IMATS NYC 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMATS is about 20 days away now and I was wondering if anyone has any flying tips for a first time flyer..I will be flying from Nashville to LGA so it's only a 2 hour flight, but I've never flown before and was wondering if anyone could help ease my anxiety. I will be traveling with my mom so I won't be as nervous but I still am quite a bit. Any and all help is appreciated!

@KaitlinKolors first and foremost I would like to welcome you to my beautiful city!!! You are going to have an awesome time!!!  Honestly, I think by the time you get to the airport and realize that you are headed to The Big Apple you are going to be more excited that you will not have time to be nervous! lol I think you will be fine. When flying it feels like you are driving only in the air. Sometimes you feel some bumps which is turbulence but its nothing to worry about :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> My recommendation is to stay positive and think about all the fun you are going to have! Where are you staying in NY? What days are you going? Pm me if you want to know anything specific about IMATS or sightseeing etc. I am more than willing and able to help in any way that I can! 
icon_biggrin.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by KaitlinKolors /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  IMATS is about 20 days away now and I was wondering if anyone has any flying tips for a first time flyer..I will be flying from Nashville to LGA so it's only a 2 hour flight, but I've never flown before and was wondering if anyone could help ease my anxiety. I will be traveling with my mom so I won't be as nervous but I still am quite a bit. Any and all help is appreciated!
Hi! I have really bad flying anxiety and I'd love to share my tips (Also, pre-welcome to my amazing city! I've been here for a year and have never loved living somewhere more!!).  

I'll start with what has been my ultimate cure: Xanax.  I've taken it for 2 hour flights and have been fine.  I told my GP about my flying issues (two days before my honeymoon to Europe... I was panicked just thinking about being panicked on the flight for so long).  It was amazing.  I take it right when I board and then I feel "normal".  I actually turned to my husband during that first take off and said "Oh wow.  Is this how most people feel during takeoff? I always assumed everyone else also thought the plane was going to burst into flames."

Without Xanax, take off is the worst part for me, and of course turbulence.  Mentally what helped was an explanation from a pilot that turbulence is very similar to waves when you're on a cruise ship.  The air has waves in a similar way -- so thinking of that during periods of turbulence really helped! Of course, I fly more than I like and have hit some really terrible turbulence and that thinking hasn't done much... I'm always the girl sitting praying the rosaries like crazy during those flights.

Honestly, I would pursue Xanax.  It not only helped with my flight anxiety, it really helped me not feel so anxious the weeks leading up to a flight.  I remember having nightmares about flying pre-flight, and spending so much time worried about feeling so anxious.  I also would nearly pass out (I had a G-force feeling similar to a roller coaster) during take out, and that sensation is gone.  Since I started taking it -- I realize a lot of people take it during every flight! So, all those calm fliers around you -- it's just us medicated folks :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by SHYLAMOMA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  @KaitlinKolors first and foremost I would like to welcome you to my beautiful city!!! You are going to have an awesome time!!!  Honestly, I think by the time you get to the airport and realize that you are headed to The Big Apple you are going to be more excited that you will not have time to be nervous! lol I think you will be fine. When flying it feels like you are driving only in the air. Sometimes you feel some bumps which is turbulence but its nothing to worry about :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> My recommendation is to stay positive and think about all the fun you are going to have! Where are you staying in NY? What days are you going? Pm me if you want to know anything specific about IMATS or sightseeing etc. I am more than willing and able to help in any way that I can! 
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for the welcome! It's been my dream to go to New York since I can remember. I'm so thankful to be able to be going. I think you're right in that once I'm actually on the way I won't even have time to notice I'm on a plane. I'm already so pumped for IMATS I can't stand it!

@camel11 I actually have horrible anxiety, but my anxiety goes so far to where I'm scared to take medication...I know...this sounds whack-o but it's true. I can't take sleeping pills or anxiety pills because I am scared they will put me to sleep and I'll never wake up haha It's a cycle. Anxious. Take anxiety medication. Become 10x more anxious.
icon_rolleyes.gif
 Thanks for the tip though!

P.S. So envious that you guys get to live in NYC!! I feel like that would be my dream location. I'd be like Carrie Bradshaw hahaha I live in Nashville which is like a itty bitty tiny baby city compared to New York City

I was going to attend this year, since I'm just upstate it'd be easy to get to, but I really only want to go to the pro night since i have crowd-anxiety, annnd I haven't gotten a pro-membership yet. Oops. I am sending a list of things I want with a few friends who are going so hopefully they can pick me up all the kit-stuff (and fun personal stuff) I need for way cheaper than I would normally get them! Anyone have any idea on what kind of discounts are usually offered from different brands? (I want to plan out how much I should send with them haha) I know it varies company to company. Anyways I'm hoping I get to go next year, in the mean time I'm going to try to plan for TMS instead.

two hours is so easy! You'll be fine! Keep yourself occupied by reading or sketching in a notepad. Or I always just take a slight nap, so I don't have to think about anything. Maybe have some soothing herbal tea beforehand (no coffee) to help calm your nerves, since you can't take meds. Maybe meditate, just taking control of your breathing and letting yourself feel at ease. Do whatever helps you feel comfortable. It's just like a bus trip (but safer) haha.

Quote: Originally Posted by theangryandro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I was going to attend this year, since I'm just upstate it'd be easy to get to, but I really only want to go to the pro night since i have crowd-anxiety, annnd I haven't gotten a pro-membership yet. Oops. I am sending a list of things I want with a few friends who are going so hopefully they can pick me up all the kit-stuff (and fun personal stuff) I need for way cheaper than I would normally get them! Anyone have any idea on what kind of discounts are usually offered from different brands? (I want to plan out how much I should send with them haha) I know it varies company to company. Anyways I'm hoping I get to go next year, in the mean time I'm going to try to plan for TMS instead.

I've been watching a lot of IMATS hauls from LA and the discounts that most people have said were 30% off sigma, 30% off Stila and a buy 3 get one free deal, $10 OCC lip tars, $1 lashes form Nigel's beauty emporium, $5 Inglot shadows....there are more but I can't think of any at the moment :/

Quote: Originally Posted by theangryandro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  two hours is so easy! You'll be fine! Keep yourself occupied by reading or sketching in a notepad. Or I always just take a slight nap, so I don't have to think about anything. Maybe have some soothing herbal tea beforehand (no coffee) to help calm your nerves, since you can't take meds. Maybe meditate, just taking control of your breathing and letting yourself feel at ease. Do whatever helps you feel comfortable. It's just like a bus trip (but safer) haha.
I am planning on reading a book. I hope that takes my mind off of it. I sure wish I could watch a movie...that would really make the time fly by!

Matt!! You Already know im stopping by the booth and I am super excited to meet Tatianna and Renny! Gheez. Will they be there Fri also?

Omega

This will also be my first time to New York. There are far more vendors on the list for Nyc than in Toronto, Canada and the venue seems to be alot larger so I'm curious! But I have loads to add to my kit. For sure I am stocking thinkgs from:

-Sigma

-Morphe Brushes

-MUFE

-Inglot

-Nygels 

and my good old friends at FRENDS beauty:)

I cannot get over the fact that the show starts in 3 days. I want to go and I want to go now! I am seriously counting down until my flight. It doesn't hurt that there is still three feet of snow in the city I live in and just yesterday it was snowing again. I have my media pass ready and I cannot wait to do some damage anddo some blogging and vlogging

Quote: Originally Posted by Polish Jinx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I cannot get over the fact that the show starts in 3 days. I want to go and I want to go now! I am seriously counting down until my flight. It doesn't hurt that there is still three feet of snow in the city I live in and just yesterday it was snowing again.

I have my media pass ready and I cannot wait to do some damage anddo some blogging and vlogging

On Saturday, don't forget to pick up your press kit.

On Saturday, don't forget to pick up your press kit.
you sure there will be press passes? Both Los Angeles an Toronto this year has discontinued them. you going? I'd love to finally put a face to a name!

Press kits were discontinued? Weird. Can't hurt to ask about it when you check in.

Nope, not going to any IMATS this year since the big move from the west coast to the east coast is at the end of next month. That move is killing me since it caused me to miss IMATS LA this year.  Least next year I can drive to IMATS NY since I'll be living between 2½ to 3½ hours away from NYC.

Back