February 2013 No buy/low buy thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ended up buying two pairs of shoes and a jacket from zulilly for $65 after shipping...they're things I need though and clothes were never a part of my low buy. It's a lot of money but at least now I don't feel as guilty getting these (I need a better wardrobe) since I haven't been spending random money on cosmetics

Originally Posted by JessicaMarie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Anyone know the return policy at Macy's when you buy from a counter? Got the Dior Cherie Bow Palette and once I got it home and swatched it, it just really isn't as great as I thought. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
You should be able to return it, no problem. Macy's cosmetic counters are usually really good about returns.

what do you think they do with makeup that's been swatched and returned? i've always wondered lol

Originally Posted by javagirl87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

what do you think they do with makeup that's been swatched and returned? i've always wondered lol
I was thinking maybe they sanitize them and use them as testers? Not sure. 

Originally Posted by javagirl87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Defect it and send it back to the manufacturer, they'll get what they paid for it back. I'm not sure what happens then though. 

Ooooooh Q_Q Sephora is offering triple points for a perfume purchase? I've had my eye on Tom Ford Black Orchid for months now, and I can grab the Murad bonus which is supposedly worth $40

I haven't bought anything this month save food and that pokemon game for $15 -- plus I'm getting $76 reimbursed to me from this stupid Clarisonic purchase I never got... :S $70 for 210 points + a sephora gwp. Should I go for it? I'd rather have this one perfume than any of the millions of tiny vials I keep getting sent. It's truly my HG, but it's so expensive I almost never have the justification to buy it

I'm also tempted by the triple points.. I've been holding off on buying Guerlain's La Petite Robe Noire for a while... Must stay strong

Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ooooooh Q_Q Sephora is offering triple points for a perfume purchase? I've had my eye on Tom Ford Black Orchid for months now, and I can grab the Murad bonus which is supposedly worth $40

I haven't bought anything this month save food and that pokemon game for $15 -- plus I'm getting $76 reimbursed to me from this stupid Clarisonic purchase I never got... :S $70 for 210 points + a sephora gwp. Should I go for it? I'd rather have this one perfume than any of the millions of tiny vials I keep getting sent. It's truly my HG, but it's so expensive I almost never have the justification to buy it
Hmm, tough question. I guess it depends on whether you already have a lot of perfumes you need to get through and whether you were aiming for a low buy or a no-buy. Although honestly, if I were you I'd probably feel justified buying it if it's truly your HG and you do not have too many perfumes that need to be used up. That sounds like a good deal - as long as you don't give in to the temptation to purchase anything else. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

If it was my HG I would ask myself how much I have left of the current bottle (i assume you own it if it's your HG) and how long will it take you finish that one? Perfumes DO go bad eventually and you don't want one sitting there collecting dust. Also you never know, I tend to change my mind about liking a perfume after a couple of years.

So far managing to avoid the tripe points for perfume...but the temptation is STRONG!  I have zillions of little samples to use up, and some larger bottles too.  I don't need more, but the thought of triple points makes me WANT to buy.

I have been doing pretty well on my no-buy, but spent $3 on a Birchbox order--I mostly used points.  I completely ran out of makeup remover and toner--no backups, no samples, no nothing.  I figured it was OK to buy in that case.

Originally Posted by missionista /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So far managing to avoid the tripe points for perfume...but the temptation is STRONG!  I have zillions of little samples to use up, and some larger bottles too.  I don't need more, but the thought of triple points makes me WANT to buy.
I also feel like I should use up all my perfume samples before I get the perfume I want, but it's almost impossible to get through all of them. :C I don't even particularly like most of the perfume I get... but BB keeps foisting them on us and frequently at Sephora, they're like the only samples in the shop... =.=;;

I'm probably going to skip the triple points. It's a nice bonus, but they'll probably run an event like it again, eventually. It's only a bummer since perfumes are expensive, which means you do get a lot of points, but mreh. If I were actually to miss out on the item, it'd be a bummer, but points are just a perk. We'll see how I feel in 6 days though XD;;

one of my other subs didn't work out for me (the ditses underwear sub was too big for me and they don't have any plans to get XS's...blah). so in addition to ipsy and BB i'll be canceling that one too. Good for my bank account and my low buy but now I feel sad, i was looking forward to that sub.

I spent $3 on a BB order as well, I used 500 of my points to get $60 worth of stuff (well $63 since I paid $3) because of the code they had.  I got a lot lol but I don't consider that breaking my low buy since I got zero makeup items...I even got a jigger instead! 

I also feel like I should use up all my perfume samples before I get the perfume I want, but it's almost impossible to get through all of them. :C I don't even particularly like most of the perfume I get... but BB keeps foisting them on us and frequently at Sephora, they're like the only samples in the shop... =.=;;
Have you tried repurposing your perfume samples? I use unwanted perfumes to scent my bathroom, clothes drawers etc. That's pretty much the only way I can use them up. I hope it's not considered cheating, haha.

i was thinking of doing that with my perfume samples i don't like, but then i thought...why would i want my room to smell like a perfume i don't like? lol.  so i just try to give them away or throw them out if i really don't like them.

I've never done a low/no buy officially, but I am trying to change my life! Spring is always so hard for me financially (mainly car insurance/taxes- I'm an independent contractor so I always owe a bunch of money), so I am going to try to only buy necesseties!

Originally Posted by mauu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Have you tried repurposing your perfume samples? I use unwanted perfumes to scent my bathroom, clothes drawers etc. That's pretty much the only way I can use them up. I hope it's not considered cheating, haha.
I'm not really sure I want my clothes/rooms to smell like some of the stuff if I don't really want to smell like some of the stuff. Maybe I should do that though.

So my school is having an alumni event, and with being utterly out of clothes / having left all my dresses at home, I went shopping today. LOL I didn't really succeed at buying a dress I wanted, but I picked up a "basics" dress from H&M for about $13. In the end I got 5 pieces of clothing (3 cardigans, 1 sweater, and the 1 basics skirt) for $67 so about $13.40/item of clothing on average. It's almost scary how cheap H&M can be sometimes. I've been very on-and-off about them lately, but the one in Soho across from All Saints/Bloomingdale is really chic and awesome. The only one block up next to the Uniqlo is full of fail though. Strange how inconsistent they are.

LOL, so in that mode, I found myself on Justfab a couple of hours later, and I realised they were carrying discounted Jessica Simpson shoes too, instead of just their own brand. I had credits left over from my return of one of their shoes, so I grabbed JS pumps for $10. XDDD

I accidentally spilled a bunch of my Lancome BI-facil and made a horrible sad face since I only had the travel size and i'm almost done with it. So feeling terrible, I logged onto Birchbox.com... the bi-facil is $27, so if you add on one of the pick two packs and bblearnvest, you can get two samples + bi-facil for $17. BUUUTTTT I stayed strong and didn't click the order button XDD I still have some Sephora-brand make-up remover left. Using it again, I still liked it as much as I did before getting the travel-size bi-facil, so I feel like I can't really justify getting more. I'll totally take it if it's GWP though.

So I spent about $77 today, but I got a pair of pumps that usually sell for $50-90, and 5 pieces of clothing I actually need/will wear, so I don't consider it a splurge. I guess I'm just starting my wardrobe revamp earlier than I anticipated. I STAYED STRONG ON THE MAKEUP THOUGH!

So my school is having an alumni event, and with being utterly out of clothes / having left all my dresses at home, I went shopping today. LOL I didn't really succeed at buying a dress I wanted, but I picked up a "basics" dress from H&M for about $13. In the end I got 5 pieces of clothing (3 cardigans, 1 sweater, and the 1 basics skirt) for $67 so about $13.40/item of clothing on average. It's almost scary how cheap H&M can be sometimes. I've been very on-and-off about them lately, but the one in Soho across from All Saints/Bloomingdale is really chic and awesome. The only one block up next to the Uniqlo is full of fail though. Strange how inconsistent they are.

LOL, so in that mode, I found myself on Justfab a couple of hours later, and I realised they were carrying discounted Jessica Simpson shoes too, instead of just their own brand. I had credits left over from my return of one of their shoes, so I grabbed JS pumps for $10. XDDD

I accidentally spilled a bunch of my Lancome BI-facil and made a horrible sad face since I only had the travel size and i'm almost done with it. So feeling terrible, I logged onto Birchbox.com... the bi-facil is $27, so if you add on one of the pick two packs and bblearnvest, you can get two samples + bi-facil for $17. BUUUTTTT I stayed strong and didn't click the order button XDD I still have some Sephora-brand make-up remover left. Using it again, I still liked it as much as I did before getting the travel-size bi-facil, so I feel like I can't really justify getting more. I'll totally take it if it's GWP though.

So I spent about $77 today, but I got a pair of pumps that usually sell for $50-90, and 5 pieces of clothing I actually need/will wear, so I don't consider it a splurge. I guess I'm just starting my wardrobe revamp earlier than I anticipated. I STAYED STRONG ON THE MAKEUP THOUGH!
Totally feel you on the whole idea of not going out and buying something you run out of if you have something similar. I had to stop myself and not repurchase my moisturizer because I had a few samples. I'm also thinking of trying out a lower cost option once I'm completely out. I'm getting better at being rational and realizing I cannot justify everything. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm still being tempted by La Petite Robe Noire during Sephora's triple points thing. I'd go ahead and buy it, but I'm going to be moving really soon since my boyfriend's new job is relocating him.. and we're unsure of the location as of right now, so I don't know where to ship it. All of our stuff is in boxes other than some clothes, my makeup, meds, and our bed/couch/TV. It fits in one pretty large bedroom (our condo is getting renovated so we're at my parents.. or should I say *I*'m at my parents' house since he's on the other side of the country til tomorrow for training )

But the process of moving is actually helping me not buy random crap. I don't want to make a new box just for a couple of things! 
icon_redface.gif

Back