For those with Afro-(curly/coily)textured hair

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by dainty39gm /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hi,I just recently purchased a big tub of coconut oil and was wondering how I can incorporate this oil more into my routine. How do you use it every other day? Do u apply it to your scalp, add it to your conditioners, or do u use it in everything? I'd really appreciate any advise you give me. Thanx

I have used my virgin coconut oil a few different ways:- On damp hair right after a wash to seal in the moisture

- On my water-misted hair with a plastic cap to "marinate" overnight (I just rinse out)

- Melted with shea butter and Vitamin E oil - cool and use as a scalp soother

- On my skin after dabbing with my bath towel out of the shower (very moisturized w/o feeling all greased up) - it smells so yummy too. Really good for elbows, knees, and feet.

I have used a couple of the cheaper coconut oils in the grocery store (LouAna and an East Indian brand). They're OK, but I find that the virgin coconut oil melts easier, smells best and doesn't feel waxy, so that's my personal preference. HTH....

Originally Posted by bebedee03 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I have used a couple of the cheaper coconut oils in the grocery store (LouAna and an East Indian brand). They're OK, but I find that the virgin coconut oil melts easier, smells best and doesn't feel waxy, so that's my personal preference. HTH.... I agree thier's nothing like the purest stuff, infact when I first tried the regular stuff from an Indian store I didn't like it, I'm so glad I found the Extra Virgin version.

Hello all. Thought I'd join in and add my regimen as well:

*Hot oil treatment with coconut oil every other week.

*Shampoo once a week with either NTM shampoo or Pantene Relaxed and Natural Breakage Defense Shampoo(also use Elasta QP Scalp Stimulating Shampoo when my scalp gets itchy)

*Apply a rinse every 2 weeks after shampooing

*Condition with NTM Daily Deep Conditioner or Pantene Relaxed and Natural Breakage Defense Conditoner

*Saturate damp hair with Dove Replenishing Leave In Mist, followed by Garnier Sleek and Shine Serum

*Blowdry on low heat(only my roots; let my ends airdry)

*Moistuized ends with NTM Silk Touch Leave In

*I also take Centrum and GNC ULTRANOURISHAIR vitamins.

*Relax every 10 weeks with Motions Herbal Realxer in Mild.

I am relaxed and my current length is Armpit Length, about 2-3 inches from Brastrap length. Hoping to get there by my birthday in August.

Boot Curl Creme + Denman D3=
inlove3.gif
inlove3.gif
inlove3.gif

Originally Posted by Ga_CUTIE0214 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hello all. Thought I'd join in and add my regimen as well:
*Hot oil treatment with coconut oil every other week.

*Shampoo once a week with either NTM shampoo or Pantene Relaxed and Natural Breakage Defense Shampoo(also use Elasta QP Scalp Stimulating Shampoo when my scalp gets itchy)

*Apply a rinse every 2 weeks after shampooing

*Condition with NTM Daily Deep Conditioner or Pantene Relaxed and Natural Breakage Defense Conditoner

*Saturate damp hair with Dove Replenishing Leave In Mist, followed by Garnier Sleek and Shine Serum

*Blowdry on low heat(only my roots; let my ends airdry)

*Moistuized ends with NTM Silk Touch Leave In

*I also take Centrum and GNC ULTRANOURISHAIR vitamins.

*Relax every 10 weeks with Motions Herbal Realxer in Mild.

I am relaxed and my current length is Armpit Length, about 2-3 inches from Brastrap length. Hoping to get there by my birthday in August.

I see that you use a lot of NTM products....how are they? I've heard some good things about them, and I'm looking into investing in their leave-in. Is it worth it, especially for air-drying?

Originally Posted by LipglossQueen /img/forum/go_quote.gif Mac-whore, which cholesterol did you use?
I only use a curl activator if I want to wear my hair curly...it's curly when wet but dries afro-ey so to keep the curls I would use activator.

what activator do u use .....
kopfkratz.gif
laughing.gif

miss jessies curley buttercreme or curley pudding it the buttercreme cost 58 and the curley pudding cost 38 you can buy it at rickeys or go to Miss Jessies - before/afters1 trust me this stuff is awsome and thats all I use aside from deep conditioners and relaxed natural pantene most important oil sheen. always use hood dryers never bloedryers except with diffusers

Originally Posted by dbrown82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I wash my hair every day with dominican hair products. My hair strand is fine, but its dense( makes it appear thick). I've been growing my hair out for a year now, and i'm just trying to get it back to my waist. Dominican hair products are my best friend, and denman brush.
Here are some pictures....

cannot front on dominican products I use those too it helps because my hair is not that tightly coiled its like krinkle-curly and the back is indian curly so it helps my hair alot.

Originally Posted by cinnamingirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif what activator do u use .....
kopfkratz.gif
laughing.gif
I think it was StaSofrFro but I hear that Care Free Curl Gold is good too, as long as you get the lotion in a bottle and not the spray you should be fine!

Worlds of Curls Gel Activator is good also. It has aloe vera gel which is a natural humectant. I add a little castor oil to the gel activator to seal in the moisture.

Alicia8406, personally,I love NTM products. The leave in has been a staple of mine for about a year. It hasn't failed me yet, so I'm sticking with it! I also love the shampoo, and adore the hair mask. My hair always comes out super soft and moisturized when I use these products. Hope that helps.......oh and I haven't airdried my whole head before so I'm not sure how it would work but I'm guessing it would work just as well because the directions on the bottle says to use it on wet hair. I just prefer it on dry hair.

Originally Posted by Ga_CUTIE0214 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Alicia8406, personally,I love NTM products. The leave in has been a staple of mine for about a year. It hasn't failed me yet, so I'm sticking with it! I also love the shampoo, and adore the hair mask. My hair always comes out super soft and moisturized when I use these products. Hope that helps.......oh and I haven't airdried my whole head before so I'm not sure how it would work but I'm guessing it would work just as well because the directions on the bottle says to use it on wet hair. I just prefer it on dry hair. Cool, thanks! The line is on sale at Walgreens this week, I think I'll go ahead and try some!

i'm currently using dark and lovely naturally chamomille moisturizer and ouidad moisture gel. my hair feels really soft and managable, but not as shiney as is would like. any suggestions? btw, i stopped using my hair oil because it was making my scalp itchy. i guess the moisturizer should be enough.

i just wash and condition with tresemme every day...my hair is curly but fine at the same time..if ur really curious there is a pic in my prof lol!

Originally Posted by xEdenx /img/forum/go_quote.gif i just wash and condition with tresemme every day...my hair is curly but fine at the same time..if ur really curious there is a pic in my prof lol! my hair is very similar to yours, just a bit thicker. i condition daily with pantene relaxed and natural for women of color. i did color my hair to cover some of the gray that's taking over and it seems much shinier. i used a rinse, clairol natural instincts in rosewood.

Originally Posted by bebedee03 /img/forum/go_quote.gif No problem girl.....I didn't mention in my last post that I finally did the "big chop" on December 2 - woo hoo!!! Love it and wish I'd done it sooner.

Here are my pics:

Public Home | Bebedee03 | Fotki.com

Password: mynaps#1

I know it's been a minute, but I have several updates. No password is required anymore. My hair has grown like a weed this year. I also have color (Matrix's 5CG - Copper Gold)
Tomorrow is my first "nappy-versary"
rockwoot.gif
, so in a little while I'll post more pics. I
inlove.gif
my hurr!!!!!!

i always keep my hair braided lol it is too much of a hassle when it's out...between breakage and styling i've decided that braiding it and having a weave is the way to go

when i do take my hair out of the braids it's to perm it (since my hair is currently permed) and to deep condition it

and i use olive oil on my scalp periodically and trim my hair every 6 months or so

Products:

CON shampoo

ORS Hair Mayo

ORS Hair Replenishing Conditioner

ORS Aloe Shampoo

ORS Olive Oil Shampoo

V05 conditioner

Garnier Fructis Sleek and shine conditioner

coconut oil, olive oil & castor oil mixed

Optimum Hi Protech Reconstructor

Infusium leave-in

Regime:

Wash weekly with CON shampoo and deep condition with ORS Hair Mayo and apply Infusium leave-in to wet hair

Wash once or twice during the week with V05 conditioner or Garnier Fructis conditioner

Moisturize my hair on days I was with ORS Olive Oil moisturizer and apply a light coating of my oil mixture over it

Clarify once per month with ORS Aloe Shampoo and deep condition with ORS Replenshing conditioner

Do a protein reconstrutor once every 6-8 weeks

My only hair issue is that I have thin hair. I'm learning to come to terms with it though.

Originally Posted by monniej /img/forum/go_quote.gif out - pantene shampoo for wocin - dark & lovely naturally peppermint and only a tiny bit! (pretty much no poo process for me now days!)

out - pantene conditioner for woc

in - herbal essences rose hips and jojoba conditioner

out - dark and lovely honey hairdress. broke me out! way too oily!

in - big bad d's glass curling creme

john frieda products are now used for spot treatments, not on my entire head (it was contributing to my product overload!).

ok, so i tried this regime for two weeks or so, and it didn't really give my the results i wanted. until i find something amazing i going old school!
shampoo - dark & lovely naturally peppermint

conditioner - pantene prov woc/herbal essense rose hips & jojoba/ojon

deep conditioning - queen helene cholesterol

moisturizer - dark & lovely naturally chamomile

frizz control - john frieda silicone gel & secret weapon

Hi
hand.gif
ladies I haven't been on here for a long time! I just wanted to jump in and join the conversation. I am now completely natural. I attempted to go natural 3 times and because I just didn't know how to deal with my hair I gave up and put a relaxer back into my hair. I grew it out to brastrap length and then allowed my friend-who just graduated from cosmo. school- to do it. The first touch up she used so much heat my hair broke severly, then the second touch up my hair came out in clumps
icon_eek.gif
while she was washing it out. Thank God my hair and scalp weren't permanently damaged! So I decided to go natural, I researched the web and and books and got some what comfortable with a regimen. I laugh because I use to get murdered for getting my hair wet as a child and low and behold that is the thing my hair loves.... water...lots of it! Now I'm dealing with the when are you going to press it...blah blah blah. I feel so good just letting it do its own thing. I get so many complements and everyone likes it-even though they want to know when am I going to press it! My goal is to get to know my hair and to make it as healthy as possible.

I can't wait to have a big puff!
yess.gif

I have type 4a hair with a bit of 4b and about five or more oddly placed 3c lol!

Currently my hair likes Panteen hydra curls after co washing with it I use Paul Mitchell leave in, spray 4 or 5 pumps of scurl no drip to my hand and the Fantasia IC gel the dark blue one-when I do a wash and go. And if I remembr I oil with castor oil or Wild Growth oil.

When I just goin' with the fro...I spray water all over it and then about 3 pumps to my hand of scurl no drip, a dab or so of proclaim activator gel...and fluff and but a scarf headband on. It makes a different culy look than my wash and go...

Back