January 1 2015, 100 Day No Buy Challenge

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone tell me it's ok to toss a really pretty lipstick that smells super bad on application.  Not "gone rancid" bad, just "that's the way it's made" bad.  The scent/taste lasts a minute or less.  But realistically I don't reach for it because it's just gross.  And because I have *several* others to wear instead.
If you don't love it, it's just taking up space and grossing you out. Have you ever thought, "Oh no, I can't find that lipstick that smells super gross! It would be perfect right now!" I doubt it. You're basically keeping garbage that happens to be in the shape of a lipstick.

How is everyone prepping for the challenge? Has everyone sorted their makeup yet? Will you sort before starting?

A couple of week ago I sorted mine into: Trash (has already been hauled away by our friendly garbage service) Keep, and Circular Swap/ Gift Exchange.  I'm going to go over my Keep pile with a gimlet eye and see what needs to be added to the CS/GE stash.

I have never been so excited about not spending!
I have my make up sorted by type and contained in various sizes of make up bags. I don't have a ton of make up. In fact, it all fits in one drawer of one of those plastic drawer units. My problem comes from buying skin care and body wash, lotion, etc. Oh and perfume...those are the things that I find that I am purchasing more than I need.

I have everything I own catalogued on a spreadsheet (love me a good spreadsheet!) so that I do know what I have and I do use what I have on a rotation basis. I really like the idea of breaking the no-buy into 10 day periods and giving myself a reward after successfully completing 100 days. Only the reward can't be in the form of "stuff" since the goal is not to bring more into my home. I just successfully completed the 33 day decluttering challenge and I really don't need to add items back into my home, lol.

Now the goal is to come up with 10 mini-rewards to celebrate my successes. I'm thinking along the lines of something simple like spa days at home, stopping for a treat at Starbucks or getting lunch with a friend. I'm trying to think of other ideas, but at the moment, ideas are elusive, lol.

I think I will also do my makeup rotation for 10 days at a time instead of the 7 or so days that I currently do. I have been slacking posting in the "Monday Club" thread, but I have been pulling things out to use.

Much like yourself I keep my everyday makeup out and in plain sight.  In order to keep samples relatively organized and most importantly in plain sight I bought a couple of these.  The vast majority of my makeup samples fit.

Since the samples are in plain sight I seem to be reaching for my samples more than if they were stored in a drawer somewhere.
That's a great idea!

I have committed myself to canceling birchbox for the time of this challenge.  I think I will do the same with julep unless they do textured polish because I just can't resist.  I love the things I get in my birchbox but I would really like to use these 100 days to run down my stash as much as possible.  What do you ladies think?  Is this a good idea or do you find getting a monthly sub kills lemmings?  I like the idea of spending absolutely $0 on beauty but I'm scared that I'm taking away a useful outlet that would keep me from messing up and overspending.  

I have committed myself to canceling birchbox for the time of this challenge.  I think I will do the same with julep unless they do textured polish because I just can't resist.  I love the things I get in my birchbox but I would really like to use these 100 days to run down my stash as much as possible.  What do you ladies think?  Is this a good idea or do you find getting a monthly sub kills lemmings?  I like the idea of spending absolutely $0 on beauty but I'm scared that I'm taking away a useful outlet that would keep me from messing up and overspending.  
I'm getting my last Julep box this year and then it's getting cancelled for the remainder of 2015 until Christmas next year. The only thing i hate about it though is that they absolutely cancel your account, they don't just put it on hold.... :/ do you know if by canceling you have to re-make a new account or...?

@@jaylilee I think I could reopen my same account but I was planning on just skipping every month because I'm nervous about losing privileges with their wonky system. I have been good about skipping though so I don't think that will be a problem for me.

If you don't love it, it's just taking up space and grossing you out. Have you ever thought, "Oh no, I can't find that lipstick that smells super gross! It would be perfect right now!" I doubt it. You're basically keeping garbage that happens to be in the shape of a lipstick.
It found a new happy home with my mother, who loves it and doesn't think it smells at all. One small accomplishment at a time.

It makes me feel so happy and inspired to read all the great replies to this thread!

It inspired me to think about what I want out of the project:

I NEED to lay off my charge/credit cards so the balances go down. I need to get and stay ahead on my many monthly bill payments as much as possible, in case I get paid late (this has been happening to me) or lose my job.

I WANT to have a clean, pretty, and organized room, not a room that looks like it is from an episode of hoarders. 

I WANT to enjoy other things, since all I do now is think of cosmetic shopping! I want to read, see movies, watch TV, listen to music, go to church, out to lunch, tea parties. I need and want to get back to doing a little transcription/writing work from home in my spare time.  I want my life back.

I want peace of mind instead of stress over bills.

I want to find a signature look/routine and learn how to fix myself - I am almost 49 and still do not know how.

Trying to organize, but it's tough - so much stuff, so little space. Watching project panners on You Tube. Waiting with hope for Jan 1! Hoping every one of my daily hauls is my last.

Subscriptions right now:

Glossybox - paid for one year, cannot cancel

Birchbox

Ipsy - on waitlist

Merry Christmas!

@@jaylilee I think I could reopen my same account but I was planning on just skipping every month because I'm nervous about losing privileges with their wonky system. I have been good about skipping though so I don't think that will be a problem for me.
yah. I just signed up recently so I do not have the option to skip every month like older subscribers can, which sucks...so for me, it's probably going to be cancel it for all of 2015 and start over again at some point x-x. 

Oh nevermind! I found out I can do "I'm out this month" monthly. So I'll probably do that all next year instead of shutting down because otherwise I lose my points ;-;

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm totally joining. i need this in my life. I'm all but down to my last dollar in my back account (in between jobs and don't get paid for this month's work until the end of next month  :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />) and I can't stop lurking makeup blogs and Sephora as if another red lipstick is somehow going to make all my money troubles go away....as if they wouldn't just add to it. Ugh. The beauty industry certainly does a number on us through its marketing huh? As someone mentioned earlier, they always make it seem like X product is going to totally change. your. life. when all it does is get thrown in a drawer with all the other crap that didn't turn you into Joan Smalls, or whichever supermodel suits your fancy, and fails to make your life so much better. 

My rules are fairly simple:

• No makeup until April 10th.

• Even when I am allowed to buy makeup at the conclusion of the challenge--NO BINGING. I've definitely noticed the tendency for folks (myself included) to get through a challenge like this and then when they're allowed to buy things, go nuts. Once I purchased a good $200 of makeup after completing month-long no-buy. Totally fail. There's nothing worse than accomplishing a wonderful goal and then basically going back to square one by ruining all that good work.

• Decrease eyeshadow, lipstick and blush size by 10% each. I'm a one product kind of gal in all other makeup categories but I tend to hoard the color products like brands will never make another color product ever again. I have to let some stuff go because looking at my stash of makeup and trying to figure out how I'm going to use it all fills me with insane dread.  

• Along with decreasing my color stash, let go of items that I might need if X situation occurs which never actually happens. I'm incredibly guilty of holding onto products I'm not overly fond of, like green eyeshadow for example, because maybe I'll have a party to go to and maybe I'll actually want to wear a green smokey eye. Except that never happens and even when I do have a party to attend, I stick with my favorite neutrals. So why exactly am I holding onto an useless shadow that's taking up space?

• Keep any and all lems pinned to my wishlist Pinterest board and determine if I still care about them come April 10th. Spoiler alert, I know I won't.

My goals for this project are that I'll eventually come to the realization that

1. Paying my debt is more nourishing for my life and peace of mind than owning whatever new product is on the market. I have serious CC debt and student loan debt and most recently, medical bill debt. I dream of the days I won't be carrying that around and sadly, I'm going to have to live like a miser for a bit until I can be free of all of that. That means no frivolous purchases like makeup for the forseeable future and beyond.
  2. I'm a basic b*tch lol. I really like one eye makeup look and that's mainly it. For special events I may change it up but I don't stray too far from my favorite look because I find it the most flattering. And that's okay. But why do I own a trillion eyeshadows for things like smokey eyes which is look I'm not particularly fond of on my particular eye shape? I am easily swayed by marketing and the idea that maybe I haven't figured out the most flattering look for me and MAYBE smokey eyes will change my life. They don't. I've always been jealous of women who just know their likes and dislikes extremely well and don't get caught up in wanting to try new things because they know what doesn't fit their lives/taste. I need to be more confident in myself like that.
  3. Having a small collection appeals to me on a visceral level as well. I just enjoy looking at minimalist folks stash and how well loved every thing is. It feels so calming to see a curated collection. Then I look at my stash and get a headache. That isn't right and the last thing I need to be doing is adding more garbage to it. 
Let's do this!

Alright looking for some advice, or a what would you do type scenario. Under the spolier in case it counts as enabling, I don't really think so but I'm not sure

So my original no buy rules included that I could use any gift cards I get for Christmas. Due to an extremely generous Christmas from my family and my in laws (which I was not expecting),  I'm left with a rather significant gift card balance to Sephora, Ulta, Etsy (indies), and Nordstrom after Christmas.

While my no buy is partly becasue of money, the main reason I want to do one is becasue I have so much STUFF it's kind of overwhelming and I know I'll never use it all. So part of me says don't use the gift cards, it would defeat the purpose of no buy  as I'd probably spend about that in cash during that 100 days anyways and it's just adding to the hoard, which is the whole thing I'm trying to avoid.

But that is so freaking HARD to know I can get pretties at zero oop actual money. Like I don't know if I can make it that far with gift card balances, you know? Anyone have any advice? I'm thinking maybe allow myself to spend ONE gift card (like a $30 ulta one or something) and then save the rest? Or use it on the one thing I know I'll run out of before no buy is over (face primer) and then that doesn't count? But then I wouldn't count that anyways really becasue I legitimately would need it and that seems so boring to use as gift money? Just looking for input/motivation maybe??

I'd say use it on the thing you need that you were going to buy anyway. That way you actually are SAVING money in no-buy. You would have bought the primer anyway with real money from your accounts, this way that money stays in your accounts, you get the thing you need and you're not accumulating. I'd save the rest for moments of weakness (they'll come in 100 days) and for a splurge at the end when fresh eyes might be a little more practical about what you really want to spend them on.

My 100 day rules I haven't thought of yet

I know the number one rules will be I still have to stay updated on current releases and keep posting in the enabler thread. I don't think it will be a complete no buy but I need to have a monthly budget for 3 months not just buy what I want. otherwise I need to think about my rules before the 1st

Good luck to all of us!

I was originally going to try to hold out for longer than 100 days (I sorted my stash yesterday and found 32 mascaras...).  But 100 days is a good start.  I recently got foundation on sale at Ulta so I shouldn't even need to buy that (but that would be my one exception if I ran out).

I'm not counting things like deodorant or toothpaste or floss because you really can't go without those.  I bought a huge UD eyelid primer over Black Friday weekend, too, and I have lots of samples from other brands, so I shouldn't need that.  And I just replenished my supply of Seche Vite topcoat so I'm good there, as well.

I do not need shampoo, conditioner, body wash, hair oil, detangling spray, any lip cosmetics, blush, mascara, eyeliner, cleanser, moisturizer, body lotion, body scrubs, peels, masks, exfoliators, serum, eye cream, etc.  I think I have enough toner to get through this, as well.  I may or may not run out of shave gel but I have like 4 partially-used ones in my shower so I'll work through those first.

1) No new subs!  And cancel at least one per month for the duration of the challenge and possibly longer.  My 1 year of Glossybox runs out early next year so that one'll go.  I gave myself a third Birchbox sub as a gift to get some points so that one will run out and be done (and I'll make myself let the points sit there).  And I'll make a choice between Petbox and BarkBox for my dog.  I'll pick at least one other to cancel as well (I'll count April as a month).  I already canceled all food subs because I was eating everything as soon as it got here.

2) I'm doing the panning a palette thing, too.  I love buying eyeshadow but I need to actually use the stuff.  I picked Coastal Scents Revealed 2.

3) The only money I can spend at Ulta is to get my hair dyed.  I do not want to go for 100 days without a touch-up or I will have light brown roots sprinkled with gray that are like 4 inches long, which would look horrid with long, black hair.  (I did recently get a trim, though, so I can avoid that until summer.)

4) The only new stuff I can bring in is if I got it for free (i.e., won it in a giveaway, someone sent it to me to review on Amazon, got a free sample, etc.).

5) After 100 days, I'll re-assess.  But I'm probably just going to stick with getting the essentials, if I've run out of them.  I'll likely watch Ulta for sales and good GWPs so I can get the most for my money (plus I should have accumulated some points by then).  I should probably set myself a monthly budget after that.

I've done OK with goals like this in the past.  In 2009 I decided I was on the way to becoming an animal hoarder so I stopped getting new pets.  I'm down to a more reasonable number and I only broke that resolution twice -- once when a cat walked in my back door and I couldn't find her owner (so I kept her) and once when my dog died so I got a new dog because I was really lost without a dog.  So I think I can do this, too!  (For me, only 2 new pets in almost 6 years is nothing short of remarkable...)

After all the Christmas shopping, and already feeling overwhelmed by end-of-year sales (not by my spending, but by ALL the sales, everywhere, constantly at this time of year), I am really looking forward to this 100 day challenge. Just being able to confidently say, "No! I'm not buying anything so I don't need to spend even another second thinking about what's for sale."

I'm a little nervous, but really really looking forward to this. Six days!

Alright looking for some advice, or a what would you do type scenario. Under the spolier in case it counts as enabling, I don't really think so but I'm not sure

So my original no buy rules included that I could use any gift cards I get for Christmas. Due to an extremely generous Christmas from my family and my in laws (which I was not expecting),  I'm left with a rather significant gift card balance to Sephora, Ulta, Etsy (indies), and Nordstrom after Christmas.

While my no buy is partly becasue of money, the main reason I want to do one is becasue I have so much STUFF it's kind of overwhelming and I know I'll never use it all. So part of me says don't use the gift cards, it would defeat the purpose of no buy  as I'd probably spend about that in cash during that 100 days anyways and it's just adding to the hoard, which is the whole thing I'm trying to avoid.

But that is so freaking HARD to know I can get pretties at zero oop actual money. Like I don't know if I can make it that far with gift card balances, you know? Anyone have any advice? I'm thinking maybe allow myself to spend ONE gift card (like a $30 ulta one or something) and then save the rest? Or use it on the one thing I know I'll run out of before no buy is over (face primer) and then that doesn't count? But then I wouldn't count that anyways really becasue I legitimately would need it and that seems so boring to use as gift money? Just looking for input/motivation maybe??

Unless any of them are expiring I'd recommend saving them for the must-have purchases like the primer but only when you need it. 

I know for me it isn't just the money that's spent but it's also the shopping mentality and that need to get all of the pretty things. That's just my perspective though and it totally depends on how you spend.  

Still haven't had a chance to sort my makeup but I did unsubscribe from practically every site with promotional emails and blogs that promote a lot of shopping. My online reading options have gone down significantly! I might need a new hobby. 

I also like the idea of separate threads for each 10 days but don't think I can do an accountability partner. I think we can each decide if that would be helpful. I like the ease of group accountability.

When I first posted I said I was starting the challenge early and so far it's gone pretty well. I used to have a habit of buying everything that nobody else bought off my Christmas wish list since it would drive me a little nuts to have wish list items lingering for years and years. (Usually books and stuff.) This year I just moved everything into private lists where I track things I want.

Here's the only weakness (putting in spoiler so it doesn't trigger anyone): 

I mentioned I wasn't going to add any subs but I did resub to Quarterly MSA the other day. It won't bill/ship until March (or later, knowing Quarterly) but I still feel this was a bit of a cheat, particularly since I have a monstrous number of subs already.

I'm going to list everything below as a little exercise in being conscientious:

- Birchbox 1 (annual prepaid)

- Birchbox 2 (3 month prepaid; won't renew)

- PSMH (monthly)

- Skandicrush (monthly)

- Oui Please (annual prepaid)

- SquareHue (monthly)

- Elizabeth & Clarke (quarterly)

- Sample Society (monthly)

- Turntable Kitchen (monthly)

- Petit Vour (monthly - just about to receive my first box so I want to check it out)

- Scentbird 1 (monthly)

- Scentbird 2 (6 month prepaid)

- Nina Garcia Quarterly (quarterly)

- MSA Quarterly (quarterly)

- Nicky Hilton Fancy (monthly)

- Coco Rocha Fancy (monthly)

- Rockettes Fancy (monthly)

- Fabletics (monthly but always cancel; I'm too lazy to call them)

- Bespoke Post (monthly but always cancel; will cancel if I don't have to call)

- Club W (monthly but I almost always cancel; I'll leave this just in case)

In reviewing that list I am going to cancel the ones I bolded above today and maybe that will counteract the MSA cheat. 

So my original no buy rules included that I could use any gift cards I get for Christmas. Due to an extremely generous Christmas from my family and my in laws (which I was not expecting), I'm left with a rather significant gift card balance to Sephora, Ulta, Etsy (indies), and Nordstrom after Christmas.

While my no buy is partly becasue of money, the main reason I want to do one is becasue I have so much STUFF it's kind of overwhelming and I know I'll never use it all. So part of me says don't use the gift cards, it would defeat the purpose of no buy as I'd probably spend about that in cash during that 100 days anyways and it's just adding to the hoard, which is the whole thing I'm trying to avoid.

But that is so freaking HARD to know I can get pretties at zero oop actual money. Like I don't know if I can make it that far with gift card balances, you know? Anyone have any advice? I'm thinking maybe allow myself to spend ONE gift card (like a $30 ulta one or something) and then save the rest? Or use it on the one thing I know I'll run out of before no buy is over (face primer) and then that doesn't count? But then I wouldn't count that anyways really becasue I legitimately would need it and that seems so boring to use as gift money? Just looking for input/motivation maybe??
My recommendation would be to keep the card with the lowest amount to use for repurchasing staples during the challenge. Hide the rest away where you can't see them or give them to a friend for safekeeping. If you complete the 100 day challenge successfully (no cheating or loopholes!), use the gift cards to reward yourself after! You could keep a list of everything you felt like buying as you go and then see if you still want any of those items at the end. Now.. if you DON'T successfully complete the challenge, donate those gift cards to a women's shelter or give them away to friends! This will be an extra motivation to do really well and stick to the promise you've made yourself, although keeping a promise to yourself is already important enough. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Don't cheat yourself, you can be stronger than that. That's the approach I'd take.. good luck!

Hello, Thankyou for creating this forum

For 100 days starting from today. I will stop purchasing makeup skincare and hair care unless I have run out. 

I find it particularly hard to pick 10 items and do a project pan as a reward for me to purchase new items. Also I find it almost impossible to finish a powder or lip products. 

This is what i am going to do everytime I finish a product I am going to enter into my book. This way it looks like a project pan. Will my version. I will do this until I know which I items I use up the fastest. I will also note which items i need to repurchase. This will help me create a budget for 2016.

Rule

No make up skincare hair care purchase unless nothing else is available for 100 days!

I need to do this! I have lots of items from subsription boxes that need to be used up. Rules for me:

1. No new sub boxes. I may drop a few subs!

2. No beauty/skincare/haircare purchases unless I absolutely need it. My skin is very sensitive. I may need to buy a cleanser etc. if I run out and there is nothing else that works in my stockpile. I don't want to agitate my skin. This will be only after I exhaust all possibilities in my stockpile.

Not sure what other rules to have.

Someone tell me it's ok to toss a really pretty lipstick that smells super bad on application.  Not "gone rancid" bad, just "that's the way it's made" bad.  The scent/taste lasts a minute or less.  But realistically I don't reach for it because it's just gross.  And because I have *several* others to wear instead.
Someone already answered this but I agree that if you don't like the taste of a lipstick then get rid of it. 

Which reminds me, I have a lip gloss that tastes like licking the inside of an old woman's handbag that I should toss. I have way too many better options that are more palatable.

Latest posts

Back