Intense Eyeliner

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
THE OLD ADVICE: Never apply liner to the inner rims of the eyes; it makes them look small and squinty.

THE NEW VIEW: Au contraire, says makeup artist Mally Roncal, who actually uses this method to brighten clients' eyes. "I've been doing it since I was 7 years old. It also accentuates your eye color."

HOW TO DO IT: The trick to enlarging eyes rather than shrinking them is to line only the outer three quarters of the lower rim, then fade out the line as you approach the tear duct, Roncal explains. "Then extend the liner upward a touch at the outer corners," she says. For a dramatic evening look like Keira Knightley's, use black eye liner. "It gives you instant fierceness," Roncal says. Otherwise choose muted shades like chocolate and plum to intensify brown eyes, navy to accentuate baby blues, and dark green to bring out hazel eyes. Another reason to try this technique: It's the makeup equivalent of Visine." Applying liner right against the whites makes them appear even whiter," Roncal says.

TIP: For the same effect on the upper lid, dot liner between upper lashes at their base.

Source: Page 448 | March 2006 | InStyle

This really is a great technique for brightening/ bringing out the eyes, I thnk. Delux Beauty makes these ultra coorful, super vivid colored eyeliners(I use "Chimpy Blue", an intense turquoise shade), just a tiny bit on my inner lower rims, and my whites look 3 times brighter and the irises so much clearer, too. Thanks for sharing this tip,Katie!

Thanks for the tip Katie! Did you type that out yourself? If so, thanks for the effort! :flowers:

Yes. I proofed like a crazy person, too, just to make certain there were no mistakes. *hugs* I'm sending you a PM.

:blink: Me, too. Let's start a support group. We'll have yummy desserts and hire a new professional makeup artist, every meeting, to educate us. :smilehappyyes:

There is also a how-to video for eyeliner on the Maybelline website. That might be helpful for you. :icon_smil

You're welcome. It looks like you've been typing all kinds of stuff out, too.

You seem to be a very happy drunk. That's a good thing. Have you gotten hungry, yet?

Back