I'm going back to being a Vegetarian...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good for you too.

I eat meat but I understand and respect how you feel about the animals. It's especially obvious if you keep them as pets. I couldn't eat rabbit, knowing that my little baby could be their relative! it really brings it home a lot more, Which I suppose is double standards, since I eat other types of meat, but still.

I have low iron as well, so for me, while going vegetarian would by no means be impossible, it would be a lot more hard work to keep the iron levels up than it is at the moment with the occassional steak
smile.gif

But anyway, seriously, I feel really good about this for you! go Amanda!

Good on you. Going vegetarian was seriously the best thing I ever did.

Congratulations on following your original beliefs! I've been a vegetarian 2 years now, best decision for me too.

I agree it's easy to get everything you need to survive and be happy without killing an animal. I also don't eat dairy, but that's because I'm a bit picky ha ha!

Amanda, I think it is great that you have come to the decision not to eat meat.

I grapple with this dilema all the time. A few years ago, I went 6 months without eating meat or meat products. But I also gained about 10 pounds because I was always hungry. I found that plant based proteins did not fill me up the way animal based protein has.

Curious, does anyone know of a vegetarian diet that will meet all my nutritional needs, keep me from feeling hungry, and I will not put on weight?

Manders!!! I was truthfully wondering why you ate meat if you were such an animal lover. IMO, nobody take affense heh, if you eat what you love, thats not really loving it is it? Especially considering how it came to be on your plate.

I was excited to see this, being a former veg. now for 4 years. Good luck Amanda
smile.gif

And just so you know, I often forget about my very strong feelings until I too see a farm animal, or am reminded of it in some way. Usually when I get emails from peta. (But I don't eat it, I just start to feel well it's not so bad, then I realize that is really is cruel and I do not want to support it in any way)

Originally Posted by Carolyn /img/forum/go_quote.gif Amanda, I think it is great that you have come to the decision not to eat meat.I grapple with this dilema all the time. A few years ago, I went 6 months without eating meat or meat products. But I also gained about 10 pounds because I was always hungry. I found that plant based proteins did not fill me up the way animal based protein has.

Curious, does anyone know of a vegetarian diet that will meet all my nutritional needs, keep me from feeling hungry, and I will not put on weight?

I am not sure of this, but I hope you find something that works. Have you tried veggie burgers and fake meat products?

I have nothing against vegetarians or non-vegetarians, I think it's just a personal choice and I would also respect it if my husband ever decided to become one. I personally feel I could never do that, I'm sooo used to meat. YUMMMMM! lol

That's great Benebaby!

I have a question. When you started eating meat again, were there any adverse side effects? I know someone who had a hard time eating meat after being a vegetarian for so long--her body was not used to it.

Originally Posted by aplsmash /img/forum/go_quote.gif That's great Benebaby!
I have a question. When you started eating meat again, were there any adverse side effects? I know someone who had a hard time eating meat after being a vegetarian for so long--her body was not used to it.

I did have a hard time adjusting. It was really hard to digest! I would get cramping and.....TMI....diarrhea. It took me about 6 months to get back to normal.

Savvy- My chickens didn't stink at all. They lived in a heated/cooled coop and were very spoiled. I would pet them and carry them around. I didn't live on a farm, but had enough space to have them roam free.

Cute! I like piggies , despite their smell...

Go, Amanda . I'm a steak-a-holic as well as your boyfriend, but i admire who is able to follow his/her beliefs

IMO I don't think theres anything wrong with PETA protests and what not. Think about it. We (in general) as people don't tend to think about animals unless their our pets. But...we are supporting the DEATHS of other living creatures that feel pain just like us. I don't think we should even have the option to take another animals life (which includes eating it) just the same as with humans. So I have no problem with protesting and getting upset at it.

"In their behavior toward creatures, all men are Nazis. Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought."

I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being.

oh and heres something to ponder..lol. love this one.

"If a group of beings from another planet were to land on Earth -- beings who considered themselves as superior to you as you feel yourself to be to other animals -- would you concede them the rights over you that you assume over other animals?"

Originally Posted by MindySue /img/forum/go_quote.gif IMO I don't think theres anything wrong with PETA protests and what not. Think about it. We (in general) as people don't tend to think about animals unless their our pets. But...we are supporting the DEATHS of other living creatures that feel pain just like us. I don't think we should even have the option to take another animals life (which includes eating it) just the same as with humans. So I have no problem with protesting and getting upset at it. "In their behavior toward creatures, all men are Nazis. Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought."

I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being.

oh and heres something to ponder..lol. love this one.

"If a group of beings from another planet were to land on Earth -- beings who considered themselves as superior to you as you feel yourself to be to other animals -- would you concede them the rights over you that you assume over other animals?"

When it's pacific protests, that's okay. But then there's people who destroy decades of hard work in the laboratories. It's too sad to see something that you worked your entire life to 'get flushed down in the toilet' . Like some people here who destroyed a lab filled with seeds that were decades of work because they were 'transgenic' , and some of those seeds didn't exist anywhere else, which means they could no longer be reproduced.
I know because i've been working on the same project for 3 years and many times i got frustrated because it wasn't giving me results, imagine if someone came and then destroyed all that work, all the weekends (last year i was in the lab almost every Saturday and Sunday) and nights i spent working and smelling ether and getting frustrated because things wouldn't go right and everything.

People forget sometimes that researchers are people also and they have a heart, and a lot of them put their hearts and their spirit on their researches.

This is my opinion about eating meat: Cows, chickens, lamb.. all were bred and developed to feed us. Are we pissed at cavemen for killing wild beasts and bringing it home for their people to eat? What are cows for? I can't imagine having a cow as a pet or seeing a cow running wild in the forest.. is that what PETA wants? What we should really be focusing on is the people who kill intelligent animals for food (like dogs and cats) and sell their genitals in cans. I am all FOR scientific research on rats and mice for cancer and other diseases that harm humans. (who else are they going to experiment on.. us??) and seriously.. do we feel bad for rats and mice when they infest our homes?

Ummmm....please don't make this a thread on animal rights. That subject is far too heated and could end up going bad very easily. If I see it going all political I will asked to have it closed.

I am on Day 4 and feeling really great!! I ate a lot of fruit and nuts yesterday...like a little squirrel.

You said you Smell better, lol, I;m vegertarian, too, and once my friend got my this bumper sticker that said "Vegetarians taste better", haha. Not that I believe it, but it was funny.

Originally Posted by Jesskaa /img/forum/go_quote.gif I wish i could just decide that. But it would never workout. I'm like you !

Originally Posted by MissMudPie /img/forum/go_quote.gif That's great! I think that some people are naturally better off (healthier and happier) as vegetarians. I'd much rather eat fruits and veggies, but living with my parents (who pretty much have red meat at every meal) makes it pretty impossible.

i am in the same situation. though i feel i'm more lucky, my mom being on a diet and allergic to gluten, we have to resort buying some food in organic stores (well, i do
smile.gif
) and we avoid eating red meat, that's the least we can do.i don't like much meat myself and try to avoid eating it when i can, luckily i love tofu and quinoa which both contains lots of proteins.

good luck to you Amanda !!

I've been vegetarian for 15 years and I feel great... I do find that some meat-eaters (bizarrely) take offence though, so I tend to keep quiet about it, as life is too short for so many arguments.

Back