For those with Afro-(curly/coily)textured hair

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by speerrituall1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif During winter months I do a heavy conditioner with Natural Oaisis Cream Conditioner bi-weekly. It's a deep herbal product designed to balance moisture in ethnic hair. No petro's or synthetics. In warm months I rotate between olive oil hot oil treatments, and 100% raw shea butter. I do not use anything with silicone. It can stop your hair from absorbing moisture, which leads to breakage. Remember our hair craves moisture! thanks for the recs! i'm still using big bad d's stretch as a leave-in and deep treatment. you are so right about the moisture issue, especially this time of year! i can't stop using the cones, though. my hair loves that stuff!

That product sounds good speerrituall1, don't they also make some good oils and greases...I'm off to google them :)

ladies, HELP! i going through a really rough patch with my hair right now. i want to texturize it so badly! my roots are getting pretty tight, but not what i'd call unmanagable, just puffy! lmao~ i just wanted to vent a little bit! i have absolutely no intention of putting another perm in my hair! any suggestions of ways to work through this stage? i'm open!

I went through a "I am not going to relax my hair stage", mine didnt go that long, but Silk Elements has a wonderful texturizer. They have the gel also. Good luck!

i don't know if anyone's asked or mentioned this but does anyone use clarifying shampoo? and if you do what brand and how often?

Thanks and sorry if you guys already talked about this.

I use a clarifying shampoo made by Suave, I tend to use it as needed...sometimes you can just tell your hair needs a thorough clean. I schedule it for every 8 weeks, but you can do it more info if needed, I usally lather once or twice with a a clarifying shampoo and then follow up with a moisturising shampoo. HTH!

Originally Posted by monniej /img/forum/go_quote.gif ladies, HELP! i going through a really rough patch with my hair right now. i want to texturize it so badly! my roots are getting pretty tight, but not what i'd call unmanagable, just puffy! lmao~ i just wanted to vent a little bit! i have absolutely no intention of putting another perm in my hair! any suggestions of ways to work through this stage? i'm open! Noooo! Don't do it
lol.gif
It sounds like you're really struggling with the two textures. That was the worst part trying to be chemical free. Before I got frustrated and cut all of the mess off, I washed and braided my hair while it was wet. After it dried I would take the braids out and voila! Braiding it helped the two textures meld into each other and it also got rid of the puffiness you're talking about. You don't have to braid while wet but I just like doing it that way lol.

Originally Posted by SumtingSweet /img/forum/go_quote.gif Noooo! Don't do it
lol.gif
It sounds like you're really struggling with the two textures. That was the worst part trying to be chemical free. Before I got frustrated and cut all of the mess off, I washed and braided my hair while it was wet. After it dried I would take the braids out and voila! Braiding it helped the two textures meld into each other and it also got rid of the puffiness you're talking about. You don't have to braid while wet but I just like doing it that way lol. it's so funny that you bring up braiding, because that's when my hair feels the best! just some little girl plats like mama used to do! lmao~ i wish i could go out into the world just like that. my hair loves it! btw, braiding while wet is the only way to go! i find that it's also the best way to clip my ends. thanks so much for the pep talk! i won't go back...i won't go back...i won't go back! lmao~

well, in light of my recent melt down i decided to be even more brave and go without my trusty cones today! i really need to make myself be ok with the true texture of my hair without the texturizer. the silicone gel i use was making my hair feel sleek and somewhat stiff on the ends, but not much help on the roots. i must say that i love my hair today! soft and touchable with a lot of freedom and movement! i think i could really get use to this and love it! "cones? i don't need no stinking cones!" lmao~

so, i'm posting my regime for today. with me, who knows? i could change it all tomorrow!

rinse and condition with pantene pro v for women of color

pat excess water from hair

big bad d's stretch cream as a leave in

naturally honey hairdress

naturally chamomile moisturizer

ouidad moisture gel

i can't believe how much i love my hair with the silicone gel! i must admit to my natural mentors that you were 100% correct! cones are bad! i've started to notice that i'm shedding a lot less hair and my hair is shiner and more touchable with the cones! thanks so much speerrituall1 and sumtingsweet for you suggestions. i must admit that this new regime is making the decision not to texturize much easier! holla back, ladies!

Originally Posted by monniej /img/forum/go_quote.gif i can't believe how much i love my hair without the silicone gel! i must admit to my natural mentors that you were 100% correct! cones are bad! i've started to notice that i'm shedding a lot less hair and my hair is shiner and more touchable without the cones! thanks so much speerrituall1 and sumtingsweet for you suggestions. i must admit that this new regime is making the decision not to texturize much easier! holla back, ladies! sorry! i had to edit my post. i meant "without" cones!

Hey Ladies...I'm a transitioner of a few months now and I can't seem to find a regimen that works for my hair texture. I guess you could call me a 4b. My hair is so dry and is shedding a lot ...what am i doing wrong?

I wash & condition my hair 1x a week with Pantene Pro V - Women Of Color Line

I dont oil my scalp but i put either Africa's Best Herbal Oil, Elasta QP Recovery or BB Moisturizing Growth Lotion on my hair everyday (well almost everyday)

I dont use heat much at all (I press hair 1x a month)

Is it that I don't drink enough water? Is it that I may have hard water? What are some likely reasons?

Hi detroitdiva,

My natural hair tends to be on the dry side as well, so I do regular conditioner washes with conditioners that don't contain any "cones", like Suave Naturals and VO5, usually daily unless my hair is in a protective style. I shampoo 2x a month with Creme of Nature Moisturizing Detangling Shampoo, which doesn't contain any harsh sulfates that tend to strip the hair. My hair has been heavenly since then.

I used to use BB Moisturizing Growth Lotion, but they recently changed the formula or something, because all of the stores that carry it now have one with mineral oil in their formulation. Mineral oil seals everything in as well as out, so adequate moisture isn't able to get into your hair shaft and leads to dryness. Over the past few weeks, I have been using a mixture of castor oil (CHEAP!) with a little bit of Hot 6 or Ginseng Miracle oil (for a better scent than the castor!) on my sopping wet hair right out of the shower. My hair stays moisturized all day long. Sometimes I add a little Oyin Shine & Define Serum to the oil because it adds some shine and smells great. If you use any of these products, be sure to clarify 1-2x a month. I use 1 tbsp baking soda in 2 c warm water and pour it over my hair in the shower, wash my body then rinse my hair thoroughly before putting in my conditioner.

The only heat that I put on my hair is low-heat hair from my blow dryer to diffuse some of the excess moisture that comes from styling the hair soaking wet. 3-5 minutes, tops.

Drinking water, eating right and maybe even adding a multivitamin to your diet is important also. Hope this helps......

Originally Posted by speerrituall1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Your hair looks great, very healthy! You are gonna luv the things that you can do with natural hair. Many of my friends are envious but don't have the nerve to try it. Two sites that may interest you:

naani.com - A New Era in African Hair

Miss Jessie's

It's been a while since I've been on the board, so I'm just seeing this...thanks so much!!! Yes, I have changed up the routine a little bit....see my post above. I've alos found that I can use the water pressure from my showerhead to do a lot of the detangling for me, so life is pretty good right now
rockwoot.gif
laughing.gif

I LOOOOVE the naani.com site. I want to try a couple of their products, but I'm trying not to spend money right now. My castor oil and shealoe butter do me just fine and work with my budget!

ladies, i'm a back slider! i couldn't take it any longer and broke down this weekend! i put in a texturizer and my hair screamed "hallelujah"! the texture had become pretty unmanagable and i couldn't stop the shedding. i went for close to a year without one, so i don't feel too bad. i have to admit that my hair seems much happier now and i have alot less hair in my drain everyday!

Originally Posted by monniej /img/forum/go_quote.gif ladies, i'm a back slider! i couldn't take it any longer and broke down this weekend! i put in a texturizer and my hair screamed "hallelujah"! the texture had become pretty unmanagable and i couldn't stop the shedding. i went for close to a year without one, so i don't feel too bad. i have to admit that my hair seems much happier now and i have alot less hair in my drain everyday! I wish I could go a year. I dont have the spine for it

Originally Posted by detroitdiva /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hey Ladies...I'm a transitioner of a few months now and I can't seem to find a regimen that works for my hair texture. I guess you could call me a 4b. My hair is so dry and is shedding a lot ...what am i doing wrong?
I wash & condition my hair 1x a week with Pantene Pro V - Women Of Color Line

I dont oil my scalp but i put either Africa's Best Herbal Oil, Elasta QP Recovery or BB Moisturizing Growth Lotion on my hair everyday (well almost everyday)

I dont use heat much at all (I press hair 1x a month)

Is it that I don't drink enough water? Is it that I may have hard water? What are some likely reasons?

i feel your pain, my sister! maybe conditioning more often would help some. i like queen helene cholestorol conditioner and the old fashion heat cap! i also like taking gnc hair, skin and nail supplements.

Originally Posted by monniej /img/forum/go_quote.gif ladies, HELP! i going through a really rough patch with my hair right now. i want to texturize it so badly! my roots are getting pretty tight, but not what i'd call unmanagable, just puffy! lmao~ i just wanted to vent a little bit! i have absolutely no intention of putting another perm in my hair! any suggestions of ways to work through this stage? i'm open! Try using castor oil on the damp hair. It will make it softer and more managable. Take it easy, and if you use too much, just wash it out and start over or better yet give it a day or two and your hair will absorb it all.

Co-sign on the castor oil, that's like a wonder oil, sometimes I consider texturing not all my hair just like the back but I haven't given in yet because I know that might mean tweaking my regime slightly and I can't be bothered!

Originally Posted by Oh_no_not_this_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif I use suave and apply coconut oil every other day Hi,I just recently purchased a big tub of coconut oil and was wondering how I can incorporate this oil more into my routine. How do you use it every other day? Do u apply it to your scalp, add it to your conditioners, or do u use it in everything? I'd really appreciate any advise you give me. Thanx

Originally Posted by dainty39gm /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hi,I just recently purchased a big tub of coconut oil and was wondering how I can incorporate this oil more into my routine. How do you use it every other day? Do u apply it to your scalp, add it to your conditioners, or do u use it in everything? I'd really appreciate any advise you give me. Thanx

I just rediscovered this thread and wanted to add my regimen!
I've been transitioning to natural since July 2006 when I cut my color damaged armpit length hair to about ear length. I have super thick 3b hair that is about shoulder length now, so I've been trying to perfect a hair care method that allows me to control this transitioning mane!

So far, this is what I've been doing:

• Pre-poo once weekly the night before wash day. I use a mixture of Suave Milk & Honey conditioner, EVOO, Amla Oil, and Coconut Oil.
  • After leaving the pre-poo in over night, I wash with Optimum Super Protecting Shampoo.
  • I deep condition with a mixture of Dove Repairing Treatment Therapy and ApHogee Intensive Keratin Reconstructor.
  • I leave the conditioner in under a plastic cap for at least 2 hours. When I rinse it out, this is the only time I comb my hair, which is only to detangle my curls under running water. I use a wide tooth shower comb.
  • I squeeze dry and don't towel dry (my remaining relaxed ends are brittle, so I cut back on the extra manipulation).
  • In sections, I spray on Hawaiian Silky Miracle Worker 14 in 1 Moisturizer and seal in with some Wild Growth Oil. I rub a little more coconut oil on my ends to make them really smooth.
  • I use a protective style and let my hair airdry (no more blow-drying). I've done everything from twistouts, plaits, and just plain slicking it back and drying in a tucked under bun. At the moment, I'm doing bantu knots, so hopefully they'll turn out okay.
I'm really loving my natural hair, even though it can be a little hard to manage at times. I'm going to start implementing a few new products into the mix, including Miss Key 10 en 1 and Silicon Mix as a deep conditioner (I'm running out of my Dove) and Star Lacio Lacio as a leave-in (the only piece missing from the mix). I'm also going to invest in a really nice FHI flat iron for the days that I want to go straight. I'm really trying to get my hair as healthy as possible and also get my length back (I'm shooting for brastrap to midback in 2008)!
rockwoot.gif

Originally Posted by dainty39gm /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hi,I just recently purchased a big tub of coconut oil and was wondering how I can incorporate this oil more into my routine. How do you use it every other day? Do u apply it to your scalp, add it to your conditioners, or do u use it in everything? I'd really appreciate any advise you give me. Thanx

When I use coconut oil I just use it in my hair daily or on damp hair, I guess you could say I use it on my scalp (I use Vatika oil which is a coconut based oil) but I've never tried it mixed with a conditioner.

Latest posts

Back