How Do You Back Up Your Files?

Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews

Help Support Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews:

Reaction score
Pictures, Music, Videos, Documents ?

I don't have a CD burner but it really irritates me having a bunch of lousy looking Cd's with my handwriting with a felt pen .. if they would make cooler looking Cd's

I use Xdrive.com

and Mozy.com

Reaction score
does an external hard drive count? it's not always hooked up. only when i need it.

Reaction score
OMG, backing up is so important. This is what I do:

My "My Documents" folder is copied to an external USB hard drive every night at 3am. I wrote a script that checks each file inside "My Documents" for file changes and copies ONLY the files that have been changed. It's a simple batch file that runs on a schedule that I set using this program: System Scheduler, Windows 9x, NT, 2000, XP and 2003 Task Scheduling Software for free. I have it running every night at 3am.

I keep "My Documents" on it's very own hard drive and I keep everything important inside that folder.

My "My Documents" folder is 180 gigabytes so I can't backup to CDs lol.

I don't trust any online backup service at all, I only trust my TWO hard drives. Of one fails, the other has all my files and so on. Never do you get TWO drives failing at the same time.

I might add that MuT's database is backed up, compressed and downloaded to a secure server that is offline unless the backup is happening. This happens everynight at 2am.

I'm a backup guru

Reaction score
I have a Half a TerraByte (500 gig) external Western Digital My Book USB 2.0 drive.. Bought it last weekend for $129 at BestBuy.. Backup all 4 of my PC's with tons of room to spare.. I also have extra 100 gig drives that I installed in each PC to do weekly backup of all data... Plus I have a 200 gig external that I use for critical work backup...

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony(admin) /img/forum/go_quote.gif Never do you get TWO drives failing at the same time. I've seen it happen once, very very rare though. As you also say best way is to create a batch file or scheduled job.
Worst thing to do, imo, is to upload to a backup website.

I however don't practise what I preach and have been back-up free since...oh 2002 I think. Only 240Gb worth of data. If I had myself as a client I'd give myself an ear full down the phone

Reaction score
I will invest in a external drive soon.. very soon

I have been using Mozy for over 2 yrs and never had a problem and I encrypt my private stuff ..

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) /img/forum/go_quote.gif I don't trust any online backup service at all, I only trust my TWO hard drives. Of one fails, the other has all my files and so on. Never do you get TWO drives failing at the same time.

Reaction score
I have important stuff backed up onto CD. Also I'm in the process of getting my 1000s of photos printed and my short stories, etc printed out.

Reaction score
I have stuff like papers and resumes on a cd but i find that to be not the best idea for some reason. Im interested in reading what everyone else does.

Reaction score
I don't have anything backed up... oops. But I guess I don't have anything that important, just pics and music.

Reaction score
When i have to reformat i use cds but my music collection got ridiculously big on here so when that time comes, I'm going to buy an external drive.

Reaction score
i just put the files and burn a cd of it.

like i have tons of makeup cds of like thousands of pictures.

Reaction score
I will burn pictures and important documents to a dvd (has a greater capacity than cd)....has worked so far. Would love to get an external hard drive though

Latest posts