February No/Low-Buy 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the subject of canceling subs:  I'm finding that I'm actually looking forward to what I get in my subs each month a *lot* more now that I've cut *way* down on them -- and the ones I get are now a lot more focused in product type.  At one point, I was getting multiple Birchboxes, Glossybox, ipsy, and I don't even remember what else.  I was probably getting at least fifteen packages from subs a month.  Now, I've pared things down to one Birchbox (on an annual sub which will renew on Saturday, if I recall correctly), Starbox, SquareHue (nail polish only), and Glamour Doll Eyes (one loose pigment a month and sometimes miscellaneous extras.  This is another annual sub, although this one is already paid for until the end of the year).  Oh, and Fortune Cookie Soap, although that's quarterly.  I also have Scratch (nail wraps) and Julep (nail polish), although I skipped Scratch this month, and I've been skipping Julep probably three out of four months for the past couple of years. 

Now that I've cut things down, when a package shows up, I open it and immediately start playing with the contents instead of getting it, maybe opening it, maybe not, setting it aside for a few days, and maybe not ever getting around to even *trying* everything because I have *so many things* that I get overwhelmed.  Getting fewer things is turning out to make everything more fun!

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  bleeeeh. ok i should be happy buuut my job is 95% that they're going to fly me out to the HQ during spring break. (i'm a student working part time and remotely) I'm so excited by the opportunity and I love the team and I'm so excited to see them again BUUUT this means i have to do some serious, i mean *serious* clothes shopping. I hate this in-between-winter-and-spring crap that stores put out. Plus, I'm just not in the mood to clothes shop anyway! Boooo. I'm just really comfy over here wearing 3 pairs of leggings as pants with a shirt long enough to cover my butt. i dont wanna wear real pants :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Also, someone needs to remind me that i don't need to go out and buy minis of my shampoo, face wash, etc. and that dumping my beauty essentials in little TSA friendly containers will be totally OK for my week long trip. Plus -- I can take this as an opportunity to use foils!
BR is a good option! They and Ann Taylor company (aka +Loft) have generally affordable work-friendly clothes, but BR has a much lower free ship price. BR's average top discount is 40% (you can trick it into giving you 50% when they're having one of those sales and change your cookies), but I've gotten 40%+25% email sign up to work together previously for like 52%.

Some other options are Zara (which is beautiful and I lust but so pricey) and Uniqlo, which is fairly priced and they have some cute stuff right now. With Uniqlo, I'm just a little worried about sizing because their stuff runs waaay large from what I'm used to.

Le sigh. It looks like my got-an-annual-bonus celebratory shopping spree is going to consist of a new hard drive to replace the one trying to die, bras to replace the ones that broke, jeans to replace the ones that wore out, socks to replace the ones that also wore out, a pair of sneakers so I have a second pair when the current pair is too wet to wear, and a root canal/crown combo. Be jealous.

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Le sigh. It looks like my got-an-annual-bonus celebratory shopping spree is going to consist of a new hard drive to replace the one trying to die, bras to replace the ones that broke, jeans to replace the ones that wore out, socks to replace the ones that also wore out, a pair of sneakers so I have a second pair when the current pair is too wet to wear, and a root canal/crown combo. Be jealous.
Yeah I also had to replace my bras recently.  It was a bummer... even the 'cheap' good quality ones are so expensive.

On the other hand I guess you do wear them daily, so...

Yeah I also had to replace my bras recently.  It was a bummer... even the 'cheap' good quality ones are so expensive. On the other hand I guess you do wear them daily, so...
In the words of one of my favorite podcasters, I am "highly blessed and favored," and sturdy scaffolding ain't cheap. There is no picking through the Target/Victoria's Secret clearance racks/bins for these boobies.

Quote: Originally Posted by tulosai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Ok I actually did it I cancelled Birchbox!

Hopefully I won't regret it...
You will be okay. I promise.

A birchbox subscription does not bring happiness, does not make you healthier, does not feed your family or children, and does not decide what route you choose for your future. These are things where your choices could make you regret something later in life. A subscription to samples fits in none of the above.

Just take a deep breath and be proud that you just decluttered one more thing in your life. We can do this 
biggrin.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by jaylilee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  You will be okay. I promise.

A birchbox subscription does not bring happiness, does not make you healthier, does not feed your family or children, and does not decide what route you choose for your future. These are things where your choices could make you regret something later in life. A subscription to samples fits in none of the above.

Just take a deep breath and be proud that you just decluttered one more thing in your life. We can do this 
biggrin.gif

Yesssss decluttering... I really need to get it together to just throw a bunch of stuff out honestly, both makeup related and not... and of course even moreso to use the things I have that I think I might actually use...

I cheated >.< 
I was on BH Cosmetics, and I ordered the Brazil palette and their eco brush set o.o I hope it was worth it.. but I still feel guilty. xD
I, too, cancelled my BB sub. Haha, I only became subscribed in January, and I have 110 points, but after experiencing it for 2 months, and I had Ipsy for two months last year, I realised that subscription services just aren't for me. I guess I would rather just have the $10 and get something I already know I love, or will probably love based on the obsessive amounts of reviews I read on things before purchasing. 

Quote: Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  BR is a good option! They and Ann Taylor company (aka +Loft) have generally affordable work-friendly clothes, but BR has a much lower free ship price. BR's average top discount is 40% (you can trick it into giving you 50% when they're having one of those sales and change your cookies), but I've gotten 40%+25% email sign up to work together previously for like 52%.

Some other options are Zara (which is beautiful and I lust but so pricey) and Uniqlo, which is fairly priced and they have some cute stuff right now. With Uniqlo, I'm just a little worried about sizing because their stuff runs waaay large from what I'm used to.
thanks for the reminder! i edited cookies to get the 50% off and am buying 

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=26497&vid=1&pid=326715092 <-- in khaki , it'll look good with a statement necklace

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=26499&vid=1&pid=931965002 <-- in black because i think blue and white looked to furniturey.

i had no patience to figure out how to stack and i can live with 50% off! next challenge: find bottoms to fit my big booty (i dont trust online shopping for pants)

This sounds exactly like me. I buy the bare minimum (except for makeup...that's why I'm here) and use it til it can't be used or worn anymore. I have two pairs of jeans. A new pair that can be worn in public and one that's threadbare on the thighs and is one squat from being split! Santa buys my socks otherwise I would have had to purchase more to replace my hole-y ones this winter. I just bought new boots since my ones that were 4 years old started falling apart. And I also just bought two new bras since my other ones were really bringing me down;) I'm trying to save money but everything seemed to fall apart at once this winter!

This sounds exactly like me. I buy the bare minimum (except for makeup...that's why I'm here) and use it til it can't be used or worn anymore. I have two pairs of jeans. A new pair that can be worn in public and one that's threadbare on the thighs and is one squat from being split! Santa buys my socks otherwise I would have had to purchase more to replace my hole-y ones this winter. I just bought new boots since my ones that were 4 years old started falling apart. And I also just bought two new bras since my other ones were really bringing me down;) I'm trying to save money but everything seemed to fall apart at once this winter!
So much this. I've had something like four bras break within the past four weeks. There's nothing like an underwire snapping in the middle of the morning at work. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I messed up big time! Little Black Bag was having a big sale, and I bought a lot of stuff! I thought I was completely done there, but they really had some great discounts, and I needed some professional looking bags for my job interviews. 

It's probably completely terrible of me, but whenever I'm going to be somewhere for a bit, I just buy a whole new thing of conditioner once at my destination. I go through so much of it that the little TSA approved size wouldn't last me and hotel sizes are never ever going to be enough. =( Thankfully my leave-in is cheapish? For clothes I totally suggest Loft. It's basically Ann Taylor, but with better price tags and tons of online sales. It's my staple go-to for office wear that I can also use in everyday life. Plus, petite section! Where is the HQ you're going to? 
I'll be in NJ by way of WI! I used to just buy another full size of shampoo/conditioner when i travel but i dont think i'll have access to a store this time around. Uggggh. I loooove *love* Loft but right now they're renovating at my local mall so the store is a mess and i hate shopping in those conditions. i'll probably hit up my usual gap/old navy and make the best out of it. spring break is in 2 weeks (wtf where has time gone? its still super cold) so i think ordering anything online may be cutting it close, especially if i have to get something hemmed. I'm sure what I own already is fine, i'm just freaking out about little things. =P
If you have any spare time during the trip, come and visit NYC! I've been buying a ton of clothes at NYC sample sales recently. At the last sample sale I went to, I bought 10 Theory pieces (normally $150+ each) for the grand total of $100 (normally sample sales aren't this dirt cheap, but are usually around 75-80% off retail)! Off hand, I know that a Club Monaco sample sale is coming up in March.

Quote: Originally Posted by jpark107 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you have any spare time during the trip, come and visit NYC! I've been buying a ton of clothes at NYC sample sales recently. At the last sample sale I went to, I bought 10 Theory pieces (normally $150+ each) for the grand total of $100 (normally sample sales aren't this dirt cheap, but are usually around 75-80% off retail)! Off hand, I know that a Club Monaco sample sale is coming up in March.
what is this concept of sample sales?!

I lived in NYC for a long time but was never into fashion, so I wouldn't even know where to start with those -- it would be nice to know about though for my next trip.

Ughhh don't tell me about Club Monaco SS! I have been to a few so far, but try to avoid them! I work very close to Soho, but luckily, the good sales require more than a lunch hour.  I impulse buy like crazy at them and end up with one piece I love and then a bunch I bought because OMG it's $10.

For instance, I have two pairs of Cheap Monday jeans that are nowhere NEAR my size! 

OMG this is why I'm not allowed to go to NYC. I dream of going to sample sales!

Aaaaand I crashed and burned and spent $75 at ulta. Granted some of the stuff I actually did need and was allowed to get...but not the eye shadow pallete. But at the very least its very different then what I own.

Quote: Originally Posted by jaylilee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

what is this concept of sample sales?!

I lived in NYC for a long time but was never into fashion, so I wouldn't even know where to start with those -- it would be nice to know about though for my next trip.

Sample sales are magical events where you can get clothing, home goods, etc at a steep discount. A variety of brands have sample sales, from C Wonder to Manolo Blahnik to Hermes. There's a Diptyque (candles and home fragrances) sample sale going on right now and the lines are ridiculous.

I find sample sales via http://ny.racked.com/

To give you an idea on prices, I've listed the recent sample sales that I've attended, along with the approximate costs and number/type of items:

- BCBG (spent $45 on a pair of pants)

- Joie (spent $45 on a pair of pants)

- Yumi Kim (spent $75 on 1 silk dress)

- Helmut Lang (spent $180 on 2 shirts, 1 sweater and got a free gwp bralette)

- Club Monaco (spent $45 on 1 skirt, 2 shirts and 2 belts)

- Theory (spent $150 on 12 items, mainly pants and a handful of skirts)

- Natori (spent $66 on an assortment of lingerie and lounge wear = $10 bras, $3 underwear and $15 robe)

- Nest (spent ~$50 on 2 candles and 1 body wash)

Back