February No/Low-Buy 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm doing pretty good on my no-buy. Although I am really jonesing to try some 21 drops. I'm starting a new job on the 24th and I've half way convinced my self I need some to help ease my nerves.

Happy Valentine's day!! May your day be filled with chocolates, flowers, love, and of course pink, purple, and red makeup!!!!

Quote: Originally Posted by Jen283 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Happy Valentine's day!! May your day be filled with chocolates, flowers, love, and of course pink, purple, and red makeup!!!!
Mine is pink today!...a smokey taupe purply pink (inglot 402 on the lid, a color close to quarry on the crease and MUG cupcake as a blend out.). baby pink on the cheeks and a milky pink lipgloss on. I'm surprised by how much I like the combination. 

Mine is pink today!...a smokey taupe purply pink (inglot 402 on the lid, a color close to quarry on the crease and MUG cupcake as a blend out.). baby pink on the cheeks and a milky pink lipgloss on. I'm surprised by how much I like the combination. 
I've got pink on my nails, lips, and cheeks! Urban decay Native on the lips and Tarte Glisten on the cheeks. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> The nail polish is one of those $5 bottles from sephora by the register, not sure of the color. I think later I'll amp it up by deepening my crease and smoking out my eyeliner!

I have pink lips!! Wearing Revlon Kissable balm stain in honey. I think that's the color, this has been rolling around in my purse and all the lettering has worn off and the lid is cracked and I have just a nub of product left. Should be gone in a week or two. I liked it but not enough to re-purchase. 

Quote: Originally Posted by page5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I have pink lips!! Wearing Revlon Kissable balm stain in honey. I think that's the color, this has been rolling around in my purse and all the lettering has worn off and the lid is cracked and I have just a nub of product left. Should be gone in a week or two. I liked it but not enough to re-purchase. 
wooo almost empty!

I have a revlon lip butter that's like..... 90% done, but somehow, I keep forgetting about it. so it's taking me forever to finish. 

I got paid yesterday...paid off my tuition for this semester in full (YAY!)... and paid off two of my credit cards in full, and one partially. i've been looking at my 'watch list' on ebay, and i'm proud to say that i've deleted a bunch of stuff in my list. i also haven't placed a sephora order in 6 days, and only bought ~$25 worth of stuff on ebay (TWO full sized UD nail polish, and a mini YSL mascara) this week. so yeah, i think this week's been pretty good, considering that there are tons of sales this week! i also bought a kate spade tote, but that was a necessary purchase (and i'm not just trying to rationalize. it really is, i have 0 tote bags and i now carry a bunch of stuff all the time, books, graded labs, lab manuals,...etc.. this bag is PERFECT!) so YAY! only spent $25 on makeup stuff this week! i'm so proud of myself! he he 
smile.gif
 if i can keep this up, $100 a month on makeup is I think the ideal spending budget for me, and i'd feel that i've succeeded. thanks for everyone's support. <3

Quote: Originally Posted by saku /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I got paid yesterday...paid off my tuition for this semester in full (YAY!)... and paid off two of my credit cards in full, and one partially. i've been looking at my 'watch list' on ebay, and i'm proud to say that i've deleted a bunch of stuff in my list. i also haven't placed a sephora order in 6 days, and only bought ~$25 worth of stuff on ebay (TWO full sized UD nail polish, and a mini YSL mascara) this week. so yeah, i think this week's been pretty good, considering that there are tons of sales this week! i also bought a kate spade tote, but that was a necessary purchase (and i'm not just trying to rationalize. it really is, i have 0 tote bags and i now carry a bunch of stuff all the time, books, graded labs, lab manuals,...etc.. this bag is PERFECT!) so YAY! only spent $25 on makeup stuff this week! i'm so proud of myself! he he 
smile.gif
 if i can keep this up, $100 a month on makeup is I think the ideal spending budget for me, and i'd feel that i've succeeded. thanks for everyone's support. <3
Great job! Congratulations on paying off some of your credit card debt and your tuition! That's awesome! Keep up the good work!!!!

Quote: Originally Posted by katielp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Dang it. Between the cost of packaging, shipping fee, PayPal fee, and eBay fee it's not really worth it to list items around the 10$ price range then....I guess I do have stuff I don't want out of my house at least
Eugh, you may be right. Darn.... guess I'll set myself up a 'trade list' here - even though you have to pay shipping, it may be better than the 10% from Ebay if you can't sell stuff for much.

------

So, I told you guys about how I've been doing really well this month, I didn't buy anything make-up related or otherwise in the miscellaneous category except for a $5 eye brush set from EcoTools. Then I realized I accidentally forgot to cancel my Ipsy account before I got sent and charged for this months' bag... so that's $15 spent this month.

Then, the big bad happened- Valentine's day with no plans, and an impending divorce. I spent some time on youtube trying to distract myself, only to be tempted by some eyeglasses (I need new frames, and rx sunglasses) and then, that prompted me to go to Polyvore to make myself a 'currently wanted' collage, and THEN I went to Sephora because I remembered that it was Valentine's day, when the 3x points on fragrance ended at midnight, so I went to see if I really was going to get those Lavanila rollerballs... and then I waffled about it for 30 minutes, at once thinking, 'no way' and then 'if I want it later, it'll be stupid because I can bet 3 x the points!" and then thinking "the points are stupid, I never like the rewards" and ultimately purchasing my cart for $61.... so instead of a no-buy this month, I spent $76. Fail!

Edited to add: The silver lining is that I'm returning two products and will get back $45 to my credit card, so at least that offsets some of the costs. Maybe I can sell a few things on Ebay too....

Quote: Originally Posted by saku /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smile.gif

OMG a paid off credit card is the promised land. Congrats on doing it twice!!! I hope to be there by this December if I keep going at the rate I'm going. *Fingers crossed*

I flopped again this week but for a good reason I guess? My issue is that my HG setting powder has been discontinued and I have hit pan on it so I am trying out new powders while I still have my HG to go back to and compare until I find something suitable to replace it. I bought MAC Blot powder and also the MAC MSF Natural. I used to own MSFN but I got rid of it because I got it back in the summer months and it did nothing to combat my oily skin. Now that my skin is so dry/dehydrated with this winter weather, I'm hoping it works a little bit better. I also got Blot because people said it was most comparable to my HG so I thought I would give it a whirl. I have sensitive skin, though, so finding new base products is always a nightmare because I break out from nearly everything. Not looking forward to having to hold my breath until I've used them a few weeks to see if they cause breakouts. 

I have to shift all my energy from makeup to clothes shopping now, so I hope that will make this no-buy progress more easily. I really, really need a new pair of jeans or two. The ones I have are fraying completely, seams are loosening and they're getting threadbare and not in the stylishly distressed way, either lol. (I wear clothes and shoes into the ground but I will have trillions of makeup products that I rarely use up. Where is the sense in all of that?
icon_neutral.gif
) I went shopping last night and sadly, the stores I used to hit up for jeans in the past have seen serious decline in quality. It seems like quality jeans, that don't feel cheap and look cheap, are pretty expensive. Some of the cheaper jeans I was finding on the racks had loose threads hanging out and they were brand new. WTF. Not to mention, I'm tall so finding something that doesn't look like flood pants on me is difficult. I have a similar story with shoes...I bought four reasonably priced ballet flats last year and all but 1 have holes in the soles after only one season of walking. Clearly, I need to start investing in better-made clothing because they really don't make clothes and shoes like they used to. 
frown.gif
 Plus as much as having great makeup is, it can look a little out of place when I'm practically wearing rags. 

Hopefully every time I'm tempted by a shiny new lipstick or blush, I'll remember that I can't wear lipstick or blush as pants or on my feet. Well, I mean I could try but I might be arrested for indecent exposure lol! Stay strong ladies only 14 more days left in this month! 
heart.gif

Booooooo. I broke my low buy! (Even though I don't feel guilty, I still feel like I should feel guilty. Yanno?) My boyfriend and I played at the mall yesterday. He ended up buying me a lip tar in Harlot. So pretty! This is liptar #173 in my lip tar pile that sits on my make up shelf. I went in really just wanting to know what Fresh Life smelled like since it was free with a code online. I LOOOVED it. So... Right after the BF paid for harlot, there I was -- standing in a Sephora store making a $25 sephora purchase online to get the free rollerball. I have issues. But! Today is a new day. I bought things I will use. This fail could've been a lot worse!

Quote: Originally Posted by loftmane /img/forum/go_quote.gif

OMG a paid off credit card is the promised land. Congrats on doing it twice!!! I hope to be there by this December if I keep going at the rate I'm going. *Fingers crossed*

I flopped again this week but for a good reason I guess? My issue is that my HG setting powder has been discontinued and I have hit pan on it so I am trying out new powders while I still have my HG to go back to and compare until I find something suitable to replace it. I bought MAC Blot powder and also the MAC MSF Natural. I used to own MSFN but I got rid of it because I got it back in the summer months and it did nothing to combat my oily skin. Now that my skin is so dry/dehydrated with this winter weather, I'm hoping it works a little bit better. I also got Blot because people said it was most comparable to my HG so I thought I would give it a whirl. I have sensitive skin, though, so finding new base products is always a nightmare because I break out from nearly everything. Not looking forward to having to hold my breath until I've used them a few weeks to see if they cause breakouts. 

I have to shift all my energy from makeup to clothes shopping now, so I hope that will make this no-buy progress more easily. I really, really need a new pair of jeans or two. The ones I have are fraying completely, seams are loosening and they're getting threadbare and not in the stylishly distressed way, either lol. (I wear clothes and shoes into the ground but I will have trillions of makeup products that I rarely use up. Where is the sense in all of that?
icon_neutral.gif
) I went shopping last night and sadly, the stores I used to hit up for jeans in the past have seen serious decline in quality. It seems like quality jeans, that don't feel cheap and look cheap, are pretty expensive. Some of the cheaper jeans I was finding on the racks had loose threads hanging out and they were brand new. WTF. Not to mention, I'm tall so finding something that doesn't look like flood pants on me is difficult. I have a similar story with shoes...I bought four reasonably priced ballet flats last year and all but 1 have holes in the soles after only one season of walking. Clearly, I need to start investing in better-made clothing because they really don't make clothes and shoes like they used to. 
frown.gif
 Plus as much as having great makeup is, it can look a little out of place when I'm practically wearing rags. 

Hopefully every time I'm tempted by a shiny new lipstick or blush, I'll remember that I can't wear lipstick or blush as pants or on my feet. Well, I mean I could try but I might be arrested for indecent exposure lol! Stay strong ladies only 14 more days left in this month! 
heart.gif

This!!! I realized about 2 months ago that I have no problem dropping $30+ on a pedicure, but spending that much on shoes - psh, no way! It's seriously time for me to start investing in better clothing instead of make up. I'm hoping to have a professional job for the first time in my life in May, so it's time to start buying proper clothing and shoes.

So far this month, I've only bought the one make up purchase that I was allowing myself. Yay! However, I have been eating out waaaay more than I'm supposed to, and that's kicking my ass. It's time to meal plan and grocery shop! I need to quit making excuses and just do it.

Well add me to the fail list. I caved and bought a couple of perfume rollerball at Sephora. Yesterday was a rollercoaster day. I got job offer and I took it which made me happy. But my husband didn't even get me card for Valentine's day. So that made me sad. I got my tax refund in which was good but I need to sit on it till the new job starts. I saw the gwp from sephora and then boom next thing I know....but today is another day. I'm going to try and make some body scrub so that should keep me out of the store.

I have to go buy jeans today.  *Have* to.  I'm down to one or two wearable pair, and I need at least three!  I just hope I can find some I like.  I'm notoriously picky and oddly proportioned.  My waist is super high, so when the style is low-waisted, I have to wait until the style cycles back to higher waists, and it can take *years* for that to happen.  And I went to the grocery store last night and spent $70!  OTOH, I haven't been able to go grocery shopping in two or three weeks, and I had to buy some expensive essentials like light bulbs (half of the bulbs in my bathroom are burnt out, which makes putting on my makeup an adventure in overapplication!), an extra kitty litter box (going on a weekend trip + no kitty sitter = need an extra box), and coffee (I must have coffee!  On the down side, it turns out I don't like this particular variety, but I'll be stuck with it for a while since I only use my own stuff on the weekends).  I also have to go buy bb cream, which is on my acceptable list (in fact, it's been on my GET IT THIS WEEKEND list for about a month now), so I'm not breaking any rules there.  On the up side, I got a larger-than-usual check this pay period due to overtime, so that will help me not go over budget this time.  I hope.

And!  The Love Letters essence trend edition was out, and I DIDN'T BUY THE HIGHLIGHTER!  OR THE EYESHADOW!  OR THE NAIL POLISH!  I bought a pink lip sheer, and I'll get the peach one if I can find it (these are basically lip balms for me, and I'm *bonkers* about lip balms), but other than that, I'm not interested in this collection since they didn't release everything from the European version of the collection in the US version.  I wanted the eyeliner pencils and the charcoal polish, but they weren't released here. I *might* get one or two of the notebooks solely because I like that style of notebook (lined, with an elastic band) and have been looking for cheap versions to use for various things, but those won't count as part of a makeup low-buy because they're office supplies.

Okay.  Jeans.  And groceries.  Despite spending $70 last night, I actually got nowhere near everything on my list because I kept thinking, "But I have no money!  I need to get only absolute essentials!"  I just wasn't in the mood to stock up.  It's been *way* too long since I've done decent grocery shopping.  I've been way too poor for that for ages!

*cough*  I just increased my Geeky Sprinkles Kickstarter pledge *again*.  But it was the pledge increase that tipped it over to being funded, and now I will have a dozen or so bottles of those things to give out as presents!  (I'm keeping one of each for myself, but I do *not* need sixteen bottles of cupcake/cookie sprinkles.)  I'm thinking of it as pre-planning for Christmas, not breaking a low-buy.

Okay.  Now.  Seriously.  Gotta get dressed and finish shopping for those things I realistically do need or have on my acceptable list.  If I don't leave now, I won't leave today, and then I'll buy takeout for lunch at work every day this week again!

I was doing very well since all my crazy shopping I did during Black Friday and last Xmas.  I hadn't bought anything except my sub boxes, which was huge for me especially with the 20% off at UD and Too Faced (I live for the La Cremes!)  BUT the last few days I fell for some drugstore stuff and Sephora fragances.  I only spent 17 bucks on some clearance Burt Bee's face wipes, JulieG nail polishes (the gold one from this past Xmas collection, I was looking for this one!) and some of the NYC lip pencils.  I feel so guilty BUT I've done mostly well so I am generally proud of myself.  I just couldn't sustain all the purchasing I was doing at the end of last year! 

I'm going to break my no-buy today and get some of the new Maybelline Color Tattoo cream shadows from the Dare to Go Nude collection.  There seems to be uncertainty as to whether these are LE or not, and I missed out on the LE matte nude colors.  Plus, Rite Aid has a BOGO this week and an UP dollar reward, so they are on sale for about $3.75 if I buy four.  I lasted 1.5 months, which is pretty good.  If I can go another 1.5 months after this purchase, I'll take it.

Latest posts

Back