Glossybox February 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ive been using the snail mask for over a year---it weirds you out thinking about it, but once you get past that and try not to think about the texture when you're putting it on (its not that bad, its just subconsious), its great! Makes my skin feel soft and I feel like it soothes my under eye area.

Originally Posted by eparks53 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I use the Michael Todd organics KNU and it is made with the same ingredient.  They said it is humanly harvested by simply cleaning out their habitat.  I don't know about this brand though.  It doesn't feel any different then any other face cream it's just shiny white in the jar.  I love it though, my hg.
That's good to know! Thanks for the info. For some reason I was picturing some people squeezing little snails to death. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by smiletorismile /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's good to know! Thanks for the info. For some reason I was picturing some people squeezing little snails to death. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I recommend that you not look up civet as used in perfume.  Or, really, any natural musk used in perfume.  (I wear perfumes that involve a lot of different types of musks, but the company that makes them is cruelty-free, so they make vegan musks, which means they're accords assembled/synthesized from natural non-animal components.)

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I recommend that you not look up civet as used in perfume.  Or, really, any natural musk used in perfume.  (I wear perfumes that involve a lot of different types of musks, but the company that makes them is cruelty-free, so they make vegan musks, which means they're accords assembled/synthesized from natural non-animal components.)
That's so gross *plus they are so cute!*! I looked up a list and the only one that I've even considered buying is the Chanel No 5, so that's good, I guess its a plus that I tend to stay away from musky type scents to begin with. :)

I read an article that says that 97% of the musk is sold to France.  Hopefully that means when the EU cosmetics ban goes into effect in March this practice will become obsolete.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciaxtrois /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hello, Does anyone know if you can cancel online? I've looked everywhere for the option and i cannot find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Go to the manage subscription link, click the monthly box and you should be on the recurring profiles page.  At the bottom is a cancel link.  It took me like 10 minutes of screwing around on their site to find it.  It should be right on the first page of your account!

I'm just glad that I jumped ship after this last box.  I don't have acne, I never use masques, I don't use bar soap, I do my own gel nails and I don't really care about a lip gloss and an eyeliner...I'll get those in Ipsy.  This box is super disappointing to me so I'm glad I'm not in for it.

Originally Posted by eparks53 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the Michael Todd organics KNU and it is made with the same ingredient.  They said it is humanly harvested by simply cleaning out their habitat.  I don't know about this brand though.  It doesn't feel any different then any other face cream it's just shiny white in the jar.  
Missha is a Korean brand and those cosmetic companies are notorious for animal testing. I researched online and found that snail "slime" is obtained by "mechanically stressing" the animals to increase production of their mucus. That does not sound humane or natural at all. I would never use a product that is produced by such blatant animal torture and I encourage everyone to seek alternatives because there are many other anti-aging products that are cruelty-free. Besides, rubbing snail snot all over one's face to fight aging sounds a little desperate to me.

Oh, in my post above I didn't mean to imply that anyone who has stated they are excited about the snail slime product is desperate - I originally thought it was just a clever name for the product and wanted to try it, but when I found out it did, in fact, contain snail mucus and how they got it I no longer was interested and my post was generally directed at the people who already use this stuff and create the demand for it - and hoping to deter people from adding to this demand by shedding some light on the animal cruelty involved.

Originally Posted by katie danielle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh, in my post above I didn't mean to imply that anyone who has stated they are excited about the snail slime product is desperate - I originally thought it was just a clever name for the product and wanted to try it, but when I found out it did, in fact, contain snail mucus and how they got it I no longer was interested and my post was generally directed at the people who already use this stuff and create the demand for it - and hoping to deter people from adding to this demand by shedding some light on the animal cruelty involved.
Definitely not just a clever name. I'm pretty sure all the products coming out with placenta really have placenta in them too. I don't even want to know what placenta it is.  I don't buy cruelty free. If they are it's a good bonus, but not my hill to die on.

I just cancelled my sub too. This will be my first box and my last. None of the products I consider high end except maybe the snail stuff and I really don't care all that much about that. The cosmetics I looked up online are drugstore prices. The evologie stuff is a sample I could go online and get for about 3 dollars. The soap is available on amazon for about 8 dollars. Really I could have went online and got most of this stuff myself for about 21 dollars. Where is the value in this box?

Originally Posted by katie danielle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Missha is a Korean brand and those cosmetic companies are notorious for animal testing. I researched online and found that snail "slime" is obtained by "mechanically stressing" the animals to increase production of their mucus. That does not sound humane or natural at all. I would never use a product that is produced by such blatant animal torture and I encourage everyone to seek alternatives because there are many other anti-aging products that are cruelty-free. Besides, rubbing snail snot all over one's face to fight aging sounds a little desperate to me.
Oh gosh that's horrible! Now I'm for sure going to be giving that to my mom! Actually I might just cancel, the only thing I even remotely want is the nail stuff and the soap and after knowing about the snail thing I think I'd rather get a different sub box.

Trying to piece each Country with the Item:

LiSi Items seem to be the USA one. They are based out in NYC.
Bvlgari is for sure the Italian one

but the other 3: Super Aqua, Nail Rock and Eveologie no clue what country they are connected too out of Japan, Germany and France. I would assume that Super Aqua is French but I know someone mentioned they are a Japanese Brand?

Sigh not thrilled with this box but I payed for it already so might as well try em out.

Originally Posted by MaiteS /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Trying to piece each Country with the Item:

LiSi Items seem to be the USA one. They are based out in NYC.

Bvlgari is for sure the Italian one

but the other 3: Super Aqua, Nail Rock and Eveologie no clue what country they are connected too out of Japan, Germany and France. I would assume that Super Aqua is French but I know someone mentioned they are a Japanese Brand?
Sigh not thrilled with this box but I payed for it already so might as well try em out.
Super Aqua is by Missha, which is Korean...

Originally Posted by tanya2013 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just cancelled my sub too. This will be my first box and my last. None of the products I consider high end except maybe the snail stuff and I really don't care all that much about that. The cosmetics I looked up online are drugstore prices. The evologie stuff is a sample I could go online and get for about 3 dollars. The soap is available on amazon for about 8 dollars. Really I could have went online and got most of this stuff myself for about 21 dollars. Where is the value in this box?
I've heard from Koreans that Missha is essentially considered about drugstore level, too. Their "drugstore" level seems to be better than the US, but I wouldn't put Missha as a high-end brand, definitely not.

Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Super Aqua is by Missha, which is Korean...
Ah okay. So they didn't even stay true the country considering they are advertising Japan on it. Darn.

NailRock is from the U.K., The snail stuff is from Missha, which is S. Korean (not Japanese, so weird that they have that country highlighted on their cover photo), Evologie is from France, LiSi is American, and Bvlgari is Italian (Not Germany, so again, wrong country on their cover photo).

I'm so not happy that I signed up for this box.  I think the only time I'll ever sign up for a Glossybox again is if someone cool is curating it.  

Latest posts

Back