I feel horrible buying HE (High End) makeup

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by TulipFields /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I also stick with low end products, since I don't earn enough to splurge a lot on HE stuff, most of what I have is from gifts. However, I found that expensive doesn't always equal to good, nor is cheap equal to bad. My BareEscentuals foundation always makes my face look unnatural, makes my pores seem larger, whereas my ELF mineral foundation gives a more natural finish and costs a lot less. I have a nearly mini-size pot of BE lying around since I don't want to use it anymore!

I want to buy Cliniques Black Honey and some skincare item so I get a BonusTime gift, but its going to cost a lot anyway- I started saving money but still feel guilty! I mean, £35 is the amount my mum spends on a weekly food shopping!

That's how much it costs to get a bonus? Here if you spend $21.50 (13 pounds...wow I can't believe that's the conversion rate, the dollar is really bad >.<) you can get a bonus.

Originally Posted by janetgriselle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's how much it costs to get a bonus? Here if you spend $21.50 (13 pounds...wow I can't believe that's the conversion rate, the dollar is really bad >.<) you can get a bonus.
Well, you have to buy two items, and one has to be skincare, and seeing as Almost lipstick is £15, skincare items are £15-£20, its at least £27. That's a good deal that you have! If it was available here, I'd have only bought one item at the time :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I will have to see what the bonus is like- not worth spending extra £15 for three mini sized samples in a clear plastic bag.

I often get high end stuff from magazines, both mini and full size

If you lust after one particular item for a long time, chances are you'll use it quite a bit once you get it. For example, there was these four MAC shadows I was just ridiculously obsessed with, because this one Youtube guru had done this great look with them. So I bought them after much deliberation, and do you know what? I use them almost every day. It was worth it. I also have one mascara I shelled out $24 for (ouch!) but I literally use that every single day. There are just some things you can justify spending on, and some that you can't.

there are some products that're good to invest on, because the quality really makes a difference. HE foundation usually has better coverage, and HE eyeshadows are usually high pigment and long-lasting. but, i say "usually" because this isn't always the case. the best thing to do is try on the product at the makeup counter, then see throughout the day how it behaves on your skin. there will always be expensive brands that're crap (excuse my french), and at the same time there could be LE products that surprisingly work. you can do some trial and error, then buy the ones that work on you once you've tested. i generally invest on concealers, foundation and eyeshadows by NARS and MAC, which are considered to be HE here in Manila because they really make a difference in the photographs of the shoots i do. then i have more freedom to play around with LE on blush, bronzers and lipsticks. hope that helps! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Makeup-by-Ria-Gamboa/123851837708890

http://makeupbyriagamboa.blogspot.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/makeupbyria

First I think you  have to understand that just b/c it's High End, doesn't mean it's of high quality.  And a lot of these higher brands, their parent company owns these lower end brands and there's a lot of cross over.  For instance, Estee Lauder owns Flirt (at Kohls) and Flirt is more fun, if you ask me, and half the cost of (or nearly) Estee Lauder products.  Secondly, if you don't want to buy higher products, don't.  No one is twisting your arm to spend more money.  Magazines will always tout one brand over another b/c those brands buy up ad space or stock in the magazine.  For me, I will mostly buy lipsticks, nail polish, eye liner and mascara at the drugstore only, though I do love MAC lipsticks.  I will spend a little more at the department store for foundation (Clinique).  And every now and then I will splurge on an item I know I will get a lot of use out of.  I love blush, I bought the Pink Leopard bronzer from Ulta, which I use as a blush, can be used as bronzer too.  And I don't regret buying my Orgasm NARS blush but I'm a blush lover so it was worth the splurge.  Lastly, in an outlet nearby they have a beauty store that sells Estee Lauder products at a discount. You don't get their full line and maybe not their latest products but you get a lot of great department store brands at a fraction of the cost.  It sells other EL brands too such as MAC, Clinique, Origins and Bobbi Brown.  I have nearly 30 MAC lipsticks b/c they're only $10 instead of $14 at the department store.  And if you have an ULTA and subscribe to their magazine, they often send you coupons in the mall like $10 off (I forget the limit you must spend)  but in any case, there's many, many, many ways to save on makeup but it's up to you and what's important to you!!

I feel bad about buying crappy high-end products, especially when you find out that there's a drugstore equivalent that's just as good if not better.

but a good high-end product that I've been wanting for a while? definitely worth it. esp because makeup doesn't run out quickly. like the $25 gel liner I bought in october, which I've used daily since--a better "deal" than some $8 gel liner I bought that I only wore a couple times bc it wasn't as good. as long as you don't buy anything you'll never use to begin with, don't feel guilty :]

I feel bad buying HE stuff mainly because a lot of my purchases are impulse buys and we don't really have the money for it. To be honest, I used to be kind of a makeup snob. I would rarely ever buy drugstore stuff. I have so many HE products that rarely get used, so even the whole "the price is worth it if you use it" argument isn't one that I can use. 

Sometimes I do because I feel like what I bought either is not worth the money or is not something that I would use a lot. So, before I purchase something expensive I make sure that I can afford it, and I will use/wear it. 

I wouldn't feel guilty about buying it, if you actually use and enjoy the products. That's the only thing that matters!

I use a mix of drugstore stuff and "high end" stuff, just because I've found that some cheaper products, like foundation, totally mess up my skin. So I switched to Bare Minerals, and totally love it. I don't regret spending the money because I know I'll use every single bit of product, and it's not a waste.

I also like higher end brushes after using cheapo ones my whole life. I realized what a total waste the cheap brushes are, so now I don't buy them anymore.

I like higher end lipsticks, because they don't smell like crayons, and have nicer formulas. I usually don't like lipsticks, but MAC ones are soooo pretty and nice that I really love them.

Mascara and eyeshadow, I go mid range. After getting expensive ones and seeing the difference in the formula, I don't use cheap ones like Mark Makeup anymore because they're chalky and less pigmented. I have good luck with Wet N Wild stuff though and they still make my "go to" concealer.

I think that it's better to use what works for you and that you enjoy using, no matter what it costs.

I like to mix HE and low end products. MAC for concealer and powder but Maybelline mascara and CHEAP lipstick. My skin-tone is hard to match, MAC is the only company that works.

I forgot to add this, but when buying HE stuff I try to purchase sets since they are often a better value. For instance, I just bought the Benefit Legally Bronze set which costs $35, and all of the stuff in there is full-size. It would have cost way more to buy all of the items individually, so I don't feel so bad buying this set.

I used to splurge everytime I go to sephora on their eye cream, moisturizers, cleansers etc.!! But I recently discovered that korean brands are so much cheaper and economical and actually work better for my skin (i'm asian). I think I actually use more now (hahahah) cuz they're cheaper but it's so nice to be able to use mask sheets and scrubs etc. more often cuz you're not as concerned about price. I buy most of my stuff now from www.momomango.com

Back