February 2013 No buy/low buy thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had a great month too. The only things I bought are some brushes because my collection is pathetic and my fav one is taped together and a replacement foundation. I lost my liquid foundation and its the only one that works well for me in the dry winter months. I'm going to continue with my low/no buy for a couple more months.

I think it takes awhile to feel OKAY with not buying. my desire to buy makeup has gone away (almost...) but it's moved to other things (clothes..) I wonder what it'll take to get to where I was 2-3 years ago when I didn't even have THAT desire? I got so much more done, work and hobby wise. Now I feel like shopping is my hobby and it makes me sad.

Originally Posted by javagirl87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think it takes awhile to feel OKAY with not buying. my desire to buy makeup has gone away (almost...) but it's moved to other things (clothes..) I wonder what it'll take to get to where I was 2-3 years ago when I didn't even have THAT desire? I got so much more done, work and hobby wise. Now I feel like shopping is my hobby and it makes me sad.
I feel so similar to this, and it makes me sad too. I've always had a problem with buying clothes and make up and at times I do consider it a hobby...and I HATE that. I want to save money and spend it on experiences, not things, but I have such a hard time of it.

oh my gosh, yes!  I too feel that shopping has become an actual hobby.  I really do enjoy wandering for hours and hours looking at clothes and makeup.  But all the clothes I bought over the last year?  In my closet untouched.  And I have nothing else to show for the time I spent shopping.  Luckily I've been able to stop clothes shopping, it's the makeup/skincare that I'm having more trouble with.

I have to say this forum really helps a LOT.  Reading the experiences and observations of others going through the same process is just really helpful and encouraging.

I'm glad to hear that February's been a good month for so many of us. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Unfortunately, it hasn't been all that good for me. I've really slipped up a lot compared to January. I'm not even sure why I bought so much stuff. I've been thinking about it for a couple of days now.

Some of the items I bought were actually useful because I didn't have any similar ones (base coat for nails and colorless lip pencil, for example). Some things I just bought because I was feeling depressed because of skin trouble (foundation sample, different kinds of concealers when I only should've bought one etc.) and I even bought stuff for no reason (UD Glinda palette, not really necessary but not feeling too bad about that one to be honest). I don't know if I was bored or trying to cheer myself up or what came over me but I'm disappointed. Oh well...

I'm hoping that by confessing this here, March will be much better for me. Just need to keep in mind: progress, not perfection! 
sdrop.gif

For me, posting here and taking the time to sort through my stash has kept me mindful of what I have and what I don't need. Now I'm just curbing what I want vs need :)

I've been doing very well since the beginning of the new year: did'nt buy anything in terms of cosmetics.I am planning on going this way and using the stuff I already have.

I unintentionally did a low-buy this month! Bought a few things as gifts for a friend, but only bought an eyeshadow brush and drugstore eyeshadow and lipstick for myself.

i think what would will add an element to my project pans/no buy is only allowing myself to use/choose from 20 products until I finish one and can put a replacement in the box/bag. I'm never going to finish anything If i keep using different products! I know i'll be limited but I don't wear much makeup...and I don't feel accomplished with my no buy since I don't seem to be finishing anything besides perfume samples...

I hit pan on an eyeshadow in my naked palette today and that was a good feeling. I don't feel like I'll hit pan ever on any shadow not in my naked palette though lol. I look at my collection and have to wonder why I bought all of this bright eyeshadow when the wildest look I do is generally using them as a liner. My main eye looks are either a silver smokey eye, neutrals as in naked palette only, or purple on a really crazy day. 

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I hit pan on an eyeshadow in my naked palette today and that was a good feeling. I don't feel like I'll hit pan ever on any shadow not in my naked palette though lol. I look at my collection and have to wonder why I bought all of this bright eyeshadow when the wildest look I do is generally using them as a liner. My main eye looks are either a silver smokey eye, neutrals as in naked palette only, or purple on a really crazy day. 
Haha, I have the same problem. I think for me I get just so into the colors and think they are so pretty, but in reality, I'm not going to wear them on my eyes. I do love me some purple shadows, but that's probably as adventurous as I get. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

So far so good. This month, I brought an Urban Decay Oz palette before my low buy started, then 3 drugstore black eyeliners at a discount (I'm trying to find one that I really like), revlon eyelash curler, and a $2 lip gloss. And I stopped myself from purchasing two $40 palettes. Not bad compared to other months. I kinda wanna do this again!

Since I started watching collection videos on YouTube and I joined this forum I've been thinking more before I purchase something (at least online lol). :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I wish everyone luck with their goals!

Originally Posted by javagirl87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i think what would will add an element to my project pans/no buy is only allowing myself to use/choose from 20 products until I finish one and can put a replacement in the box/bag. I'm never going to finish anything If i keep using different products! I know i'll be limited but I don't wear much makeup...and I don't feel accomplished with my no buy since I don't seem to be finishing anything besides perfume samples...
I think that's a great idea. I actually did something similar to this a week ago. I chose some lip products (3 lipsticks and 3 glosses) and eyeshadows (some samples and < 5 full sizes) that I wanted to concentrate on and put the rest away in a storage drawer. It's been working quite nicely so far. Give it a try and see how it goes for you! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

javagirl87, I'm doing something similar as well with my lipsticks in particular. I have an acrylic lipstick tray that houses 24 tubes. Since I have waaay more lipstick than that, I decided to choose 24 (different colors, formulas, brands, a couple of faves, and even some lip balms) and put it on display on my makeup dresser. And I use strictly those until one runs out and I can replace it with another from my stash. It's still taking a while to go through, yes, but I like having the variety, and it's helping me make a wider dent in my stash. The rest of my lipsticks live in drawers, and before I came up with this little system, I would get flustered trying to pick one color and then just end up using the same one everyday.

Some things I've observed: YSL lipsticks and MAC Sheen Supremes are not very hard to go through because they are so soft. Ditto with Urban Decay lipsticks (now discontinued) lipsticks, which aren't soft, but I really loved certain colors, so I just used them more. My matte shades take longer to go through because they're more pigmented and/or they tend to be more drying so I don't reapply as often. I've also learned that I am definitely a lipstick girl over a gloss girl. I don't have nearly as much gloss as lipstick, but I certainly have a lot. But lipgloss generally has been the easiest thing to not buy because of this, and I've only accumulated the newer ones I have through beauty subs.

I'm happy to hear this is working for some of you! I think i'll start this on March 1st (even though i've been using the same products this month I may just cut down the number of choices. And I guess If I really really get bored of something i'll switch it out for another color or something.  We'll see how it goes! I've been using the same shadow all month and i'm getting really sick of it :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> so I may switch it out for a palette instead.

February is over, and while I didn't manage a no buy, I did manage to keep it to a very low buy.  I'm happy about it.  Going for a no-buy in March.  

Back