February 2013 No buy/low buy thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First off, awwww no Lady Gaga, that sucks!  Second, take that $400 and do something like pay rent, pay off school loans, a car, credit card bills, whatever.  DO NOT BUY MAKEUP (unless there's something you need!).

Originally Posted by JessicaMarie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh man guys... I'm getting a nearly $400 dollar credit on my card because Lady Gaga canceled her tour. This is going to be so dangerous. Help me! Lol.
Woah, what happened?! (re: Gaga) She's such a workaholic, I'm surprised

Originally Posted by SistaPlease /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i havent really told anyone this (mainly my husband) but i put myself on a no buy for february just to see if i could do it. half way through the month and so far so good. i will say that this is making me look at my makeup collection a lot differently now, i feel like im being more creative with it!

good luck to everyone else! you can do it!
Yes, I noticed the same when I started with the no/low-buy concept.  I sort of enjoy "shopping my stash"!

Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Woah, what happened?! (re: Gaga) She's such a workaholic, I'm surprised
some kind of arthritis type injury? I just briefly heard it on the radio. I think it was her hip/

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

some kind of arthritis type injury? I just briefly heard it on the radio. I think it was her hip/
Of course the first place I ran was ONTD because I'm classy like that lol

"Lady Gaga has a labral tear of the right hip caused by strenuous repetitive movements in her performances. She will need surgery to repair the problem, followed by strict down time to recover. [sr]" It sound pretty bad, I hope she's okay ):

Also, holy crap girl, $400 tickets? Really? I'm not a Gaga stan so I wouldn't go to her concert, but jeez. When Adam Lambert was going to do a charity show in DC for Maryland Marriage Equality, I wanted to go but I was complaining that that the tickets were $125/$250 and that's even for charity. I can't even imagine shelling out $400 for tix.

Originally Posted by nishino /img/forum/go_quote.gif

First off, awwww no Lady Gaga, that sucks!  Second, take that $400 and do something like pay rent, pay off school loans, a car, credit card bills, whatever.  DO NOT BUY MAKEUP (unless there's something you need!).
That would all be great ways to spend the money, I'm just sort of in between a rock and a hard place. I'm a 20yr old college student and credit card companies won't give me a card. I used my mom's to buy the tickets so unfortunately the money is going to get eaten up by all of the charges she has on the card. Not sure how it's all going to work out actually. I would be more than happy to stick it back in my sad looking bank account and use it for sensible things. It's still really up in the air. Yeah, I'm pretty tore up about it. It was a gift that I had gotten for my dad for his birthday. He was so excited to go. We're having bad luck in the concert department lately. We were due to see Green Day as well and well their lead singer is in rehab I think so that got canceled. Crossing my fingers nothing goes wrong with the Rihanna concert in March. Yikes! 

Sorry all for kind of going off topic, don't mean to throw my life story at all of you. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

ONTD is probably the best site for entertainment news. Though if not for them, I would have never seen Twilight. I just had to know what "RPattz sparkles" meant!

Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Of course the first place I ran was ONTD because I'm classy like that lol

"Lady Gaga has a labral tear of the right hip caused by strenuous repetitive movements in her performances. She will need surgery to repair the problem, followed by strict down time to recover. [sr]" It sound pretty bad, I hope she's okay ):

Also, holy crap girl, $400 tickets? Really? I'm not a Gaga stan so I wouldn't go to her concert, but jeez. When Adam Lambert was going to do a charity show in DC for Maryland Marriage Equality, I wanted to go but I was complaining that that the tickets were $125/$250 and that's even for charity. I can't even imagine shelling out $400 for tix.
Woot woot. Adam Lambert rocks! Hardly ever casually meet other fans. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Yeah it was pretty steep, but my dad has done so much for me throughout the years and I wanted to get him an awesome birthday gift. I nearly died when I saw how much she was charging. 

Originally Posted by JessicaMarie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Woot woot. Adam Lambert rocks! Hardly ever casually meet other fans. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Yeah it was pretty steep, but my dad has done so much for me throughout the years and I wanted to get him an awesome birthday gift. I nearly died when I saw how much she was charging. 
Aww that's so sweet. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'm sorry it didn't work out.

LOL dads are so hard to buy presents for, my dad in particular. I buy what he tells me to get him, and he still complains! One year, I got him a Yoyo Ma CD, and he was like, I'd rather have Lang Lang. So the next year, I got him a Lang Lang CD and he was like, he's a communist sympathizer, I don't like him anymore!! me: orz. The year before, my sister and I got him a gift cert to his favourite restaurant and then he complained we were forcing him to eat there and he didn't enjoy the restaurant anymore. This year, he told me to get autobiographies of gilded age tycoons, so I got him two and he complained they were by the same author. YEESH.

You'd think I'd learn to just stop getting him presents, but I think I'm going to save up to buy him the MS Surface Tablet for him. He was playing with them all Christmas shopping season. I'm hoping they'll go on sale! He's a computer engineer but like most (older) engineers, he always has super old technology and refuses to buy new stuff even though he's among the people who develop them. XD; He'll probably complain and yell at me, but I want to do something nice for him since he's done so much for me. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I guess that's another long-term goal to save up for... maybe I'll just surprise him one day since we don't really care about holiday-time presents in my family.

The good and the bad of sorting through my stuff . . . .

the good: I'm trying out all the stuff that I haven't used much and discovered an eyeliner that makes my eyes water so I tossed it. 

the bad: I discovered two more body lotions! Both were gifts that had migrated to the back of my cabinet. I seriously do not need to buy body lotion for a year, I have six full size and two travel size. 

I did that the other day too. I've been rotating through eyeliners and i finally went back to my "go to" eyeliner only to realize it's awful quality (stays on all day but i really have to push down to get anything on). it makes me sad know that I know my go to eyeliner isn't very good after all!

The universe clearly wants me to stay on my no buy.  I was about to cave an order something online--I had a discount code and everything--and as I went to put it in my cart, a message popped up that it was out of stock.  *phew* that was close.

I also filled a cart at BB today, but decided to wait a little longer before clicking enter. 

Originally Posted by missionista /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The universe clearly wants me to stay on my no buy.  I was about to cave an order something online--I had a discount code and everything--and as I went to put it in my cart, a message popped up that it was out of stock.  *phew* that was close.

I also filled a cart at BB today, but decided to wait a little longer before clicking enter. 
It's so funny how things work out like that. It's great though. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Well, I completely failed in my missions to buy a red lipstick together... also to get macarons. Mreh v'day was pretty crappy this year. All my plans to celebrate by myself got ruined even.

I guess I should take it as a sign... on another note, it's the beginning of Lent. Maybe I should give up Buying Stuff for Lent, just so I can actually consolidate money for my budgets. Easter falls on 3/31, which means it's just be exactly two months of no buy. Plus, I'll probably have my tax return by then, so mwuhaha I can treat myself in April. Excluding food, of course. LOL the foodie in me is too horrified ever to give up food in anyway other than maybe sugars and junk foods.

Wow, it is SO HARD to resist when awesome deals pop up randomly.  I fell off the truck again and now I just want Feb to end quickly so I can get a fresh start in March. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I treated myself to a new foundation, I figured since two of my subs are gone I could get it and I had coupons which makes it better :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I think that will be the only thing I buy this month

Originally Posted by nishino /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow, it is SO HARD to resist when awesome deals pop up randomly.  I fell off the truck again and now I just want Feb to end quickly so I can get a fresh start in March. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
i know how that is :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> part of me wants to do a no buy 30 days instead of month. so that every time I cave in I just have to start over. that way i'll realize how much longer it's taking me than it should have originally...and the longer it gets the more i'll feel guilty about having to start over if i buy something.

Last night I realized I haven't gotten anything from sephora all year. This is huge, last year by the end of February I'd spent $150!

me neither! the last time i got something from sephora was the week after christmas, and that was a present for my boyfriend (the art of shaving kit). I haven't even spent my gift card from christmas yet :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by javagirl87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i know how that is :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> part of me wants to do a no buy 30 days instead of month. so that every time I cave in I just have to start over. that way i'll realize how much longer it's taking me than it should have originally...and the longer it gets the more i'll feel guilty about having to start over if i buy something.
hehe there's a thought.  i'm not sure i'd be organized enough to pull that off!  

i guess the good news is, so far in 2013 all my impulse buys have been things that were drastically discounted.  but I still need to figure out how to resist the impulse to buy in the first place!  

Latest posts

Back