Help on letting go of makeup that don't quite work

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, the eyeshadow/nail polish mix is really calling to the artist in me! I know what I'm going to do this weekend.

Ironically, I seem to have a hard time letting go of mascara. I know I'm supposed to toss it after three months, but since I always wind up with two or three on the go, I feel guilty about dumping them all and buying a new one. I got Maybelline's The Rocket mascara since I did the math and realized my newest mascara is about five months old, but I still feel conflicted.

How firm is that rule -- and is it just about bacteria, or the effectiveness of the product as well?

I have mascaras that I've had for longer, but it's mostly because I have so many that I rotate them. I throw it away when it starts to smell or dry up. I think it's mostly a bacteria thing; just something you don't want to chance when it comes to your eyes. But I'm usually only strict with that rule if I'm using one on a daily basis. Which is actually the goal for me, I want to pare down to 2 faves and nothing more!

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You can take old eye shadows and actually make nail polish out of it.
Doing this is a ton of fun. It appeals to the mad scientist in me.

As far as getting rid of it, I am surrounded by female family members so that is never a problem. I have 2 daughters, 2 sisters and a mom who are always eyeballing stuff that I try and don't want. Most of it I just use once and they get it for free. Works for all of us.

Originally Posted by bluelion /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have mascaras that I've had for longer, but it's mostly because I have so many that I rotate them. I throw it away when it starts to smell or dry up. I think it's mostly a bacteria thing; just something you don't want to chance when it comes to your eyes. But I'm usually only strict with that rule if I'm using one on a daily basis. Which is actually the goal for me, I want to pare down to 2 faves and nothing more!
What I really loved about the They're Real mascara was the wand, so I'm thinking of just washing it thoroughly and then dipping it into my The Rocket mascara that I just bought as a replacement because The Rocket's wand is clump city.

I like the rotating idea, but I always worry that I'll just wind up drying all three of my rotating mascaras out and won't have properly used any of them.

It may depend on how many you have, but I haven't had major issues with mascaras drying out too soon. It especially works for me because I used to be in the habit of buying any new mascara that came out just to try it, and usually ended up with mediocre ones that I was just stuck with. So rotating gives them enough use so that by the time I toss them I usually don't feel too bad about it because they didn't work as well.

I also keep wands for mascaras I especially like as back up spoolies, but I've never tried reusing the wand in a different mascara. Interesting. Might have to try that if I can get the wand to fit properly.

I also keep wands for mascaras I especially like as back up spoolies, but I've never tried reusing the wand in a different mascara. Interesting. Might have to try that if I can get the wand to fit properly.
I've done something similar, perhaps it could work in your case... Gently wash the wand like you would a make-up brush in your hand using dish soap until it's totally clean... Usually 2 - 3 times. A bit more if you're washing a waterproof one. You could use tape to tape the wand to ensure an ok seal on another tube. Could be a pain to wrap and unwrap the tape each time you use it, but at least you'll have this option for your fav wand shape. What we Pros use, is those disposable wands, (Alcone sells them), and just pick what shape of spoolie you want. (I believe there are 6 different wand shapes). At any rate, you'll have a positive seal with the stock wand, but you'll never use it. If you want, you can also wash those disposable wands as per my 2nd paragraph. I find they last 4-5 washings before the bristles become too soft and frazzled, then throw them away.

My theory with all of this (and I have hoarding tendancies as well as an enabler fiance) is that if I'm not using it and don't intend to use it, it has to go because all it's doing is taking up space. The first time I do a "spring cleaning" when I haven't done one for a while is SO DIFFICULT (and we're talking all things-makeup, clothes, books, old pots and pans...everything is hard for me to throw away and even donate, though donating is less difficult). After I start throwing things away, it becomes infinitely easier-I'm not completely certain why it becomes easier, but by the time I finish doing it I find that everything that I don't/will never use is gone, and it's such a relief.

If I were you, I'd try getting rid of just one-the one you think you're least likely to ever use-and wait a few days to see if you regret it.

I finally forced myself to do this.

I moved in with my boyfriend 3 months ago and moving was awful in part because of all my stuff. I do not want to repeat that experience!

I had a HUGE cardboard box full of makeup and samples and it was just ridiculous because I am only one person and I literally wear the same 4 colors of everything so there is no point in me having that much.

Honestly, there's no point in keeping stuff that does not work! It's just makeup and it's just going to expire. I try to reframe it like old food. Would I keep a gross container of juice around for months? No!

Just throw it out and chalk it up to a learning experience. The only way I can see how you could get the foundations to work is if you can mix them with moisturizer and make a tinted out using it. That's what I do with colors that are too dark for me and it lightens/evens them out enough that I can get away with it once it's all done.

Try that and see if it works!

For me I just had to throw things out and not worry about the waste or the cost, and use it to remind myself to be careful buying new stuff.

I had foundations that were dried out, lipsticks and glosses that were leaking and smelled gross, old mascaras that smelled rotten, eyeshadows that I would never wear.

It was hard at first but I got rid of a whole trash bag full of old stuff. I had a garage sale and sold/gave away a ton of the samples. I've also been making myself use all my samples up whenever possible.

I somehow have 3 foundations and BB creams despite not really wearing much, so I've been using those all up as much as possible as well.

So I have had 2 shadow palettes for awhile now...I didn't wear makeup when I go them as gifts but now I do. Is it still safe to use them? What do you guys think is the appropriate time (how many years old) for throwing away an unused palette? 

If it's a powder palette, and they basically look and perform the same, I'd feel just fine about still using them. I'm more squeamish about cream/liquid products, and if that's the case, just check for smells or a change in consistency.

I couldn't give you an exact time, because it's different for everyone. However, if I had an unused palette for, say, 5+ years, then I'd definitely consider tossing it. I assume that if it had been sitting untouched for so long, then I probably wouldn't be all that attached to it, or would even miss it.

Originally Posted by bluelion /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If it's a powder palette, and they basically look and perform the same, I'd feel just fine about still using them. I'm more squeamish about cream/liquid products, and if that's the case, just check for smells or a change in consistency.

I couldn't give you an exact time, because it's different for everyone. However, if I had an unused palette for, say, 5+ years, then I'd definitely consider tossing it. I assume that if it had been sitting untouched for so long, then I probably wouldn't be all that attached to it, or would even miss it.
Well it's not that I don't like them, I only started wearing makeup last year and I only started using shadows a few months ago. The palettes are mostly likely 8-10 years old. they are estee lauder and lancome...which makes me sad because i'm sure they were very expensive for my grandma when she bought them for me.

Originally Posted by javagirl87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well it's not that I don't like them, I only started wearing makeup last year and I only started using shadows a few months ago. The palettes are mostly likely 8-10 years old. they are estee lauder and lancome...which makes me sad because i'm sure they were very expensive for my grandma when she bought them for me.
Gotcha. In that case, I'd give them a shot and do some swatches to see if they still perform well. If they do, by all means, use them and enjoy! I don't really have qualms with using dry powder products that have been sitting, as long as they were stored properly and look the same. I would be more squeamish about using liquid or cream items after that long because it's more likely that those types of products will have some sort of texture change.

I have eyeshadows that are least 7 years old and they're still fine. I have a Noxema Covergirl Blush from probably the 90s that was my moms and it's okay too.
If they start smelling really weird though, I wouldn't use them.

My powder eyeshadows/powder products [aside from face powders] seem to be the longest lasting though out of my stuff.

Originally Posted by CaliMel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have eyeshadows that are least 7 years old and they're still fine. I have a Noxema Covergirl Blush from probably the 90s that was my moms and it's okay too.

My powder eyeshadows/powder products [aside from face powders] seem to be the longest lasting though out of my stuff.
awesome thanks! yea they smell fine, the pigmentation is meh, but I think it's because it was a GWP palette lol. Plus i've never found lancome to have very pigmented shadows.

Originally Posted by CaliMel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have some old too faced palettes that I got rid of about a year ago because they were a couple years old and I automatically assumed that they had gone bad. Looking back, I regret chucking them, but at the same time, I hardly used them, so I guess it was a good thing? Sometimes I wish I still had them, because they looked so pretty, hah.

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have some old too faced palettes that I got rid of about a year ago because they were a couple years old and I automatically assumed that they had gone bad. Looking back, I regret chucking them, but at the same time, I hardly used them, so I guess it was a good thing? Sometimes I wish I still had them, because they looked so pretty, hah.
Yeah I may toss one of them anyway. now that i'm looking at it i believe it  was a GWP mini palette from lancome so it's not even like it cost anything! and it's a purple ombre quad and I never wear purple...and the pigmentation sucks. might as well toss it since it's been sitting there for 5 years.

my problem is that my grandma gave it to me...and i hate getting rid of things she gives to me :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back