February No/Low-Buy 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by camel11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Quote: Originally Posted by jpark107 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you have any spare time during the trip, come and visit NYC! I've been buying a ton of clothes at NYC sample sales recently. At the last sample sale I went to, I bought 10 Theory pieces (normally $150+ each) for the grand total of $100 (normally sample sales aren't this dirt cheap, but are usually around 75-80% off retail)! Off hand, I know that a Club Monaco sample sale is coming up in March.
Ughhh don't tell me about Club Monaco SS! I have been to a few so far, but try to avoid them! I work very close to Soho, but luckily, the good sales require more than a lunch hour.  I impulse buy like crazy at them and end up with one piece I love and then a bunch I bought because OMG it's $10.

For instance, I have two pairs of Cheap Monday jeans that are nowhere NEAR my size! 

LOL - impulse shoppers may not handle sample sales well...especially if the sample sale doesn't have a fitting room!

I'll admit that I've bought some ill-fitting pants/skirts at sample sales (when a fitting room was not available). However, the price of the item at the sample sale + tailoring has always been worth it! 
smile.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

OMG this is why I'm not allowed to go to NYC. I dream of going to sample sales! Quote: Originally Posted by jpark107 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you have any spare time during the trip, come and visit NYC! I've been buying a ton of clothes at NYC sample sales recently. At the last sample sale I went to, I bought 10 Theory pieces (normally $150+ each) for the grand total of $100 (normally sample sales aren't this dirt cheap, but are usually around 75-80% off retail)! Off hand, I know that a Club Monaco sample sale is coming up in March.
Well, you could come and shop at sample sales, then take a tea break at Harney & Sons or Kusmi...and then we can meet up for fondue at Max Brenner or macarons at Laduree!  Not that I'm trying to enable you or anything...but PM me if you do make it up to NYC! 
lovelove.gif

Hehe, I've lived near NYC my whole life and never went to a sample sale. Ah, well.

I've done pretty well in February. Didn't stick to a total no-buy though. Early in the month I used my ulta gift card from xmas, which was one of the things I said I would allow myself to do. I ended up going over the gc amount by $2 and that was including tax. I also bought a big bottle of nail polish remover but I was completely out. That was $4. Then I spent $6 on some new ecotools eyeshadow brushes, but the one I had been using was old and crummy, so I think it was a smart purchase. AND last week I saw a bunch of burts bee's gift sets on clearance at target for $2 apiece so I bought 5 of them, but am only keeping one and using the rest as gifts for my 2 sisters, mom and best friend who all have spring birthdays. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> it was a great deal and they will make nice gifts. I cancelled my second birchbox account so now I just have my yearly subscription which is prepaid through September. I skipped julep. I made the last payment on a second mortgage loan, and paid off the balance on my highest rate credit card. I'm feeling pretty accomplished! I did not sell any more cosmetics or stamping items on eBay, which I was hoping to do this month, so I want to do that in march.

Sample sales sound so fun!! It's a good thing for my wallet I don't live in a big city. But I am pretty cheap when it comes to clothes shopping. I don't think I spend more than $40 on an article of clothing. Unless its like a jacket or shoes or reaaaally nice dress. Though I'd really love to live in NYC for like 2 years. I just visited in September and fell in love! 

I'm dying looking on instagram and L Space has posted photos of their sample sale details. They sell the cutest bathing suits! So. Jealous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastofthesun /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So, I told you guys about how I've been doing really well this month, I didn't buy anything make-up related or otherwise in the miscellaneous category except for a $5 eye brush set from EcoTools. Then I realized I accidentally forgot to cancel my Ipsy account before I got sent and charged for this months' bag... so that's $15 spent this month.

Then, the big bad happened- Valentine's day with no plans, and an impending divorce. I spent some time on youtube trying to distract myself, only to be tempted by some eyeglasses (I need new frames, and rx sunglasses) and then, that prompted me to go to Polyvore to make myself a 'currently wanted' collage, and THEN I went to Sephora because I remembered that it was Valentine's day, when the 3x points on fragrance ended at midnight, so I went to see if I really was going to get those Lavanila rollerballs... and then I waffled about it for 30 minutes, at once thinking, 'no way' and then 'if I want it later, it'll be stupid because I can bet 3 x the points!" and then thinking "the points are stupid, I never like the rewards" and ultimately purchasing my cart for $61.... so instead of a no-buy this month, I spent $76. Fail!

Edited to add: The silver lining is that I'm returning two products and will get back $45 to my credit card, so at least that offsets some of the costs. Maybe I can sell a few things on Ebay too....

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastofthesun /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Personally, a few things that caused me to slip-up this month (I'm listing these hopefully as a tool to help us learn our triggers):

1. A 3x points special at Sephora that ended on a certain date (caused initial purchase)

2. The need for free shipping (added more to my cart than would normally)

3. I somehow convinced myself I needed the initial purchase for an upcoming trip, but honestly, I had other perfumes and I don't even like perfume that much.

4. Later in the month I bought some other stuff from office depot (a letter organizer to hold my palettes, and some pencil-holders to store my double-ended brushes) mainly because I was already going to office depot for some stuff for work, and while I was there, I just added them to my basket.

5. Smaller purchases seemingly being insignificant, especially if they are not planned. But they really add up!!!

6. Pure forgetfulness- I forgot that I meant to cancel ipsy before I got on it, or secretly was worried I'd miss out on a good bag for my first time, plus it's freaking hard to get off the wait list, so I guess I wanted to make sure I stayed on. I think I'll cancel, though because I don't really like much of what I got.

So what can I take from my mistakes this month:

1. Avoid specials/sales, unless I NEED to repurchase something. (Delete those special/sale emails!)

2. Forget about getting free shipping if it requires you to add a bunch of stuff to your car that is more expensive than the shipping itself. Basically get out of the mindset that adding $15 to your car of stuff you don't really *need* is better than paying $6 of shipping.

3. Listen to your gut when it's telling you something- if you don't think you really should make the purchase, then you shouldn't. Don't spend time justifying and weighing pros and cons. Just listen to your gut in that case. Unless, of course, it's urging you to spend, spend, spend, then just make sure you wait 30 days to see if you still want it (WAYYYY easier said than done, especially when said sales and specials are calling your name). This part is just plain hard.

4. Pay attention to those smaller items. Calculate how much of your budget they will add up to before buying.

5. Keep track of your automated finances and your subscriptions! You don't want a big purchase coming in when you don't expect it and haven't prepared for it!

That's all for now.... just want to say I hope I can do better next month. I don't think I'll need to buy anything, but maybe repurchase some AM spf moisturizer and maybe PM moisturizer. Other than that I think I'm good to go for a while!

Ok, I have to break down February for myself so I can start thinking about March and my spending. Feel free to use my little form if you want.

User: EastoftheSun

February 2014 goal: Started off with a goal of no-buy.

Purchases:

~Walgreens: EcoTools eye brush duo (needless, already have eye brushes, though I know I'll use them, so not useless.) $6

~Ipsy Bag: Feb 14 (useless- I didn't need nail polish, lip gloss (hate the stuff), fake eyelashes, cream eyeshadow, or cleanser). $10

~Sephora: 1 travel brush, 2 Lavanilla rollerballs, Lavanilla travel deodorant, free fragrance bag, 3 samples (needless, but not useless.) $64

~Office Depot: double-ended brush holders, palette sorter (kind of needless, but also useful) $13

~Paula's Choice: Pm moisturizer, Am moisturizer, samples of serum for travel (needed and useful, as I ran out and love this brand) $49.50

Total spent in Feb: $142.50

Caveat: Returned some unused items to Paula's Choice for $49.5, so I'm not counting this month's PC order in my monthly budget.

Total spent in Feb with caveat: $93.0

Verdict: Guilty!

Sentence: "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again." A no-buy for March.

Oh gosh I don't even want to add up everything I bought this month. It'd be painful.

Quote: Originally Posted by BSquared /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh gosh I don't even want to add up everything I bought this month. It'd be painful.
I hear that!

Although, sometimes pain is a good motivator. I can't believe I was aiming for a no-buy and spent nearly $100. What kind of crap is that? Oh well, I'm looking at the damage, forgiving myself, and trying to be better next month. All with still knowing I was guilty in my mind, because that's important too.

I know right!? I'm just mostly angry at myself because I didn't just break my no-buy, I broke every freaking rule on it. No drugstore makeup? FAIL. No eyeshadow? FAIL. But being this angry makes me motivated for next month. And no there is literally not a single freaking thing I could justify "needing" next month.

aww. the clothes i got from banana republic aren't too flattering. i got a top that is a bit too tight but also super boxy and weird and also short?! and then i got a wrap dress. i dont know why i bother with wrap dresses. the chest area on these are always super unflattering (i'm going to have to pin this deep v up a bunch). Its also fairly long - it goes to the bottom of my knee. not a good look for someone who is 5'2. Also, the tie parts are SUPER long. they go past the floor if i only do a single knot! crazy right?

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  aww. the clothes i got from banana republic aren't too flattering. i got a top that is a bit too tight but also super boxy and weird and also short?! and then i got a wrap dress. i dont know why i bother with wrap dresses. the chest area on these are always super unflattering (i'm going to have to pin this deep v up a bunch). Its also fairly long - it goes to the bottom of my knee. not a good look for someone who is 5'2. Also, the tie parts are SUPER long. they go past the floor if i only do a single knot! crazy right?
Oh no- you should return them and shop elsewhere. Sometimes a store just doesn't have clothes that fit your body type. You sound petite, you should go to Ann Taylor LOFT- they have sizes for women on the shorter side. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Taking east of the sun's idea: 

Quote: - use up my items from my P10P project. Or at least, make a huge dent. 

- stick to my low-buy budget. I am only allowed to make purchases when my paycheck arrives (so, every 2 weeks), and for a set "budget" per paycheck. More so than that, though, right now I am trying to remind myself that just because the money is there, does not mean it needs to be spent. 

- continue with the monday club, and play with my items during the weekend to come up with new combinations.

- research items I want to make sure I truly want them, and if they will work with my current makeup -- or, find cheaper alternatives. 

- start getting rid of stuff I never use. 

so february... 

Goal: stick to a low buy. no more eyeshadow.

Darling girl cosmetics -- 3 shadows ....guh. wanted to try them. $20, after shipping, $23

morphe brushes -- $65.50 --- for...you guessed it... eyeshadow. 

Modnique -- $1.98 for some becca brushes (after a $15 credit I had)

Sephora -- $1.16 (after using a $25 giftcard for my birthday), for ...you guessed it... even more freaking eyeshadow. 

--- 

Total: 91.64

Verdict: Meh. 

I did OK. 

the one thing I did well on was that I stuck to a low-buy...My allowance for the month is $150 ($75 bi-weekly), and I managed to stay way below that.

The one thing I BOMBED was the "no more eyeshadow" rule I made for myself in January. OMFG. X--X.

Morphe's quality is lovely, so is darling girl's and I needed (read: wanted) something small and compact i could throw in an every-day bag in my purse, so out came the gift card for a nars single shadow in Nepal.

Did I need any of these? nope. now it's more eyeshadow to add to the "Please hit pan on me so I don't sit here staring guiltily at you" eyeshadow collection. I am not even going to count the eyeshadows I received for gifts for my birthday... those were already added to my ever-growing list of shiny powder products. I seriously need to lay off the buying eyeshadows and find ways to play with what I already have.

I also fell off the Monday Club bandwagon due to sickness/life/etc and the fact that, for the most part, I didn't wear even that much makeup in February. Mostly, it was a "slap on bb cream and powder, do brows, and maybe, maybe some eyeshadow if I'm feeling generous" kind of month. Perhaps the Monday Club can help me with the playing with my shinies part.

March and April will be a complete no-buy, due to the fact that we're buying a house, and any purchases that seem out of the ordinary can trigger the system into pinging for "fraud" or "money laundering" (yeah, even something as simple as opening a line of credit at say...Target... can ping you for fraud and have your application for purchasing of a house denied). So we are restricted to only necessary purchases such as groceries, gas, bills, etc. 

Time for my recap!

Allowed:

• *One* Glamour Doll Eyes order, preferably the Crazy in Love collection on Monday.  If not, then four more sample jars.  Whatever I get, this order should include one Hydraglaze, either the mini in the CiL collection or Crimson Nebula.  One or the other.  If I get the whole CiL set, I cannot get the separate CN.  (I do plan on getting all of the Hydraglazes because I really like the formula, but I have to pace myself, so I really hope they're up at least until the summer.)  I placed two orders -- one for four sample jars and one for the CiL collection -- but I'm giving myself a pass on the four-sample-jars order.  February as a rule sucks, and this one *really* sucked, so I deserve an extra round of goodies.  I didn't get that HydraGlaze, though.  I'll put it on the acceptable list for March!
  • *One* Geek Chic Cosmetics order.  I will wait and see what's going on with the Sherlock tin.  I got the tin set, and that was it!  I haven't worn it yet, but I'm saving its first use for a binge-watching day.  Which will probably be Sunday.
  • A replacement tube of bb cream.  I finally got this one two weeks after I had originally planned, so that's a success, and *all* I bought at the amazing Asian makeup store was that bb cream!  Success!
  • If I run out of shampoo and conditioner (actually possible this month!), I can get replacements.  I still haven't finished the bottles I was working on when I said this, and I didn't buy any, so this was a success as well!
  • Goodies for my Quick & Dirty Lupercalia swap (on another forum) person.  I'm still not sure what I'm getting this person, so that's a next-weekend purchase because I'll be plotting until then!  I actually had an awesome plan for this, but then we were hit with days of snow right when I needed to do my shopping (I couldn't even set foot outside of my apartment due to ice, and then there were the stone stairs, and, yeah, I watched many, many episodes of _Fringe_ that weekend), and the plan fell apart, but I did end up getting other goodies for her.
  • In two weeks (aka after next payday), I can place a BPAL order that will include one bottle (Forbidden Fruit) and one imp pack of soon-to-be-discontinued (TDB) oils plus an imp pack (also TDB) of spring/summer oils that are running low in the rollerballs (I may end up being able to get by with just one imp pack between the two.  I need to go through the list and my rollerballs to figure out what I need/want.  I definitely need more La Bella Donna Della Mia Mente for the spring!)  I tested Forbidden Fruit (I happened to have an imp in my stash) and decided that I can pass after all, and none of the other TDB oils are really *demanding* that I buy them now.  That order isn't getting placed after all.  And there was a Ragnarok (yes, as in the one involving Odin, Freyr, Loki, Thor, Hermoor, and Fenrir) update last week, and not one single oil appealed to me.  I'm holding out on getting any more BPAL until the last weekend of March (I need a bottle of Scherezade!  It's shaping up to be my Spring 2014 scent) since they're officially going to be at Emerald City Comic Con!
  • Go ahead and keep the subs.  I skipped Julep and Scratch!  Yay!  And I officially decided that I will not be renewing my Le Metier de Beaute sub.  It's just not me, and I tend to end up selling the stuff on eBay because I end up not caring about it, so I can let it go.  I think this just brings me down to a pre-paid Birchbox, a pre-paid GDE OTM, Fortune Cookie Soap, and Square Hue this month.
  • $25 essence trend edition budget.  I bought a lip gloss pencil and a notebook.  That was it.  Nothing else from the one trend edition I found or even any of the new permanent collection stuff was appealing. Because I came in so under budget on this, I kind of transferred the leftover money to my GDE budget to alleviate the two-order guilt over there.
  • Unless I get that Living Proof shampoo and conditioner listed above, my Sephora limit is $35, aka the usual minimum for the good GWP codes, and that depends on whether there is a good point perk.  No good perks = I won't bother ordering.  Not even the fragrance bonus point event can change this since I already have over 1300 points I'm *still* waiting to use!  They just haven't offered anything I've been interested in.  Plus I'm not really big on mainstream fragrance (BPAL, baby!)  Success!  I didn't buy one single thing even though I was seriously tempted by the Clean and L'Occitane point perks.

Banned:

• Shower gel (I'm *still* working through my partials after donating something like two dozen *unopened* bottles last summer.  It's really disturbing to think about how long it would have taken for me to get through that stuff if I had kept it all).  I was given two small bottles of shower gel and some squishy soap (all from Lush) as a present.  I didn't buy it, so I'm calling this a success.  The shower gels were actually the two that I was thinking about splurging on this weekend as a celebration for getting an annual bonus, but now I don't have to justify the expense!
  • Eyeliner.  Success!  I didn't acquire *any*, even with points. 
  • Blush, except essence trend edition blush (although I don't think there will be one coming out this month).  Well...  I didn't *buy* them with money, but I did order two cream blushes from Starlooks with points and a discount code (I also got a lipstick and a Tendergloss with the code.  I went $7 over, but I had been planning on buying the Tendergloss anyway, and I used eBay winnings, so I'm okay with this, especially since I did *not* get an eyeliner).  I would feel bad, but I've been coveting one of the blushes since June, and the code was a use-it-within-a-certain-amount-of-time-or-lose-it, so I'll call this one a success.
  • Anything else, really, at least for the next two weeks.  Eh...  Successful enough for my purposes.  I didn't bounce any checks or have to transfer money from savings to checking, and I still had a solid chunk of money in the bank before payday.  This is *highly* unusual for me! 

Put up on eBay:

• Five BPAL bottles a week.  I put ten bottles up last weekend, but none of them have a single bid.  On the other hand, I *did* sell several makeup/skincare items in auctions that ended last Sunday, and I made well over a hundred bucks, so I'm going to call this one a work in progress.

Overall, while I didn't hit every goal, I *did* cut back on a few things I had planned on getting, and I did end the month not having to do the bank account shuffle just to get to payday, so I'm going to call it a great month.  Next stop:  March!

I did alright this month up until about five minutes ago when LindaD posted that Atelier Cologne Cedrat Enivrant Coffret is showing up on Sephora.com for $85 instead of $170.  I am obsessed with Atelier, even if some of the fragrances do not have the best longevity.  Its a little insane to spend $85 on a fragrance I haven't yet sampled but I figure I could always break up the set and sell the bottle I didn't use on eBay.  Before this I spent $10 at beauty.com to get those free Stila items and I also bought 2 instain blushes at TheBalm's 50% sale (I think that was this month).  I also purchased a few things from Birchbox but I used giftcards and I really only bought things I didn't already have or needed replacements of.  I might place an order real quick to get my free eyeliner at Urban Decay but I'm apprehensive because of that damn $8 shipping charge, I guess I could just see it as paying $8 for an eyeliner which isn't too bad.  I am so overwhelmed with the number of samples I have, i'm hoping to put some up on ebay this weekend.  

Back