in a real environment such as a trade show would give people the chance to try the products, review the products and see the real products instead of photoshopped images (the lip swatches show that the colors are photoshopped so it may or may not be accurate to the actual product). The giving of the items to people who signed the NDA and the huge amount of positive feedback on EM's site does give me pause to wonder how accurate the reviews are as well as exactly who were the people who got the items. (I think Bethanny one of the Ipsy stylists was able to try the products.)

Looking at several reviews on various items no one really left a review and it was more gushing over how good the products are. To me the rating and gushing reviews are off putting. Example,

This person left five stars on the Day palette reviews:
love the calming neutral colors of this palette! I LOVE EVERYDAY DAILY WEAR....SOMETHING THAT LOOKS NATURAL BUT STILL BEAUTIFUL, THIS PALETTE HAS JUST THAT!

I was invited to try product

This person left four stars on the Career palette reviews:
Good choise Aug 14, 2013

I liked it

This person left five stars on the Love palette reviews:
I would definitely take some of these colors in the travel kit. The shimmery gold

I was invited to try product

I think that's the crux of the problem. The pricing, the branding, the product design, the marketing, hell even the website.  I do feel like it's trying to be everything to everyone and utterly failing.  I would have loved if they stuck to one or two palettes, at a reasonable price point, build a following around a product based on versatility and practicality  (I do like the concept of repotting your eyeshadows and blushes), and build out from there.  

Based on the product design (the Life palettes and its 'bubble' design), it looks like something you'd find near the registers at Forever 21 or H & M.  Again, it's that cutesy brand.  It's where the price point throws me off - I like cute, I will buy cute, but not at a high-end price.

Speaking of confusion - the website looks like a social media outlet.  "Our sisterhood" and "Invite" links at the top... Strange.

P.S. I'm loving this discussion ladies - I usually don't get this intellectually stimulated on MuT!  I'm usually trying to curb my enthusiasm for beauty subs and hide my credit cards from impulse purchases!  
15.gif
Dang you're really right about the social media vibes! I couldn't put my finger on it, but I get the same kind of incohesive confusion I get from Ipsy's website.

I feel like the packaging is cute for like forever21 kinda thing, but not for a high end brand. I think they were definitely trying to cater to EVERYONE, but that's not always possible. The packaging looks very plastic cheap ... I am intrigued by the concealer palette, but I really do wish it didn't look so cheap. It looks like a play set for kids, not real makeup. 

Originally Posted by v0ltagekid /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I feel like the packaging is cute for like forever21 kinda thing, but not for a high end brand. I think they were definitely trying to cater to EVERYONE, but that's not always possible. The packaging looks very plastic cheap ... I am intrigued by the concealer palette, but I really do wish it didn't look so cheap. It looks like a play set for kids, not real makeup. 
Is the vibe of a kiddie toy because the case is clear plastic?

Yeah, just clear plastic and white. I'm looking through my makeup collection (quite extensive mind you) and I don't even have anything that looks like that. The closes I can come to this, is the elf eye brow gel, in the clear cheap packaging.. (which by the way the plastic totally cracked on that one) 

The only other thing that pops into my head, is the elf eye shadow palette holder, the one where you can buy individual shadows and pop them in to create your own. I don't own that, but it gives me the same cheap feeling. I feel like if you are going to go BIG and try to sell your stuff the designer way, give me better packaging. I think that totally kills it, the concept is there, but I don't want that clear/white cheap plastic.

Seriously bothers me. I love Michele, I hate saying this, really. 

I posted on Instagram earlier when Allure posted pictures of the new em line. Since my phone won't cooperate and copy/paste at the moment, here's a screenshot of my thoughts on her new line (Also, strongly agree with you all that it is a bit shady you have to create an account just to view things!)

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So I was thinking... if I were in her shoes this is what I would have done. I would have - BEFORE launching the website - launch the products at a trade show such as IMATS, The Makeup Show, BeautyCon, PHAMExpo or any number of beauty trade shows. This would allow for unbias feedback from the every day person and from professionals (who would be more likely to purchase). I would give beauty bloggers products to try and so they can review on their own sites without the restrictions that L'Oreal put on those who were given the items to review on their site. (Those who received the items from EM Cosmetics had to agree to a NDA.) We won't see real feedback on the products from real people until people get their orders.

To me launching the products in a real environment such as a trade show would give people the chance to try the products, review the products and see the real products instead of photoshopped images (the lip swatches show that the colors are photoshopped so it may or may not be accurate to the actual product). The giving of the items to people who signed the NDA and the huge amount of positive feedback on EM's site does give me pause to wonder how accurate the reviews are as well as exactly who were the people who got the items. (I think Bethanny one of the Ipsy stylists was able to try the products.)

Looking at several reviews on various items no one really left a review and it was more gushing over how good the products are. To me the rating and gushing reviews are off putting. Example,
Totally agree with you, she should have had real people and bloggers receive these things at the makeup conventions. I would have even included the BEST item in the collection in the IPSY bag. Can you imagine how many people would be buying stuff, if they had the chance to try it first? I know I would have bought things, if I knew how good the quality was. C'mon if Urban Decay can give them lipsticks, why can't she or L'oreal? ... 

So I was thinking... if I were in her shoes this is what I would have done. I would have - BEFORE launching the website - launch the products at a trade show such as IMATS, The Makeup Show, BeautyCon, PHAMExpo or any number of beauty trade shows. This would allow for unbias feedback from the every day person and from professionals (who would be more likely to purchase). I would give beauty bloggers products to try and so they can review on their own sites without the restrictions that L'Oreal put on those who were given the items to review on their site. (Those who received the items from EM Cosmetics had to agree to a NDA.) We won't see real feedback on the products from real people until people get their orders. To me launching the products in a real environment such as a trade show would give people the chance to try the products, review the products and see the real products instead of photoshopped images (the lip swatches show that the colors are photoshopped so it may or may not be accurate to the actual product). The giving of the items to people who signed the NDA and the huge amount of positive feedback on EM's site does give me pause to wonder how accurate the reviews are as well as exactly who were the people who got the items. (I think Bethanny one of the Ipsy stylists was able to try the products.) Looking at several reviews on various items no one really left a review and it was more gushing over how good the products are. To me the rating and gushing reviews are off putting. Example
This is so well written! I could not agree more with you!

Dang you're really right about the social media vibes! I couldn't put my finger on it, but I get the same kind of incohesive confusion I get from Ipsy's website.

Right now I feel inspired to screenshot their entire website and send it to you to deconstruct. I may only do a few shots.

@PuffyEyes earlier mentioned this tacky 'broke' and 'ballin' reference on the site.  It did stun me because $16 is actually not how much I'd pay for lipstick if I'm broke.  50 cents is how much I'd pay!  

​

Sisterhood splash page - you have to fill out a profile, kind of like Ipsy.

Screenshot of my "Sisterhood" after filling out my profile ('sisters' blocked out for obvious reasons):  

You can see what's trending amongst your 'sisters':

​
 ​
Ok, I'm starting to feel overly harsh.  I don't mean to be.  I think this goes to show how chaotic this launch and brand seems to be.

​
 ​
Ok, I'm starting to feel overly harsh.  I don't mean to be.  I think this goes to show how chaotic this launch and brand seems to be.
That "trending" thing is what I'm seeing as well. So I don't think it's working right now. As for the "453 people like me" I think that reflects how many people are signed up on the site because I'm getting 458.

Honestly, I don't like how the site is set up as if it's a community. I get why they're doing it because it works for Ipsy but at the same time it's too... sexist. There are men on the site and since a person is essentially forced to sign up for an account to view the products to purchase (at least at this time) men are going to sign up for any number of reasons being they're buying for themselves or for a loved one. Either way the "our sisterhood" is sexist.

I just realized there is a privacy issue! ALL of the profiles SHOW the person's email address!

Back