How Often Do You Exfoliate?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2-3 times a week, with an at-home microdermabrasion product (currently MAC`s Microfine Rifinisher, which I love)

I'm using a very mild tretinoin cream now and haven't had any redness or visible peeling. I use a gentle face scrub about once or twice a week. (But maybe I should ask my dermatologist if this is okay).

Every other day. Because I have such dry, sensitive skin I simply use oatmeal, a tiny bit of sugar mixed with a freshly squeezed ctirus like lemon, lime or orange juice. . .

Works great!

I have oily/acne skin so I exfoliate 3x a week using St. Ives apricot scrub. i exfoliate frequently to remove dead skin and prevent my pores from getting clogged.

I exfoliate at least once a week, or whenever I feel I need it. I use St. Ives renew and firm. I love it!

Originally Posted by L165 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Can exfoliation ever be dangerous? How can you be positive its safe? Dangerous i think is not the most appropriate word. We all have different skins, so some of us, especially sensitive skins, have to use very gentle scrubs, others can use some a little more abrasive. Then when you have found the right scrub, you have to make sure you don't exfoliate too often. Sure you think you get a "glow" because scrubs remove dead cells and impurities, but if you do that too often, you strip your skin of moisture, and it will retaliate by producing more sebum to compensate, it's a vicious circle.

I use a gentle scrub 2-3 times a week. If I do it more than that I find that my skin gets really irritated and turns red.

Originally Posted by Adrienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif I exfoliate every other day. All I do is add a teaspoon of regular granulated sugar to my regular cleanser (Clean and Clear foaming cleanser for sensitive skin) and scrub gently. My skin is baby soft and smooth. You know, Adrienne, that is positively Brilliant!
I am going to try that
smile.gif

I really like St. Ives scrub. I have a hard time with it though because even though I don't have sensitive skin, I find it too harsh for my skin. It irritates my acne. Maybe I scrubby-scrub-dub to hard =/

I exfoliate twice a week I use a facial exfoliating sponge with my. Clinique acne solution I use my Clinique everyday but only exfoliate with it twice a week

I use an enzyme peel once a week, a scrub twice a week, and a deep pore cleanser (Shea Terra Rose Hips Black Soap, which also exfoliates) on the off days. Sounds like a lot, but it is the best way to keep my skin soft and clear.

I exfoliate every other day with Control Corrective's Medicated Pumice Wash. I have acne-prone skin and that helps to keep it under control!

Usually around 3 times a week. My skin is pretty tough and I love exfoliating. I use Lush's Ocean Salt once a week and Vasanti Brighten Up the other two times. Ocean Salt is my favorite but it's a little harsh for using more regularly, plus it's pretty pricey.

My face: Usually about 3x a week w/St. Ives Gentle Apricot Scrub for sensitive skin

My body: Daily w/a loofah used with a moisturizing body wash

I usually do once or twice a week. I have sensitive skin so I pat on my scrub and let it sit as a "mask" for a couple minutes and then rinse off. It never leaves my face irritated this way.

New to understanding exfoliation here..

Is it good to help clear up acne for sensitive skin?  And would the granulated sugar be too harsh for sensitive skin?

I do minor exfoliation every day (very minimal scrubbiness =p ) and a major exfoliation once a week, which is really all my skin can tolerate without freaking out. I use St. Ives apricot scrub. I use my special exfoliation day as a sort of at-home spa day. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Long hot bath, bath fizzy, hair mask, exfoliate, cleanse, face mask- then serums/moisturizers...the works. =p

Quote: Originally Posted by LadyTam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  New to understanding exfoliation here..

Is it good to help clear up acne for sensitive skin?  And would the granulated sugar be too harsh for sensitive skin?

I think exfoliation (at least in my experience and many others I know) is good for skin in general. I think sugar should be fine, maybe mix it with something soothing (There are tons of different recipes out there- find what looks good to you!) and I suggest starting with doing it just once a week. Let your face warm up with hot water for a while, then take your scrub (I use st. ives sensitive apricot scrub) and firmly-not roughly-work the mixture in circles around your face. Don't overdo it. Rinse it off-I usually cleanse my face afterwards, but you may find you don't want to do that-  but I do recommend a good moisturizer afterwards! If your skin is anything like mine, if you don't apply a moisturizer, your skin will produce extra sebum to make up for what it lost, and that's not pretty! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hope I helped... I'm sure other people here will have some fab advice as well!

Granulated sugar maybe too much for your skin.  You may be developing rosecea which also has pustuals and papules in its early stages but consult a dermatologist to make sure.  Ideally you want to exfoliate your skin on a regular basis to remove the build up of dead keratinized cells on the top layer of the epidermis and maintain clear hair follicles free of sebum and cell matter.  There are several different methods of exfoliation so make sure that the one you choose is appropriate for you skin type and skin tone.  And ALWAYS protect that freshly exfoliated skin with a moisturizer with a minimum of SPF 30.   Because you have sensitive skin, it can't tolerate much therefore I would recommend an enzyme mask or peel.  Image has a great Vital C one and Glo has a pumpkin enzyme mask.  They are great for all skin types!  Enzymes help breakdown the dead skin cells on the top layer of the skin and are much safer.  Look at the product ingredients to make sure there isn't anything that will cause a reaction or inflammation.   As for myself, I exfoliate my skin everyday.  Estheticians get all good stuff!  I have mild adult acne that can flare up from time to time so I use a salicylic cleanser twice a day to help with my oily skin.  In the morning after I cleanse I apply a medicated lotion with a salicylic blend to keep my oil and acne under control.  At night I use a retinol-a cream which has glycolic as my repair cream.  (Salicylic and glycolic are chemical exfoliators that help remove oil and dead cells keeping hair follicles unclogged.)  Then depending on how my skin feels, I will do an 20% enzyme peel after I dermaplane every 4 weeks.  In between I might to do a glycolic mask followed by and enzyme mask.   In the fall and winter I will make a sugar scrub with coconut oil and essential oils for my body.

Back