January 1 2015, 100 Day No Buy Challenge

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I went through my debit transactions and added up how much I spent in the following categories in November and October: groceries, drugstore, fast food/restaurants, gasoline, bills (not credit cards or anything, just utilities), and wasteful spending (makeup and other stuff I don't actually need.)  There's really no getting around calling it what it is!  Then I am also keeping a running tally of my credit balances I want paid off by June.

I carry my planner with me everywhere I go in my purse, and there was a handy page I could put all of this on. Keeping track of my spending will reinforce this no buy for sure. 

So I went through my debit transactions and added up how much I spent in the following categories in November and October: groceries, drugstore, fast food/restaurants, gasoline, bills (not credit cards or anything, just utilities), and wasteful spending (makeup and other stuff I don't actually need.) There's really no getting around calling it what it is! Then I am also keeping a running tally of my credit balances I want paid off by June.

I carry my planner with me everywhere I go in my purse, and there was a handy page I could put all of this on. Keeping track of my spending will reinforce this no buy for sure.
I love the idea of keeping track of everything in your planner. I also carry my planner everywhere and can use the pages in the back for notes. I just ordered my 2015 planner so once that comes in I'll start my spending list.

I also use mint.com to track things- you can add categories and easily sort and calculate how much you've spent in each category

GUYS!!!! I'm super excited to say that I'm officially committing to join this 100-day No-Buy!!!! I will of course tweak the rules for my personal situation, but for the most part, it'll be a full-fledged no-buy!!!!! YEAH!!! I can't believe I'm actually excited about it, but somehow this thread here and all the responses in it are making it seem like a fun, bonding game!!! I just am so thankful for you all here, and for helping me stay on track!

I'm so glad you decided to join! Me too- I was really nervous about joining, but now I'm so excited!

I love your idea about tracking spending in all categories, not just beauty/makeup. I will make an effort to do this as well.

I like the ritual too, of the weekly pamper/spa day. I think it'll also help me seriously destress, and to kind of.... view myself as worthy of the use of those special products and time as well.

Also love the idea of delaying gratification by making a list and only buying when you're positive you really want it and will love it.

My rules for myself will come in another thread. This is just my joyful responses to this whole idea! :sunshine:
I'm so glad you are joining! I think this is going to be a great group and support network for a tough 100 days!!

Does anyone else here think like I do, by the way? In that I need to make a huge shopping list before a no-buy, and then cross everything off because I already have something that will work?

Edit: Or am I being weird and unhelpful? I can see how a giant shopping list in a no-buy forum might be counter-productive....
I'm not totally sure I'm following, but I do like to have a sense of my inventory and think of things that I might need to replace before I go into a no-buy just to know what "exceptions" I'll have (and then make myself hold true to my rule--no buying unless it is a true, necessary replacement! E.g. shampoo, skincare, etc.). I actually don't like to "stock up" on those necessities before I start my no-buy because I like having an excuse to make a purchase...which is bad to admit!!!

I've tried to use Mint before and I just don't like it. I think I'm just better with paper in front of me and manually keeping track of things. 

Progress today: I'm going through and unfollowing a bunch of threads (Sephora, Enablers, etc.) in preparation.  Although it's really going to be the indie brands that kill me. 

I'm trying to mentally steel myself against the temptations I anticipate will come up in those 100 days: Target boxes, L'OcciBox, Allure Seasonal Box. Spring collections. Sephora points, and offers. Great GWP.

I'll just remind myself that there are great things popping up ALL YEAR LONG. They literally NEVER END. I don't have to do EVERY SINGLE good deal. If I really want something, I'll jot it down on a wishlist, and if it's still available after 100 days, and I still am thinking about it, I'll get it.

I really want to harness as much feeling of commitment as I can muster.

Now we wait.

I finally have my rules ready!!! Be warned, this is going to be super duper long!

nobuy.jpg

Rules: No-Buy for Personal Items from January 1st until April 10th (or during Sephora’s Chic Week if it happens before the 100th day (expected to be sometime in early April)).

Includes: Anything I’d get personal use out of that isn’t a necessity.

Makeup, skincare, haircare, nail polish, self-pampering items, body care items, jewelry, treats or snacks (excluding ones I bake myself), clothing, shoes (excluding running shoes), beauty tools such as brushes, clippers, and hair ties, music, movies, DVDs, toys, stationery, books, coffee or tea, beer/wine, dinner out, or anything I would get personal use out of, etc.

Just to be clear ( I know I’ll try to trick myself later) this does not include the following categories: gas, healthcare- prescriptions and appointments only-, vet costs, bills, or food. The miscellaneous category in your budget is the tricky one, the devil is in the details. Same for food- junk food is going to be part of this.
No overspending in other categories to compensate. Basically, spending only what I need in this 100-day challenge, nothing to make me feel better, nothing I want.

More detailed rules:

• Do not, under any circumstances, visit the following: Sephora.com, Ulta.com,
    Beauty.com, Dermstore.com, Makeuptalkforums: Shopping sub-forum, or other forums or blogs. Not even to play ‘cart roulette’. Avoid ‘hauls’ and product reviews.

• Participate at least weekly in the following threads: 100-day No-buy thread,
    Monthly no-buy support threads, Pan that palette 2015, the Monday club, Taking Inventory, 33 Days of Decluttering, Official Used it Up thread, I hit pan on thread, and start a ‘weekly look’ thread.

• Make a list when shopping, and buy only what is on the list. Also set a goal for how much I’m willing to spend.
    If have a set goal, make sure to buy giftcards and don’t go over the amount (Kroger, Walmart, Target, Gas stations, Sephora, Ulta, TJMaxx, Gap, etc.) Use ‘giftcard granny’ for deals on giftcards.

Only exceptions allowed:

• May purchase up to a $25 Sephora item in January (my birthday month), using $17 store credit.
    Plan to get the Anastasia brow brush #12
  • May buy movie ticket or restaurant meal only if going with friends. No snacks, appetizers, dessert, or drinks. Water only.

• May buy gifts for friends/family for birthdays and other occasions.

• May make 2 small (< $25) purchases on organizational items.

• May buy replacement necessities only: skincare, hair conditioner, concealer, hand cream.
    (I expect to need to replace: cleanser, toner, exfoliant, vitamin c treatment, retinol treatment, acne treatment, spf, moisturizer, facial mist, hair conditioner, hand cream, cuticle oil, toothpaste, cotton face pads, feminine pads, body moisturizer, scented candle for bedroom, cold sore treatment, lip balm, sunglasses, eyeglasses with updated prescription, running shoes.)

Obtaining new products:

• This can only be done through the following venues: swaps, trades, free samples,
    dumpster diving, garage sales or thrift stores, profit from selling any belongings.
    That’s it. No buying anything. Hence, the no buy.

• I can obtain new products by purchasing, but only through selling my other unwanted ones. Can sell on ebay, blog sale, and makeuptalk forum. Any $ I make from those sales are fair game.

• If purchase online for necessity replacements, make sure to use Ebates or Mr. Rebates, plus search for coupons on RetailMeNot.

• Regularly request samples from companies, especially in the search for HG spf, eye cream, and hand cream. This will hopefully keep my need for spending and getting new packages down.

Positive reinforcement:

• Every 10 days can have a mini celebration for getting 1/10 th of the way closer! Not sure what this will be yet. Not making a purchase, but maybe something… like, well, not sure! Any ideas?

Other parts of my game plan:

• Use up products: Nail polish, perfume, eyeshadow. Create go-to looks. Play with your makeup so you are familiar with it and know how to make yourself look good.

• Get an accountability partner and check in several times a week through PM. Requesting ‘tough love’ partner. Anyone in?

• Weekly spa day on Sundays to destress, use up products, and pamper myself.

• Get obsessed about saving money again:
    Go to MAGFED bank party in January, read GetRichSlowy, TheSimpleDollar, and The Non-consumer Advocate blogs. Keep up with Mint.com and my online bank account. Also regularly check on credit score and on investments. Use Mint.com to track spending and use your spreadsheet budget. Also, consider doing envelope method again, this time paying more attention.

Also focus on other goals: reading, quitting bad habits, writing,
    visiting, DIYing, excercising, enjoying life!
  • Give to a charity monthly-
    can pick a new charity every month. Start out small, with $10 a month. Keep up with Kiva again!

Things to keep in mind:

• Don’t break your rules- don’t trick yourself into having a exception that you ‘forgot’ to add into the rules.

• [SIZE=11pt]Remember: That purchasing __________ (fill in the blank with whatever you’re lusting after) will not change your life. It won’t even make your day better. It won’t up your game. It won’t elevate your beauty routine. It won’t make you more of a lady, more put-together, more yourself, more beautiful. It’s just another thing out of the countless things you’ve tried. You’re still the same you.             [/SIZE]

This is a brilliant idea! I'm in. I have so much stuff, and even more stuff that I bought in the recent sales that have yet to arrive. I do the same "I'll use this for a special occasion" thing as well, which is pointless as I rarely ever go out and makeup products expire anyway. Plus, I need to start saving money to help pay for school, and I just got 5 packages from the mail man, I think this proves I need help. 

My Rules

Starting January 1st I will not make any more beauty (including perfume) purchases until April 10th

1. I can exchange equal value subs (ex: if I cancel both Birchbox and Ipsy, I could take on Glossybox)

2. I can replace HGs and staple products (moisturizer, Hourglass Eyeliner) when they run out

3. Swaps and exchanges are okay

4. Christmas gift cards can be spent, allowing up to 2$ for tax overage

I'm pretty wishy washy about my concealers though, because I'm still searching for a good one, but I have a lot. But 100 days is livable, and it will be good to use them up. 

@@eastofthesun - very well thought out post! I love your process how you've documented everything and I think I will incorporate a lot of what you've come up with.
Thanks, @@jesemiaud ! I wrote it out in a Microsoft Word document on my computer, added and edited it a few days, then posted it! I am really excited about this 100 day no buy! I think since we're all in it together and are all starting and ending at the same time, we can all really support each other like never before!

I'm in.

At this point, my rules are:

• replacements only. Don't worry about sales for these 100 days, because buying 2 things full price is soooo much better than buying a bunch of things I don't need on sale.
  • BeautyDNA is okay to keep.
  • Birchbox is prepaid, so that's okay. No add-ons. No purchases. Points last a year, so there's no rush.
  • Julep: Only if it's $2.50 or less per polish. If Pippa comes out of retirement I may purchase that. I'm undecided on my rules about the monthly box. I have two skippable accounts and over a month's worth of points on each account so this doesn't seem like a big risk.
  • No other subs.
  • Not even Memebox. Not even indies.
  • I can use my Ulta birthday coupon (on konjac sponges) and my two $5 off $10 coupons (on acetone and cotton balls).
  • No-buy forum is the only section of MUT that I'm allowed to look at.
I'm having a moment of "dude I can totally do a whole-year no-buy" and I'm trying to fashion that enthusiasm into something less likely to fail.

what a great idea! I hope I can make it through the 100 days, I'm pretty sure I don't need to buy anything at all, even the basics... recently I've been trying to swap for the things I know I'm low on so I don't have to buy them and that has been going reasonably well for me since I'm also clearing out items I won't be using at the same time. but one of my stress coping mechanisms is to treat myself, so I need to reel that in.. my financial situation is just really ridiculous right now. i need a new job or a housemate!

my rules for myself are:    

• absolutely no make up purchases. I can't think of anything I would need before April 10 since I already have more than I know what do to with, as I learned while doing some major overhaul and reflecting the last few months. I've been working my way through my eyeshadows and tossing anything that's too old and dry to be worth keeping. I've realized that my favorite eye looks are always neutral, so realistically, i don't need more than 1 good palette anyway. I've learned that I never like any type of lipgloss, and always reach for my matte lipsticks over anything else. paying attention to what i actually use and enjoy has made such a difference in my impulse purchases, and so much easier to justify letting go of subscriptions since I am picky and usually better off not collecting samples I'm just going to swap anyway. I can't afford that! 

• skincare is a somewhat new area for me to focus on - I had horrible skin in my teens and did put effort into taking care of it then, but it was always just rx products. Once my skin cleared up, I ended up with a really basic routine of just washing, toning and moisturizing, with perhaps a spot treatment if necessary and a weekly face mask. when I started getting subs in my late 20s and new types of serums, and now learning about asian beauty regimens, I've incorporated more products to help with aging skin. I think I may allow myself to get a memebox or two during the 100 days, and perhaps some sheet masks if there's a good deal on TK or RRS. I'll give myself a $50 limit for TK or RRS if that happens to be the case, just so my order is worth it. I don't think I'll need much more beyond sheet masks as I have enough rinse off masks to last the year. Ideally, even if I run out, I won't order more yet and instead focus on finishing the rinse off masks. I will try to swap rather than purchase if I think I'm running out of anything else - sunscreen would be the only thing I can think of since I don't really have any backups in my stash right now.

• hair products are something I definitely don't think I'll need to purchase.  I have a basket of the various samples I like to use, and always see more of them on swap lists. I am low on conditioner/conditioning treatments, but I am confident I'll be able to swap for some more things. And even low, I think I might still be able to make it through the 100 days.

• I actually have no active subscriptions right now, except julep which I'm planning on canceling after i receive this month's box that I cashed out my jules on. in the past, I've let myself cheat and reactivate up to 2 subs a month if the spoilers make it worthwhile, but since I'm letting myself cheat with memebox, I think i should forego all the other subs. FOMO is always my downfall when it comes to subs though.. this is where I think I would need the most help.
in short, I'm totally not going to buy anything for the 100 days. I'd love an accountability partner as well, someone to keep me in line!

ETA: I totally agree with not saving things for a special occasion - I realized a few years back just how pointless that was because I was finding things ended up just not getting used at all and then just going bad. I even eat my favorite skittles flavors first now instead of saving them for last lol 

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to join this.  I have so much stuff. 

I don't know how long I can hold out but I will go for at least the Month of Jan.

I can buy food,gas, any medical and hygiene stuff.

I can get my eyebrow wax and haircut as usual.

I can buy true replacements for any item I currently own if it needs replacing. (skincare, makeup,clothes, shoes, candles).

I would love to be someone's accountability partner.

I don't know how long I can hold out but I will go for at least the Month of Jan.

I can buy true replacements for any item I currently own if it needs replacing. (skincare, makeup,clothes, shoes, candles).

I would love to be someone's accountability partner

edited to add I can keep BB, SS and Walmart BB subs.  If i want a different sub I must cancel an equivalent sub.  

I would love to be someone's accountability partner

I'm definitely in! I want to focus more on using this time to finish products I've had for a while so that once these 100 days are up, I can revamp my stash!  Here are my rules:

1.  I can only purchase things that are essentials (i. e. makeup remover, cleansing oil, mascara, etc.) once they are done and especially if I can get them while they're on sale.

2.  No buying any candles despite sales/coupons. I have to finish the ones I already have first.

3.  I can't buy any new nail polishes and no going to a nail salon to get them done.  I can do this for free at home with the same results.

4.  Do more cooking at home to eat out less.  My money goes to makeup and food outside of home and I should be saving instead.

5.  I must continue to do a project pan for each month during the duration of 100 days.  I have to hit pan or finish at least 30 items by then .... starting now actually.

Well, that's my list for now!

I am officially signing myself up for this.  I just glanced at what I have spent at Ulta over the last year.  I am so embarrassed by that number.  It will not even be half of that in 2015.   I am allowed to use points for purchases (birchbox, ulta) but I cannot spend anything over $5 for tax out of pocket.   I have to sign up for mint.com and make myself really aware where my money is going and in what proportions.   I will not need any replacements.  I am allowed to keep julep and birchbox but no new subs (I keep considering ipsy but nope don't need it).  

I am excited to join everyone in this adventure!

I just figured out what my reward will be if I can go 100 days without any makeup purchases! I really need new makeup brushes, mostly eye brushes but also a couple for the face. I've needed brushes for a long time but I haven't had the money to spend and I didn't really know what brand and what kind of brushes I would like.

The rules are simple: I will not buy makeup for the first 100 days of 2015, and I will do well in my project pan. If I succed at this, I will allow myself a Zoeva brush haul! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />:)

Back