February No/Low-Buy 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm kinda in a weird shopping mood. My boyfriend wants some Kusmi tea so I'll use birchbox points for that, of course. But part of me wants to pick up the Revealed palette or the Besame rouge/lipstick duo. I can't decide which though. But if I spend $50 I can use MOBILE20! But do I really need more make up? No probably not. I made $50 this week selling stuff on Instagram. I'm trying to think if I should sell things on eBay or not. I have a good bit of samples from the same brands (Kiehl's, origins..). I might just list them on Instagram but sometimes they just move so slowly! I'm really proud I wasn't even tempted by the Balm sale yesterday either! Yay me!

@meaganola  that's good information to know! My hubby works for a bank and he is definitely for the update to the european style thing. Becuase US cards are definitely very old technology. Thankfully when my new card was sent out, I only had like...2 websites to update. Not too shabby. I don't have any subs.

On that note -- I did a little experiment, after finding myself craving eyeshadows. I took pictures of ALL my shadows and posted it on instagram.... palette by palette. By the time I was done, it was almost overwhelming how many I have. The thing is, I use them all and love all colors, (I'm kind of selective), but at the same time, I have a TON! No more eyeshadows for me. I definitely don't need any more. Not even another matte black. ESPECIALLY not another matte black. or any other browns or neutrals. omg. I mean, counting them to take inventory was one thing -- taking images of them and actually seeing them is another entirely. how did I end up with so many?! at least the pictures will keep me accountable. also perhaps a good way to just going back through them when i forget i have something? just one quick glance. 

Quote: Originally Posted by jaylilee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  @meaganola  that's good information to know! My hubby works for a bank and he is definitely for the update to the european style thing. Becuase US cards are definitely very old technology. Thankfully when my new card was sent out, I only had like...2 websites to update. Not too shabby. I don't have any subs.

On that note -- I did a little experiment, after finding myself craving eyeshadows. I took pictures of ALL my shadows and posted it on instagram.... palette by palette. By the time I was done, it was almost overwhelming how many I have. The thing is, I use them all and love all colors, (I'm kind of selective), but at the same time, I have a TON! No more eyeshadows for me. I definitely don't need any more. Not even another matte black. ESPECIALLY not another matte black. or any other browns or neutrals. omg. I mean, counting them to take inventory was one thing -- taking images of them and actually seeing them is another entirely. how did I end up with so many?! at least the pictures will keep me accountable. also perhaps a good way to just going back through them when i forget i have something? just one quick glance. 
Looking through my stash helps curb temptation TREMENDOUSLY! I'm like OMGGG, I'll never ever ever use this all up. I have many eyeshadow palettes, blush, and lippies that I just won't ever get through. I just feel guilty for having so many. And if I'm out looking around and I'm tempted by more pretties, I just think about all the shit I already have.

Looking through my stash helps curb temptation TREMENDOUSLY! I'm like OMGGG, I'll never ever ever use this all up. I have many eyeshadow palettes, blush, and lippies that I just won't ever get through. I just feel guilty for having so many. And if I'm out looking around and I'm tempted by more pretties, I just think about all the shit I already have.
Yes! This is what helps me most. I feel guilty looking at it all too. I'm glad I'm not the only one! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Since eBay selling has come up on the thread this month...a question for you sellers. Do you think it is worth the hassle to break up a huge lot into several smaller ones? I'm assuming that packaging them smaller or brand-oriented would be better, but I'm wondering if it would really be worth the extra effort to post them and ship them in smaller groups. I just want this stuff OUT of my house! Haha. 

Quote: Originally Posted by hsalt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Since eBay selling has come up on the thread this month...a question for you sellers. Do you think it is worth the hassle to break up a huge lot into several smaller ones? I'm assuming that packaging them smaller or brand-oriented would be better, but I'm wondering if it would really be worth the extra effort to post them and ship them in smaller groups. I just want this stuff OUT of my house! Haha. 

If you receive offers for individual items, I'd go ahead and break up the lot. I've done that twice and the stuff that remained sold eventually.

Update: after using one Boscia pore strip last night, the Clarisonic deep pore brush head this morning, and the Boscia black mask tonight, my pores feel much better. Still need a few days' work, but now I don't feel so bad about dropping the money on this stuff. For those who have tried the mask, did you actually see anything on it after pulling it off? Mine only had air bubbles on it.

I'm putting myself on a no buy this month. Last month I don't even want to know how much I spent after IMATS and ISSE and couple trips to Ulta. It's been 8 days, so far so good. 

Gah, this weather is making me really cranky.  On the up side, I don't even want to browse online.  I have a credit on amazon, and I can't find anything I want to spend it on!  I can't set foot outside of my apartment because my stairs and landing are under half an inch of ice!  I can't see the bottom three steps due to the snow!  At this point, all I want is a pizza, and even if I could get outside, I'm pretty sure the pizza place is closed because we're under a city-wide emergency alert to stay inside due to the ice.  It's warming up, which is good because that means the snow on top is melting, but it's bad because that means that the ground under the snow is a city-sized luge run because the water just freezes once it goes down through the snow and hits the ground.  

(On the up side, I'm watching a whole lot of _Fringe_.  I was determined to finish it before the winter is over.  At the rate I'm going through these episodes, I'll probably be done with it before the snow melts.  And the kitties are being super snuggle.  Uh.  Well.  I'm not quite sure that's an up side.  Ed likes to kind of lunge at my head/neck and nuzzle.  And try to eat my hair.  Oz just kind of shoves himself under my chin and sits on my chest.  All eighteen-plus pounds of him.  They're both lickers.  They have all of the batshits.)

My point was...  Oh, screw it.  I have no point.  I have cabin fever.  And possibly no way to get to out of my apartment tomorrow morning.  It's supposed to stay above freezing for as long as the forecast runs, but there's a *lot* of ice on my stairs and driveway.  Time to get out the hammer and see if I can break up the ice on at least the landing.

I have to get back to this forum. Somehow Instagram has me browsing makeup again and that's a dangerous habit. I am going on a no buy for the rest of the month as well and let my allowance sit there for next month. The only thing I will allow myself to get is illamasquas blush in lover, because I have a birthday gift card with just enough $$ in it to cover it, that and the sephora birthday gift they give out, which is surprisingly a nice one: a lippie and mini mascara from mufe. Then a sampler pack from BPAL with another gift card from a friend. I've never tried their perfumes so it should be interesting. Other than that though, not allowed anything else. I'm trying to find ways to play with what I already have and part of my anxiety I think is also cabin fever. Like I'm itchy to find something to do, and MU seems like the only outlet right now, but that's not good.

I have to get back to this forum. Somehow Instagram has me browsing makeup again and that's a dangerous habit. I am going on a no buy for the rest of the month as well and let my allowance sit there for next month. The only thing I will allow myself to get is illamasquas blush in lover, because I have a birthday gift card with just enough $$ in it to cover it, that and the sephora birthday gift they give out, which is surprisingly a nice one: a lippie and mini mascara from mufe. Then a sampler pack from BPAL with another gift card from a friend. I've never tried their perfumes so it should be interesting. Other than that though, not allowed anything else.

I'm trying to find ways to play with what I already have and part of my anxiety I think is also cabin fever. Like I'm itchy to find something to do, and MU seems like the only outlet right now, but that's not good.
Ooh, what BPAL did you get/are you getting?  I actually need to go buy stuff for a V-Day swap hosted on bpal.org (the fan forum, not the official Lab site), but, well, not happening this weekend.  I can spend *days* talking about BPAL.  Actually, honestly, years.  I've been over on bpal.org since 2007!  In fact, I'm going to go through my imp stash in just a few minutes to send off a starter kit to a MUT-er.  It may or may not get in the mail tomorrow.  It all depends on whether I can get down my stairs without breaking bones tomorrow.  I did manage to get about a third of my stairs cleared using a hammer and a mop handle (trying to channel my inner Macgyver because, ugh, can I go *anywhere* now?  Even just to my car to get the box o'kitty litter I'm pretty sure is in there would be awesome.  Cat poop keeps on coming regardless of the weather!), but the ice on the rest is still far too solid for me to break up right now.  And I couldn't hold the hammer or mop handle any more.  The vibrations were really starting to bother my hands.  

(I'm going into Fred Meyer withdrawals. I think I really just want some fresh fruit/vegetables.  I'm starting to seriously fantasize about apples and tangerines.  And salad.  And some good hot cocoa.  I accidentally bought the stuff with Sucralose.  That crap tastes like licorice to me.  Oh!  I bought some carrots last time I went grocery shopping!  They might still be edible!  Time to check on those!)

Ooh, what BPAL did you get/are you getting?  I actually need to go buy stuff for a V-Day swap hosted on bpal.org (the fan forum, not the official Lab site), but, well, not happening this weekend.  I can spend *days* talking about BPAL.  Actually, honestly, years.  I've been over on bpal.org since 2007!  In fact, I'm going to go through my imp stash in just a few minutes to send off a starter kit to a MUT-er.  It may or may not get in the mail tomorrow.  It all depends on whether I can get down my stairs without breaking bones tomorrow.  I did manage to get about a third of my stairs cleared using a hammer and a mop handle (trying to channel my inner Macgyver because, ugh, can I go *anywhere* now?  Even just to my car to get the box o'kitty litter I'm pretty sure is in there would be awesome.  Cat poop keeps on coming regardless of the weather!), but the ice on the rest is still far too solid for me to break up right now.  And I couldn't hold the hammer or mop handle any more.  The vibrations were really starting to bother my hands.   (I'm going into Fred Meyer withdrawals. I think I really just want some fresh fruit/vegetables.  I'm starting to seriously fantasize about apples and tangerines.  And salad.  And some good hot cocoa.  I accidentally bought the stuff with Sucralose.  That crap tastes like licorice to me.  Oh!  I bought some carrots last time I went grocery shopping!  They might still be edible!  Time to check on those!)
Ohhh someone who knows bpal! Maybe I can get your input. I am not sure what to get yet. I know they have kind of pre-arranged starter packs by theme and I'm thinking of something lightly floral or fruity, but grounded and not overly sweet. Any ideas?? I'm looking for spring recommendations. I found bpal a year ago but haven't pulled the trigger on getting anything, though I've been eyeing the imps for a while. I love perfumes!

i think for me, selling on ebay helps me a lot in slowing down my spending. doing all the work required in selling through ebay kinda makes me want to hold on to my money more! i'm still buying stuff, but less. also, placing small orders helps me too.. not necessarily small orders at sephora, but mostly buying travel sizes in ebay etc., other websites with free shipping code, etc... then just placing one order a day (or none at all). i know it still adds up, but it's much better this way, at least for now. i sold $420 of stuff so far in february, and definitely spent less than that (for february), so it's going well! i'll keep on lessening the amount of money i spent buying stuff....just keep working at it! 
smile.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by saku /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  i think for me, selling on ebay helps me a lot in slowing down my spending. doing all the work required in selling through ebay kinda makes me want to hold on to my money more! i'm still buying stuff, but less. also, placing small orders helps me too.. not necessarily small orders at sephora, but mostly buying travel sizes in ebay etc., other websites with free shipping code, etc... then just placing one order a day (or none at all). i know it still adds up, but it's much better this way, at least for now. i sold $420 of stuff so far in february, and definitely spent less than that (for february), so it's going well! i'll keep on lessening the amount of money i spent buying stuff....just keep working at it! 
smile.gif

Dang girl, that's awesome! Congratulations! I need to sell some stuff on Ebay soon.... I'm just so caught up at my job right now and with my class, and personal problems, it's a bit too hard to tackle everything!

Luckily, ladies, we only have..... 19 days left, not to bad!!!

I'm doing pretty damn good on my no-buy. Instead of caving and getting the 3x points on perfume for the Lavanila rollerball and travel-size deodorant, I may get myself a vanilla essential oil.... we'll see.

I did go grocery shopping today, and kind of couldn't help but look at the makeup aisle. I bought an ecotools brush set called the 'eye enhancing duo set' that I already have and love and use daily, so I figured it'd be nice to have a back-up at work or in my purse.

Other than that.... I'm doing great! I just have to get past V-day and I'll be good (that's when the 3x points on fragrance at sephora ends!!!)

Good luck this week, ladies!!!!

Ohhh someone who knows bpal! Maybe I can get your input. I am not sure what to get yet. I know they have kind of pre-arranged starter packs by theme and I'm thinking of something lightly floral or fruity, but grounded and not overly sweet. Any ideas?? I'm looking for spring recommendations. I found bpal a year ago but haven't pulled the trigger on getting anything, though I've been eyeing the imps for a while. I love perfumes!
Ooh, springy fruity florals!  I'm not a fan of most florals (anything with "white" in the description is bottled STABBITY), but a few of my favorites:

• Tamora (the sandalwood pulls it in a lovely dry direction)
  • La Bella Donna Della Mia Mente (I need to get some more of this one, in fact)
  • Lolita (this might be a little sweet for you, but I love its melted lemon drops crossed with honeysuckle-ness)
  • Cheshire Cat (not super floral, but it's got some lovely herbs going on)
  • Alice (one of their most popular oils for a reason!  Not super fruity, but it's very lovely and comforting)
  • Bewitched (not a floral, but I still love it because it's a dead ringer for Republic of Tea Blackberry Sage to my nose)

Voodoo Lily gets an honorable mention.  It's not fruity, and it doesn't smell like a floral despite the fact that it is one, but I love its cola spiciness.  Yes, cola, even though it's actually a floral.

(My standard suggested beginner's pack:  Dragon's Milk, Snake Oil, Alice, Morocco, Dorian, and O, although I actually hate O and would personally go with The Raven, Voodoo Lily, or Cheshire Cat.  These are not all fruity-floral, though, which is why I didn't give this list in the first section.)

Ugh, I have more suggestions, but I spent a couple of hours hammering -- yup, with an actual hammer -- the ice off my stairs today.  My hands, wrists, and arms are *pissed* at me, and I can't type any more tonight.  I could barely hold a nail polish brush long enough to do my nails.  But at least now I can see *all* of my stairs!  I might get out of my apartment tomorrow after all!  And I'm exhausted even though I did pretty much nothing all day but watch yet more _Fringe_ and curse the ice.  Time for bed.  Here's hoping I wake up to a slushy city instead of an icy one!

i think for me, selling on ebay helps me a lot in slowing down my spending. doing all the work required in selling through ebay kinda makes me want to hold on to my money more! i'm still buying stuff, but less. also, placing small orders helps me too.. not necessarily small orders at sephora, but mostly buying travel sizes in ebay etc., other websites with free shipping code, etc... then just placing one order a day (or none at all). i know it still adds up, but it's much better this way, at least for now. i sold $420 of stuff so far in february, and definitely spent less than that (for february), so it's going well! i'll keep on lessening the amount of money i spent buying stuff....just keep working at it!  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  
WOW Way to go!!! That's amazing. I'm avoiding all websites that even remotely sell makeup at all costs, and on instagram I am only looking at tutorials and "looks" that I can try and recreate (who knows, maybe it'll spark some inspiration?), but definitely staying out of the makeuphaul hashtag. also the projectpan one is pretty inspiring.
Dang girl, that's awesome! Congratulations! I need to sell some stuff on Ebay soon.... I'm just so caught up at my job right now and with my class, and personal problems, it's a bit too hard to tackle everything! Luckily, ladies, we only have..... 19 days left, not to bad!!! I'm doing pretty damn good on my no-buy. Instead of caving and getting the 3x points on perfume for the Lavanila rollerball and travel-size deodorant, I may get myself a vanilla essential oil.... we'll see. I did go grocery shopping today, and kind of couldn't help but look at the makeup aisle. I bought an ecotools brush set called the 'eye enhancing duo set' that I already have and love and use daily, so I figured it'd be nice to have a back-up at work or in my purse. Other than that.... I'm doing great! I just have to get past V-day and I'll be good (that's when the 3x points on fragrance at sephora ends!!!) Good luck this week, ladies!!!!
vanilla always smells so delicious! though, on me, i think by the end of the day my skin amplifies the vanilla and it ends up being overly sweet...which is a shame, since anything too sweet = IMMEDIATE HEADACHE. My husband loves the smell on me, though lol. it's so hard to find one he likes and i love. @meaganola thank you lady! I'll check into this. and I agree. I was looking at the "white floral" thing and the list sounded migraine inducing. I am allowing myself this simply because my giftcard will cover the whole thing xD so I don't feel guilty. I am also trying to tread water carefully though, as I have heard once people start getting into bpal scents, it's addicting.

WOW Way to go!!! That's amazing. I'm avoiding all websites that even remotely sell makeup at all costs, and on instagram I am only looking at tutorials and "looks" that I can try and recreate (who knows, maybe it'll spark some inspiration?), but definitely staying out of the makeuphaul hashtag. also the projectpan one is pretty inspiring.

Quote: Originally Posted by eastofthesun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Dang girl, that's awesome! Congratulations! I need to sell some stuff on Ebay soon.... I'm just so caught up at my job right now and with my class, and personal problems, it's a bit too hard to tackle everything!

thanks a lot! though at this point (after selling more than $1000 of stuff on eBay within the past 2 months), i may have run out of things to sell (i have $300 worth listed right now)...unless i start selling things that i still do like! all this selling made me realize how much stuff i have that's not even opened, and not being used! and how much money i've locked up in my drawers (as makeup/beauty products).. i'm contemplating selling some UD eyeliners and bunch of lippies I've never tested, and more more stuff i've never even opened!...but that might make me sad and want to buy more..lol

Quote: Originally Posted by saku /img/forum/go_quote.gif

thanks a lot! though at this point (after selling more than $1000 of stuff on eBay within the past 2 months), i may have run out of things to sell (i have $300 worth listed right now)...unless i start selling things that i still do like! all this selling made me realize how much stuff i have that's not even opened, and not being used! and how much money i've locked up in my drawers (as makeup/beauty products).. i'm contemplating selling some UD eyeliners and bunch of lippies I've never tested, and more more stuff i've never even opened!...but that might make me sad and want to buy more..lol
remember that after you sell over a specific amount worth of stuff, you need to report taxes! so try and keep good records of all the stuff you've sold. don't wanna get in trouble with the IRA! (if you're in the states).

Ugh.  I feel the need to buy starting up.  We're going to have horrible weather this week (again!) and I'm in the South, which means *everything* shuts down!  And as much as I dearly love my children, being stuck inside with two very active, very bored little boys is going to drive me bonkers!  

I need to stay strong, though.  I have a PopSugar box waiting for me to open on Friday - It's my V-Day gift.  Yes, I know what's inside.  I'm just praying the, um... "large green item" (weird description is in case anyone on this thread got it and is staying spoiler free) stays intact and doesn't leak til then.  I also have an Ipsy box coming (peeked at my contents and VERY EXCITED as long as the color variations are good!) AND two Bichboxes (I activated an old account and cancelled/resigned up my main account during the 200-point glitch, and my box contents have not updated!  I'm going nuts!).  So, obviously, I don't NEED anything!

So, some coping mechanisms:  STAY OFF websites like Sephora and Ulta.  Really, stay off any online shopping sites.  Indulge shopping needs with buying boys' Valentines and helping them put cards together/addressed if school gets cancelled.  Look through craft stash and set up some activities, look through makeup/nail stash and set up some Mommy activities for when I can get them settled down with a blanket fort and a movie!  And continually remind myself that ever since my hubby and I both started being more careful about our money, our savings account has been much happier.  I can do it!

Latest posts

Back