Help on letting go of makeup that don't quite work

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by javagirl87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah I may toss one of them anyway. now that i'm looking at it i believe it  was a GWP mini palette from lancome so it's not even like it cost anything! and it's a purple ombre quad and I never wear purple...and the pigmentation sucks. might as well toss it since it's been sitting there for 5 years.

my problem is that my grandma gave it to me...and i hate getting rid of things she gives to me :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I know that feeling too! I have such a hard time letting go of anything that was gifted to me, although I'm pretty sure they wouldn't care at all. I say if it's sitting there, and it'll continue to sit there because you don't really wear purple, get rid of it! I just try and tell myself that people wouldn't want me hanging onto all this old junk and clutter. That's what I tell myself, whether its actually true...who knows lol. 

Imagine developing an eye infection that costs $80 worth of medication plus a trip to the doctor and then possibly an opthomologist to treat because of a $10 or $20 tube of mascara. Yuck.

When it comes to items that may or may not be expired - when in doubt throw it out.  Its not worth the health risk.  Use half-inch round avery labels or similar from the dollar store and write the month & year you opened a product and place it on the item so you're sure when it is no longer good so you know when to replace it.

If you bought a foundation or blush or similar that's too dark and you have no tan because its winter then by all means save it until summer.  Vice versa for light products purchased in summer.  Otherwise give it away or just toss it.

I have an excessive amount of nail polish right now and its time to get rid of some of it.  Either I can drop it off at a nearby women's shelter or I could put it in a box marked "free" in the ladies of washroom at work.  Either way, problem solved.

Not sure if anyone's said it but --- swap it away. If they are pump type ones and you are able to sanitize them, whatever items haven't worked for you might be someone else's HG. That, and you might get some items you like in turn.

I have an excessive amount of nail polish right now and its time to get rid of some of it.  Either I can drop it off at a nearby women's shelter or I could put it in a box marked "free" in the ladies of washroom at work.  Either way, problem solved.
Putting it in a box in the women's bathroom at work is an awesome idea! I hadn't thought of that, but now I might do it too, to get rid of some of my unwanted nail polish. I've been trying to swap mine away, but no one seems to be interested in the cheaper ones, so that seems like a great way to give them a new home.

Back