Fortune Cookie Soap Box: Summer Soap Box 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They just posted on Facebook that they'd have some of the previous 2 boxes available tonight! I REALLY want that Nightmare Before Christmas box, but I'm not sure I'd like all of the scents. Hmmm...
OMG I'm totally going to be trying to order both of these during spin class tonight!

they just posted this on Facebook!

1509309_10152336552281702_5984928955337192262_n.jpg

Thanks so much for posting @@AshJs3, I wanted the spring box so bad and missed it by like a day. I got one of the extra ones and ordered it right from my spin bike in the middle of class haha looks like they're both sold out now so I guess sometimes being *that* weirdo pays off :-D

I love FCS, but one thing I do not like that sub boxes do - is that they mail out  first to their "PR" folks (as the comment with that pic stated).  I don't get that at all.   So, my money is worth less than their sanctioned beauty bloggers?  Who probably get the box for free?

I wanted that Nightmare one but it sold out right before my very eyes!

Same.  I went right at the launch and it was sold out as I was checking out. It was all pretty immediate and disappointing. Ah well.  Better for my wallet. 
Ditto. I know I didn't need it, but I really wanted one. They sold out incredibly fast!

I love FCS, but one thing I do not like that sub boxes do - is that they mail out  first to their "PR" folks (as the comment with that pic stated).  I don't get that at all.   So, my money is worth less than their sanctioned beauty bloggers?  Who probably get the box for free?
I'm a beauty blogger, and I review the FCS boxes but I'm not one of their "PR people" or anything.  I'm totally fine with their affiliates getting their boxes before I do. I know with other companies that I AM affiliated with, I always wish they'd send out their affiliates boxes first so we can actually review them before the box is already old news. If my readers have all already gotten their boxes a week before me, not many people are going to read my review when I get mine. IDK if that makes sense, but yea...just explaining why they might do that from a blogger perspective. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm a beauty blogger, and I review the FCS boxes but I'm not one of their "PR people" or anything.  I'm totally fine with their affiliates getting their boxes before I do. I know with other companies that I AM affiliated with, I always wish they'd send out their affiliates boxes first so we can actually review them before the box is already old news. If my readers have all already gotten their boxes a week before me, not many people are going to read my review when I get mine. IDK if that makes sense, but yea...just explaining why they might do that from a blogger perspective. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I am a beauty blogger too who reviews FCS as well - but the problem is that my box never gets to me in a timely manner.  Since so many do blog about their boxes, it would be nice if they were sent out at the same time.

I know why they do it, but from my understanding, the PR/affiliates don't pay for their stuff and yet get it way before the paying customers.  Same problem - I would love to have my review up earlier as well, or as you stated, not many people are going to read my reviews too

They make it difficult for new bloggers to break into the scene and get a following.  As there are so many beauty bloggers out there, I am not sure why established companies still offer or continue a PR/affiliate program.   I understand it if it is a new company trying to break into the scene - that is different.  There are other ways to give perks to PR/affiliates - such as giving them items outside of the monthly boxes - I've read about PR/affiliates getting items that aren't affiliated with boxes, so that is one way for that relationship to continue.  It just seems that the monthly boxes are popular with bloggers and they should be sent at the same time - just my 2 cents. 

BTW - some of these affiliates/PR people just dump a picture, state they love it, and don't even swatch it.  WTH?  I mean, as crappy as my pics are, I have learned how to swatch my products and try to give a nice description of it when I unbox it.  Sometimes, if it is a product that wows me, I will do a follow up on it.

I mean, it won't ever stop me from blogging my boxes and finds - I like doing it.  But it difficult to get new readers when they do it this way.   

I know it sounds like sour grapes - lol - but I would love to review my stuff  before it is old news too!!  

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a beauty blogger too who reviews FCS as well - but the problem is that my box never gets to me in a timely manner.  Since so many do blog about their boxes, it would be nice if they were sent out at the same time.

I know why they do it, but from my understanding, the PR/affiliates don't pay for their stuff and yet get it way before the paying customers.  Same problem - I would love to have my review up earlier as well, or as you stated, not many people are going to read my reviews too

They make it difficult for new bloggers to break into the scene and get a following.  As there are so many beauty bloggers out there, I am not sure why established companies still offer or continue a PR/affiliate program.   I understand it if it is a new company trying to break into the scene - that is different.  There are other ways to give perks to PR/affiliates - such as giving them items outside of the monthly boxes - I've read about PR/affiliates getting items that aren't affiliated with boxes, so that is one way for that relationship to continue.  It just seems that the monthly boxes are popular with bloggers and they should be sent at the same time - just my 2 cents. 

BTW - some of these affiliates/PR people just dump a picture, state they love it, and don't even swatch it.  WTH?  I mean, as crappy as my pics are, I have learned how to swatch my products and try to give a nice description of it when I unbox it.  Sometimes, if it is a product that wows me, I will do a follow up on it.

I mean, it won't ever stop me from blogging my boxes and finds - I like doing it.  But it difficult to get new readers when they do it this way.   

I know it sounds like sour grapes - lol - but I would love to review my stuff  before it is old news too!!  
No your argument is totally valid- although you shouldn't underestimate certain companies and their desire to work with smaller blogs. When I first started, I just blogged about whatever I possibly could. Once I had a small readership and a good chunk of posts, I made a system for contacting companies that included a semi-form letter that explained why I thought their company would be a good fit for my blog etc, as well as my numbers: demographic, views, and a few other things. Even though I only had a small following, there were a few companies that were still interested in working with me. Because of those companies I was able to continue to grow my readership, and keep the ball rolling with more companies that would have said no to me before, or companies would start to reach out to me.

That's been my experience, anyway. As for FCS, they're a small company, so I can see them wanting to get their boxes to their chosen affiliates, or people they think are going to give them the most buzz/sales etc. Granted it always bothers me when companies have affiliates that just don't care, especially when I know a lot of smaller blogs that would take a lot of time and care in doing a solid review. There are some larger blogs that just take pictures of a box's contents and then say "the value of this box was $XX, What did you think of this month?" And rather than just calling it an "unboxing" they call it a review. <_<   I've seen it on youtube as well. FCS affiliates in particular will have their boxes early, and STILL wait over a month to do a review.

I already got a tracking number for my bonus spring box, that was fast! I guess I'll be getting that before the summer one :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

So can anyone with better eyes than me read anything from the spoiler pic on instagram?  Especially that little bonus bottle?

I got my Tree of Life collection plus the Golden Boy sugar cube bath bombs yesterday. It got here so much faster than so many of the other orders I'm waiting on right now! It also came with a little powder baggy sample of Native Nectar bath bomb. The cute little leaves broke off the fortune cookie soap but oh well!

I have to get my hands on the polyjuice potion products - I know what I will use the discount for...lol

when do they have that discount (percentage) party? 
That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw that post on Facebook! I still have my coupon from the Spring box to use at some point too (unless they expire? I hope not!)

I haven't even smelled the polyjuice yet, but I have to have it!

That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw that post on Facebook! I still have my coupon from the Spring box to use at some point too (unless they expire? I hope not!)

there is the coupon (and they don't expire as far as I know), but on some "opening" night for the collection, they offer a 20% off (you cannot stack your coupon) off anything for a limited time.  I didn't do that last time, and this time - I will - I have some stuff in my cart right now, but am waiting on the 20%

Me too!  (havent even smelled it yet.. hahaha!)

Bummed that they didn't include the polyjuice potion bath oil in the permanent collection too

http://www.fortunecookiesoap.com/products/polyjuice-potion-bath-oil

They brought it back for like one day, but I missed getting it!! :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> :(

I don't think the discount codes (that come in the sub boxes) expire- I just used one that was when they used to print them on a separate little strip of paper (not printed on the cards like they do now) so that's what, from at least 2 or 3 boxes ago?  And it totally worked, so I think your spring one is still going to be good for awhile (I intend to use my spring one later on for more PJ stuff they restock & whatever new goodies they come up w/ in the future!)

The sub box $10 off codes do not expire.  I've used codes that were more than a year old with no problem.

Also, from their subscription page, clearly from a while ago, but there are still important dates in here: 

EEEEEK just a few short weeks until the Candy Land themed Summer Soap Box ships!  Click here to subscribe to The Soap Box. The next box is our Summer Soap Box, which starts shipping May 12th. *Please note: you will be charged when you sign up. The absolute last day to sign up for the summer box is May 5th.​

So.  If you want this, you need to sign up before Monday!  And then boxes start shipping next Monday! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back