February No/Low-Buy 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by chelsealady /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Gift with purchase.
AHA!

That makes sense. 

I had thought about going to Lush and buying a bottle or two of shower gel as a celebratory splurge since it's bonus week -- and then I got home tonight and discovered that my mystery Lush package (a present from someone) actually contained small bottles of the two shower gels I was debating between!  So no need to go buy any.  I'll be getting two or three things from Starlooks, but I have a $35 gift code situation there, so I am currently debating what to get there.  I have a few things on my wishlist, but they're rolling out cream shadows, and I'm thinking about maybe getting one of those with my code since it would be free (I also want a particular cream blush and a specific Tendergloss, so we'll see how things go once the cream shadows go up).  So for the rest of the week, no-buy except two lunches, my Tuesday mocha, and my Friday croissant!  I *can* do it!

(I do have another mystery swap -- like Secret Santa, but St. Patrick's Day-themed this time around -- coming up that I will be getting my swappee for tomorrow, but I can spend the rest of the week mulling over what to get my recipient and then actually *buy* stuff over the weekend.)

bleeeeh. ok i should be happy buuut my job is 95% that they're going to fly me out to the HQ during spring break. (i'm a student working part time and remotely) I'm so excited by the opportunity and I love the team and I'm so excited to see them again BUUUT this means i have to do some serious, i mean *serious* clothes shopping. I hate this in-between-winter-and-spring crap that stores put out. Plus, I'm just not in the mood to clothes shop anyway! Boooo. I'm just really comfy over here wearing 3 pairs of leggings as pants with a shirt long enough to cover my butt. i dont wanna wear real pants :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Also, someone needs to remind me that i don't need to go out and buy minis of my shampoo, face wash, etc. and that dumping my beauty essentials in little TSA friendly containers will be totally OK for my week long trip. Plus -- I can take this as an opportunity to use foils!

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  bleeeeh. ok i should be happy buuut my job is 95% that they're going to fly me out to the HQ during spring break. (i'm a student working part time and remotely) I'm so excited by the opportunity and I love the team and I'm so excited to see them again BUUUT this means i have to do some serious, i mean *serious* clothes shopping. I hate this in-between-winter-and-spring crap that stores put out. Plus, I'm just not in the mood to clothes shop anyway! Boooo. I'm just really comfy over here wearing 3 pairs of leggings as pants with a shirt long enough to cover my butt. i dont wanna wear real pants :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Also, someone needs to remind me that i don't need to go out and buy minis of my shampoo, face wash, etc. and that dumping my beauty essentials in little TSA friendly containers will be totally OK for my week long trip. Plus -- I can take this as an opportunity to use foils!
so long as your essentials are under the 3oz rule! Which honestly.... most should be. otherwise buy little empty bottles instead of minis, and decant some into those. 

Quote: Originally Posted by jaylilee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  so long as your essentials are under the 3oz rule! Which honestly.... most should be. otherwise buy little empty bottles instead of minis, and decant some into those. 
thats what i meant!  i did that last time i traveled there and it turns out they had some pretty nicely luxe products in the hotels -- either bliss for body stuff or something? i dont remember. i have the worst time saving the little bottles to decant into. i always throw them out at the end of a trip.

Hit up Ann Taylor! Ahhhh!

Sorry, I *am* in the mood to clothes shop, but my new job has a uniform. *dies*

Quote: Originally Posted by kotoko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Hit up Ann Taylor! Ahhhh!

Sorry, I *am* in the mood to clothes shop, but my new job has a uniform. *dies*
omg. in a crazy totalitarian corporate kinda way, i wish my job had uniforms. it would make everything so much easier. this is coming from a girl who has gone/is going to catholic school from preschool straight through my grad degree...and in my undergrad i worked jobs that had dress codes that pretty much spilled into my daily life. when i would be away on internships i would go CRAAAAZY with clothes shopping and deal hunting. but i gained some poundage during this whole grad school thang and none of my cute jcrew fancy work clothes fit. oopsies.

thats what i meant!  i did that last time i traveled there and it turns out they had some pretty nicely luxe products in the hotels -- either bliss for body stuff or something? i dont remember. i have the worst time saving the little bottles to decant into. i always throw them out at the end of a trip.
if you have a lot of foils, and you know that none of it will break you out or make your hair go on a freak tangent and light up like it's macy's christmas parade, I say go with foils and burn through some of them.

and I'm STILL trying to lose the considerable (not just some, but considerable) poundage I gained from college. UGH. 

if you have a lot of foils, and you know that none of it will break you out or make your hair go on a freak tangent and light up like it's macy's christmas parade, I say go with foils and burn through some of them.

and I'm STILL trying to lose the considerable (not just some, but considerable) poundage I gained from college. UGH. 
that's my main problem :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> my hair has been pretty unhappy recently and i'm afraid to try something new despite having 2+ weeks worth of bumble and bumble foils. i now know that the $4 of trader joe's tea tree shampoo is what i should be using for now! 

lolol. i managed to actually lose weight in my undergrad (i mean like 10 lb nothing major but i was consistent!) then as soon as i hit the second semester of my senior year, i started to gain weight slowly but surely. i've been eating much better and have become more active! i just want my clothes to fit again haha

that's my main problem :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> my hair has been pretty unhappy recently and i'm afraid to try something new despite having 2+ weeks worth of bumble and bumble foils. i now know that the $4 of trader joe's tea tree shampoo is what i should be using for now! 

lolol. i managed to actually lose weight in my undergrad (i mean like 10 lb nothing major but i was consistent!) then as soon as i hit the second semester of my senior year, i started to gain weight slowly but surely. i've been eating much better and have become more active! i just want my clothes to fit again haha

It's probably completely terrible of me, but whenever I'm going to be somewhere for a bit, I just buy a whole new thing of conditioner once at my destination. I go through so much of it that the little TSA approved size wouldn't last me and hotel sizes are never ever going to be enough. =( Thankfully my leave-in is cheapish?

For clothes I totally suggest Loft. It's basically Ann Taylor, but with better price tags and tons of online sales. It's my staple go-to for office wear that I can also use in everyday life. Plus, petite section! Where is the HQ you're going to? 

Do you have sundresses and blazers to choose from in your closet? I work in a professional atmosphere, and that's been my go-to for years.  It's amazing how professional a standard dress can look with a black blazer on top! I love this, too, because, add tights and a sweater, and my wardrobe works for all seasons. 

Quote: Originally Posted by ZeeOmega /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's probably completely terrible of me, but whenever I'm going to be somewhere for a bit, I just buy a whole new thing of conditioner once at my destination. I go through so much of it that the little TSA approved size wouldn't last me and hotel sizes are never ever going to be enough. =( Thankfully my leave-in is cheapish?

For clothes I totally suggest Loft. It's basically Ann Taylor, but with better price tags and tons of online sales. It's my staple go-to for office wear that I can also use in everyday life. Plus, petite section! Where is the HQ you're going to? 

I'll be in NJ by way of WI! I used to just buy another full size of shampoo/conditioner when i travel but i dont think i'll have access to a store this time around. Uggggh. I loooove *love* Loft but right now they're renovating at my local mall so the store is a mess and i hate shopping in those conditions.

i'll probably hit up my usual gap/old navy and make the best out of it. spring break is in 2 weeks (wtf where has time gone? its still super cold) so i think ordering anything online may be cutting it close, especially if i have to get something hemmed. I'm sure what I own already is fine, i'm just freaking out about little things. =P

Quote: Originally Posted by camel11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Do you have sundresses and blazers to choose from in your closet? I work in a professional atmosphere, and that's been my go-to for years.  It's amazing how professional a standard dress can look with a black blazer on top! I love this, too, because, add tights and a sweater, and my wardrobe works for all seasons. 
PERFECT. yes .i'm going to play closet tetris when i get home! a lot of my things are short sleeves that i would wear with blazers anyway! 

Quote: Originally Posted by ZeeOmega /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'll be in NJ by way of WI! I used to just buy another full size of shampoo/conditioner when i travel but i dont think i'll have access to a store this time around. Uggggh. I loooove *love* Loft but right now they're renovating at my local mall so the store is a mess and i hate shopping in those conditions.

i'll probably hit up my usual gap/old navy and make the best out of it. spring break is in 2 weeks (wtf where has time gone? its still super cold) so i think ordering anything online may be cutting it close, especially if i have to get something hemmed. I'm sure what I own already is fine, i'm just freaking out about little things. =P

I'm sure what you have will be fine and after Wisconsin, NJ is going to feel downright balmy to you! My brother-in-law is currently in Madison and I've decided that visiting is not happening until something called Summer decides to appear. I have to do all my Loft shopping online since I live in the middle of nowhere, but I find their sizes to be pretty consistent. Plus, their shipment center is right outside of Chicago, so I wouldn't think it would take long to you. 

omg. in a crazy totalitarian corporate kinda way, i wish my job had uniforms. it would make everything so much easier. this is coming from a girl who has gone/is going to catholic school from preschool straight through my grad degree...and in my undergrad i worked jobs that had dress codes that pretty much spilled into my daily life. when i would be away on internships i would go CRAAAAZY with clothes shopping and deal hunting. but i gained some poundage during this whole grad school thang and none of my cute jcrew fancy work clothes fit. oopsies.
Hahaha, well, I'm allowed to wear other clothes, but due to the nature of my job, I have very strict rules on sleeve length and neckline that a lot of my clothes just don't make the cut. Plus, I could very well ruin them by mistake. (I'm in the manufacturing field.)

Ohhh, I see you're going to NJ? I'm from there! Which part?

I just discovered this site and this thread (hello!) annnnnnnnd I think I'm going to need this thread in March.  I'm a horrible impulse buyer, and have spent way too much on makeup lately!  I need a no-buy!

Quote: Originally Posted by classygame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I just discovered this site and this thread (hello!) annnnnnnnd I think I'm going to need this thread in March.  I'm a horrible impulse buyer, and have spent way too much on makeup lately!  I need a no-buy!
Welcome! We definitely all need some help haha lol! 

i'm resisting a good deal at a favorite beauty site. feeling more and more confident about my no-buy until march 15. last time i tried a no-buy, it didn't work so i had to do a low buy instead. i think i'll do a no-buy til march 15, then a low buy of up to $20 for the rest of march. 
smilehappyyes.gif
 i can do this!

Jess, use up those foils!  It will feel so good, and you'll be able to go through a bunch of them (lots of moisturizer packets can be used up in cold winter weather...) so the pile of empties will look very satisfying.

In other news, I broke my low buy.  Not badly--there was a crazy bargain and I went for it. Found a mini-bottle of perfume--one that I only ever would want a mini of anyway--at an estate sale.  No price tag.  When I asked, the seller said it was a dollar!  So I bought it!  I'm not upset about the amount of money, because that was a serious deal, but did I need another bottle of perfume, even a mini?  NO I DID NOT.  

Back