EM Cosmetics: Michelle Phan's new cosmetic line.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by jrenee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Right now I feel inspired to screenshot their entire website and send it to you to deconstruct. I may only do a few shots.

​
Ok, I'm starting to feel overly harsh.  I don't mean to be.  I think this goes to show how chaotic this launch and brand seems to be.
Interesting, I'm definitely getting a social media through makeup impression from it. It's an interesting concept, but it does kind make the vision for the brand a little confusing to me.

Also I'm not feeling the lack of privacy with the profiles. It seems like this site is too new for me to few comfortable with putting anything personal on it.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So I was thinking... if I were in her shoes this is what I would have done. I would have - BEFORE launching the website - launch the products at a trade show such as IMATS, The Makeup Show, BeautyCon, PHAMExpo or any number of beauty trade shows. This would allow for unbias feedback from the every day person and from professionals (who would be more likely to purchase). I would give beauty bloggers products to try and so they can review on their own sites without the restrictions that L'Oreal put on those who were given the items to review on their site. (Those who received the items from EM Cosmetics had to agree to a NDA.) We won't see real feedback on the products from real people until people get their orders.

To me launching the products in a real environment such as a trade show would give people the chance to try the products, review the products and see the real products instead of photoshopped images (the lip swatches show that the colors are photoshopped so it may or may not be accurate to the actual product). The giving of the items to people who signed the NDA and the huge amount of positive feedback on EM's site does give me pause to wonder how accurate the reviews are as well as exactly who were the people who got the items. (I think Bethanny one of the Ipsy stylists was able to try the products.)

Looking at several reviews on various items no one really left a review and it was more gushing over how good the products are. To me the rating and gushing reviews are off putting. Example,

This person left five stars on the Day palette reviews:
love the calming neutral colors of this palette! I LOVE EVERYDAY DAILY WEAR....SOMETHING THAT LOOKS NATURAL BUT STILL BEAUTIFUL, THIS PALETTE HAS JUST THAT!

I was invited to try product
This person left four stars on the Career palette reviews:
Good choise Aug 14, 2013

I liked it

This person left five stars on the Love palette reviews:
I would definitely take some of these colors in the travel kit. The shimmery gold

I was invited to try product

Originally Posted by LydiaNichole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I posted on Instagram earlier when Allure posted pictures of the new em line. Since my phone won't cooperate and copy/paste at the moment, here's a screenshot of my thoughts on her new line (Also, strongly agree with you all that it is a bit shady you have to create an account just to view things!)
Both of you, well said!!!  
claps.gif

@Zadidoll, I wonder what the bloggers and the magazines will say once they do candid reviews of her products.  

I hate to say it but I don't see the brand surviving without a major overhaul to the website, packaging and prices. Hello Kitty is cheap and childlike but priced high because they've been around forever, have a huge fan base and cult following. But I'd be willing to bet a month's salary that the prices for plastic makeup palettes in the shape of a kitten's face didn't start out priced much more than a few bucks. It was the cuteness that had to draw people in, and only then could the prices slowly rise to where they are now. You've gotta get people hooked first and I just don't see this brand hooking the way they expect: kids will want it because it's juvenile but most won't be able to afford it; adults can afford it but most won't want it because it's too juvenile. Selling makeup to women is like selling drugs - offer a little for free (Ipsy would have been a great jumping off point), then once the buyer is hooked, start raising the price until they're reduced to living in a van down by the river.

Here's what I mean by privacy/security issues.

This young member is 14. Her full name and location is posted. At the top address bar you can see her email address! I'm sorry but to me any minor's profile should be made automatically private AND there names/ages/location/email address NOT revealed to the general public.

So I was thinking...

I would give beauty bloggers products to try and so they can review on their own sites without the restrictions that L'Oreal put on those who were given the items to review on their site.
Being a beauty blogger herself, I'm surprised she didn't do a promoted "sneak preview" to her "favorite" blogger friends to help promote it to get reviews all over social media.  The website is very casual in appearance, not luxury.

Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That "trending" thing is what I'm seeing as well. So I don't think it's working right now. As for the "453 people like me" I think that reflects how many people are signed up on the site because I'm getting 458.
I'm guessing that it means "There are 458 people who are similar to myself" not "There are 458 people who have an affinity for me"

Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This young member is 14. Her full name and location is posted. At the top address bar you can see her email address! I'm sorry but to me any minor's profile should be made automatically private AND there names/ages/location/email address NOT revealed to the general public.

Their privacy agreement says they don't accept information of children under 13, which complies with COPPA (Children's Online Privacy Protection Act)  Not sure what the rules are for teen aged minors.

Originally Posted by jbrookeb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate to say it but I don't see the brand surviving without a major overhaul to the website, packaging and prices. Hello Kitty is cheap and childlike but priced high because they've been around forever, have a huge fan base and cult following. But I'd be willing to bet a month's salary that the prices for plastic makeup palettes in the shape of a kitten's face didn't start out priced much more than a few bucks. It was the cuteness that had to draw people in, and only then could the prices slowly rise to where they are now. You've gotta get people hooked first and I just don't see this brand hooking the way they expect: kids will want it because it's juvenile but most won't be able to afford it; adults can afford it but most won't want it because it's too juvenile.

Selling makeup to women is like selling drugs - offer a little for free (Ipsy would have been a great jumping off point), then once the buyer is hooked, start raising the price until they're reduced to living in a van down by the river.
Hello Kitty is also expansive franchising so it's an entirely apt comparison. Sanrio started off small and focused on ... cartoons? I'm not sure. Like Pusheen, comparably. Once its huge fanbase was established, it became a brand that could sell makeup. But I'm sure Sanrio products' prices are vastly inflated now as well -- from their stationery. It certainly didn't start off that way.

I think that's the crux of the problem. The pricing, the branding, the product design, the marketing, hell even the website.  I do feel like it's trying to be everything to everyone and utterly failing.  I would have loved if they stuck to one or two palettes, at a reasonable price point, build a following around a product based on versatility and practicality  (I do like the concept of repotting your eyeshadows and blushes), and build out from there.  

Based on the product design (the Life palettes and its 'bubble' design), it looks like something you'd find near the registers at Forever 21 or H & M.  Again, it's that cutesy brand.  It's where the price point throws me off - I like cute, I will buy cute, but not at a high-end price.

Speaking of confusion - the website looks like a social media outlet.  "Our sisterhood" and "Invite" links at the top... Strange.

P.S. I'm loving this discussion ladies - I usually don't get this intellectually stimulated on MuT!  I'm usually trying to curb my enthusiasm for beauty subs and hide my credit cards from impulse purchases!  
15.gif
I agree with you about the brand and design. I don't see Marc Jacobs or Michael Kors making hearts with his hands for his new line. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

One of the mismatched aspects of the new product line and pricing is expecting blind following without a sense of actual product quality. She would do better if she had a sample item in the ipsy bags which has a strong following then segue into her launch. Rather than a small preview group, you have tons who can shout loud and proud.

For the kind of price tag they're asking for, consumers expect more and want to try it than drop $75. It's a huge risk for L'Oreal to look at short term profitability rather than long term loyalty. But that's just me.

Originally Posted by TracyT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree with you about the brand and design. I don't see Marc Jacobs or Michael Kors making hearts with his hands for his new line. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

One of the mismatched aspects of the new product line and pricing is expecting blind following without a sense of actual product quality. She would do better if she had a sample item in the ipsy bags which has a strong following then segue into her launch. Rather than a small preview group, you have tons who can shout loud and proud.

For the kind of price tag they're asking for, consumers expect more and want to try it than drop $75. It's a huge risk for L'Oreal to look at short term profitability rather than long term loyalty. But that's just me.
Alber Ebaz x Lancome had a cutesy type theme decorated on the makeup containers but it was lancome favorites, so you weren't getting a totally unfamiliar product if you are familiar with lancome's products already (palettes, definicils mascara, etc). plus the designs on the pallettes had a bit of an edge to them so that they would appeal to adults. Honestly, I expected Michelle's collab to be something like that.

Here's a pic of the alber ebaz lancome collection:

Originally Posted by v0ltagekid /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I feel like the packaging is cute for like forever21 kinda thing, but not for a high end brand. I think they were definitely trying to cater to EVERYONE, but that's not always possible. The packaging looks very plastic cheap ... I am intrigued by the concealer palette, but I really do wish it didn't look so cheap. It looks like a play set for kids, not real makeup. 
Originally Posted by v0ltagekid /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, just clear plastic and white. I'm looking through my makeup collection (quite extensive mind you) and I don't even have anything that looks like that. The closes I can come to this, is the elf eye brow gel, in the clear cheap packaging.. (which by the way the plastic totally cracked on that one) 

The only other thing that pops into my head, is the elf eye shadow palette holder, the one where you can buy individual shadows and pop them in to create your own. I don't own that, but it gives me the same cheap feeling. I feel like if you are going to go BIG and try to sell your stuff the designer way, give me better packaging. I think that totally kills it, the concept is there, but I don't want that clear/white cheap plastic.

Seriously bothers me. I love Michele, I hate saying this, really. 
I agree with both of you! The packaging looks flimsy, bulky, and just downright cheap when you compare it to the price tag. Even elf stepped up the packaging with their "studio line" and tried to make it look more high end, stepping away from the white/plastic of their $1 line...I'm wondering why the EM line can't do the same?! I'm not sure about you guys, but I'm much more attracted to the darker packaging of most high-end products. I think dark navys, deep charcoal grays, deep burgundies, golds, and black (but easier to clean than NARS!) would have been a better step in the right direction on packaging choices. Also, not a fan of how huge or bulky the products appear to be. Since I'm assuming Michelle travels quite often for business, you would think her own company would come up with more travel-friendly, less-bulky packaging. 

Both of you, well said!!!  
claps.gif
Thank you!

I hate to say it but I don't see the brand surviving without a major overhaul to the website, packaging and prices. Hello Kitty is cheap and childlike but priced high because they've been around forever, have a huge fan base and cult following. But I'd be willing to bet a month's salary that the prices for plastic makeup palettes in the shape of a kitten's face didn't start out priced much more than a few bucks. It was the cuteness that had to draw people in, and only then could the prices slowly rise to where they are now. You've gotta get people hooked first and I just don't see this brand hooking the way they expect: kids will want it because it's juvenile but most won't be able to afford it; adults can afford it but most won't want it because it's too juvenile.

Selling makeup to women is like selling drugs - offer a little for free (Ipsy would have been a great jumping off point), then once the buyer is hooked, start raising the price until they're reduced to living in a van down by the river.
I couldn't have said it better myself! Many of those in her target age range are too young to shell out the money for the higher price tag, and those of us who are experienced with makeup are not attracted to the cheap-looking, childish packaging. Those of us who love makeup and are willing to buy higher-dollar items look for quality, value, and durability...I just don't see any of those present with this line right now. Hopefully they will make some adjustments and changes. 

Also, on the note of juvenile...I'm really not a fan of the pictures on the website with the "duck face" poses. If you want to have consumers take you seriously as a brand and purchase pricey items off of your website, don't post pictures that imitate a frat party, more so than a high-end makeup store. (Sorry, random tangent!) 

This is not good at all! :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

I strongly dislike how they're sharing everyone's information in that manner. They should model their website more like Sephora's. 

I like Michelle Phan's videos and I think she's a cool person. However, her em makeup products are priced too high.  She made a lot of videos on ways to save money by making homemade masks and etc. and I thought her new cosmetic products would be affordable, but they're not to me and many of us. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Agreed!  Really well put too.  

I can see another major phail coming, but I was expecting her to price those lipsticks at $20+.

And there's not much product in there.

I watched a majority of the tutorials on her brand site and after seeing the outrageous prices(a single (loose) eyeshadow costs more than a single mac eyeshadow and only $2 less than a mac pigment) I thought I would be seeing high quality products in use but the eyeshadow pigmentation was often lacking and also looked very chalky/cakey, The lip products looked patchy, and the foundation made them look greasy! I'm sure there are hits and misses with her brand just like any other, but when you are just starting out I think it is a little unreasonable and almost laughable to expect that kind of price tag to be paid. 

Looks like Michelle will be on Good Morning America tomorrow morning. With the privacy issue I'm worried that people - specifically kids - will inadvertently expose their names, ages, location and picture plus the email mess.

I'm sitting here munching on a bag of Reese's minis and I almost choked from laughing.  This just cracked me up!

The thing with Hello Kitty, at least the nail polish, is that it's really nice polish.  Very nice formula and really cute colours.  Some of them are expensive because they're discontinued.  I have a Hello Kitty polish (Blueberry) that I find myself using a lot and considering I have upwards of 375 polishes, that's saying something.  I got that one from my daughter as a stocking stuffer but I liked it so much I bought all of the colours I could find on Amazon.  My daughter bought the one she gave me off Sephora.com for $4 on sale.  THAT is how you build a customer base.  Because seriously, it never would have occurred to me to buy Hello Kitty nail polish until I got that one.

Quote: Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hello Kitty is also expansive franchising so it's an entirely apt comparison. Sanrio started off small and focused on ... cartoons? I'm not sure. Like Pusheen, comparably. Once its huge fanbase was established, it became a brand that could sell makeup. But I'm sure Sanrio products' prices are vastly inflated now as well -- from their stationery. It certainly didn't start off that way.

They are not off to a good start at all. I was excited to see it had launched, but once I saw the site and prices - nope. Way too high to launch now. I agree that she should have put them out on an expo first, especially one like Generation Beauty (granted they may not have been ready then but you get the point). Personally, I think that they should have made singles like Yaby and put them into the ipsy bags over the next couple months to build her base before releasing $75 palettes. Some people said the shadows didn't appear all that great either. I will not spend $75 for her palettes. They should have lowered their expectations a bit as to how to public would react. Things such as privacy should have been taken into account. If anything, they should have made it so that profiles are not available to others at this time - I don't think you would need one in the first place. It is ridiculous to have to sign up to view products. I had to keep refreshing and opening new tabs just to see products without making an account.

On a side note, it is also bad timing with the whole August ipsy bag UD controversy and then DHL delays. August is just one disappointment upon another so far with both ipsy and Michelle.

I built a cart to see if she uses DHL to ship and the good news is no, she uses UPS. Bad news is shipping is $7. But the perplexing news is there's tax added...? I can't find any info about where items are shipped from or whether there's a warehouse or store in FL, so I'm just curious.

I built a cart to see if she uses DHL to ship and the good news is no, she uses UPS. Bad news is shipping is $7. But the perplexing news is there's tax added...? I can't find any info about where items are shipped from or whether there's a warehouse or store in FL, so I'm just curious.
No idea where the products are shipping from but the company is based in NY.

Luxury Brands Consumer Relations

575 5th Avenue

New York, NY 10017

Originally Posted by gayestbaby /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What happened with ipsy and UD?
What do you mean?

That "trending" thing is what I'm seeing as well. So I don't think it's working right now. As for the "453 people like me" I think that reflects how many people are signed up on the site because I'm getting 458.

Honestly, I don't like how the site is set up as if it's a community. I get why they're doing it because it works for Ipsy but at the same time it's too... sexist. There are men on the site and since a person is essentially forced to sign up for an account to view the products to purchase (at least at this time) men are going to sign up for any number of reasons being they're buying for themselves or for a loved one. Either way the "our sisterhood" is sexist.

I just realized there is a privacy issue! ALL of the profiles SHOW the person's email address!
Sometimes on here I refer to us as ladies or something, and end up feeling like a POS.  My mom was a MUA too, I should know better.  Men who are MUAs or/and like to wear makeup are ignored too often.

Back