Julep Plié Wands: thoughts, rants, raves, confusion, and hopefully not too much panic or expense.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by shutterblog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm really excited about it just because of chronic joint/muscle pain and being willing to try anything that might bring relief.  Plus I love new gadgets.

That said, I'm one of the suckers who bought one of these before my wedding 18 years ago, so I'm probably not the best person to judge what the 'latest and greatest' is.  
wink.gif

LOL.  Are you saying the aerobic slide board didn't work?

Quote: Originally Posted by Lulubelle107 /img/forum/go_quote.gif LOL.  Are you saying the aerobic slide board didn't work?

Unfortunately YouTube did not exist in 1996 - so any potential benefit of owning one was totally lost.  
hahaha.gif
inv.gif

I'm going to pass on this one.  Looks pretty gimmicky to me.  I am one of the lucky few who is able to polish my nails with minimal cleanup so I think this would just be wasted on me.  I am curious to hear how those of you who get one like using it.  I can see it possibly being useful for painting toes.

Quote: Originally Posted by shutterblog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm really excited about it just because of chronic joint/muscle pain and being willing to try anything that might bring relief.  Plus I love new gadgets.

That said, I'm one of the suckers who bought one of these before my wedding 18 years ago, so I'm probably not the best person to judge what the 'latest and greatest' is.  
wink.gif

Maybe it was gimmicky but that looks super fun.

The reason it has the hole is for stability. If it was just a magnet the two pieces would just slide around. I may end up preordering but we'll see. I have skipped all the boxes lately. My nails keep breaking and peeling. They finally started growing again and then we went to vegas and the weather and lazy river at the hotel trashed my nails again. I was applying lotion to my entire body 3x a day in Las Vegas! They are once again starting to grow and not just peel off so maybe I will start wearing and buying nail polish again.

Quote: Originally Posted by wadedl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The reason it has the hole is for stability. If it was just a magnet the two pieces would just slide around.

I may end up preordering but we'll see. I have skipped all the boxes lately. My nails keep breaking and peeling. They finally started growing again and then we went to vegas and the weather and lazy river at the hotel trashed my nails again. I was applying lotion to my entire body 3x a day in Las Vegas! They are once again starting to grow and not just peel off so maybe I will start wearing and buying nail polish again.
This!  i was thinking this too, that the bending moment created when painting your nails would probably cause it to slide around unless the magnets are super duper powerful.

I would hope that in one of the early iterations of the product that they tried to make something to fit around the existing cap, so that the square caps and the plie caps would be interchangeable and it just didn't work out, because it really does feel like they are trying to get us to buy into their plie system (and spend more money).  i wonder if box prices will change because of it.

Quote: Originally Posted by Lulubelle107 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Why would everyone feel the need to buy new caps for the old bottles though, when they've been using the old system all along?  If the Plie is worthwhile, you've got it for the new bottles going forwards, but I'm not anticipating a huge enough difference that I would want to replace all my old bottle caps. 

I do think Julep's propensity with hyperbole regarding their new products (DD cream, anyone?) tends to bite them in the butt.  OTOH, they've almost met their $75,000 goal, in what, two days?  So maybe it's working for them. 
I just looked & they have exceeded their goal.  So, I guess Mavens are jumping on the bandwagon.  For me I subscribed to Julep for the the polish and the ability to skip months I wasn't interested in.  I'm not interested at all in the new wand & plan on skipping in May already unless they have an awesome It Girl box that month.

Part of me is interested... I want to know what it's all about and if it's really easier to apply polish with this tool. Not enough to pre-order though for sure so I'll just be on the look out for reviews and posts in May! What I wonder about this system is if the new caps are ones that can replace the pull-off black part of the cap, in which case you don't really need lots of extras since you keep the same brush and base cap on all your polishes. We would be able to just remove the black cap, place this one on and ta-da! 

For money reasons, they probably want us to have to replace the full cap-and-brush part of each polish... 

About this time last week I was so done with Julep, then they come up with this grr... I'm intrigued, I have issues painting with my non dominant hand, but I'm trying to wait for reviews before buying it or deciding to cancel or not. Now I didn't ordered right away because I have close to 100 juleps so it will be costly to change those bottle caps, but then I see they added this to their croudfounding page.. : "What does this mean for my existing polish collection? If you have a Julep polish collection, we have a plan. (A GREAT plan that includes FREE Plié caps to make it easy for you to convert your collection). Details to follow closer to our launch, but rest assured we'll take good care of you. After all, collectors like you are our most loyal Mavens!." If they make it a good deal I'll most likely join the trend. Most of my nail polish are julep, I rarely buy other brands so it would work out Ok for me. But only if they do have a good deal for us addicts... I meant collectors hehe to replace the caps.

I preordered it before I realized that it wouldn't work with their existing caps. I subscribed last August, so I don't have THAT many, but I've ordered a few extra here and there too. I'm just planning on cleaning the plie wand if it's really that good to be able to use it with any of my polishes, including non-Julep. It's a bummer the swatch stickers are going away. That's one of the things I've really loved about Julep over some of the other brands that have rounded tops. 

My prediction is that it'll have something to do with social media/free advertising. Like show us a photo of all your Juleps, and we'll send you enough Plie caps for it. The new wand/change for caps should be a really big deal, so they should be going crazy with promotions and incentives for people to stay with Julep (or to sign up). Especially with the recent changes regarding skipping, and hints that the free polish for three boxes in a row might be going away.

I was one of the mavens that got to try the wand in California. I have to say it was cool. The long handle made it much much easier to paint your toes and your non-dominant hand. The wand is heavier then a polish brush but it's not uncomfortable. It's actually quite ergonomic and gives you a lot of control.

That being said, I am probably going to wait to order one. I just don't paint my nails that much for this to be of value to me. Also I agree with some of the other posters about the polishes being hard to gift.  I bought a lot of polishes to give to teachers as Christmas gifts.  They loved them and I would have done it again except it would look weird to give them a polish you need a plie wand for.

Quote: Originally Posted by mini-cake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I was one of the mavens that got to try the wand in California. I have to say it was cool. The long handle made it much much easier to paint your toes and your non-dominant hand. The wand is heavier then a polish brush but it's not uncomfortable. It's actually quite ergonomic and gives you a lot of control.

That being said, I am probably going to wait to order one. I just don't paint my nails that much for this to be of value to me. Also I agree with some of the other posters about the polishes being hard to gift.  I bought a lot of polishes to give to teachers as Christmas gifts.  They loved them and I would have done it again except it would look weird to give them a polish you need a plie wand for.
I'm a bit confused.  Do you have to use the plie wand with the new polishes, or is it just an option?  The new polishes still have their own brush under the cap, correct?

@mini-cake, I didn't even think about painting toes!  I sometimes go an embarassingly long time without changing the polish on my toes because it's so awkward for me to polish them.

@Lulubelle107, I think there's some uncertainty about how long the magnetic caps are, and whether they will be long enough to use easliy/comfortably without the wand.

@gypsiemagic why they didn't just keep the "overcap" is my biggest question.  Maybe they'll change their minds on that point.

As I said on the other board, I pre-ordered simply because if this is the way Julep is going, I'd rather know whether it works for me or not. If so, great, I'll see what they offer as far as new caps for the old bottles and switch those I use a lot. If it doesn't work, and if trying to use the new caps without the wand is too challenging, then I'll just cancel my sub. I've got all of the current colors I want at this point, and typically only buy things from the new collections. As I expect that all new colors from May will be in the new bottles, if I don't like them, I won't be buying anything else from Julep, so why keep the sub and have to remember to skip every month?

But my husband often teases me about my need to try anything new, complicated and expensive, so maybe I'm just rationalizing my desire to try something that is certainly new and sort-of complicated.

Quote: Originally Posted by Lulubelle107 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I give Julep props for being innovative.  It does sound like this one has the potential to be a problem solver for at least some users.  I'm not particularly envisioning the new caps to be a problem to use, so I guess I'm neutral about the whole thing.  I'll probably preorder just out of curiosity.  Not sure about the nail dotting and striping tool, will depend on the cost to add on.
That's about how I'm feeling about it.  I went ahead and ordered it, cause what the heck, it's more intriguing to me than the beauty products they've been tacking on here lately.  At least it's a nail tool to go with their nail subscription box.  If I hate it, no biggie...I'll just hang out and see what else they come up with.  No one is forcing me to give any of my money to them.

While I own a goodly number of Juleps, they honestly are not the first I reach for. So investing the money (and storage space, thank you tiny apartment) on something I will use so rarely is not enticing. I don't hate it. I don't think the new bottles will be much of a personal challenge, though I see where they may be for some. If someone comes out with something that works on a wider variety of brands/cap styles, I'll more than likely give it a shot.

i wonder what colors will be included with the preorders (just reading through them again trying to decide if it's worth it or not).

$20: 2 new colors

$40: 2 of their favorites

$65: 5 of their favorites

and the rest are of their favorites.  so do i have to go cheap to get the new colors?  if it's their favorites from existing collections, then we might get dupes?  has anybody asked this on facebook and received a response?

EDITED to add-

The total now is $88,036 from 3999 funders.  just over $22 per person.  so i guess existing mavens are just preordering for their boxes since they will get them anyways, since the $20 preorder is just for mavens.

and i guess the $20 is just for existing mavens.  i hope the painting accessories do not cost more than the $65 box option available to non-mavens.

From the site: 

If I don’t pre-order, will I still be able get it in my May Maven Box?

We’ve been thrilled with the initial response to our crowdfunding effort and anticipate that all Mavens will have the option to get a Plié Wand in May. Reserve yours today so you will be one of the first to receive it when available.

It seems to me that there is no benefit to preordering now rather than ordering when the window opens in April. I have enough Jules to get a free box, so I'm just going to wait until April unless someone can convince me it makes more sense to do otherwise.

I think the only reason why I want this is so that I can test its groundbreaking-ness. I don't really have a problem with my current Juleps, but I'm up for anything that could be "the next big thing." I think I'm the demographic that companies like Julep target... :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

The new caps don't seem like they will be too difficult to work with. So, that's really not a biggie for me.

My issue is. I'm pretty OCD and now my Julep box is going to look so screwed up. It'll drive me nuts.

About the wand. I don't wanna pre-order. It's just something I don't care too much about since I finally mastered how to paint the nails on my dominant hand. I might get it in May though if it's in the boxes that month.

I didn't pre-order, either.  When I looked at the announcement, they'd already raised most of the money, I figured they'd get enough for everyone and no need for me to pre-order.

I'm not super excited about the new caps.  I'm pretty good at painting both hands, with minimal clean-up.  Bascially, I wait for my nails to dry, take a shower and wash my hair, and any little bit that was outside the lines just gets washed away.  I just don't think I need an extra tool.

If the caps end up being shorter and difficult to hold without the new tool, I will be thinking about cancelling.  This, added on to the fact that I became a maven the first week of January (so not grandmothered into the old skip policy), I'm a little peeved with Julep.

I'm also irked that they are doing all this crowd sourcing when there was just a big announcement and article about all these huge investors.  Julep wants me to think that they are distributing at Sephora and Nordstom (or whichever high end  department store; I can't remember which one right now), yet they still need to crowd source $75,000? Really Julep?

Back