Fur on the Runway

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I honestly just dont understand why we still have fur on major fashion runways. YEAR AFTER YEAR. please somebody, tell me the appeal of killing an animals for a JACKET or a WRAP. what is it that makes is SO exciting? where is the beauty in the outside layer of a slaughtered animal.

Seriously, fashion is supposed to be sophisticated and elegant,

but in a industry that has to kill to look good, i just dont see it.

and i hate it.

and i REALLY am asking those of you who wear fur to just explain it to me.

thanks.

I will be watching this thread, dont let it get heated and make sure to respect each others opinions ladies
smile.gif

theres been a few threads about this already

i honestly dont see the difference between fur and a leather designer handbag. both were slaughtered.

so im against those too, and anything else animal. but people freak out when it's fur but not their thousand dollar designer bag. now thats what i dont get.

who knows why people still love it, but i totally agree.

besides fur looks really tacky.

i made an exception, its this awsome vintage dress jacket, with a hat and a shawl thing i got but its not real fur (which fake fur is impossible to find in vintage clothes). its like a furry looking fake fur, but it looks pretty real.

Originally Posted by Retro-Violet /img/forum/go_quote.gif who knows why people still love it, but i totally agree.besides fur looks really tacky.

i made an exception, its this awsome vintage dress jacket, with a hat and a shawl thing i got but its not real fur (which fake fur is impossible to find in vintage clothes). its like a furry looking fake fur, but it looks pretty real.

I think the reason people still buy it is because it has become crystallized on some people's mind that fur is a sign of richness and class - like those 30's/40's divas who wore fur jackets and such or even older than that. And because of that, fur still exists and is still expensive - which makes it attractive to those who want to show they're wealthy - like rappers and a lot of people who got rich quickly
It'll take some time until things change , but probably they will - until the 50/60's if i'm not mistaken, being tan wasn't attractive (in older days it was connected with poor people since it probably was from working outdoors) - in 60's it became to get linked with health and good life because people who'd practice sports and generally have a good life without having to work much indoors got a tan (think John F. Kennedy or other movie stars from that time)

I would never buy fur now....but I have inherited fur coats and capes that I keep for sentimental reasons. I agree with everything Lia said above....eventually fur will be out.

And about the leather, that's a touchy thing - i'd never be able to not wear leather things, as well as most of the people , because it's long lasting, beautiful and comfortable - it's hard to compare a good shoe made with leather with one made of fabric - both can be super comfy and beautiful, but the chances are that the leather ones will last longer even if they don't have proper care (i know because i'm master on ripping fake leather sandals because i'm not the most careful person in the world and i tend to fall a lot)

To some things the fake leather work ok as well, but isn't as long lasting as the real deal - sad, but true;

I personally don't like the idea of wearing fur or leather. I have a lot of faux leather shoes and jackets, though! lol.

I don't wear fur because I'm allergic to animal hair. Fur is merely a fashion statement for people who wear it. They wear it to show they have enough money to buy one. Wearing it as a status symbol is inane.

If everybody in the world stopped wearing fur it would stop animals from being killed for that specific reason. That would help a lot of animals. Some furs are made because the animal is dead already for other reasons. What can be done, if people continue to want them and buy them?

I don't want to see animals killed for fashion or makeup. That does seem senseless. PETA and everybody in the world that go off the deep end about animal rights is part of the reason nothing can be done about animal deaths for fashion and makeup. The average meat-eating person thinks the PETA organization is comprised of nuts. People get pissed off when vegans and vegetarians try to impose their beliefs on the rest of society. For example, Joaquin Phoenix doing those PETA commercials saying "don't eat turkey for thanksgiving eat tofu turkeys". Ugh, what, come on??? I can't even watch movies with him it. All I can think about is that inane commercial with him walking through the market with all those turkeys, “don’t kill turkeys for food eat tofu turkeysâ€. I am paraphrasing; I don’t remember the exact phrases. There are hundreds of thousand of turkeys in the world. It’s not hurting anything to eat some of them. Things like this cause people to ignore PETA. Vegans and vegetarians can eat “their way†all they want, that’s fine by me, but don't put me down and call me a killer because I eat meat and like it. I don’t put down vegetarians or vegans, unless they kill their baby by starving it to death. I just read a story about that, just this week. See, things like that make people think vegans and vegetarians don’t look at things with common sense. Meat-eaters look at these types that want to protect animals, as people that will sacrifice the humans for the animals. If PETA would tone it down some then maybe carnivores would get behind the fur and makeup cause. Let’s be honest, some of those PETA people just make it harder for them to advance their agenda. They make too many meat-eaters want to dismiss them. Nobody that eats meat will stop to listen to a PETA speaker, even if they are naked. With the exception of a few uncaring people I don't think anyone wants to see animals killed for reasons of beauty and fashion. I know I don't.

I don't see anything wrong with leather. It is a very important part of clothing and many other things that we use everyday. The cow is dead anyway for the beef. Why not put the hide to use?

Living off the animals on the Earth is part of life. We need to look at it with common sense. People are going to eat meat and wear leather. Fur and makeup related uses could be stopped if everyone would work together.

Originally Posted by katnahat /img/forum/go_quote.gif I don't wear fur because I'm allergic to animal hair. Fur is merely a fashion statement for people who wear it. They wear it to show they have enough money to buy one. Wearing it as a status symbol is inane.
If everybody in the world stopped wearing fur it would stop animals from being killed for that specific reason. That would help a lot of animals. Some furs are made because the animal is dead already for other reasons. What can be done, if people continue to want them and buy them?

I don't want to see animals killed for fashion or makeup. That does seem senseless. PETA and everybody in the world that go off the deep end about animal rights is part of the reason nothing can be done about animal deaths for fashion and makeup. The average meat-eating person thinks the PETA organization is comprised of nuts. People get pissed off when vegans and vegetarians try to impose their beliefs on the rest of society. For example, Joaquin Phoenix doing those PETA commercials saying "don't eat turkey for thanksgiving eat tofu turkeys". Ugh, what, come on??? I can't even watch movies with him it. All I can think about is that inane commercial with him walking through the market with all those turkeys, “don’t kill turkeys for food eat tofu turkeysâ€. I am paraphrasing; I don’t remember the exact phrases. There are hundreds of thousand of turkeys in the world. It’s not hurting anything to eat some of them. Things like this cause people to ignore PETA. Vegans and vegetarians can eat “their way†all they want, that’s fine by me, but don't put me down and call me a killer because I eat meat and like it. I don’t put down vegetarians or vegans, unless they kill their baby by starving it to death. I just read a story about that, just this week. See, things like that make people think vegans and vegetarians don’t look at things with common sense. Meat-eaters look at these types that want to protect animals, as people that will sacrifice the humans for the animals. If PETA would tone it down some then maybe carnivores would get behind the fur and makeup cause. Let’s be honest, some of those PETA people just make it harder for them to advance their agenda. They make too many meat-eaters want to dismiss them. Nobody that eats meat will stop to listen to a PETA speaker, even if they are naked. With the exception of a few uncaring people I don't think anyone wants to see animals killed for reasons of beauty and fashion. I know I don't.

I don't see anything wrong with leather. It is a very important part of clothing and many other things that we use everyday. The cow is dead anyway for the beef. Why not put the hide to use?

Living off the animals on the Earth is part of life. We need to look at it with common sense. People are going to eat meat and wear leather. Fur and makeup related uses could be stopped if everyone would work together.

Very well said!! I agree!

Originally Posted by katnahat /img/forum/go_quote.gif I don't wear fur because I'm allergic to animal hair. Fur is merely a fashion statement for people who wear it. They wear it to show they have enough money to buy one. Wearing it as a status symbol is inane.

Simply because supporting leather means supporting the meat industry, i guess if you eat meat then yes you don't care to use leather, but since i dont, i feel it's wrong.
not to mention leather doesnt just come from cows Kat, more often than you'd think you're buying a CAT or a DOG or other small animals JUST for leather. so yeah, it's pretty much the same as fur.

Thats a big misconception, it comes from cows that are already dead so why not? No..not always. It comes from many animals and killed just for that reason too.

I don't see the big deal with buying fake leather, so you might have to buy it more often than a leather product, it's still cheaper, and you're still not wearing a dead cat.

By the way, im kind of affended by your post. You're blaming PETA, a group of people who actually care about animals and want to try to make a difference so they use many different tactics and slogans to try to get the message out - for the animal cruelty? Thats just rediculous. People are gonna do what they are going to do anyways, don't blame PETA. It's perfectly ok what PETA does, after all it IS murder even if the consumer isnt the one who murdered it. I just don't see that as justifiable. There are so many commercials for eating meat, why cant there be some for not eating it? People just get mad when others challenge what their doing and say it's wrong, because they might believe hey..they're right, but I like it, so im gonna get mad and pretend that it's okay. Maybe you should research PETA a bit more before you say stuff like that, because PETA gets tons and tons of people to end animal cruelty by sending out petitions, emails, letters, you know it. Not just for meat but for fashion and makeup.

"There are hundreds of thousand of turkeys in the world. It’s not hurting anything to eat some of them." - except those turkeys..

And my last statement: I was a meat eater until I saw a PETA video and cruised through their website and learned lots of interesting facts and stuff. So yes im going to pay attention to PETA and not just dismiss them cause I think theyre crazy?

Wether or not you think they are, they still have a way better message to bring than most people. And you can learn a lot through them.

The problem is, they use violence sometimes and it gets bad publicity. It's something different to get naked on the street than throwing paint on people who wear fur or attacking laboratories

I guess so, but they still do lots of good things as well. Without them there wouldnt be too many people speaking up for animal rights simply because nobody really cares. And they still get messages out, people are too cought up in their own busy lifes to care about what products their buying are tested on animals and such, and more than half the time they don't care if it is anyways, but those who do..they need to know this stuff and I know there isnt many other people trying to tell them that information.

Originally Posted by MindySue /img/forum/go_quote.gif . By the way, im kind of affended by your post. You're blaming PETA, a group of people who actually care about animals and want to try to make a difference so they use many different tactics and slogans to try to get the message out - for the animal cruelty? Thats just rediculous. People are gonna do what they are going to do anyways, don't blame PETA. It's perfectly ok what PETA does, after all it IS murder even if the consumer isnt the one who murdered it. I just don't see that as justifiable. Just a few quick notes.
PETA engages in tactics that are less than noble in trying to accomplish their goals and get their message out. I don't think physically attacking people who wear fur is making a difference and it certainly doesn't send the right message. Killing animals is not OK but attacking people who wear animal products is OK? There's no sound logic to that. I'm all for treating animals humanely but if people want to eat meat, wear leather or fur, so be it. Humans have been eating meat, wearing leather and slaughtering animals since the beginning of time. Does PETA really think it's going to be able to put a stop to that? I do believe animals should be killed in a humane manner. I'm all for halal and kosher meat.
smile.gif

More importantly, killing an animal is NOT murder. Murder is the taking of a human life. To equate killing an animal to murder devalues human life, not to mention simply wrong. The more apt word to use is kill, not murder and yes, there is a difference between the two.

I do believe killing an animal is justifiable. For a large part of the world's population, eating meat is a rarity. They're too poor to afford it so it bcomes a delicacy. When they can eat meat, good for them. It contains lots of protein and fat which is what many impoverished, malnourished people in the world need.

It's so easy to say killing animals is wrong when we have the luxury of choice and wealth.

Originally Posted by MindySue /img/forum/go_quote.gif Simply because supporting leather means supporting the meat industry, i guess if you eat meat then yes you don't care to use leather, but since i dont, i feel it's wrong.
not to mention leather doesnt just come from cows Kat, more often than you'd think you're buying a CAT or a DOG or other small animals JUST for leather. so yeah, it's pretty much the same as fur.

Thats a big misconception, it comes from cows that are already dead so why not? No..not always. It comes from many animals and killed just for that reason too.

I don't see the big deal with buying fake leather, so you might have to buy it more often than a leather product, it's still cheaper, and you're still not wearing a dead cat.

By the way, im kind of affended by your post. You're blaming PETA, a group of people who actually care about animals and want to try to make a difference so they use many different tactics and slogans to try to get the message out - for the animal cruelty? Thats just rediculous. People are gonna do what they are going to do anyways, don't blame PETA. It's perfectly ok what PETA does, after all it IS murder even if the consumer isnt the one who murdered it. I just don't see that as justifiable. There are so many commercials for eating meat, why cant there be some for not eating it? People just get mad when others challenge what their doing and say it's wrong, because they might believe hey..they're right, but I like it, so im gonna get mad and pretend that it's okay. Maybe you should research PETA a bit more before you say stuff like that, because PETA gets tons and tons of people to end animal cruelty by sending out petitions, emails, letters, you know it. Not just for meat but for fashion and makeup.

"There are hundreds of thousand of turkeys in the world. It’s not hurting anything to eat some of them." - except those turkeys..

And my last statement: I was a meat eater until I saw a PETA video and cruised through their website and learned lots of interesting facts and stuff. So yes im going to pay attention to PETA and not just dismiss them cause I think theyre crazy?

Wether or not you think they are, they still have a way better message to bring than most people. And you can learn a lot through them.

I'm sorry you're offended. You are proving my point though. My opposition of PETA’s forceful tactics offends you. I only expressed opposition. You decided to label me a murderer. It isn’t murder if the animal is eaten. It would be murder if they killed it and threw on the side of the road. I'm not offended that you don't eat meat or support PETA. See the difference in our approaches?

Yes there are many meat commercials. NONE of them say stop eating vegetables, ONLY eat meat. That IS what PETA commercials say. They say DON’T eat meat!! Only eat vegetables, beans or eat whatever, as long as it’s not an animal. That is forcing a lifestyle on me.

The only thing people are mad at is the arrogance of PETA and how they expect everyone to do as they do. If you don't you are called a murderer. That is unacceptable to me. I don't want to be a vegetarian and I'm not going to be one. At least I respect vegan and vegetarian’s choices. Why can't I get the same respect?

Some turkeys are killed for food. That's the way it is. I like turkey, you don’t, let’s leave it at that. I respect your way of life; please respect mine.

They can still try. It will never stop completely but a difference can be made.

Ok, well that just proves how sick are world is anyways. Nobody wants to think of Animals on the same level as people. Nothing I can do about that, but I think it's wrong. Taking an animals life should be just as bad as killing a human IMO.

It's even easier to say it's wrong when you see a video of how they do it, and learn about it.

Originally Posted by katnahat /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'm sorry you're offended. You are proving my point though. My opposition of PETA’s forceful tactics offends you. I only expressed opposition. You decided to label me a murderer. It isn’t murder if the animal is eaten. It would be murder if they killed it and threw on the side of the road. I'm not offended that you don't eat meat or support PETA. See the difference in our approaches?
Yes there are many meat commercials. NONE of them say stop eating vegetables, ONLY eat meat. That IS what PETA commercials say. They say DON’T eat meat!! Only eat vegetables, beans or eat whatever, as long as it’s not an animal. That is forcing a lifestyle on me.

The only thing people are mad at is the arrogance of PETA and how they expect everyone to do as they do. If you don't you are called a murderer. That is unacceptable to me. I don't want to be a vegetarian and I'm not going to be one. At least I respect vegan and vegetarian’s choices. Why can't I get the same respect?

Some turkeys are killed for food. That's the way it is. I like turkey, you don’t, let’s leave it at that. I respect your way of life; please respect mine.

Well, im not affended you eat meat. I accept that people do.

I just was affended that you blamed peta for animal cruelty.

And I didn't mean to label you a murderer, I said killing it is murder, and I guess that would make meat eaters just eating the murdered animal.

Im sorry to say I can't respect it because I know how those animals die.

I just cant, this will be my last post here..so I don't get in trouble.

But I see a big difference in a vegetarian lifestyle, because there isnt anything to not respect about it, and eating meat..it's just a horrible industry and unrespectable in my book. There is nothing you can say that is wrong about being a vegetarian, and so many things that are wrong with eating meat, because of how the animals are killed and how it hurts the enviroment and even our own bodies. I don't get why im supposed to respect the choice to brutally murder another living creature that feels the same pain I do.

If people had the choice to kill children because they tasted good, and then put them on the market, and you decided you didn't agree with this cruelty, would you respect those people who chose to kill/eat the children? I highly doubt it, because killing people is NEVER acceptable. Im sure you think that is an absurd comparison because nobody wants to think of animals as the same as us, but I do, so it is the same for me, which is why I can never respect a meat eating lifestyle. I hope you atleast understand that part of my thinking. Animals are my friends,(not just cats and dogs, but cows and chickens and pigs) and I certainly don't want to respect the choice of people to eat my friends.

Originally Posted by MindySue /img/forum/go_quote.gif Ok, well that just proves how sick are world is anyways. Nobody wants to think of Animals on the same level as people. Nothing I can do about that, but I think it's wrong. Taking an animals life should be just as bad as killing a human IMO.
If people had the choice to kill children because they tasted good, and then put them on the market, and you decided you didn't agree with this cruelty, would you respect those people who chose to kill/eat the children? I highly doubt it, because killing people is NEVER acceptable. Im sure you think that is an absurd comparison because nobody wants to think of animals as the same as us, but I do, so it is the same for me, which is why I can never respect a meat eating lifestyle. I hope you atleast understand that part of my thinking. Animals are my friends,(not just cats and dogs, but cows and chickens and pigs) and I certainly don't want to respect the choice of people to eat my friends.

I can't believe you just compared killing and eating children to killing an eating a chicken? Wow!
Also, killing is acceptable under certain, limited circumstances (ie. death or grave bodily injury). In relation to animals, killing them for food, clothing and medicine is acceptable and humane. Killing animals for pleasure is not.

I don't think animals are on the same level as humans. In fact, I think they're below us. This doesn't make me sick. It makes me human.

They both feel the same pain and thats all that im concerned about, they both die the same way and suffer the same. They both have feelings. I also cant believe you think anything is below us.

Just because it is socially acceptable and accepted by the law to kill and eat animals doesnt mean it's right or humane, so was slavery at one time..and not letting women have rights. I have hopes that some day people will think of killing animals as the same and do something to change it. I doubt it, though.

Maybe one day we will look back and think how did we ever think this was right? You never know. I guess until you watch these animals be murdered you won't think much of it. But I have, it's not pretty or humane.

Okay ladies, everyone take a deep breath! THIS is exactly why we said we'd be watching this thread! Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but at some point you have to agree to disagree and let it go!

Back