January 1 2015, 100 Day No Buy Challenge

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to be pairing this with project palette (using one palette for every ten days!) and 30 days of beauty challenge!
I like the idea of the Project Palette! I want to hit pan in a couple I've had for a while, but I know I'll get too bored if I don't switch it up often enough. Is there a thread/group for that somewhere? And what is the 30 Days Challenge?

How is everyone prepping for the challenge? Has everyone sorted their makeup yet? Will you sort before starting?

A couple of week ago I sorted mine into: Trash (has already been hauled away by our friendly garbage service) Keep, and Circular Swap/ Gift Exchange.  I'm going to go over my Keep pile with a gimlet eye and see what needs to be added to the CS/GE stash.

I have never been so excited about not spending!

How is everyone prepping for the challenge? Has everyone sorted their makeup yet? Will you sort before starting?

A couple of week ago I sorted mine into: Trash (has already been hauled away by our friendly garbage service) Keep, and Circular Swap/ Gift Exchange.  I'm going to go over my Keep pile with a gimlet eye and see what needs to be added to the CS/GE stash.

I sorted my makeup when I did my inventory, so that was immensely helpful, and even took a few things out. Something that's helping me is having a dedicated little bag for items I have to use as I "rotate" -- it's hard when project panning because I must also incorporate my PP items in every day, and they all add up to a full face pretty much, but one of my rules is that I must rotate in my eyeshadows and blushes weekly (my two biggest offenders), so that's helpful.

I've been getting extra pumped up by watching project panners xD my plan of attack is to do bi-weekly makeup baskets so that every item I pick is getting consistent use for at least two weeks straight (10 days, since I don't wear anything during the weekends), and using my blog to catalog my progress and keep me extra accountable. 

To prepare I sorted all of my non-makeup cosmetics the other day to make sure they were up to date in my spreadsheet. Next up is the makeup. I seem to have misplaced a bag full of eyeliners and other pencil-type products that I took on my trip and it's driving me a little nuts to have no idea where it went. 

I know it made it home because when I first returned I threw out one eyeliner that had been worn down to a stub. That was in the bag with the rest. I have a ridiculous amount of replacement eyeliners so it's more of an annoyance than anything else. This is motivating me to do a full reorg of my stash and perhaps figure out a better system for storage. 

I like the idea of the Project Palette! I want to hit pan in a couple I've had for a while, but I know I'll get too bored if I don't switch it up often enough. Is there a thread/group for that somewhere? And what is the 30 Days Challenge?
The Project Pan that Palette thread is here: https://www.makeuptalk.com/f/topic/135019-pan-that-palette-2015/ Join us! I don't know about the 30 days of beauty though. Sounds cool whatever it is!

I've prepared a few different ways:

1. Listing out my rules and exceptions here

2. Writing it out on my calendar

3. Believing in myself- believing I can do it and that I will be successful

4. Trying to come up with good rewards for every 10 days.

5. Reorganizing my stash and decluttering my vanity.

6. Making a list of my HG items to remind myself not to try other things in those categories

7. Making a list of things that start to tempt me that I can reevaluate after 100 days.

8. Deleting sales emails before opening them- really just going by sender. I don't even read the subject line.

I sorted my makeup when I did my inventory, so that was immensely helpful, and even took a few things out. Something that's helping me is having a dedicated little bag for items I have to use as I "rotate" -- it's hard when project panning because I must also incorporate my PP items in every day, and they all add up to a full face pretty much, but one of my rules is that I must rotate in my eyeshadows and blushes weekly (my two biggest offenders), so that's helpful.

I've been getting extra pumped up by watching project panners xD my plan of attack is to do bi-weekly makeup baskets so that every item I pick is getting consistent use for at least two weeks straight (10 days, since I don't wear anything during the weekends), and using my blog to catalog my progress and keep me extra accountable. 
That's awesome that you can use your blog as progress and accountability!

Some one had made the suggestion of celebrating every  ten days, and I love that idea. So thinking of it as ten sets of ten days I believe will be easier mentally.

Also, I think a celebration every ten days sounds great!
I'm glad you guys like the 10 day celebration idea! I was reading about rewards, and came across the suggestion of buying some beads and making yourself a bracelet by adding a bead at every accomplishment. So we could end up with a 10-bead bracelet? I'm not sure though... I mean it's still spending on the beads, and it's not that much of an incentive. Still thinking about possible rewards. Maybe I'll allow myself to umm.... get frozen yogurt? Yeah! That'll be good!

That makes me think of choosing ten items to focus on for each ten days - and then a treat at the end of each ten day period B) . I want to treat myself to movies and books - things I have not been able to focus on because all I think about is beauty shopping. I want my life back.
Great idea!!! Me too!

I've been loving the break from thinking about beauty products. I kind of got overwhelmed with everything. Lately I've been moving my purchasing towards smaller brands who use more natural ingredients and are cruelty free. That really limits where I can shop.. I can't go out to the drugstore and pick up any item anymore. Same with Sephora. I've been doing most of my shopping online so I tend to be more cautious because I can't return things as easily and the shipping costs are often higher. More planning and narrowing down my list means that I tend to buy only what I'm almost certain I'll love. My last two orders like that had a 100% success rate with choosing colors and formulas that worked for me! I know this approach isn't for everyone, but picking a few brands to stick with and base my stash on has helped me limit both my purchasing and my hoarding of products.

So excited to start this challenge! I had to pick up a few staples but I would have run out of them by the end of the month anyway. I've also been enjoying focusing on other things rather than makeup shopping. I've been doing a ton of reading again and I'm trying to get back into making jewelry and knitting as hobbies. It's so refreshing and it really makes you realize how much time (both in terms of time spent browsing or shopping and time spent working for the money to make purchases) that makeup and beauty can suck out of your life. This challenge is about more than a No Buy for me, it's about becoming a more interesting, joyful person. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I so agree with everything you just said. When I went cruelty-free as my 2014 beauty resolution, I noticed how it limited my spending and even my wants. I love that! It helps me save money and I can't just randomly get any drugstore item that bloggers rave about!!! Plus, it's good for all the animals out there.

Eeeek! There's only a week and a 1/2 left of 2014! Is anyone else a bit anxious to start this challenge?  :blink:
Actually, at the moment I'm excited... but we'll see how that changes as it approaches, haahah!

Right now we have 10 days left (counting today).

Everyone ready?

One thing I think that will really help us get ready is thinking about what we want to accomplish. Not just 'not buying for 100 days', but what else we want? Do we want that feeling of control and willpower? To know we could rise to the challenge? To be able to direct that money into savings? Whatever it is, make sure to think hard on it, visualize it, and how it will feel. Remind yourself of that every time you get a craving to spend.

Also:

How does everyone feel about accountability partners? I got a PM from someone interested, and I thought I'd see if others wanted to do it? If so I can make a thread. If not, me and @@annatomical will go ahead and start on our journey!

One more thing:

What about keeping this thread for the main things, but starting a new thread, one for each 10-day sections? Do you think that's a good idea like how we break down the year into month threads, or would that be too much?

Looking forward to this!!!! If you haven't reevaluated your stash and done inventory and made a list of what is tempting you so far, I highly suggest you do that as soon as possible! Also, if you get giftcards for Christmas- have a plan in mind with what you're going to do with those. Are you going to save them, spend them, choose different things to spend on? Just make sure you have everything planned out!

Last edited by a moderator:
 Some the things I want to accomplish is finding dupes within my stash, and also looking to see how many of certain colors I have. I want the feeling of control over my money, instead of my money controlling me. I want to strengthen my willpower instead of  caving over sales, specials, deals and discounts.

I do like separate threads for each 10 day block of the 100. It will keep this main thread from become too unwieldy

For me, personally, I prefer a group activity over partners, but that is just me.

Getting ready. I need to do a clean out of some stuff, and do some SERIOUS indie de-baggying before starting but I need to go get storage first. I'm off work all next week so I think I'm going to dedicate one full day (maybe Monday) to cleaning out and getting organized....moving all my project pan stuff into the bathroom so it's easily accessible and moving other stuff into the closet. Then I'll rotate maybe every 2 weeks? Haven't quite decided yet

beauty-challenge.jpg

30 days of beauty is just something that I found on someone else's beauty blog that I'm gonna do on mine too! It'll keep my mind off of wanting new things, hopefully!

Finally had a chance to write my rules down! It's strange that I'm so excited about starting this, but I love that we have a supportive group here. Looking forward to the new year!

-          Projects:

o   I’m not overloaded with eye palettes, but I do have more than I really need. I love the idea of Project Palette, and I think using one palette for 10 days then switching to another one would work for me.

o   Now, what I DO have a ton of are lipsticks, lip tints, lip glosses, etc. And the problem is that I almost never wear more than a tinted balm to work :/ Fixing that ASAP! I want to go through my stash and have one or two colors that I add to my Project Pan and maybe they will be close to gone by the time 100 days rolls around!

o   I have a bunch of BB/CC creams that I haven’t been able to wear because the coverage just isn’t enough to handle my PIH right now. I want to try going through them and wearing them to see if the colors even work for me, and if not then tossing or saving for summer if they work well enough.

o   Keep up with trading lists and try to get as much of my trade pile out as possible. Tired of it just sitting around. If it doesn’t look like it will be traded, donate it.

o   I’ve been doing really well with posting my “empties” and it’s kept me motivated to use up more stuff in my stash. Right now I have a lot of sample cleansers, moisturizers, and exfoliators that I need to go through so I’m going to concentrate on those instead of my full size items. I’ve already got them organized in their little bins for easy access to the next ones!

-          Allowances:

o   Replacements: I keep a pretty close eye on my stash and I think I'll only need to replace one or two things during the 100 days (powder and makeup wipes). I can only replace it if I don’t have ANY other options I could use.

o   Subs: Already cancelled Ipsy and my secondary BB. Keeping one BB, and allowing myself to buy the MemeBox Globals and Mask boxes but no others. Other than that, I’m thinking of allowing myself to buy one one-off bag/box a month but only if I see full spoilers and know that I would use/need/would be excited for everything. This is mostly for Blush Mystery beauty Bag and the Beauteque Bag since the values on items I know I will use can be great.

o   Books and study materials for self-study projects, but only in increments (finish one before starting another). This will also help with shopping since I won’t be spending my time making shopping carts.

o   No extras when grocery shopping. I am bad about just throwing extras into my shopping cart and that has really got to stop.

o   Birthday – I’ve received a few gift cards for Sephora and Ulta so I think I’ll save them for my Birthday in Feb. or if I need to replace something. I know I’ll be so tempted to splurge but I must have self control!

o   Events: Brothers B’Day and Decemberists concert trip. I know I’ll be spending a little extra on these events so I need to plan accordingly and not wait until it’s too late.

-          Rewards

o   At the end I plan on rewarding myself with a dermaroller and the Mario Badescu Vitamin C. I’ll budget it out so the money is ready when I hit my goal, but that’s all I can get. Mostly this is an encouragement to use the acid peels I already have to see if they work for my PIH or if I need to take the next step. If the peels work great, then I’ll re-evaluate my reward, but there will totally be one, ha.

Some the things I want to accomplish is finding dupes within my stash, and also looking to see how many of certain colors I have. I want the feeling of control over my money, instead of my money controlling me. I want to strengthen my willpower instead of  caving over sales, specials, deals and discounts.

I do like separate threads for each 10 day block of the 100. It will keep this main thread from become too unwieldy

For me, personally, I prefer a group activity over partners, but that is just me.
Can a mod pin this to the top then? with new threads every 10 days (and, lets be honest, very few of us really visiting this forum, so we chit chat a whole lot more), I feel like this thread would get buried and that kind of defeats the purpose.....

I haven't done a full-on prep per se. I do have a lot more makeup than a normal person, but not so much that I don't know what I have, so I feel set with that. I have a hard time parting with things (a definite problem!), and am only willing to get rid of something if it's gone bad, or if it really doesn't work for me after trying various approaches. I just hate the feeling of wasting something that I paid for. I did get rid of a few things that I just plain hated and dreaded using.

I'm also thinking of doing a project pan, to focus on a few choice items that I could finish. And I do plan on rotating eye palettes or single shadows and building looks around that. I tend to pull one or two out to use for a while and can make it a 10-day rotation to keep in line with the 10-day blocks.

Everyone ready?

One thing I think that will really help us get ready is thinking about what we want to accomplish. Not just 'not buying for 100 days', but what else we want? Do we want that feeling of control and willpower? To know we could rise to the challenge? To be able to direct that money into savings? Whatever it is, make sure to think hard on it, visualize it, and how it will feel. Remind yourself of that every time you get a craving to spend.
I'm pretty much ready and am feeling excited! I know that there will be a fresh influx of new goodies to play with on Christmas, and that should tide me over for at least a few days ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />, heheh.

My motivation is that I've let my finances get out of control these last few months, I have way more than I need, and I really want to see if I can stay the course for the next 100 days. I want to know how often I'll feel tempted, how strong the temptation, and how I will react. I think this will give me some insight into my spending habits, and how quick I have been to give into impulse purchases previously. Now I will be forced to just let deals go and be at peace with that, which will be a new outlook for me and a new mental muscle to flex. I want to see if I even care about missing deals after they have gone by and are behind me. Will I even remember how much I wanted something a month later?

After these 100 days go by, I hope to see some stuff used up, to gain a new perspective on acquiring and spending, and become more choosy about what comes into an already overflowing collection.

I need to join in on this.  My rules will be:

1. My 3 subs are fine but should try to weed one out by the 50 day point. NO NEW SUBS.

2. I'm allowed one small/reasonable purchase per month IF it is from an indie company and something that will either be unique to my collection or limited edition, but only if I've used up enough of my stash to balance said purchase out that month.

3. I can spend my Birchbox points at leisure, but only on something like a LE box or something like a home item.

4. No opening any new skincare products until I use up all that are currently open and absolutely no skincare purchases unless I truly run out of that item (which is very unlikely).

I'm already behind and it hasn't even started yet! I wanted to sort my makeup/skincare so that I'm using the stuff expiring soon first.. but I still need to do that. That's really the only prep I'm doing, otherwise I think I'm good to go.. will have to start on that tonight!

I keep most of my stuff pretty organized, so my biggest problem is that I organize everything and then stick it in a cabinet. And then I forget to use it. I keep my everyday makeup on the counter and then everything else (samples and backups) go into makeup bags and get put away. I organize everything by product type: hair stuff, eyeliners and mascaras, primers, skincare samples, and misc makeup samples. My biggest goal for this challenge (besides saving money) is using up what I have. With the exception of mascara samples, I tend to use up my main products and then rebuy them without using any of the samples I have. I think I'm going to pull a few samples of each product type out and put them in a box next to my everyday makeup. Then I'll force myself to use them up and then move on to something else!

I'm in! My rules are simple: no cosmetics at all, only skincare can be replaced (but not "stocked up") on, no subscriptions (I currently have none). Every week I will also try to treat myself a la Donna Meagle and Tom Haverford to a mini spa hour or two. I have a toddler, so getting a whole day to myself is probably not realistic, lol. But I'm sure hubby will be on board if it helps tame the beauty buying beast! Looking forward to posting updates and support.

Eeep I'm so glad I found you all! I am definitely IN! 

I'm not going to set any super specific rules for myself just what's below: 

• Total (almost) NO-BUY for 100 days, starting January 1st. Only exceptions are one birchbox account (will cut my second account for Jan 2015) and Julep, but only when it's an amazing collection where I have no existing dupes.  PopSugar Must Have box may also be purchased but ONLY with at least a $15 dollar off code and ONLY if I love 90% of what is the box.  That's it!! 
  • Replacements: I seriously will not run out of any makeup through April 2015 but if I run out of my skin cleanser or other daily products then I will purchase replacements of those. That's it! 

I'm SO pumped for this! 

I keep most of my stuff pretty organized, so my biggest problem is that I organize everything and then stick it in a cabinet. And then I forget to use it. I keep my everyday makeup on the counter and then everything else (samples and backups) go into makeup bags and get put away. I organize everything by product type: hair stuff, eyeliners and mascaras, primers, skincare samples, and misc makeup samples. My biggest goal for this challenge (besides saving money) is using up what I have. With the exception of mascara samples, I tend to use up my main products and then rebuy them without using any of the samples I have. I think I'm going to pull a few samples of each product type out and put them in a box next to my everyday makeup. Then I'll force myself to use them up and then move on to something else!
Much like yourself I keep my everyday makeup out and in plain sight.  In order to keep samples relatively organized and most importantly in plain sight I bought a couple of these.  The vast majority of my makeup samples fit.

Since the samples are in plain sight I seem to be reaching for my samples more than if they were stored in a drawer somewhere.

Someone tell me it's ok to toss a really pretty lipstick that smells super bad on application.  Not "gone rancid" bad, just "that's the way it's made" bad.  The scent/taste lasts a minute or less.  But realistically I don't reach for it because it's just gross.  And because I have *several* others to wear instead.

Latest posts

Back