For our Aussie friends: what is vegemite

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol You'll love thid Darla, an old commerical from the 1960's for Vegemite. They're singing the actualy vegemite song hehe

"We're happy little Vegemites

As bright as bright can be.

We all enjoy our Vegemite

For breakfast, lunch, and tea.

Our mother says we're growing

stronger every single week.

Because we love our Vegemite.

We all adore our Vegemite.

It puts a rose in every cheek!"

Ricci, it's a spread made from yeast exrtract.

It's the dead yeast from the bottom of the kettle left over from brewing beer, Ricci... A guess enough Victoria Bitters or Bulli Black and anything tastes great!!!
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by Karren_Hutton /img/forum/go_quote.gif It's the dead yeast from the bottom of the kettle left over from brewing beer, Ricci... A guess enough Victoria Bitters or Bulli Black and anything tastes great!!!
biggrin.gif
Are you serious??

ohh yeah!!! Was a by-product that someone found a way to turn it into a consumer good....

Ick!

Originally Posted by Karren_Hutton /img/forum/go_quote.gif ohh yeah!!! Was a by-product that someone found a way to turn it into a consumer good....

One man's (or woman) Ick is another man's (or woman's) delicacy!! hahaha

oh my !! when i read the title i was thinking of dynamite, lol. hmm, although i am tempted to taste, i'll probably pass on this one.

Originally Posted by Darla_G /img/forum/go_quote.gif you mean this one! DNT7uZf7lew I loved that video. How did Australia like it! It was played a ton on MTv when it was a good station. HAHA! Yep that's the one!

Ah I love that song. And I guess its their un-offical anthem

One day I want to try vegemite, and nutella(sp?)

One day I need to just suck it up and get on a Plane to Aussie too
frown.gif

I think this might work, (its my first YT post) its a commercial for Vegemite using the old Vegemite tune and footage from the original 1960s commercial integrated into the newer ad.

I think it's really interesting that they seem to be trying to market it to children as something healthy?

It doesn't seem like it would be healthy at all...

Originally Posted by StereoXGirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif I think it's really interesting that they seem to be trying to market it to children as something healthy?
It doesn't seem like it would be healthy at all...

They have been making it since 1923, I have been eating it since I was really young. Yes it is marketed directly at children, I guess its a taste you acquire at a young age.

Here are some of the nutritional info on Vegemite from the website:

Nutritional Facts

The original recipe of Vegemite as a concentrated yeast extract has remained virtually unchanged for 80 years.

Yeast is known as a natural source of the vitamin B complex which includes thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, folate, pantothenic acid, pyridoxine, biotin, p-amino benzoic acid and several other compounds.

Yeast extract is four or five times more concentrated than yeast, making it one of the richest known sources of the vitamin B group. In addition to being rich in vitamin B, yeast extract also contains other essential nutrients – all of which make Vegemite an excellent addition to the family diet.

A single serving of Vegemite (5g) on a slice of bread provides a large percentage of your daily vitamin B requirements:

% Proportion of Recommended Daily Intake (RDI) Per 5g Per 100g Thiamine 550 µg (50% RDI) 11.0 mg Niacin 2500 µg (25% RDI) 50.0 mg Riboflavin 430 µg (25% RDI) 8.6 mg Folate 100 µg (50% RDI)** 2000 µg **Recommended Dietary Intake for adults is 400µg or for women during pregnancy, 600µg (NHMRC 2006). It is important to maintain a varied diet

Thiamine(B1) plays an essential part in converting carbohydrates to energy, as well as being important for growth and normal functioning of the nervous system and heart.

Riboflavin (B2) is also important for the release of energy from foods, in particular protein metabolism. Riboflavin is essential for the development and repair of tissues, including the skin and eyes as well as being necessary for growth.

Niacin (B3) is necessary for normal energy metabolism and blood health.

Folate is essential for the formation of red blood cells and the production of enzymes and other body proteins. Folate also plays a vital role in the growth of a developing embryo. Research has revealed that the risk of having a baby with a neural tube defect can be reduced up to 70% if women increase their intake of folate prior to and during pregnancy.(NHMRC 2006)

Low in fat and kilojoules

Vegemite is virtually fat free and low in kilojoules, supplying only 40kj per teaspoon and less than 1g of fat per 100g.

Source

thank you for all the contributions to this thread, i never dreamed there was so much to it

Originally Posted by Bec688 /img/forum/go_quote.gif "We're happy little Vegemites

As bright as bright can be.

We all enjoy our Vegemite

For breakfast, lunch, and tea.

Our mother says we're growing

stronger every single week.

Because we love our Vegemite.

We all adore our Vegemite.

It puts a rose in every cheek!"

Ricci, it's a spread made from yeast exrtract.

You will also be interested to know that tea is the evening meal, what we usually call dinner ( or sometimes supper).
I tried both vegemite and marmite. just a little goes a long way.

Originally Posted by makeupwhore54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Ah I love that song. And I guess its their un-offical anthem
One day I want to try vegemite, and nutella(sp?)

One day I need to just suck it up and get on a Plane to Aussie too
frown.gif

You can get Nutella here in the states. It's at every grocery store. I usually get it at Wal-Mart.

Yuck? haha, yeast? good thing there are nutritional facts to it.

I don't think i want to try it now LOL.

I totally imagined it tasting more like a raspberry jam or strawberry or molasses, something like that,...not salty. I second Shaundra's comment
lol.gif

lol It's yummy! In fact, it's what I'm having on my toast this morning for breakie!

Shannonsilk - I call the evening meal dinner, older generations seem to call dinner "tea", either way, I understand what you're saying it say it
smile.gif

Darla - vegemite is serious business hahaha us Aussie are very proud of it!

Back