How much have you spent on your subscriptions?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Birchbox (2 Accounts: 1 since May, 1 since July) - $100

Eco Emi - $30 (Canceled)

Conscious Box - $57 (Canceled)

Sample Society - $30 (Canceled)

$217...not too bad, it helps that I get bored easily. 
wink3.gif
  I have also had a Beauty Army account for quite awhile, but never ordered any of my selections, and I check Beauty Fix every now and then...also watching Glossybox, Ipsy, and PopSugar to see if I should jump in!  There are so many to choose from! 

Beauty Army: $48 (Feb-Oct): I like the option of skipping. I've been disappointed a few times and other times I've been pleased. As long as the skip option is available, I'll be sticking with BA

Birchbox: $70 (Apr-Oct): I love that every month I have something to be surprised by lol. For the most part, I'm pretty happy with BB. I don't see myself canceling anytime soon.

Julep: $20 (Feb-Oct): I really want to cancel. The price is really steep for sample sized nail polish. I haven't canceled because my first box was only $.01 and July's boz  was AMAZING! But if it weren't for the skipping option I'd definitely cancel.

MyGlam/Ipsy: $10 (Oct): I'm pleased with them since this is my first bag. I'm really glad that I joined for October's bag. Hopefully, they'll continue wowing me each month.

GRAND TOTAL: $148
I'm proud of myself! That's not bad at all!!!! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> EFF YEAH!​

Ummm do I really want to know even though I really just started on my subbie journey and on going on my 3rd months w/ most of my subs

• Beauty Army- 24 (skipped one month)
  • Ipsy 20
  • Birchbox 20 (thinking of canceling)
  • Julep 40 (but i have shopped alot in there store on products about 80$)
  • My shade of brown 1st month 10
Totalling 194 with out product shoping 114...Not to bad

Since last Dec 8 months of Birthbox = $80 (canceled) 9 months of MyGlam = $90 1 month of Popsugar Must Have = $17.50 (used 50% off coupon) 3 quaters of QVC test tub = $105 3 months of Glossybox = $60 Subscription $352.5 Other Adhoc mystery box perchase ~$650 Total ~$1000

1st thought-, do I really want to add up what I've spent 2nd thought- lets face reality... Birchbox- $110 signed up for yearly- 1st box was march 2012 BB Man- $60 cancelled after 3 months 2nd birchbox- I keep using my points to buy subscriptions- I've spent an extra $20.00 for the 6 month difference Glossybox- $90.00 got a coupon code at some point Julep- 2 boxes $20.01. cancelled My glam- $20.00 on 2nd month Pop sugar must have- approx $125.00 - used coupon codes got a free box, etc. paid til January. Drum roll please....$ 445.01.... Okay that's a lot of $$$$ I could have a new handbag for that but I have to admit its so much fun getting my monthly bags. I also get a great enjoyment of spoilers, box envy, etc here on MUT. Moving forward I think I may cut down a little. I'm thinking to just stay with birchbox and pop sugar, even though glossybox and Myglam have been amazing lately... Decisions, decisions... I'm totally asking for box subs for Christmas...lol! The gift that keeps giving.

MyGlam: Feb - Sept 2012 $80

Birchbox: Annual Sub: $110

BB second sub: March -May, July $40

GlossyBox: May, June, July: $69.15

Sample Society: Mar-Jun, Sept. $75

PopSugar Must Have Box: July $37.71, Sept $18.86, Oct-Dec $64.65 = $120.90

Julep Maven: Sept 2011 - Present. at least $500 between having two sub boxes and add ons. It's probably more but they don't have invoices on the site

----------------------------

Total: 995+

That number is so sad! I could have bought so much stuff on Sephora for that.

But I have to say, I did cut back a lot. I only have the 1 bb sub, since it was annual. I cancelled MyGlam, the second BB, Glossybox, and Sample Society and my second Julep Maven box.

I did buy the 3 months of the PopSugar Bag, but I feel like it really is worth the money.

I have sooo much nail polish from Julep that I'm probably going to start skipping that one for awhile.

But dang, that's so much money I spent on those! Scary!

Birchbox (cancelled) 120 Sample Society 135 Glossy Box 84 NBTT 120 Discover/Marta 48 QVC NBTT (cancelled) 120 Ipsy 10 beauty army (cancelled) 40   677
I have made back, sort of like Souly, about $120 on ebay selling things like those god-awful eyerock things, so $557 is not bad, considering I really haven't spent much other than buying a couple of Korean things off Amazon, some fragrance and some hair products in the last year.

of course, I'd like to know how Souly is selling so much!

ETA: I just subbed to PopSugar, but haven't gotten it yet,

Originally Posted by nelliebelle1197 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Birchbox (cancelled) 120 Sample Society 135 Glossy Box 84 NBTT 120 Discover/Marta 48 QVC NBTT (cancelled) 120 Ipsy 10 beauty army (cancelled) 40   677
I have made back, sort of like Souly, about $120 on ebay selling things like those god-awful eyerock things, so $557 is not bad, considering I really haven't spent much other than buying a couple of Korean things off Amazon, some fragrance and some hair products in the last year.

of course, I'd like to know how Souly is selling so much!

ETA: I just subbed to PopSugar, but haven't gotten it yet,
I'm super picky & only keep maybe 1/3 of what I get. Makeup sells really well :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Birchbox - 50 (thinking of canceling since all 5 boxes have been unsatisfactory)

MyGlam/Ipsy - 10

Sample Society - 60 (canceled)

LookBag - 24? (I canceled after my first bag but got two more for free, and I just resubbed again, so i've paid for 2)

Julep - 80

Little Black Bag - Oh dear...I want to say i've gotten about 25 bags at $55 a pop. So...you do the math lol. I gave up all other subs to use LBB because it's the only one iI get my money's worth from.

Blissmo - 60 (canceled)

Love with Food - free (canceled)

PopSugar - 30 (coupon code)

So for those of you who sold items on EBay... what were the fees? I literally have about thousands of dollars worth of products I've never opened and doubt I'll use but it's the fees that keep me from selling anything.

the fees aren't bad to sell on ebay.

if you have a ton of listings, it costs more, but they frequently offer deals on no listing fee days and stuff like that.

I really should sell some of my stuff on there.

Ebay gives you 50 listings free each month. They charge 9% of each sale (final value fee). Its cheaper than it used to be. Buy it nows - the percentage varies. They charge $.50 for basic buy it now listings. They send you a invoice each month, mine gets deducted automatically.

You can sell lots of things on ebay. I just sold off my sons used angry birds for $175. He had quite a collection but they are used! You can't sell used makeup though.

I sell my kids' clothes as the seasons end. I buy pretty high end stuff for them off season (they are good little soldiers who grow just like the sizes I buy them!).  But it can be a bit of work. I sell things in lots, but would make more money if I sold individual pieces, both with the clothes and cosmetic stuff.

Originally Posted by Souly /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ebay gives you 50 listings free each month. They charge 9% of each sale (final value fee). Its cheaper than it used to be. Buy it nows - the percentage varies. They charge $.50 for basic buy it now listings. They send you a invoice each month, mine gets deducted automatically.

You can sell lots of things on ebay. I just sold off my sons used angry birds for $175. He had quite a collection but they are used! You can't sell used makeup though.

Originally Posted by Souly /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks Souly for the information. Let me add some details:

1. SELLING LIMIT: For new sellers, the monthly listing limit is 10. You have to sell for 3 months before updating to 50. Actually I didn't get updated after 3 months. I called ebay and they updated it manually.

After that, there's still limits on your selling- the "category " limit, which means you can't list too many items under certain category during certain time. Usually it's 10 items for 30 days. I'm sure most of your item will under "make up" category so this would be a problem for you. I had this limit for 4 months and just called ebay yesterday about this issue. They told me since I have good credit it will be  removed next month. I also asked them under which category is there a limit. They told me it's decided by the system and they can't tell... I think it's true because some times I meet limit in category A and sometimes in B. 

2.FEE: there are two types of listing: bid and buy it now  and two types of fees for each listing type: insertion and final value.  For bid type, insertion fee is usually free unless you list more than 50 items or if you add features to your listing (like more pictures, bold title... ebay labels price with each feature so don't worry about hidden fees). For buy it now type, insertion fee is usually 0.5 per item.

Finally value fee is about the same (I'm not sure) for both listing types. It's about 10% of the item's (price+ shipping).

If your item are not sold, ebay won't charge final value fee.

3.STRATEGIES: It's exciting to see that buyers bid crazily at your item and the final price actually exceeds the original price at which you bought it- but that RARELY happens unless your item is really rare. So don't expect too much on ebay. As a part time second hand seller I'm just selling old items to avoid wasting them and make room for other things.

If you are on a moving and can't wait to clear out your stuff, choose bid type (usually 7 days duration) and set a low start price to attract eyes. Don't be afraid that the final price would be super low- usually it goes up unless the item is really worthless. According to my experience, the average final price is about half of the original price (that really depends on what you sell... hot items sell at higher price of course. My items are not so popular after all).

If you have enough patience and don't want to take risk (your item may be sold at super low price in bid type) and have confidence in your item, list it at a reasonable fixed price. Wait till someone buy it. $0.5 insertion fee is not so much if you are selling a $30 eye shadow palette.

Plus, you can sell multiple items as a "lot" in one listing so as to save trouble. For example if you are going to sell 10 bottles of nail polishes, taking photo of each, listing for 10 times and packing for 10 buyers would be so tiring. 

I feel there is  still a lot to say but can't remember at this time. So let me take a break.

Hope this can help. If anyone here is going to open a sale on ebay, please let me know- I don't want to miss any deal! 

Since I hopped on this bandwagon, lol which was Dec 2011 up to Nov 2012.

Myglam/Ipsy - 11 mos - $110.

Birchbox - 3 mos - $30.

GlossyBox - 2 mos - $42

Julep - introductory box - $5

$187 for a year and I'm pretty satisfied - I'm not anywhere near as bad as some of you =P

SOULY, YOU ARE SO SMART SELLING UNUSED SAMPLES ON EBAY asdfghjkl

Birchbox   110

Myglam/Ipsy  110

Glossybox 80

Blissmo 60

Ecoemi132

Consciousbox 110

Popsugar 90 + 100(lux box)

Yikes $792 and I'm probably forgetting some.....

The price of my subscriptions are:

$10 Birchbox

$10 Ipsy

$22 Glossybox

$12 Look Bag

$12 Love with food

$10 Petit amuse

$30 Smplrs

$30 Knosh Box

$35 Pop Sugar

$12 Beauty Army

$25 Mirenesse

$25 the big pink box

$18 momme box

$20 Julep

Bi monthly-

$38 Test Tube

$25 Luxe Box

$3,464 a year

Birchbox - 13 months = $100 (got my first 3 months of BB as a gift)

Ipsy - $0 (first 2 months have been gifts)

Glossybox - $42 (cancelled after 2 months)

Julep- $5.01 (1 box at $.01, 1 box at $5, 1 box free - cancelled after that)

So $147.01...not so bad after looking at some of the totals on here :p. I sold two small lots of unused samples on ebay for ~ $25 so that brings my total down to $122.01.  I've liked a lot of the items I've received so I think I'll stick to my two subs. For $20/month (I'll pick up paying  for my ipsy bag in December) I think it's a nice amount to spend on myself - just one less trip to Starbucks per week! Anything more than that and I think I'll start feeling bad - like I could be using the money towards something else besides a grab bag/box.

But what does add up is trading on MUT! It's too much fun trading but a few dollars here and a few there ...geez!

And about ebay:

I have a love/hate relationship with ebay...or as I like to call it FEEbay. It's a great because I get to reach a huge audience to sell my stuff. It's horrible because not only does ebay take a cut from the final fee value, but paypal takes a cut as well when it processes the payments and ebay owns paypal....the double dipping is such a turn off. So with a lot of items listed on ebay, it's not auction style anymore but buy it now listings as sellers have to make sure their items sell at a price high enough to make it worth while to sell on ebay. And ebay is NOT seller friendly - they will pretty much side with the buyer in any given situation. So now I tend to stick to selling on ebay only when it comes to items that can fetch a good price easily - like old electronics (iphones especially) - and name brand clothing (mall brands like banana, jcrew do especially well since they are easily recognizable to people). I've seen large makeup sample lots do really well and some sellers list by the piece and can fetch high prices, but it's a pain to list items like that since selling on ebay is not my job.

oh ebay... I would quit you if craigslist was less sketchy and scary.

$60 Birchbox

$60 Ipsy

$0.01 Julep

$120.01 total! I'm totally down with spending $20 a month on Birchbox and Ipsy! Subscription boxes are so fun and $20 a month isn't bad at all.

Back