February 2013 No buy/low buy thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by 19ten20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

On a side note, when you guys hit pan on a product do you find the product may get destroyed easily?

For example, my powder products often flake and crumble once I hit plan.

On one hand I am happy that I'm done with the product, but on the other hand I am disappointed that a good product was ruined and wasted.
I find that I'm fine when I hit pan but when I break through to the edge of the pan then the crumbling starts and I might as well toss it. I've been using this quad for a couple of years and once I broke through to the edge on the two shadows on the right they started crumbling and making a mess every time I tried to use it. I have a blush I hit pan on a few weeks ago and I'm trying to not break through to the edge of the pan so it will last awhile longer (it's my favorite shade).

28 days this month. I am pretty sure I can commit to a no buy this month. Last month was unsuccessful so i'm staying away from the makeup isles in the drugstore. I will be doing a lot of online 'window' shopping. hahaha!

Originally Posted by liquidlinernote /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is a bit odd, but I want to know if you guys have experienced it at all either:

I'm almost *trying* to run through my products faster. Like I have a hand cream next to me at my desk that I'm working to finish quicker than I would normally so that when it's done I can buy a new one. It's not like I'm coating them in hand cream and leaving them greasy all day, but I find I re-apply constantly and get a bit of a thrill when I can feel it starting to get empty.

But I already have a second hand cream next to it (from pre-November when I started my low/no buy), so it's not like I'll get to rush out to the drug store as soon as it's done. But this mentality does worry me a bit.
If you keep track of the $ you are saving will you be less likely to try to use things up faster? Just a thought.

BTW, I like your two strike rule - I was going to use a one strike rule when testing items that I have been ignoring but I know there are a few colors that I am more likely to wear in the summer rather than this bitter cold weather we have in my area right now. If I absolutely dislike an item (especially formulation) I'll probably stick with the one strike :)

Originally Posted by angiepang1e /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I need the support of this thread, for sure.  I bought a few things from theBalm on Hautelook again.. but I'm really going to try to make Feb a NO BUY for me.  PS: What's a make out?
We have a Makeout 2013 thread.  It's basically a contract with yourself about limits you are setting for the year. For most it is 10 color cosmetic purchases throughout the whole year.  What is included and what is exempt, and whether you allow replacements when you use something up without counting it are all aspects of the contract.  Many do a purge of unloved items along with the buying limit.  Write it down, sign it to make it official, and hold yourself accountable.  If you go to the thread, there's a link to the pinksofoxy video that started it all.

By the way - since I bought 5 of my 10 items for the year in January, February will be a no-buy for me.  And all my subs have been cancelled.  Let's see how long I can keep it that way!

Originally Posted by liquidlinernote /img/forum/go_quote.gif

1) I can only purchase a product when I have 100% run out of all types of that product. For instance, most lotions are hand *and* body. Which means that if I run out of a hand cream, I have to finish all my lotions before I can buy another. There is no allowance for eyeshadow or lipstick shades, because God knows I'm not likely to run out of any red lipsticks or gold eyeshadows.

2) Purchased products should be researched ahead of time and not bought on an impulse. That prevents disappointment, overpaying and the temptation to go back in and buy another because I messed up the first time.

3) If I try a product for a full week and decide that I really won't ever wear it, I can set it aside from my makeup collection. I'm going to do a "two strike" rule where it can only be thrown out if I run out of everything else, try it again and it still doesn't work for me after another week.

4) No cheating with vitamins, skin care, etc. If I'm using it to better my appearance, it counts as a cosmetic and is part of this rule.

5) Expired products may be tossed out.

6) Makeup tools can only be tossed if broken and no buying individual eye brushes during this period, but if a powder, blush or kabuki brush breaks, I can re-purchase. A one-time allowance is being made for an eyelash curler because my current one is absolutely awful.

And that's it. Feedback?
Sounds good to me.  Your 3rd rule is a great idea i havent really seen before...I will have to add that to my rules as well. 

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oooh, what'd they do? I've never joined LBB, but I've always been tempted. If I can have even more reasons to stay away, the better. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
They've told a few girls who were regularly buying lbbs (like 2+ times a month) it was better if they went their separate ways. They won't let you cancel more than once even though they claim to have a happiness guaranteed policy. The customer service people are generally just pretty rude and act like you are trying to scam them. 

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They've told a few girls who were regularly buying lbbs (like 2+ times a month) it was better if they went their separate ways. They won't let you cancel more than once even though they claim to have a happiness guaranteed policy. The customer service people are generally just pretty rude and act like you are trying to scam them. 
Haha so they got mad at people coming back for repeat business within the same month? Since when has a company denied or been angry about extra money? Lol.

Originally Posted by JessicaMarie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Haha so they got mad at people coming back for repeat business within the same month? Since when has a company denied or been angry about extra money? Lol.
since they make so much money and have such an addictive service that they know they'll keep making money no matter what lol. it's really crappy what they're doing. they're abusing the fact that their business is addictive. 

I will be on a low buy, I had to cancel Ipsy and BB last minute. Last month i only bought a color tattoo but this month I only want to buy a lipstick since I lost my revlon lip butter, I have looked everywhere and still cant find it :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by diana16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I will be on a low buy, I had to cancel Ipsy and BB last minute. Last month i only bought a color tattoo but this month I only want to buy a lipstick since I lost my revlon lip butter, I have looked everywhere and still cant find it :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
great job! I canceled Ipsy last minute but have been sucked into other subs in the meantime (Beauty Army and Yuzen). I should really cancel BB as well but their point system has gotten me so much stuff (especially in combination with coupons/codes)...like I NEED anymore crap even if it is free lol :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Great rules! This is my first official REAL no buy and I'll definitely be using your rules as a guideline! I love #1,2 and 4. I always get skin care items and now I have a million face washes and masks but only ONE face lol thanks for sharing ur rules!

Sorry to double-post, but I want to do this before I forget. I keep backsliding on my low/no-buy and a lot of you have told me that writing out my definitive rules make it a lot easier to know for sure where the line is (obviously). So here are my rules, and please feel free to give me feedback on whether you think it's too soft, too strict, your experiences, your rules, etc. Mostly I want to be kept accountable. As of February 1st, 2013 for the next nine months: 1) I can only purchase a product when I have 100% run out of all types of that product. For instance, most lotions are hand *and* body. Which means that if I run out of a hand cream, I have to finish all my lotions before I can buy another. There is no allowance for eyeshadow or lipstick shades, because God knows I'm not likely to run out of any red lipsticks or gold eyeshadows. 2) Purchased products should be researched ahead of time and not bought on an impulse. That prevents disappointment, overpaying and the temptation to go back in and buy another because I messed up the first time. 3) If I try a product for a full week and decide that I really won't ever wear it, I can set it aside from my makeup collection. I'm going to do a "two strike" rule where it can only be thrown out if I run out of everything else, try it again and it still doesn't work for me after another week. 4) No cheating with vitamins, skin care, etc. If I'm using it to better my appearance, it counts as a cosmetic and is part of this rule. 5) Expired products may be tossed out. 6) Makeup tools can only be tossed if broken and no buying individual eye brushes during this period, but if a powder, blush or kabuki brush breaks, I can re-purchase. A one-time allowance is being made for an eyelash curler because my current one is absolutely awful. And that's it. Feedback?

Decided to switch from a no buy to a low buy this month. I think I can definitely approach purchasing makeup in a normal manner and not go over the top. Got a few things today, but I didn't let myself go out of control. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

One day at a time, eh?  

I wrote up my list of beauty-related purchases over the last 3 months and put it up in my bathroom.  It's horribly long.  Then I also put up a "wishlist" and another list where I will record any purchases for the month.  I won't let myself buy anything that isn't on the wishlist, and it's not going on the wishlist unless I actually need it.  If it's something I don't need but really, really, REALLY want, I might put it on the wishlist for March and revisit the item later.  

I think creating these lists that are staring me in the face every day will help me to keep my spending below a certain level.  Fingers crossed!  Also it will be really glaringly obvious if I purchase something that wasn't on the wishlist so there shouldn't be any gray areas.

Originally Posted by nishino /img/forum/go_quote.gif

One day at a time, eh?  

I wrote up my list of beauty-related purchases over the last 3 months and put it up in my bathroom.  It's horribly long.  Then I also put up a "wishlist" and another list where I will record any purchases for the month.  I won't let myself buy anything that isn't on the wishlist, and it's not going on the wishlist unless I actually need it.  If it's something I don't need but really, really, REALLY want, I might put it on the wishlist for March and revisit the item later.

I think creating these lists that are staring me in the face every day will help me to keep my spending below a certain level.  Fingers crossed!
Lists are really the way to go. I make lists and do lots of research before I buy anything. Yes, I'm guilty of impulse purchases here and there, but I've gotten much better at really looking into things. I find that if I spend the time, I won't end up with a makeup drawer full of stuff I never use. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by JessicaMarie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Lists are really the way to go. I make lists and do lots of research before I buy anything. Yes, I'm guilty of impulse purchases here and there, but I've gotten much better at really looking into things. I find that if I spend the time, I won't end up with a makeup drawer full of stuff I never use. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Yeah, I found in January that I did a lot more online "window shopping" and kept putting stuff in shopping carts but not actually purchasing.  Seeing a list with 15-20 items of stuff I WANT, makes it easy to scroll through the list and pick out the items i actually NEED (usually none). 

I think a nice side effect of putting off those impulse purchases, is that when I did purchase any color cosmetics in Jan, it was because they were going for a pretty significant discount!

I went bananas in the last 2 weeks with my buying. February is going to be a no buy for me. I already threw out the Ulta mailer I got on Friday. I am going to focus on using all of the things I just bought and trying to create interesting looks and learn how each product can be worked.

Hmm, I just noticed another nice side effect of list-making.  Having all my purchases over the last few months listed out and posted up means I can easily see what I bought 3 months ago, and do a mental checklist of "did I use it?" "am I using it now?" or "what happened to that thing, anyway?"

Originally Posted by nishino /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hmm, I just noticed another nice side effect of list-making.  Having all my purchases over the last few months listed out and posted up means I can easily see what I bought 3 months ago, and do a mental checklist of "did I use it?" "am I using it now?" or "what happened to that thing, anyway?"
Mhmm. Last fall I went color tattoo crazy and when I was organizing my makeup I realized I never did more than swatch them. I'm an extremely visual person so I have since stored my makeup in a way where I can see everything I have. I find I'm using this a lot more frequently now. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

wave.gif
  So in the last 5 months or so I've getting into makeup and I've realized I've been spending way too much money on it!  I use mint.com to track my expenses and my beauty purchases were one of my biggest spending categories, oops! I just recently finished grad school so I have tons of student loans and should be focusing on paying them back instead of buying more eyeshadows. haha.

I'm hoping this thread will help keep me accountable for my February low buy.  I already messed up a "no buy" by purchasing a couple of items from Hautelook's theBalm sale, but they were two items I had planned at purchasing at full price anyway, so I'm not mad at myself for getting them for half off.

My rules are pretty simple... don't buy any beauty related products unless they are at least 50% off and are things I wanted BEFORE seeing the sale.  Seems reasonable enough.

Wish me luck!!

Back