Getting your Makeup Done Professionally: Fail or Fantastic?!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

With MAC and Clinique - no. With MicaBella yes because I lied too. The owner of kiosk said I could return it but on the receipt it stated no refunds and the manager was a complete... witch... who screamed at me in the middle of the mall. I posted about it in this forum if you want to read up on it. I have a pending lawsuit against them in small claims for my money back.
Jeebus! I'll read up on this for sure. What a nightmare. I'd be lawyering-up too; people and companies shouldn't be allowed to get away with behavior like that--especially when it comes to your health and an allergic reaction. Unbelievable! 

Yes, twice.

The first experience was for the release of the Barbie collection by MAC. I liked the products, the lady was nice and funny, but this is where i learned applying makeup on yourself and on someone else is a totally different experience. She had little to zero experience, that was obvious. Shaky eyeliner (shouldn't have asked for more), powdery face, and melted makeup under a few hours, the worst was i had to visit a friend and use her bathroom to realise the disaster. I asked for the green&pink eye look, i still do it, but without the fuschia lips, that is clearly too much for face, despite my liking for dramatic makeup.

The other was at a makeup school in Paris, i learned by hazard the school welcomed any person coming at their door on friday afternoons, to be used as models by their students. For students halfway in their year, i thought the level of knowledge was incredibly high, and professional. My makeup artist to be first did a look she had to do to validate that specific course (special effects), so she turned my face into a dead woman's face, with false ice on my eyes (very funny !), then after washing everything off my face, she did a night look. It was fantastic, i just wished i paid more attention to my eyes, she used a combination of dark green, brown and red and the result was stunning. It didn't last long though, she didn't use primers.

Very interesting story! Quick question: With the final look from the makeup school, (the green and pink one) which eyeliner did the artist opt to go with? Pencil, gel, liquid, or a combination?

Originally Posted by magosienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, twice.

The first experience was for the release of the Barbie collection by MAC. I liked the products, the lady was nice and funny, but this is where i learned applying makeup on yourself and on someone else is a totally different experience. She had little to zero experience, that was obvious. Shaky eyeliner (shouldn't have asked for more), powdery face, and melted makeup under a few hours, the worst was i had to visit a friend and use her bathroom to realise the disaster. I asked for the green&pink eye look, i still do it, but without the fuschia lips, that is clearly too much for face, despite my liking for dramatic makeup.

The other was at a makeup school in Paris, i learned by hazard the school welcomed any person coming at their door on friday afternoons, to be used as models by their students. For students halfway in their year, i thought the level of knowledge was incredibly high, and professional. My makeup artist to be first did a look she had to do to validate that specific course (special effects), so she turned my face into a dead woman's face, with false ice on my eyes (very funny !), then after washing everything off my face, she did a night look. It was fantastic, i just wished i paid more attention to my eyes, she used a combination of dark green, brown and red and the result was stunning. It didn't last long though, she didn't use primers.

I've had several MAC girls do my makeup, and the experience was lovely, except for one time when I didn't find the look at all flattering. But my greatest experience with a professional was when Nicola Chapman did my and my friend's makeup, when she was working in the Illamasqua counter @Selfridges. My friend and I went to London on vacation and had booked Nic for a makeover. It was a marvelous experience!!

Nic was amazing, she explained everything, she was very talkative and funny, and of course the result was extra-ordinary. She has magic hands! I had asked for a makeup to make my eyes look bigger, and my friend asked for a subtle smoky eyes and neutral lips. We both got exactly what we wanted and were very happy.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f321/lina1911/my%20pictures/P091209_201033.jpg

(I'm on the right, my friend's on the left)

Originally Posted by greeneyedlady /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Very interesting story! Quick question: With the final look from the makeup school, (the green and pink one) which eyeliner did the artist opt to go with? Pencil, gel, liquid, or a combination?

The green&pink look was from MAC, she just used liquid. Their own liquid liner. It's probably the one thing that lasted most on me.

At the makeup school, i think she used first a pencil, then gel liner. She used khol for my waterline as well (black liner).

do it once to learn some new techniques (ive been twice after 20 years)..after that do not waste your money..you know better what you like and probably can do just as good if not better..make up requires patiece and attention to detail..sadly i think they all just want our money and the more people they push in the chair the more money they make...

I've never had my make-up done professionally! I'm dying to have it done, I'd love to see what a professional could do with all of my features.

I'm still learning my own face and how to bring out my best features.

Hearing the horror stories in here makes me a bit nervous though honestly, haha.

The last time I was in MAC she matched my skin poorly. I'm very fair but she gave me the Medium Studio Careblend Pressed Powder thing, I wish I'd noticed before I paid because the nearest MAC is far out of town and I can't return it. =/

I'm very obviously pale as all hell, I don't know why she thought that would be a better match, lol. -facepalm-

Does it cost to get your make-up done at MAC? Or is it free because you'll most likely be buying what they use on you after wards?

What is the price range normally for getting your make-up done professionally?

I got my makeup done for free at the Bay at the NARS counter. It was a lot better than MAC. lol

But otherwise, I would only trust super duper experienced makeup artist, and it would probably cost a lot more money to not look like a clown. LOL

Originally Posted by AndreaRenee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've never had my make-up done professionally! I'm dying to have it done, I'd love to see what a professional could do with all of my features.

I'm still learning my own face and how to bring out my best features.

Hearing the horror stories in here makes me a bit nervous though honestly, haha.

The last time I was in MAC she matched my skin poorly. I'm very fair but she gave me the Medium Studio Careblend Pressed Powder thing, I wish I'd noticed before I paid because the nearest MAC is far out of town and I can't return it. =/

I'm very obviously pale as all hell, I don't know why she thought that would be a better match, lol. -facepalm-

Does it cost to get your make-up done at MAC? Or is it free because you'll most likely be buying what they use on you after wards?

What is the price range normally for getting your make-up done professionally?

I have had my makeup done by some makeup artists at counters like Dior. Many of them did a very nice job. However, I always ended up preferring the way that I apply my makeup.

I had it done prof a few times. the experience was kinda shocking. I didn't think the make up artist knew how to do make up on asian features. put it bluntly i looked like a freak.

so then i went to an asian make up artist, a slight improved, i looked like a pig. they really know how to add pounds onto my face.

I'm not really comfortable with make up artists doing my make up... mainly because I don't feel it's hygenic, especially at counters and getting my make up done with testers

Yes, yuck !! That's why when i come in Sephora (that's where i buy most of my makeup), i always use hand sanitizer.

With no intention of generalising anything : the Sephora girls in the shops i have been and those i have seen applying makeup on clients, well, i don't know if it's a problem in recruit or of training, but they ALWAYS had dirty brushes, and the bristles were so dry and tangled, going in all directions, it's clear they don't take care of their brushes, and if they clean them, they must rub the bristles very hard.

To think they always wear makeup at work, i do wonder how they can apply makeup and not get pimples or eye infections, because if they don't wash their main tool at work, i'm not sure they do it at home.

^^ewewewwwwww!! This is NOT good! Knowing how to sanitize is a HUGE issue! I'm shocked as well when I see other artists' "sanitation" (i.e. lack of) techniques. Artists should be sanitizing ALL products between EACH client. This includes brushes as well. Thanks for sharing everyone!

Only ONCE was I truly satisfied with makeup applied to me and that was the lady demonstrated how to do my prom makeup. Since then I've never been satisfied. Not even one of my home country's BEST and most popular artists made me happy when he was done with my face, or the guy that works for the news here in Houston...

Currently, I prefer how I do my makeup. I don't think anybody could top me at doing it, lol!

I have never gotten my makeup done before and really have never been interesting in getting my makeup done by someone else because when I go to the makeup counters I am not that impress with there work. They tend to apply too much makeup and are not good with color matching. My mom and other family members have gotten their makeup done and they applied so much makeup that they went to the bathroom and took it off. The issues that I have when I am trying to get matched for my foundation color is enough to let me know I don't want them doing my makeup. lol! Most of the times people are better at applying their own makeup than the supposed to be professional.

My friend had her makeup done by a professional for her nonfirmation. She seemed happy about it, but she said the professional artist added too little mascara.

I would call ahead and find out when their "slower" times are, so there aren't a ton of customers around. When I had mine done at Macy's I felt bad for the girl that did mine--she was rushing around back and forth, trying to get my application done as well as helping customers that needed to buy products. I can't speak for all companies, but I know for the counters I've been to there is a minimum "fee" for getting your makeup done that is redeemable in products. (I want to say it was around $45? at the MAC counter?) I don't know if things have changed, but that's how it was when I had mine done.

Originally Posted by SarraSanborn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How do you approach someone at a counter at like Macys about getting your makeup done?

Originally Posted by Dame de l Ennui /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My friend had her makeup done by a professional for her nonfirmation. She seemed happy about it, but she said the professional artist added too little mascara.

Mascara can be difficult to apply on others (in my xp), especially on people who are very flinchy/never had their makeup done by someone else. It makes the artist nervous as heck because the last thing you want to do is poke someone in the eye! Sometimes in these situations I'll actually hold the wand steady and tell the client to "blink," kind of having them self-coat. The other option is gently holding their top lid back, that way the roots of the lashes are much easier to get at. I'd love to hear other artists' opinions on this matter (or those who just do makeup on others for fun :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> )

Thanks for the input Dame ! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

You can either call in for an appointment or walk in. I know Mac wants you to purchase $50.00 worth of their products or I guess if you don't want to purchase any products you just pay them $50.00.

Back