I'm going back to being a Vegetarian...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I know what you mean, people can be really funny about it!! One I get a lot is people telling me they don't trust vegetarians!! WTF's that about?!?

"I have low iron as well, so for me, while going vegetarian would by no means be impossible, it would be a lot more hard work to keep the iron levels up than it is at the moment with the occassional steak "

You can get the iron from plants,too. The best is stinging nettle - if you don't want to eat it, you can drink nettle tea or take a few drops of tincture. It was prescribed for me by a homeopathic doctor

Originally Posted by gabyk /img/forum/go_quote.gif "I have low iron as well, so for me, while going vegetarian would by no means be impossible, it would be a lot more hard work to keep the iron levels up than it is at the moment with the occassional steak "
You can get the iron from plants,too. The best is stinging nettle - if you don't want to eat it, you can drink nettle tea or take a few drops of tincture. It was prescribed for me by a homeopathic doctor

Yeah,, but it's a lot harder to manage to keep regular iron levels with plants - they have a trivalent molecule of iron (don't remember the exact name right now) that has to be broken in a molecule with 2 of iron . But if you need help , take a lemon or orange juice along, so it'll help on that breaking.
Animal sources already have the bivalent molecule, so it's easier to absorb - at least to small kids , it's better not to give them a vegetarian (or vegan, which is even worse for them) way of life, because it gets too hard to them mantain their weights and gain more (because of their metabolism, that is fast - because they're small and have more difficulty to mantain their temperatures, and also because they're always growing). So , when you have kids, despite you might not like it, give to them at least poultry or some organic red meat - your pediatrician will thank you. Or at least eggs and a bit (not much, but that's another topic) of milk.

Why i say that? Because many parents, because of their beliefs, don't like the fact that little kids need some kind of meat/animal protein, because otherwise they won't gain weight and won't grow - several pediatricians have already told us in class that they saw kids that looked like and weight/measure like they starved like a poor kid who only eats carbs , but because the parents would give them a restrictive vegetarian/vegan diet.

Found this on one of the veg sites ....

"Iron - Like vitamin B-12, iron is a crucial component of red blood cells. Dried beans and peas, lentils, enriched cereals, whole-grain products, dark, leafy green vegetables, and dried fruit are good sources of iron. To help your body absorb non-animal sources of iron, eat foods rich in vitamin C — such as strawberries, citrus fruits, tomatoes, cabbage and broccoli — at the same time you consume iron-containing foods."

I always try to make sure I eat plenty of veg and fruit every day. But then I did that even when I ate meat because I feel terrible when I don't eat properly.

Originally Posted by SalJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif Found this on one of the veg sites ....
"Iron - Like vitamin B-12, iron is a crucial component of red blood cells. Dried beans and peas, lentils, enriched cereals, whole-grain products, dark, leafy green vegetables, and dried fruit are good sources of iron. To help your body absorb non-animal sources of iron, eat foods rich in vitamin C — such as strawberries, citrus fruits, tomatoes, cabbage and broccoli — at the same time you consume iron-containing foods."

I always try to make sure I eat plenty of veg and fruit every day. But then I did that even when I ate meat because I feel terrible when I don't eat properly.

Yeah, they help to chelate (that's the 'beautiful way of saying') the iron
smile.gif
It's always good to remember that, otherwise it gets too difficult - depending on the vegetable , it has too much iron to be absorbed without help

glad you're happy hunni ~ you've got to do what *you* feel is really right. You go girrl .

WOOOH

respect man!

being a veggie makes me feel healthy

and i know that im not buying from an industry that tortures

Yay! Vegetarians rock!!
biggrin.gif

I am a vegetarian too. It just feels so gross and WRONG to eat the muscles of a once living creature... my aim is to be vegan, but I'm not quite there yet.

Wait- Can I just ask why you started to eat meat again in the first place?

Originally Posted by Momo /img/forum/go_quote.gif Wait- Can I just ask why you started to eat meat again in the first place? I began eating meat again because I was severely unhealthy. When I first became a Veg I was very young and didn't understand what it takes to keep a body healthy. I NEVER ate protein. After all those years of not eating enough I became very anemic and sickly. The quickest way for me to get healthy again was to begin eating some form of animal protein. I started out only eating chicken...
Now that I am older and wiser, I think I can be a Veg and still have the nourishment I need.

Originally Posted by Scarlette /img/forum/go_quote.gif This is my opinion about eating meat: Cows, chickens, lamb.. all were bred and developed to feed us. Are we pissed at cavemen for killing wild beasts and bringing it home for their people to eat? What are cows for? I can't imagine having a cow as a pet or seeing a cow running wild in the forest.. is that what PETA wants? What we should really be focusing on is the people who kill intelligent animals for food (like dogs and cats) and sell their genitals in cans. I am all FOR scientific research on rats and mice for cancer and other diseases that harm humans. (who else are they going to experiment on.. us??) and seriously.. do we feel bad for rats and mice when they infest our homes? I just have to say that farm animals are intelligent like cats and dogs, because pigs, cows, chickens all are as smart as them, infact pigs are smarter..and make good house pets too. pigs are actually just as good of a campanion as a dog. theyre really clean too if they were allowed to be. so theyre the same as dogs and cats, just were unforunately bred for people to eat..is that right? nope. never was and never will be. theres not a difference between a dog and a pig, cause im sure a dog tastes equally good.

I can never do it...but if you can, why not? I have a co-worker who went vegetarian for a whole summer and he lost 20 lbs without doing anything except not eating meat.

Well said Mindy. Also we didn't come into nature with pigs just being born in pens living in their own feces. If not for moral reasons I don't eat meat (much) for health reasons too. I'm not mad at history's hunters, they worked for what they ate, didn't hunt for sport, and usually used the whole animal. I don't think it's fair to compare them to modern carnivores.

I'd really love to see us go back to a time where we all have to hunt for our own meat. I'm sure many people would be less inclined to do so after having to gut, skin, and possibly suffer disease if their food is not properly prepared. I think eating meat would be okay if we didn't take it for granted. I eat meat but considerably less than the average person, perhaps with two to three meals a week.

A positive thing I noticed is I can't eat fast food!! I mean what is there on the menu that a non-meat eating person could have?? I sat for like 5 minutes at the drive thru....and then just drove thru!

I wish I could be a vegetarian, but I love me some chicken. I try to eat as little of it as possible, but there's a food chain in S.California called "Yoshinoya" and I cannot resist their chicken bowls, I've been eating them since I was a kid!

I however do not eat any other kind of meat, chicken is all I have and occasionally some seafood, but I never get the chance.

When people meet me and ask me why I don't eat beef or pork, I tell them it's because they're ugly animals. But also because I know they were alive with eyeballs and guts and brains, and it grosses me out. I get grossed out with chicken too sometimes, but it tastes so goooooooooooood.

Originally Posted by BeneBaby /img/forum/go_quote.gif A positive thing I noticed is I can't eat fast food!! I mean what is there on the menu that a non-meat eating person could have?? I sat for like 5 minutes at the drive thru....and then just drove thru! Yeah really... pretty much all I can eat at fast food places is fries [or where they have them, baked potatoes]. And even that's pushing it, because I know that a lot of places cook the fries in the same oil as chicken fingers and whatnot. Sometimes I swear I can taste residual chicken in my fries... ew. Some places have salads, but many of those still have meat in them! Salad from fast food places sucks anyway though, LOL.

Back