February 2013 No buy/low buy thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Successfully avoided a certain brand on a certain sale website. Almost ordered a set with a lot of eyeshadows, lip/cheek tints, and eye liners, then I took a deep breath and realized I have more than enough of all of those. I just wanted to buy to buy and that is what got me in this mess in the first place. 

Originally Posted by amberlamps /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm still being tempted by La Petite Robe Noire during Sephora's triple points thing. I'd go ahead and buy it, but I'm going to be moving really soon since my boyfriend's new job is relocating him.. and we're unsure of the location as of right now, so I don't know where to ship it. All of our stuff is in boxes other than some clothes, my makeup, meds, and our bed/couch/TV. It fits in one pretty large bedroom (our condo is getting renovated so we're at my parents.. or should I say *I*'m at my parents' house since he's on the other side of the country til tomorrow for training )

But the process of moving is actually helping me not buy random crap. I don't want to make a new box just for a couple of things! 
icon_redface.gif
Being a horrible enabler (lol I always am) Sephora has free 2-day shipping, I believe? So if you order it today, you should get it Tuesday at the latest...

I don't think spending money to buy stuff or makeup is the problem most of the time. It's just that we all get so into it when we have soooo much stuff to go through. There's no reason I need another neutrals/nudes palette, but I want one! And when I buy that one, I'll want another! I have enough eyeshadow to last me the rest of my life, but I'm still probably going to buy more in the next 6 months lol.

I don't really buy perfume though. I like getting samples that I can use (and errr to answer the question several pages back, I didn't actually buy it yet. I'm just a terrible person who walks into sephora every once in a while and sprays it on XD) But the fact that I keep coming back to it and have for like, a year and a half now, can probably let me justify getting it? Either that, or I can buy 35 tiny vials on ebay or something.

When I was working retail we damaged it out. The company took it as a loss.

Originally Posted by javagirl87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

what do you think they do with makeup that's been swatched and returned? i've always wondered lol

Originally Posted by aleeeshuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

When I was working retail we damaged it out. The company took it as a loss.
that's awful. that's what i suspected. i never return makeup or polish because i'd feel way too guilty. it's better to swatch everything before hand and look at reviews before committing to something. and if it doesn't work out i just suck it up and find ways to use it or give it to someone

I agree, I usually never return cosmetics and just suck it up. I only ever returned one thing to Walmart because it actually broke me out. Otherwise I use it up because I hate being wasteful. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Hence why I'm on this whole low buy/ exploring my collection journey. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Successfully avoided a certain brand on a certain sale website. Almost ordered a set with a lot of eyeshadows, lip/cheek tints, and eye liners, then I took a deep breath and realized I have more than enough of all of those. I just wanted to buy to buy and that is what got me in this mess in the first place. 
Well done!

I'm really close to using up two full size and three sample size skin/body care items. I am barely making a dent though in my surplus so I imagine this no/low buy is going to need to continue a couple more months :)

I re-discovered a blush and love it! It is really close in color to one I hit pan on a few months ago and finally tossed this month. I have also been using a Sephora liner I bought last year and, while it is a good liner, it does not have the staying power of the UD 24/7 liners (which the girl in Sephora swore it did!).

My roomie decided to order perfume so she used my sephora account so i could get triple points but it only gave me the regular amount...but it said no promo was needed?? anyone know how this works?

This is what it read on their website:

"*Offer valid for Beauty Insiders only. Earn triple points on purchases that include a qualifying fragrance product made from February 18, 2013 through February, 25, 2013. Offer ends February 25, 2013 at 11:59 p.m. PST. Bonus points will be credited to your Beauty Insider account by March 22, 2013. Not valid for cash or cash equivalent. May not be sold or otherwise transferred. Points not earned on sales tax, Sephora gift cards, eGift certificates and prior purchases. This offer is subject to termination by Sephora in its discretion at any time."

I was thinking of buying a fragrance Rollerball and the Lorac Pro palette (which I've been wanting), but I couldn't bring myself to checkout. I think I might go look at spring clothes instead.

oh jeez, now gift cards can't even be used to get points either?? i thought it was just that they dont' go towards VIB status...

oh jeez, now gift cards can't even be used to get points either?? i thought it was just that they dont' go towards VIB status...
I don't think they ever did, you only get points if you use the card. It makes sense to me, it prevents people from trying to cheat the system and get double points.

Originally Posted by javagirl87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think that is how most rewards systems work. You can use a giftcard and earn points but you can't earn points by buying a giftcard, right? 

I plan on canceling all by beauty subs, but I really don't know if I can let go of ipsy. So far i canceled my Birchbox. I've skipped Julep for several months so that won't be hard for me to let go of. As for Beauty Army, I've been unimpressed for the past 3 months, but what IF they happen to have something that catches my eye. Ahhh oh the choices... I have to minimize clutter so that's the main reason I have to cancel

oh i thought they meant you cant' get points from USING a gift card. like i have $30 i got for christmas and I wanted to use it towards a perfume...

the problem is that I can't justify buying perfumes from sephora when they are at least $20 cheaper on ebay :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> i'm trying to stay strong and just not get anything though lol

Originally Posted by aleeeshuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I plan on canceling all by beauty subs, but I really don't know if I can let go of ipsy. So far i canceled my Birchbox. I've skipped Julep for several months so that won't be hard for me to let go of. As for Beauty Army, I've been unimpressed for the past 3 months, but what IF they happen to have something that catches my eye. Ahhh oh the choices...

I have to minimize clutter so that's the main reason I have to cancel
same here! i just canceled ipsy and BB, and i've skipped julep for 4 months. I'm probably going to skip BA but i'll keep Ditsies for the next month and that's it. I figure that's $40-$52 saved each month that can go towards something I really want :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I sorted out my makeup today, and I have an entire shoebox full of blush. Geez, holy crap! A shoebox, full! I had a surprisingly small amount of lip gloss and lipstick. I think that if I decide to treat myself, I really, really need to avoid blush like the plague. 

Does anyone have theBalm NudeTude and UD's NAKED pallet? I have both Naked pallets and need to use my BB points. I want to get the NudeTude pallet, but only if it's not too similar to UD's Naked pallets

Been doing ok since falling off the truck during that Tarte blush flash sale.  In fact I keep browsing on the Sephora site but can't find enough stuff that I need to make a decent shopping cart!  There were so many awesome deluxe sample codes in Jan/Feb and I keep watching them slip through my fingers, but on the other hand I haven't been buying stuff so that's good. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

It's almost the end of the month.  Let's all stay strong!  I've really been enjoying reading this thread this month.  

i've bough shoes and a perfume this month..but no cosmetics or bath products!! yay!

here's to hoping March is even better

I have done so well this month. I feel like for the first time, after a year or so of trying, I've finally been successful. I've either hit a saturation point or just realized how bad this is, and it feels so good. 

Back