How do you apply liner to top lid

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find when I use a powder with a flat thin brush or w/the smashbox cream liners I don't have to pull the lid. when I use the pencils I do, I just try not to pull to drastically.

i do this about everyday, and what i do is: first, the "kohl rim" effect, where I line the inner top part of my lid. second, I start from the inner corner and follow as close to my lashline all the way across. I never do it in one streak, always little by little, and I do it with my eye open. It takes practice, but it gets easier.

since my current eyeliner sucks (it doesnt go on easily and the tip always breaks off) mostly because it was a cheap one i got for a halloween costume...i take the smushed tip and use a wet eyeliner brush to line my eyes kinda like a cake liner...

p.s. dixiewolf, i love your icon...johnny depp would totally sell tons of makeup, maybelline should recruit him and beat revlon's new collections (i think they have some featuring stars like halle berry and kate bosworth soon)

Originally Posted by kaeisme About the only one I use, is my BB gel...and I just get up close to mirror and glide it on... What make liner is BB and I need something waterproof. Does Gel come in Waterproof. Any other brand you would recommend?
rockwoot.gif
bawling.gif

I'm gonna try some the methods mentioned, I've never been able to master lining the top lid so I just stick to the bottom.

closing the eye im goanna line firt then lifting my my eyebrow till there are wrinkles on the forehead lol haha. and pulling it to the side and lining it.

Originally Posted by shootergirlnc i do this about everyday, and what i do is: first, the "kohl rim" effect, where I line the inner top part of my lid. second, I start from the inner corner and follow as close to my lashline all the way across. I never do it in one streak, always little by little, and I do it with my eye open. It takes practice, but it gets easier. I do the same thing, only when I need to get to the innermost or outermost corners of my eyes do I pull ever so slightly. For me it took tons of practice [not to mention alot of eye makeup remover when my liner turned out not so great
wink.gif
]. With the gel and cream liners I start at the middle lid and go towards the outer part of my eye and come back for the inner part (I suck at the inner part). I'd say just practice a lot and I am sure you will develop your own technique! Good luck!!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie to this forum hoping to learn alot and maybe help a little too. I wanted to share some advice that I got from a respected make-up artist. Treat your eyelids as though they're as delicate as Kleenex tissues. I was also an eye puller too until I tested the theory. I laid a tissue out and gave it a tug and it started to tear. Another little trick is to put some eyeliner on a stretched rubber band and let it go. Now you have a uneven, thick, clumpy line IMHO. It is not easy to create that line on the upper lid, but with about 1-2 hrs. of free time,a pencil or liquid eyeliner, and some eye make-up remover. Sit down and get comfortable with how you hold your pencil or brush and soon your line will become smoother and smoother. When using a liquid liner start at the inner corner sweeping outward. Now with a pencil a nicely sharpened point is the key. Everyone has there own style you just have to do what works for you!

Happy 4th of July
trink4.gif

I love to use the swivel eye liners I really like Mary Kay's they are so easy and cheap! I also think they are silkier than the pencil and appled right can stay on longer. Plus I hate how pencils need all the sharpening, and they can break, tear your eye if too sharp, and not easy to use unless sharped? I pull my eye lid and go from either the center of my eye and out or over the whole lid. the best trick to making it look natural I've found is using a sponge brush to smooth it out. That way you are achieving the added zing to your eyes without looking like you just put liner on your lid. blending is the key in achieving anything flawless I think. Good luck!
smile.gif

I like to use either a gel liner, Fluidline, or eyeshadow. I tap the product into my lash line with a slant brush, MAC 266. I can't draw or paint a neat line for the life of me, however, this technique is successful 99% of the time.

I'm def gonna practice applying eyeliner without pulling. It took me forever just to learn how to apply it the WRONG way...I wonder how long it's gonna take me to figure out how to do it the RIGHT way...

Thanks for the tips....if I live to be 100 this will still be a problem, I think!!!

Originally Posted by htlheinz I find when I use a powder with a flat thin brush or w/the smashbox cream liners I don't have to pull the lid. when I use the pencils I do, I just try not to pull to drastically. I also use Smashbox with the flat brush and cream liner. Just press it into the lashline and then if you want to smudge, use an angle brush. No need to pull on the lid. It dries quickly. Lots of colors and easy to do. I start in the middle of the upper lid and work out. Also do lower lash line.

I've read how quite a few doing the pulling & stretching of the the eye lid. It is damaging. Gravity is bad enough. Don't do anything to add to the skin being stretched out. You will so start to regret it by age 35 or so.

I use Aloette's powder liners with thin push brush. I dampen the brush so I can get a nice thin line. Just enough to drop between my lashes for a more natural daytime look. No steady hand needed. it really is more of a dot & squiggle. The thicher you want the line to be the hard you sqiggle. Even if the line does not come out perfectly straight. No one is the wiser.

For those of you who line the inside of the lid area. . .please don't. you are setting yourself up for eye infections. Not to mention the the black goop that settles in the corner of your eye.

For those of you who feel the need to have a less flexible surface to work with, apply gentle pressure to jus under the brow area to hold eyelid still.

I love my Aloette

www.aloette4u.com

When i use a pencil for the top lid, I try to make sure that it's cool or cold, it glides along better. But I mainly now use pot eyeliners. I love Benefits' Babe Cakes, and the Stila gel eyeliner pots as well. They last all day and allow for amazing precision. I have also found that a really stiff short bristle eye brush does a great job with either dry or wet eyeshadow.
ooops.gif

Originally Posted by iandras Try a mineral powder. I used to make a mess of my eyes using the liquid liner. It was too wet and gooey. Then I tried a pencil. It was better, but seemed to drag across my lid and scratch me. I use LaurEss chocolate powder now with a special flat brush andit works great...lasts all day. If I go out at night, I wet it a little and it really stands out....but I like the subtle look best. Where do you buy LaurEss chocolate powder. Is this a mineral liner. Sheila Rose

To apply eyeliner I use a eyeliner brush .This makes it so much easier to apply and the line is thinner and you can get closer to the eyelashes.The brushes are tiny and easy to master .I also use Mac eyeliner .It last forever and glides on its worth the money.

I don't pull the eyelid outwards, I just draw it on my eye when it's open, starting from the inside and going out. It really does just take practice to get the line right.

What I used to do until I mastered it, was do my eyeliner first, that way if the line looks shaky or uneven, a cotton bud / q-tip dipped in eye makeup remover can be used to straighten it up. Then apply eyeshadow and then just go over the line if need-be to make it darker.

Then once you've got the hang of it, you can do it on top of shadow. I used to do the same thing with liquid e/l too.

I never pull my eyelids. Just make sure you have a soft eyeliner, and just draw the top line. from middle of the eye out to the corner

Back