For those with Afro-(curly/coily)textured hair

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by yourleoqueen /img/forum/go_quote.gif You tex'd? Welcome back to the dark side. lol yes i did. i know, i'm a back slider! lol~ girl, once those roots start puffing up it's like my head is suffocating! i couldn't take it another minute. i was sitting on my sofa sunday and jumped up and announced i was going to the beauty supply! i must admit that i feel much better now! just call me darth monnie! lol~

Originally Posted by LOVECHIC /img/forum/go_quote.gif Just thought I'd start a thread to discuss our hair issues. What products are you Ladies currently using, what's your hair regimens, and do you have any hair woes???
current products: ( I rotate my products weekly)

Aveda Shampure shampoo

Neutrogena Anti-residue Shampoo

Cream of Nature Shampoo

Deep Brillance Shampoo

I use Dominican Conditioners

Moisturizing hair gel to smooth my hair

Paul Mitchells -The Detangeling conditioner

Neutrogena Triple moisture shining hair serum

My regimen is to wash/Deep condition my hair every 2 to 3 days.

I try to limit applying heat to my hair. I usually air dry or sit under my hooded dryer. I use my ceramic flat Iron about every 3 months, cause I never wear my hair down. It's too time-consuming.

My hair woes are that my hair is sooo fragile, so I really do have to treat it like an antique piece of lace at all times.

HAS ANYONE HERE TRIED "WEN" HAIR CARE PRODUCTS? THIS FOR SURE WILL IMPROVE YOUR HAIR FROM THINNING AS WELL AS FLAKES, I USE THAT CU***BER ALOE OF "WEN" AND IT HAS DRAMATICALLY IMPROVED MY HAIR, CHECK OUT THERE WEB SITES: Chaz Dean WEN ORDERING WEB SITE

Originally Posted by lavenderpink /img/forum/go_quote.gif HAS ANYONE HERE TRIED "WEN" HAIR CARE PRODUCTS? THIS FOR SURE WILL IMPROVE YOUR HAIR FROM THINNING AS WELL AS FLAKES, I USE THAT CU***BER ALOE OF "WEN" AND IT HAS DRAMATICALLY IMPROVED MY HAIR, CHECK OUT THERE WEB SITES: Chaz Dean WEN ORDERING WEB SITE i've never tried them, but i have seen posts and threads about them. the recs seem pretty good. i was very encouraged by the process he shares on his site. it's exactly the process i use currently, but his prices are a bit steep. it does seem like co washing is becoming quite popular.

Yup, I see that also, I feel co-washing is great for winter, and or when your hair needs more moisture, i only use wen like once a month due to the pricey prices he has on his products, but I love that cu***ber aloe one, and that aloe cu***ber styling creme, its not oily and not greasy in feel, so light, but Cant be buying his products all the time, I wish he had a sale on his hair products.

because i use a lot of conditioner i generally go with something that i can pick up in the drug store. i would like to splurge one day and try that sweet almond cleansing conditioner. does it do a good job of detangling? that's what i need most in a conditioner.

I bought a book called Curly Girl by Lorraine Massey to learn how to take care of my type of hair. I stopped relaxing my hair in the early '90's. I wash my hair regularly with conditioner. I use the conditioner just like shampoo. I rarely ever use shampoo because it dries my hair out so bad.

I never ever put grease in my hair or on my scalp. It attracts dust and dirt and makes my scalp itch and my hair look dirty. I thoroughly soak my hair with water, drench it with conditioner then use a very wide toothed comb to comb my hair. I never used a brush or comb my hair when its dry.

I put conditioner and gel in my hair to hold the curls. I dont buy expensive products. Sometimes I texturize my hair but that's really rare.

All types of people ask me how do I get my hair so curly but my hair is naturally curly but I didnt know that until I followed the advice in Curly Girl.

I am currently following an Ayurvedic regimen. I DC weekly with Miss Keys 10 en 1 which is my favorite.

I love love love coconut oil

I try to stay away from heat as much as I can.

I have curly hair and I colored it a lot. now I'm forced to stop because it was breaking. I don't use a special shampoo. the only thing I use is jojoba oil. I put it on my hair 1 hour before I wash it.

I'm having some hair issues! Well, I've been natural for about 8 months now and have had a very good experience so far. After a lot of trial and error, I think I've come up with a pretty good regimen for my curls. So, a few weeks ago I received a coupon for Ulta and decided to go ahead and splurge on the Sedu flat iron that I've wanted for a while, since it would be significantly discounted. I finally got around to using it last week and I LOVE how my straight hair looks and feels! I tell you, my hair never looked like this with a relaxer, probably because I finally learned how to care for my hair.

So, my problem now is that I'm becoming attached to the straight look again! After 10 years of having relaxed hair, I kinda got used to the overall look it gave me. And now with my hair straight again, I honestly feel like its more flattering. I'm not considering going back to the relaxer, but I am tempted to flat iron my frequently than I anticipated (like once every month or two). It's a lot more work than my wash-n-go's but I feel I look better. But I also know the damage that the heat can do
frown.gif

Hopefully this is just a phase. I really love my curls, but there's just something about my straight hair. Good thing about it is that luckily I can switch back and forth when I get bored!

Be careful of heat damage. Have you thought about getting a wig for when you are craving straightness? There are some gorgeous (and affordable) lace fronts out there.

I may have to start e-stalking you Alicia, I love your avi!

Originally Posted by yourleoqueen /img/forum/go_quote.gif Be careful of heat damage. Have you thought about getting a wig for when you are craving straightness? There are some gorgeous (and affordable) lace fronts out there.

I agree with you completely!!! I tell my natural and not natural friends that they need to be kind with the hair whenit comes to heat!

Originally Posted by yourleoqueen /img/forum/go_quote.gif Be careful of heat damage. Have you thought about getting a wig for when you are craving straightness? There are some gorgeous (and affordable) lace fronts out there.

Lol, thanks! And yeah, the heat damage is what has snapped me out of it. I have wanted a wig for quite some time, but have never gone through with it!

Back