How to get mineral foundation to stay on my face!!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have that problem when i work under air con. T zone gets extra oily. I blot my T zone, use a primer then a matifying stick on my nose before i apply powder. it works though!

Ladies, I just bought Bare Escentuals Prime Time Oil Control Primer.  $21 at Sephora, and you only need one pump for your whole face. It makes your mineral  makeup stay on all day - I barely need to touch up all day!

I'm new to mineral make up but a sales lady told me that you need some kind of base for all mineral foundations (she said to just use a lotion- either sunscreen or moisturizer) and any type would work. I have yet to experiment but it's worth a try and not as expensive as some alternatives.

Yes, because minerals are inert in their pure form, they need something to stick on your face. That's why manufacturers may add something to the combination of titanium dioxide and zinc oxide. I would advise you to wait until the last product you applied has sunk in.

Be careful as some sunscreens can make you look a bit more white when you apply a mineral foundation over (although i've only had this problem with EDM's intensive foundation). That's one of the reasons why i apply my moisturizer after my sunscreen, and to avoid my moisturizer being sucked out by the mineral foundation, i apply primer too. That's what works for me.

Not to split hairs here-but inert doesn't mean there is no adhesion to the product- it means that is is chemically inert- and will not alter in structure- such as minerals are inert and unless moisture is added do not require a preservative because they are incapable of growing, harboring, or breeding bacteria. also if your mineral foundation is made properly it should have adhesion without "using something to stick it to your face"  Both titanium Dioxide and Zinc oxide offer adhesion as one of it's base qualities- they also offer opacity Which is where the coverage mainly comes from), Spf, and Zinc can even promote healing. ( the last two may NOT be claimed on a label without Rigorous  and expensive testing and approval from the FDA as these claims push the product into the Drug rather than cosmetics category)  These two products, however,  increase drag on the skin- meaning it doesn't glide nicely onto skin, or feel creamy- etc- that is why formulators then add things to improve the slip (skin feel) it's a delicate balance of ingredients and pigments to create a wonderful looking, feeling, and performing foundation. unfortunately there are many mineral products out there that just have micas in a jar- whether repackaged from a wholesale manufacturer or made themselves- and a lot of mineral makeup is getting the reputation of just underperforming. Read the labels- you should see more than just mica on the label.

here's a blog post I wrote in March regarding this very topic: http://fortunateface.blogspot.com/2011_03_01_archive.html

Right now I use Smashbox Light primer since it's their better formula for oily skin, but yes, kind of expensive. I find it does help keep the makeup on my face, but as the day goes on I still need to do touch ups or use an oil absorbing product if I'm wearing it for 8 hours. Since I started using mineral makeup, though, I been doing some research into more natural powder primers by indie companies online. I had no idea the vast amount of options that are online, its also one of the reasons I joined this forum.

You need a good primer and a setting mist, I use it myself and love it, it is fantastic! but not sure if I am allowed to post the brand I use on this forum. Contact me private for details.

Try the DMAE Supreme serum from I'M FABULOUS® it is a clear gel, full of anti-aging , and the skin absorb it within 5 minutes giving you a great lift and making your mineral foundation stay and your skin looking air brushed. Great for acne prone skin, it is organic, fragrance, silicone and oil free! I use it every morning.

i spray my brush already but i shall keep an eye out for the gel. I've herd good things about it but if its as good as all that i'm sure i can get it on the net somewhere. Only problem is i may have to get it on line but if it stops my nose from being bare i'll look lol

Originally Posted by LisaF1163 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ladies, I just bought Bare Escentuals Prime Time Oil Control Primer.  $21 at Sephora, and you only need one pump for your whole face. It makes your mineral  makeup stay on all day - I barely need to touch up all day!
I second this reccomendation. Bare Escentuals Prime Time Oil Control Primer is a must for me if I'm wearing mineral foundation.

If you wear a good mineral makeup that does NOT contain fillers like Bismuth Oxychloride then it will stay on your face all day and stick like a cream or liquid. Another thing that works is putting a good moisturizer on first. I use oil of olay Regenerist, then I put on Exact Match Mineral Makeup. It sticks and stays on all day because of the Titanium Dioxide ingredients. It also absorbs extra oil in the tzone region. 

www.exactmatchminerals.com

www.oilofolay.com

I use mineral foundation from Lily Lolo. It stays on all day long with just a regular face lotion as base. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

If you like lily lilo try Everyday Minerals foundation - so much better and so much cheaper than Bare Minerals and it doesn't contain bismuth so it's kinder to your skin.

I love glominerals face primer, It's only around £12 and gives a fantastic even base for use before foundation. It also helps control shine and is tailored for use with their mineral make up x

How is Bare minerals Prime time original vs. oil control? Is it a big difference? I have only tried the normal one but I could use the oil control and esp. for summer time.

Back