February 2013 No buy/low buy thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't cave in to buy makeup but I caved in to buy shoes on shoedazzle.com. They had a massive sale yesterday and since I lost weight, I had to buy new shoes and dresses (since I dropped 2 shoe sizes and 2 dress sizes). Still staying strong beauty-wise, lol.  I even created a "Makeup Inventory" spreadsheet so I won't buy the same shade of lipstick, nail polish, etc. twice.

Originally Posted by javagirl87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

a makeup inventory is a great idea!!! I may do that tonight :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Cool! If you need tips or if you want to see mine, PM me. I can e-mail mine to you :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

That goes to anyone that is interested in seeing my makeup inventory Excel spreadsheet! ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm joining in on this. It's been awhile since I've controlled my spending, but it's crunch time for me. I recently got engaged, so we're saving up for our big day :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> And I'm trying open a residential care home this year!... I have to MAJOR projects coming up and need to stay focused! Soooo much going on...

I'm joining in on this. It's been awhile since I've controlled my spending, but it's crunch time for me. I recently got engaged, so we're saving up for our big day :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> And I'm trying open a residential care home this year!... I have to MAJOR projects coming up and need to stay focused! Soooo much going on...
You have some exciting times ahead! Welcome to the no/low buy zone :)

I almost gave in to the 50% off Tarte blush flash sale.  I added three to my cart, then strolled over to my blush/bronzer drawer.  I spent 2 minutes swatching my favorites, admiring the prettiness, and then realized: Yup, that's enough!  I don't need any more!

Originally Posted by coffeecardigan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I almost gave in to the 50% off Tarte blush flash sale.  I added three to my cart, then strolled over to my blush/bronzer drawer.  I spent 2 minutes swatching my favorites, admiring the prettiness, and then realized: Yup, that's enough!  I don't need any more!
Nice work! Blush has been my easiest thing to control, I have about 25 of them, not including things within palettes, so that is one that has gotten easier to resist. 

I'm so bad! I gave into the tarte AND cult nails sales. This is what happens when I tell myself "NOPE, NO MOAR EVARR AGAINNN".

I go crazy and buy all the things. Siiiigh. I need to figure out what works best. Maybe a 5 out, 1 in. Or perhaps just a set amount I can spend. Or...just keeping tracking of purchases and how much I'm spending. Gah. 

I'm so bad! I gave into the tarte AND cult nails sales. This is what happens when I tell myself "NOPE, NO MOAR EVARR AGAINNN". I go crazy and buy all the things. Siiiigh. I need to figure out what works best. Maybe a 5 out, 1 in. Or perhaps just a set amount I can spend. Or...just keeping tracking of purchases and how much I'm spending. Gah. 
Maybe try what worked for coffeecardigan and swatch what you currently own before purchasing.

So far so good! I haven't bought any makeup, even though I have been tempted to buy a few things. Luckily I have SIX $5.00 gift cards for amazon that I got for free. When I decide to place an order, my total will be Zero dollars!!! I'm going to make sure my order is under $30 so I won't have to pay anything!

I just ordered a pair of jeans for $12 on ebay. i was going to buy two pairs for $50 on pac sun but found the same pair on ebay worn only once :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

she also lives near me and has free returns. i'm trying to hold strong and not buy any makeup though and only things i need...(i need new jeans)

I came home from NYC to DC/NoVA this weekend... where there are also a lot of shops (and about 4% less tax XD). I ended up grabbing Pokemon B&W 2, which was on sale at Best Buy.

Went around a bunch of places... Nordstorm was also out of the MAC Archie's Girls Ronnie Red lipstick I wanted. No half-off polish in the shop I usually grab stuff in (though confirmed OPI is now $9/bottle :C). My Sally's didn't carry the free Orly for $3 purchase special... so all I ended up getting was Pokemon lol. Well, I guess it is what it is then

I had been traveling West-East-West coast even out of the country for the past two months. Being on the go kept me away from online shopping. But there was one thing that I could not pass up. I bought a bag from Kate Spade on their flash sale. It was originally $600 but discounted to $200 (T/S&H). I used to just buy whatever just for the sake of spending.

I am buying a few things from fellow MuT Vicky using my PayPal money but I think I'll be keeping my hands off my credit cards as they are reserved for IMATS NY and GenBeauty by ipsy on the following months.

I enjoy reading all the posts here! Very encouraging :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I came home from NYC to DC/NoVA this weekend... where there are also a lot of shops (and about 4% less tax XD). I ended up grabbing Pokemon B&W 2, which was on sale at Best Buy.

Went around a bunch of places... Nordstorm was also out of the MAC Archie's Girls Ronnie Red lipstick I wanted. No half-off polish in the shop I usually grab stuff in (though confirmed OPI is now $9/bottle :C). My Sally's didn't carry the free Orly for $3 purchase special... so all I ended up getting was Pokemon lol. Well, I guess it is what it is then
lol, my office is basically in the same parking lot as tysons corner center, I go in there for lunch and walk past the MAC store a lot... If you go there (idk where in NoVA you are), I'm pretty sure they had that lipstick on Friday. 

My beauty no-buy became a beauty low-buy yesterday.  =(  Last month KMart had 40% off on Revlon, and I got a few things.  There were a couple more colors I wanted, but they either didn't have them, or didn't have one that wasn't already open.  Yesterday Rite-Aid had 40% off Revlon products, and had the colors I wanted.  Since I've been using the heck out of the first ones I bought from KMart, I let myself get a few more.

Bright side, I only spent $22, which is a LOT better than I had been doing.  It was 4 items for $22, rather than one expensive one.  And it was a purchase I planned before I left the house, of products I knew were new faves, rather than impulse buys of things I didn't even know if I'd like.  So at least I'm conscious buying of things that'll get more use now.

Baby steps.

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

lol, my office is basically in the same parking lot as tysons corner center, I go in there for lunch and walk past the MAC store a lot... If you go there (idk where in NoVA you are), I'm pretty sure they had that lipstick on Friday. 
No, I'm the Dulles Town Center Nordstrom. ): And it was sold out. But probably for the best. I realised I had the Mirenesse red from ipsy October I should probably use more of first XD

Well, I had my birthday, so I allowed myself some pretty big slip-ups. My boyfriend bought me the Urban Decay Glinda pallet, I bought myself a L'Occitane hand cream (I am out of my old one, to be fair), and finally (here's the big one) I bought an eyeshadow quad and a cream eyeshadow from Chanel.

So... oh well. But I will say this: one thing that this experience is really teaching me is the value of high-end cosmetics. On a few levels. One, because I feel like you treat your high-end products more delicately and reverently. Mine don't get mucked up or broken or dirty as easily. Two, because when it comes to shadows especially, I find you can *really* tell the difference in quality. With mascaras and lip glosses, brushes and lipsticks, I do think you are better off staying drug store, but eye shadows, foundation, tools (not brushes but, like, tweezers and eyelash curlers), highlighters, bronzers and blushes... given how incredibly long these products actually last, why not get something that will blend better, look better, feel better, work better?

The thing I notice so much about drug store cosmetics is that they often don't let you try them, and then the lighting when you do get to try them is terrible, and I would say 75-90% of the time, I wind up not liking the color/texture as much as I thought I would. Compared to 5% of the time with high-end. So I wind up buying an armload of eyeshadows because I'm still looking for *the* taupe or *the* green. Whereas my one Chanel eyeshadow quad is perfect. Everything about the way it looks is perfect. And maybe that's psychosomatic, but ultimately aren't cosmetics supposed to make me feel better?

Anyone know the return policy at Macy's when you buy from a counter? Got the Dior Cherie Bow Palette and once I got it home and swatched it, it just really isn't as great as I thought. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Anyone know the return policy at Macy's when you buy from a counter? Got the Dior Cherie Bow Palette and once I got it home and swatched it, it just really isn't as great as I thought. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I think they're fine with returns. I've never had a problem with doing exchanges or returns at major cosmetics counters.

Latest posts

Back