For those with Afro-(curly/coily)textured hair

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by LipglossQueen /img/forum/go_quote.gif Profectiv makes good products the only thing that puts me off is the size of the products. What products from the line are you using? I really like the Breakfree moisturizer.

I only used the Healthy Ends, and another a product but I can't remember the Healhty Ends was really good though.

Hey ladies!

My hair has been extra dry lately and I suspect it''s because of the conditioner I've been using. Soooo I took the plunge and ordered a gallon of Jessicurl's Too Shea Extra Moisturizing conditioner...this stuff is amazing and silcone free. It cost me $112 but the conditioner is well worth the price. If anyone's having moisture issues, they should def try this stuff out.

Anyone else like her products?

Too Shea! Extra Moisturizing Conditioner-Cleansing and Conditioning

I cannot wait for this conditioner to get here! Sheesh! In the meantime I've been adding olive oil or Africa's Best Herbal Oil to whatever conditioner I'm using for the day. It really helps with detangling my hair and softening.

When my order is finally shipped I'll do a deeeep treatment, throw in some box braids, and leave my hair be for a month and a half.

It's official I'm putting my hair in extensions, sort of micro twists but not THAT small; it's sad to say but I can't really handle my natural hair it's so thick- I mean I can twist it but that's time consuming and get's boring. I'm so used to wearing my hair pressed 24/7 and being able to style my hair in a bun in less than 10 secs!

Originally Posted by LipglossQueen /img/forum/go_quote.gif It's official I'm putting my hair in extensions, sort of micro twists but not THAT small; it's sad to say but I can't really handle my natural hair it's so thick- I mean I can twist it but that's time consuming and get's boring. I'm so used to wearing my hair pressed 24/7 and being able to style my hair in a bun in less than 10 secs! I know what you mean! My hair is way shorter than yours (5-6ins) but suuuper thick. If you're ever in need of styling options you could alway check out the forums on Nappturality.com. I got lots and lots of help from the ladies on the forum.

I Use A Few Natural Products(shea Oil Etc) And Store Bought Conditioners(aussie And Creme Of Nature Best Hair Detanglers Ever) , And Silicone Based Products That Have Thermal Protection For Hair Straightening.

Originally Posted by tfigueroa /img/forum/go_quote.gif I Use A Few Natural Products(shea Oil Etc) And Store Bought Conditioners(aussie And Creme Of Nature Best Hair Detanglers Ever) , And Silicone Based Products That Have Thermal Protection For Hair Straightening. I wish I could use products with cones...I would save a mega load of money. unfortunately my hair just can't take it
frown.gif

Hi! I'm new to the Hair Forum. At this time, I'm confused, or my very fine hair is rather, as to what products currently aren't or are working.

-Optimum Oil Therapy line (Walgreens). My hair seemed to love these products at first. However, a few weeks later, I found myself with extremely dry hair every morning. So, I would apply more product but it wouldn't last the entire day. So, it's time to toss these.

-Mizani Thermasmooth Shampoo, Conditioner, Moisturizer (Ulta). I'm not seeing any difference in my hair. I also have to use a lot more shampoo to get a nice lather. I'm not too fond of the fragrance either. Thankfully I only bought the sample sizes from Ulta.

-Fantasia Color Glosser for Reds (Sally's). Garbage.

-Fekkai Olive Oil Glossing Line (Sephora). I think my hair likes this stuff especially the Glossing Creme. My hair is very soft after using these.

-ApHOGEE Moisturizing Oil Sheen Spray (local beauty house) I like this a lot! I don't have to use very much and the shine lasts a long time. My hair isn't weighed down or greasy either.

-Hollywood Beauty Carrot Creme (Walgreens). I had no choice but to use what my aunt had laying around the bathroom. I was traveling and didn't bring any hair products with me because of all the regulations. My hair LOVED this stuff. The creme was absorbed instantly and left each strand very soft. My hair was much easier to curl, too. This $3 product didn't leave my hair feeling greasy either. My hair stayed moisturized for about two or three days before I had to reapply. Since I've just started using this, it's too early to tell if my hair likes the creme because it's new. I hope that I don't have the same experience with this creme as the Optimum line.

My hair & skin were healthiest when I followed a daily regime that I saw on another site. I should probably go back to it even though it was time consuming. My vitamin intake was biotin, 1 tbsp of EFA oil, and a multi-vitamin. For the first time in my life, my hair grew considerably (bra strap length) and very healthy. I went on a weird diet and my hair started falling out badly. I cut it all off and got a pixie cut. So, I'm starting all over again.

I also use Aussie Shampoo, Aussie Deeeep conditioner, ORS Olive Oil moisturizer regularly in the past, and a bunch of other stuff. I have a Solia flat iron. I also use an ion blow dryer. I wrap my hair every night and tie it with a satin scarf. I also sleep on a satin pillowcase. Anything else breaks my hair.

I've used Pantene products and they completed stripped my hair.

Garnier Fructis line: hated it. My hair felt like straw just from the shampoo.

Originally Posted by Shannon101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Bad Bad: Pantene shampoo oh my goodness! i love pantene shampoo! i use the one for women of color, along with the conditioner. the shampoo leaves my hair clean, but not overly stripped. the conditioner is a great detangler. i use a tiny bit as a leave-in every other day to work through any tangles. works like a dream for me!
i've decided to give up my ouidad moisture gel. just not performing like i'd like for the price. i paid $77 for 64oz bottle. it worked pretty well at first, but after a while it dryed leaving my hair hard to the touch. not what i was looking for at all. the weird thing is it didn't do this when i first started using it. i had been eyeing dark and lovely naturally honey wave glaze to use as a softner and glossifier. i like it so far and it's much less expensive than the ouidad. ($6 at cvs, riteaid, walgreens & the local beauty supply!).

i have experienced some shedding since i decided not to touch up my texturizer (5 months and counting), but not bad enough to make me worry at this time. i guess my big bad d's stretch is doing the job. i've been using it as a deep conditioner weekly and a leave in every other day. the texturizer was making my hair way to straight as it gets longer.

this is a total trip, ladies. i was taking my gnc hair, skin and nail formula and it made my facial hair grow faster, too! i had to stop using it because it was giving my ingrown hairs on my chin! painful and just plan ugly! maybe i'll just get a good multi-vitamin and call it a day. it's not all bad, though! i'm happier with my hair now than i've been in a while, so that's a very good thing!

thanks for all the great tips and products, ladies! keep them coming! now i'm going to check out the profectiv products!

anyone have tips or recs for hair color?

Originally Posted by monniej /img/forum/go_quote.gif oh my goodness! i love pantene shampoo! i use the one for women of color, along with the conditioner. the shampoo leaves my hair clean, but not overly stripped. the conditioner is a great detangler. i use a tiny bit as a leave-in every other day to work through any tangles. works like a dream for me!
i've decided to give up my ouidad moisture gel. just not performing like i'd like for the price. i paid $77 for 64oz bottle. it worked pretty well at first, but after a while it dryed leaving my hair hard to the touch. not what i was looking for at all. the weird thing is it didn't do this when i first started using it. i had been eyeing dark and lovely naturally honey wave glaze to use as a softner and glossifier. i like it so far and it's much less expensive than the ouidad. ($6 at cvs, riteaid, walgreens & the local beauty supply!).

i have experienced some shedding since i decided not to touch up my texturizer (5 months and counting), but not bad enough to make me worry at this time. i guess my big bad d's stretch is doing the job. i've been using it as a deep conditioner weekly and a leave in every other day. the texturizer was making my hair way to straight as it gets longer.

this is a total trip, ladies. i was taking my gnc hair, skin and nail formula and it made my facial hair grow faster, too! i had to stop using it because it was giving my ingrown hairs on my chin! painful and just plan ugly! maybe i'll just get a good multi-vitamin and call it a day. it's not all bad, though! i'm happier with my hair now than i've been in a while, so that's a very good thing!

thanks for all the great tips and products, ladies! keep them coming! now i'm going to check out the profectiv products!

anyone have tips or recs for hair color?

My stylist uses lines such as Sebastians, Mizani, and Design Essentials.
brsh.gif

New find: ORS Olive Oil Creme. I'v eused most of the ORS products already except this baby and I love it, much better than the Carrot Oil, ALTHOUGH the Carrot Oil does a very good job of curbing any breakage.

Originally Posted by speerrituall1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I recommend Bigen. It's vegetable henna and very gentle(no peroxide or alcohol). You can find it in many stores, CVS, Sallys, Walgreens etc. Folica.com Product Reviews

http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/1410/199200

Black Hair Care---Hair Color Care

i've seen this at my local beauty supply and have always been curious. now i have a reason to check it out! thanks for the rec, caumetia! i'll be picking it up this weekend! my grey is totally taking over! lol~

Originally Posted by monniej /img/forum/go_quote.gif i've seen this at my local beauty supply and have always been curious. now i have a reason to check it out! thanks for the rec, caumetia! i'll be picking it up this weekend! my grey is totally taking over! lol~ Since this will be your first application, you may need more than one box. It's a tiny bottle of product that expands and thickens when water is added. It will have a sort of cornstarch water consistency.
I use #48 to touch up my hairline. I cannot stand that "grey around the gills" look. Other than that, I have a small amount of grey here and there throughout my hair. It's so thick that it's quite hard to see. I'd reccommend that you choose a color that's slightly lighter than you what desire. When first applied, it will appear darker.

Originally Posted by speerrituall1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Since this will be your first application, you may need more than one box. It's a tiny bottle of product that expands and thickens when water is added. It will have a sort of cornstarch water consistency.
I use #48 to touch up my hairline. I cannot stand that "grey around the gills" look. Other than that, I have a small amount of grey here and there throughout my hair. It's so thick that it's quite hard to see. I'd reccommend that you choose a color that's slightly lighter than you what desire. When first applied, it will appear darker.

i understand that this is a permanent color and can be very drying to the hair. how do you combat this problem? fyi ~ i had been using the clairol natural instincts semi permanent color in rosewood. i love the color, but it doesn't last very long because i wash my hair quite often. i did try a permanent color once and it made my hair feel like straw! i'm totally open to all suggestions! thanks!

Originally Posted by monniej /img/forum/go_quote.gif i understand that this is a permanent color and can be very drying to the hair. how do you combat this problem? fyi ~ i had been using the clairol natural instincts semi permanent color in rosewood. i love the color, but it doesn't last very long because i wash my hair quite often. i did try a permanent color once and it made my hair feel like straw! i'm totally open to all suggestions! thanks! During winter months I do a heavy conditioner with Natural Oaisis Cream Conditioner bi-weekly. It's an herbal product designed to balance moisture in ethnic hair. No petro's or synthetics. In warm months I rotate between olive oil hot oil treatments, and 100% raw shea butter. I do not use anything with silicone. It can stop your hair from absorbing moisture, which leads to breakage. Remember our hair craves moisture!

Latest posts

Back