Great Highlighters?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd have to say that the universal usage of Stila's All Over Shimmer Duo in Kitten ($29) is pretty awesome. It can be used as a blush - shadow - highlighter- whatevs!

Originally Posted by americanclassic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

what sort of consistency are you looking for in a highlighter (e.g. cream, liquid, powder)? are you fine with glitter, or would you prefer something with a really fine shimmer? do you want something with a more golden, white, or pink undertone?

I personally prefer powder highlighters, since my blush and bronzer are powders too. they're usually very shimmery, but I feel like you have better control in terms of pigmentation. MAC's soft and gentle skinfinish is gorgeous :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. although they're not as glittery as powdered highlighters, liquids like benefit's high beam and moon beam definitely have glitter--if you spread them out too thin, you end up with mostly glitter and no pigmentation (like here, around the edges). both types are lovely, I think it just depends on what you're looking for.

Anything! ..I like powder because it's not messy, but I am fine with any type of highlighter. I'm fine with glitter and shimmer, sheen..I'm looking for a white/golden undertone. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I was at MAC yesterday and I was really close to asking them which highlighter was the best, but I was in a hurry so I grabbed a couple items and left...I'll ask them about that, thanks! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I really love MAC's soft n gentle. I use it all the time and always get compliments on my glowing skin! I also love ELF's blush in "Gotta Glow"

I got the Bobby Brown shimmer *bricks* on a flight from Hong Kong. They were in their onboard shopping catalog and I was a tad doped up on sleeping meds for the long flight, so out came my credit card and out the window went my lack of judgement :) I personally don't like either one of them because they magnify pores and are too sparkly for my liking. I got one in Rose with a 4 color lip palette in it - I think it was limited edition but I didn't know it at the time - and the other is gold tones in a bright gold case wrapped in fake leather type material. Honestly, they aren't worth it. The 2 glosses and 2 lipsticks in the second layer of the rose one are far better than the shimmer brick itself. Fyrinnae's highlighters are much nicer, and far cheaper. They look so nice on for the price I paid I was quite stunned. Very different from any other highlighter I own, and I have quite a few. I wore one yesterday because I didn't have time to do a full face properly and they looked great. I actually made a mistake in my last post. I got the pink and peach ones, not the pink and yellow. They're gorgeous and highlight without making it look like a highlighter was used. Very high quality and velvety soft. Exactly what I would expect from a very good highlighter

LOL @ Satojoko's story. Don't feel TOO bad. I stay away from my PC when I'm on cold medication because I tend to do the same. Remembering about it becomes a blur until I see the charge and go "oh yeah, I bought that when I was sick". LOL

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Watt's Up is on my wishlist! It looks so gorgeous. Some of my faves are:

NARS Copacabana

TheBalm Mary Lou Manizer

Too Faced Candlelight

I second you on theBalm Mary Lou Manizer - it's my favorite highlighter, and you get so much product!

This thread might be dead, but I second NARS Albatross. Its the perfect highlight. I was intimidated at first because it's really light looking and I didn't want to end up looking chalky or powdery. But this highlight shows up wonderfully in person and on camera. Next time you're at Sephora, try it out. I cannot recommend it enough.

In terms of what highlighter would be good, it really depends on what you are putting it over as well as what sort of finish you are looking for.

Benefit's Watt's Up: A creme to powder highlighter. Champagne in color. Not really sparkly, just imparts a dewy look to the cheeks and a pretty highlight to the brow bone. Can be used over liquid or powder foundation without issue.

Too Faced Candle Light Powder: Very pretty, similar to Albatross from NARS. It's pretty much just sheer shimmery glitter. Again, can be used over any base without issue.

Albatross: Pretty, shimmery, a little sparkle.

High Beam: A pinkish/white liquid highlighter. Gives a dewy glow. However, if you wear a lot of powder, not recommended because you'll have a hard time blending it because it'll stick to the powder.

Moon Beam: A pinkish/gold liquid highlighter. Same finish and issues as high beam.

Hourglass Illume Bronze Light Duo: Two products at a reasonable price. One, being a cream to powder illuminator. Really, really pretty on all ages and skin types. Dries to a true powder finish so it doesn't slide around on the skin. Not sparkly. Just a sheer glow. The bronzer in the duo is gorgeous too. I'm very fair, and even I can wear it if applied with a light hand. And it doesn't look orangey. Which is a plus. And it's matte. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Compatible with any foundation.

LOVE Benefit's High Beam. I actually just got the Legally Bronze Kit mentioned below for Christmas and I love everything in it (except the wand on the mascara). But for $40, you get everything full sized. The Bronzer and Highlighter alone, which are products I use EVERY SINGLE DAY cover the cost and then some! Then theres a brown mascara, and the gilded highlight pencil (which is nice for a natural look). 

Originally Posted by xoxelizabeth189 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Have you tried Highbeam by Benefit?

I really like the color.

I got something at Sephora called the Legally Bronze kit and for $40 you get a full sized Highbeam, Hoola Bronzer, Bad Gal mascara and some eye highlighter. Everything was full sized and retails for about $30 each so the deal is really good.

Originally Posted by satojoko /img/forum/go_quote.gifOther really good ones are Fyrinnae's powder highlighters. I ordered samples of the pink and yellow ones and love them both. They're a super creamy feeling powder, seem to be very finely milled, with no sparkle to them, just a beautiful, satiny sheen. They come in 3 shades, are the most natural looking highlighters I've run across so far and can be used anywhere on the face. I love them so much, especially after getting stuck with duds like 2 of Bobby Brown's shimmer bricks, that I'm going to order them full sized once they open up again.
I absolutely hated those Shimmer Bricks. I know it's called Shimmer but good lord it was more like glitter.  Bobbi Brown's line is hardly ever out there so I expected a very lovely sheen but nope, it made me look like a disco ball on my already oily skin. I've only found it useful on the inner corners of my eyes which means it'll last me a lifetime lol.

Originally Posted by Urban DeKate /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Too Faced Candle Light Powder: Very pretty, similar to Albatross from NARS. It's pretty much just sheer shimmery glitter. Again, can be used over any base without issue.
I forgot about Too Faced Candle Light. I love it, too.

Oh hell, I STILL don't remember buying the damn things :) Just give the doped up monkey some pretty colors to look at and let er rip....cough medicine sounds like an interesting buzz LOL

Somebody else mentioned NARS Albatros. That's about my opinion of it. An albatros around my neck. I got it in a NARS limited edition blush/bronzer/highlighter palette and still regret it to this day. Once again a sparkly highlighter that IMO doesn't look good on anybody. Sparkle does not equal 'highlight'.

Just ordered full sizes of Fyrinnae's highlighters today. Can't wait to get them. I've been using the samples daily since I got them on eyes, cheeks, browbones, lips, everything. They're absolutely amazing, with no stinkin sparkle :)

I never understood buying a separate highlighter/luminizer. I think it's because I own a lot of crap eyeshadows though, you find one that's shimmery with low or light pigment, TA DA! Great highlight! You could even use a good eyeshadow with a light hand. And because I have medium to medium dark skin tone there are a lot of bronzers and blushes out there that aren't dark enough for me, so they are my highlighters. I'd rather spend the money on a good blush or bronzer (I want that chocolate one so bad!) and save the luminizing and highlighting for my dud makeup. lol

I've compiled the list of all the highlighters that were suggested in this thread so far, keep them coming if there's more!
I am looking at each and every single one of them reading their descriptions and prices, i'm considering a lot of these :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 
This list might help others who are possibly looking for highlighters, like I am! 

Here's the list (so far): 

Elf - Luminous Bronzing Powder
Elf - Blush in "Gotta Glow" Benefit - Watts Up Benefit - Highbeam 
Benefit - Moonbeam
Bobbi Brown - Shimmer Sticks NARS - Copacabana
NARS - Albatross TheBalm - Mary Lou Manizer Too Faced - Candle Light Powder MAC - Vanilla Pigment
MAC - Soft and Gentle Skinfinish NYX - Mosiac Powder in Highlighter stila - All Over Luminizer  stila - All Over Shimmer Duo in Kitten Hourglass Illume - Bronze Light Duo Fyrinnae - Highlighters  

I love MAC's MSF in Soft & Gentle. It's my favourite highlighter. I also use Vanilla Pigment when I want a more golden result, and Illamasqua cream blush in Lies for a pinkier result.

I really love Moonbeam by Benefit its really pretty you should check that one out! Let me know what you think =]

I use "The Balm Mary Lou".  It got excellent reviews, which was why I ordered it last yr.  I really like it, and use it daily for contouring.

Back