FOTD - June 30, 2008

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For some reason, all my pictures today are washing out my eye makeup...it's supposed to be turquoise/gold.

Wow i like your eye shadow! would luv to do try that look on me
eusa_whistle.gif

Originally Posted by corche74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif For some reason, all my pictures today are washing out my eye makeup...it's supposed to be turquoise/gold.Wow i like your eye shadow! would luv to do try that look on me
eusa_whistle.gif

just a suggestion but why don't you try a few layers of tape (preferably frosted "invisible" tape to diffuse some of the light from the flash or else maybe shoot your pics outside in natural light?

Originally Posted by Darla_G /img/forum/go_quote.gif just a suggestion but why don't you try a few layers of tape (preferably frosted "invisible" tape to diffuse some of the light from the flash or else maybe shoot your pics outside in natural light? I forgot all about that...I was reading tips on taking better makeup pictures, and I completely forgot to try taping the flash. Thanks
smile.gif

Originally Posted by xtiffanyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif I forgot all about that...I was reading tips on taking better makeup pictures, and I completely forgot to try taping the flash. Thanks
smile.gif
. I can't take credit look at the FOTD from June 26 and there is a link to a photo taking thread.

Originally Posted by Darla_G /img/forum/go_quote.gif just a suggestion but why don't you try a few layers of tape (preferably frosted "invisible" tape to diffuse some of the light from the flash or else maybe shoot your pics outside in natural light? I will usually fold a piece of tissue and cover the flash with it myself... Both methods would work well, I just don't want to put tape on my camera.

Originally Posted by MACGoddess /img/forum/go_quote.gif I will usually fold a piece of tissue and cover the flash with it myself... Both methods would work well, I just don't want to put tape on my camera. not a bad idea too. Unfortunately my opportunities to do this come few and far between.

Originally Posted by Killah Kitty /img/forum/go_quote.gif Andrea you look great too. I like the pigments from FACES! All of the peachy colours on my eyes are the pigments!! Never really looked at them before but they are awesome!!

Originally Posted by xtiffanyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif Thanks Adrienne! I used Naked Space lipglass over Viva Glam 2 lipstick(looks horrible on me by itself). I fill in my eyebrows with some old brown eyeshadow using the brush that comes with HIP cream liners and set them with clear mascara
smile.gif
. Thanks
wink.gif

Originally Posted by MACGoddess /img/forum/go_quote.gif Andrrea, take baby steps into the makeup, I promise you will get there!! They did a lovely job of making you up, did you try to watch them do it so you can duplicate it? I tried but it's difficult to see everything, you know?
You look stunning!!! I love the green liner on you!! Your techinique looks flawless!

Originally Posted by Shelley /img/forum/go_quote.gif andrrea.. You look glowy and beautiful. I also like Faces makeup. Many of the colors are similar to MAC. I am totally in love with Faces now!!! They have a HUGE selection of eyeshadows that are so pigmented and their blushes are amazing!!

Everyone looks stunning!!

Everybody looks so good! Darla, I like the red wig!

Originally Posted by Darla_G /img/forum/go_quote.gif just a suggestion but why don't you try a few layers of tape (preferably frosted "invisible" tape to diffuse some of the light from the flash or else maybe shoot your pics outside in natural light? Wow, I am going to have to try that! Thanks for the tip!
laughing.gif

Originally Posted by andrrea /img/forum/go_quote.gif I tried but it's difficult to see everything, you know?
You look stunning!!! I love the green liner on you!! Your techinique looks flawless!

Thanks, but think too, this is 1 - my job, and 2 - something I have been doing for a while now... I have had lots of practice and experimentation to fall back on!!
Maybe try and get one of those stand mirrors or the ones that attach to your wall that are slightly magnified? Then it would be a bit easier to see what you are doing. Also try using the "energy saver" bulbs by I think GE, they emit a more white and natural light so you can see what you are doing much much better than tungsten lights!

Thank you everyone for your kind comments. The FOTD threads are always a lot of fun.

Andrrea: you looked terrific. and now that the "ice" has been broken posting the second time will be that much easier.

Celly: very pretty look

Tiffany: Very nice pics too

MacGoddess: I just like how perfect it turns out. I want to know is that just excellent technique or are there some more tips I want to hear about?

Originally Posted by Darla_G /img/forum/go_quote.gif MacGoddess: I just like how perfect it turns out. I want to know is that just excellent technique or are there some more tips I want to hear about? Please call me Leila...and it is a bit of both! I have been a makeup artist now for about 3 yrs, and working for MAC over 2.5 yrs. so I have a lot of experience behind me. But there are some things that I do that are my "tricks" that make life easier.
EYES:

- I will usually do them first, that way if you need to clean up the look or fix something you won't mess anything else up on your face!

- Use flat brushes like the MAC #239, #242, #252 on the browbone and the lid, think of it, they are the flatter areas of your eye so they benefit more from a flat brush, that way you get a better color payoff than a fluffy brush too.

- For the crease use a round brush to fit it, MAC#217 is my ultimate crease brush but I do sometimes use the #224.

- I usually do my eyes in the following order (it changes depending on the look but it is a basic setup): browbone, crease, lid. I blend as I go with the brush I am using for that area so it takes much less time and there are no surprises with the look.

FACE:

- Do foundation, then concealer, then powder. After that you are all set and can add in the blush or bronzer without the products catching on still wet foundation and concealer.

- Preferably buff your foundation on with either a #188 brush or for some foundations a #109 brush. It always looks a lot smoother on the face and pick up only a bit of product at a time.

Leila,

thanks a lot! I have copied these and will try them out next chance i get!

Originally Posted by Darla_G /img/forum/go_quote.gif Andrrea: you looked terrific. and now that the "ice" has been broken posting the second time will be that much easier. Hopefully, and one day soon I hope to post a look I've done to myself
smile.gif

Leila, thanks for those awesome tips!!!

Originally Posted by andrrea /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hopefully, and one day soon I hope to post a look I've done to myself
smile.gif
Question when you go to a place like that do they sort of explain what and how they are doing?

Originally Posted by Darla_G /img/forum/go_quote.gif Question when you go to a place like that do they sort of explain what and how they are doing? They would if I wanted them to, but it takes longer and I was on a timeline to make it to a wedding on time!!
The great thing about this place is that they charge you a fee (like $40) for the makeover, but you get $40 worth of product. I'm thinking that I will go in another time when I have more time and have them do an everyday sort of look and explain it step by step. That way I get the products they've used (mainly for my eyes) and practice recreating a basic look and go from there!

Back