How do anorexics keep from fainting?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by makeupfreak72 /img/forum/go_quote.gif ok first off i'm talking about "anorexia" not just skinny girls in general, obviously there are skinny girls who eat tons and are not anorexic, i GET IT, but the thread IS about anorexia. and when i say all these actress's i mean when you have seen them at healthy weights and all of a sudden you see bones and ribs, , i wonder how they keep from fainting which was my original question, regardless of HOW they got that way. didnt mean to offend the naturally skinny, it was just a question. I agree with a April on this. Also they drink alot of liquids and so the body is tricked into being full but its different for everyone.

if i dont eat like every hour or hour in ahalf i feel really sick and tierd.. .. unless im asleep.. but i sleep alot.. so it might be my body making up the lost meals.. dunno.. but i couldnt do it.. i would be in the hospital in a day lol.. i would be so sick and weak.

Originally Posted by Ten99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif ....."Oh my gosh, you are so skinny! Um, are you anorexic? I wish I was that thin!" People wouldn't make comments like that towards people of larger stature..... Uh, yeah they do. I take it you've never been fat? LOL

Originally Posted by yourleoqueen /img/forum/go_quote.gif Uh, yeah they do. I take it you've never been fat? LOL I think she was referring to people saying I wish I was that thin and are you anorexic, like it's a compliment. People don't usually come up to a heavy person and say, "Oh my gosh you are so fat, are you obese? I wish I was that fat!" Which you would not take as a compliment. When you switch the sentence around to fit a heavy person, it doesn't make any sense! People that are too thin by nature and trying to put on weight can be just as sensitive about their weight as heavy people!

Originally Posted by AprilRayne /img/forum/go_quote.gif I think she was referring to people saying I wish I was that thin and are you anorexic, like it's a compliment. People don't usually come up to a heavy person and say, "Oh my gosh you are so fat, are you obese? I wish I was that fat!" Which you would not take as a compliment. When you switch the sentence around to fit a heavy person, it doesn't make any sense! People that are too thin by nature and trying to put on weight can be just as sensitive about their weight as heavy people! Wooo-saaaaa! Rub your ears! LOL

wow, you know what shocks me? is that we have touched some pretty controversial topics here on mut and yet anorexia sparked all kinds of defensive statements from some of you, i guess this subject is too sensitive for some? dunno why, i just want to know how skinny frail hollywood girls have all the energy to shop and run from the paparazzi, and i'm talking about the ones who OBVIOUSLY have eating disorders, EXAMPLE, amy winehouse (even though we know the drugs are a large part of it) angelina jolie, because we all know her body is not naturally that skeletal, jenna jameson is another who's body is not naturally that way, yet she has energy to party etc. i am NOT talking about the NATURALLY skinny for example, the olsen twins, (who are abviously petite girls).

Yeah, I am kind of shocked how many people try to post some topics and every one jumps in and gets off topic. I know opinions can be stated but at least keep on topic then voice your opinion, it's not hard to contribute in addition to your opinion.

And I agree it's a mix of vitamins, water/being hydrated, diet pills/energy inducing formulas &c. and lots of sleep/rest.

Originally Posted by MissMissy /img/forum/go_quote.gif if i dont eat like every hour or hour in ahalf i feel really sick and tierd.. .. unless im asleep.. but i sleep alot.. so it might be my body making up the lost meals.. dunno.. but i couldnt do it.. i would be in the hospital in a day lol.. i would be so sick and weak. i dont think its your body makeing up for lost meals, your metabolism slows down alot when you sleep, since you say you sleep alot it needs food to fuel it self back up to give you energy. my husband sleeps alot and eats alot and never has energy, i on the other hand suffer from insomia and i eat less than him but i have so much energy, i can sleep for 4 hours at night and you would not be able to tell by the way i bounce around. some people require less than others and dont get the same side effects if they get less sleep or food. others require more i think it has to do with our bodys that are diffrent than each other.

wow' date=' you know what shocks me? is that we have touched some pretty controversial topics here on mut and yet anorexia sparked all kinds of defensive statements from some of you, i guess this subject is too sensitive for some? dunno why, i just want to know how skinny frail hollywood girls have all the energy to shop and run from the paparazzi, and i'm talking about the ones who OBVIOUSLY have eating disorders, EXAMPLE, amy winehouse (even though we know the drugs are a large part of it) angelina jolie, because we all know her body is not naturally that skeletal, jenna jameson is another who's body is not naturally that way, yet she has energy to party etc. i am NOT talking about the NATURALLY skinny for example, the olsen twins, (who are abviously petite girls).[/q uote']

actually one of the olsen twins wasnt NATURALLY skinny, mary kate had a eating disorder, its obvious amy winehouse is petite from her drug use which is why she doesnt eat, not because shes anorexic, i dont belive angelina jolie is anorexic either though i dont know forsure i think its stress related and that shes very active, as for jenna i cant argue the fact she does look sick but from what i dont know she could be anorexic, on drugs or have aids or all of the above. i dont know the honest answer to your question so im gonna guess, people who are underweight there body dont have to work as hard as the ones that are over weight...

I think everyone has made some valid points. I see both issues. Makeupfreak, I hope you didn't think I was rude before, I didn't mean to be.

The only reason I might get defensive about this issue is I think that some people can be quite rude to thin people, just as they are to obese people, and having seen what my sister went through for being thin it's not a culture I encourage.

HOWEVER, I do think you had a valid question, and I think the answer is that they probably do faint. Or maybe they keep very hydrated?

Anyway ladies, please keep it nice, and I'm not directing this at anyone specific at all, I'm just saying from now on
smile.gif

I guess what is upsetting to me is that the OP is already assuming without a doubt that these ladies are anorexic because they are skinny now. I was a fat baby - but now I'm skinny. Or, my mom was as skinny as me when she was a teenager - but after 4 kids - not anymore.

As Han mentioned, them being skinny could be other things (drugs, stress, both?) but to assume as if it is FACT that they have an eating disorder is upsetting to me because that is what people assume I have (anorexia when I am not hungry - bulemia when they see me eating pizza or a burger) - I dont find Angelina, or Amy Winehouse to be anorexic skinny at all. Age and stress are obviously affecting Angelina (shes a goodwill ambassador who travels with 4 kids - I dont think she has time to fatten herself up) but shes not even anorexic skinny. Amy Winehouse is crack skinny - but shes not anorexic skinny.

Not only that - anorexia is not only a physical disease - it is also a mental disease. And I dont see any of the three mentioned to fall under that category. And until they come out saying "I suffered from Anorexia Nervosa" I will not assume that they do.

If I started a thread "How do obese people keep their weight on?" Because for the life of me I dont know how to do it and I am underweight - would anyone be upset? We walk around on eggshells for that topic - but could care less about how we word a topic like this and too bad for those who get upset about it?

Anorexia is a disorder. Being just skinny or just fat is not. There is a big difference between skinny and anorexic. Anorexia does not only include skinny women. The medical community uses the term for anyone who will not eat. Anorexia Nervosa is the clinical term for the type that most of you are talking about so it's a noun not an adjective to describe someone.

We all need to be aware of others feelings here but...........the original question is "how do anorexics keep from fainting" not "how do skinny women keep from fainting". Lets keep it on topic ladies.

Originally Posted by Saje /img/forum/go_quote.gif I believe that to truly answer this topic being that it is about anorexia - we should prob be educated about what anorexia is - so that no one assumes one or the other.
Anorexia Nervosa

NAMI | Anorexia Nervosa

I agree and that top one is a good article.....I'm going back to read the 2nd now.

I put emphasis on the fainting rather than the hollywood comments. You're right, we don't know if any of them are anorexic or bulimic but I think her question was more about how do people whom are sick keep from fainting, not who is anorexic/bulimic.

There's a lot of interesting info in those articles, let's make another thread about bulimia and anorexia to educate other members. It seems to be a popular subject and a lot of members would be interested in reading it.

Originally Posted by yourleoqueen /img/forum/go_quote.gif Wooo-saaaaa! Rub your ears! LOL What does that mean?? LOL
My weight has been all over the charts and it seems like as soon as I get serious about losing weight, people start asking me if I'm eating enough and if I'm anorexic and when I put on weight, they're whispering about it behind my back! So I can relate to both.

You know guys that you don't have to be 80 pounds to have an eating disorder. A lot of people with eating disorders especially bulimia are average and at a normal weight. Being really thin does not mean you have an eating disorder.

And Amy Winehouse have you seen here before pictures? She definitely has an eating disorder. She is way too skinny. Angelina is like naturally skinny and was always thin. BUt Amy Winehouse she definitely has an ED/ Same with Nicole Richie, people who were normal before and then get really scary thin usually have some sort of illness/

my point exactly, only talking about anorexics, thus my comment about the show "intervention" about the girl who had "anorexia" that is why i mentioned the show because the girl was 90 lbs at 5'8" obviously "anorexic", you guys get the point, and like aprilrayne, i too have been 115 lbs, and at my height i looked like a skeleton ( i was also sleeping most of the time), and have also been 170lbs so i relate to both being skinny and being overweight, so i'm not going to walk around egg shells on the issues of it either, the people who got my thread, got it, and i thank those people for clearing me up on some stuff and for ANSWERING my original question, lol!!

Originally Posted by NYchic /img/forum/go_quote.gif Being anorexic doesn't mean you DONT eat at all 24/7. Usually they try to eat as less as possible and fill up on 0 calorie to low calorie foods like green tea, diet soda, coffee, energy drinks and eat negative calories foods once in a while like apples. Exactly, and your body gets used to it after a while, and like others have said take vitamins and drink water. I dropped about 20 some lbs in a month, Id run my *ss of at the gym till i burned 1,000 cals for the day 4 times a week and eat very minimal cals and i was "fine".

Originally Posted by yourleoqueen /img/forum/go_quote.gif Uh, yeah they do. I take it you've never been fat? LOL *just jumping in to say HEY LEO!!*-Nichole (Mermaid on "the other boards", lol!!

Back