Have you ever had a negative comment about your make-up?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only negative I've received was when I had to prove to a co-worker that I couldn't wear red lipstick.  Even she agreed.  

Nope. When I was thin I use to get complements left and right but now that I've put on (a lot) of weight I don't like posting my face online because I don't want those mean and negative comments. Maybe once I lose my double chin I won't mind doing makeup tutorials and the like but right now I rather not subject myself to cruelty.

I've yet to meet anyone here that is cruel.  I honestly wouldn't put my face on FOTD if I thought it would be met with negative comments.  I like to think of this forum as a safe place where we can all be comfortable with our own beauty (inside and out).  I know I'm here to build up and not break anyone down.  I believe that all the others feel the same as well.  

dito.gif

I've never had a negative comment on MuT.  However, in real life, my brother and dad get on my case sometimes.  They just don't "get" it.  lol!

LOL Well they are men. Most men don't get makeup, shoes and fashion. Their loss. LOL

No, never. I did however recently have a girl comment that my glasses hide my eyes and don't show how good my makeup looks...That bums me out because I just recently started wearing my glasses again. I really like them, but I do spend a lot of time making sure my makeup looks perfect and so I feel like it's wasted if no one can see it. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have from my friend's fiance (well, husband now). I don't remember what he said, and I'm sure it wasn't a big deal, but he got slapped by me, right in front of her for it hahaha

Haha, yeah, loads. I live in a small town with a lot of plain-jane people. I'm no pro at makeup, but I'm honestly not that bad!

I get insults mostly about the colours I wear (brighter ones). I've been called a loooot of slurs by family and schoolmates alike. :/ I just want to wear purple lipstick or teal shadow without being told to go to a street corner, alright?!

I used to wear eyeliner really bad back in high school, and one time I didn't wear any and one of the most gorgeous girls at my school told me I looked really pretty "because something was different." After that I didn't wear makeup for a longggggg time since I questioned my ability. With that said, I've come a long way and now people compliment me a lot on my eyeliner.

Yes, from my parents! My mom thinks I wear too much face makeup (she doesn't wear any usually), and my dad asked once why I wear "all those colors on your eyes" and referred to foundation as "your face paint." 

This is lately an issue going on with my inlaws. There have been problems brewing for the past decade, but since Christmas there has been a huge upswing of snotty and snarky cracks. I'm getting a lot of criticism for wearing red lipstick and perming my hair. Part of this has to do with a small child who is demanding to be allowed to wear bright makeup and who tries to nag and railroad me into giving her mine. (The child is now 6.) I do not like to share my makeup, and regardless I think scarlet lipstick is too mature for very little girls. At first I was told to leave my makeup at home and I said no, the child needs to learn her place and start respecting her elders and the word No; not to mention getting a grasp of proper hygiene. Since that happy little party I have been getting more and more cracks and none of them are very polite.

Someone told you to not use makeup because a Six year old can't understand "no"? I'm sure your reaction was much nicer than mine would have been. Man.... Anyways, not really. My husband will tell me my eyeshadow looks weird sometimes but don't care and his taste is questionable sometimes lol

The very first time I tried makeup I was in maybe 8th or 9th grade and was home alone for a little while. I got bored and busted into my moms (minimal) makeup drawer. She didn't even notice until dinner, then said "you didn't do too bad, but go easier on the eyes next time." That was it and I've worn makeup ever since, but for years I was terrified of having visible eyeshadow, so only wore barely-there nudes. I was in my late thirties before I got over it! Amazing how the littlest things can sometimes have huge impact.

I get very frequent compliments on my makeup from women when I'm in public. BUT if we're talking negative, there's only the fact that guys I date often tell me I don't have to wear so much. I have to say that the whole, "You don't need that! You're pretty without it!" is really more irritating than helpful. I'm sure a lot of you know exactly what I mean, too. ('Cause most of the time they truthfully mean, "Holy crap, do I really need to wait around for you to finish that? Let's just go already!")

Only when I first started wearing makeup by my family (I jumped in with both feet, and didn't know what I was doing).  The comment was only that I needed to go lighter on the bronzer and blush.

I usually never get commented on my makeup...

However, a male acquaintance of mine once told me: "Hey, went for a gothic style today?" just because I was wearing Revlon's Black cherry lipstick, that as the name says, is a deep vampy colour, and I was wearing it to its full intensity. He didn't mean to say that in an offensive way, but I was like "Really? Is a dark lipstick that shocking?"
icon_confused.gif
Hate this kind of men that get all-amazed as soon as you're wearing something particularly noticeable... Thankfully my boyfriend is always happy with my makeup and never critizes...

And secondly, I always feel pressure when I have to get ready to go somewhere where I'll meet my relatives...Most of them are kinda "old-school" and like minimal makeup... They never said anything to me, but I can tell by their looks that they don't appreciate any "detailed" makeups.. So annoying!
keule.gif

Back