Julep Plié Wands: thoughts, rants, raves, confusion, and hopefully not too much panic or expense.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by hellorigby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  It's a bummer the swatch stickers are going away.

This is a x-post from the spoiler thread, but I thought I'd post it here in case anyone misses it there...

I needed new swatch stickers last night, but I keep reading that a lot of the stickers ordered as add-ons last month haven't arrived yet.  I also didn't really want to sink $$ into something that might be obsolete soon with the new Plié-compatible caps.  So I made my own.

I put the file up on Imgur (link below) if anyone wants to download it - it's a .jpg file and 8.5 x 11" (2550 x 3300 pixels).  You can buy Avery sticker sheets at Amazon (or Staples, Office Depot, etc.) to print on.  I sliced them into strips with a paper cutter after they printed and then cut them out as needed.  Each sheet has 35 swatch stickers.

The file link is here - just right-click, "Save As":  http://i.imgur.com/zA8lMC6.jpg

Let me know if you have any problems with it!

Quote: Originally Posted by shutterblog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  It's a bummer the swatch stickers are going away.

This is a x-post from the spoiler thread, but I thought I'd post it here in case anyone misses it there...

I needed new swatch stickers last night, but I keep reading that a lot of the stickers ordered as add-ons last month haven't arrived yet.  I also didn't really want to sink $$ into something that might be obsolete soon with the new Plié-compatible caps.  So I made my own.

I put the file up on Imgur (link below) if anyone wants to download it - it's a .jpg file and 8.5 x 11" (2550 x 3300 pixels).  You can buy Avery sticker sheets at Amazon (or Staples, Office Depot, etc.) to print on.  I sliced them into strips with a paper cutter after they printed and then cut them out as needed.  Each sheet has 35 swatch stickers.

The file link is here - just right-click, "Save As":  http://i.imgur.com/zA8lMC6.jpg

Let me know if you have any problems with it!

Hope you don't mind, I modified your Swatch Me! stickers to essentially double it so it wouldn't waste sticker paper. It's not as good/even as yours but I hate wasting space.

http://cdn.makeuptalk.com/f/f0/f08a314e_swatchme.jpeg

Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hope you don't mind, I modified your Swatch Me! stickers to essentially double it so it wouldn't waste sticker paper. It's not as good/even as yours but I hate wasting space.

http://cdn.makeuptalk.com/f/f0/f08a314e_swatchme.jpeg

Don't mind at all - thank you!

I only needed about 8 or 9 last night so I did space them out a bit on a grid.  In my version, I have a 1/4" solid color strip on the left side of each row all the way down the page - so that's where I made my cut marks with the paper trimmer.  I used the black borders on the top, bottom, and right as my cut-guides before peeling it off the paper - then when the adhesive back was removed, I would cut down the final black line on the left side.  Since some of those were in the middle of the page, I knew I'd have to bend a corner to separate the sticker from the adhesive paper - and I didn't want a "bend" mark on my swatch sticker.  I'm kinda OCD - so there was sorta a method to my madness.  
wink.gif

Thanks again!  Those are there for anyone that wants to use 'em, any way you want to format 'em.  Have at it!

@shutterblog what a great idea! totally using these for all of my polishes, not just julep ones! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

I think I'm going to do the same honestly!

Would anyone want a set about that size, but a circle instead of a square?  They might be a bit harder for you to cut out unless you have a steady hand (or a punch that size).  But if you would like another version, just say the word!

Quote: Originally Posted by Lulubelle107 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm a bit confused.  Do you have to use the plie wand with the new polishes, or is it just an option?  The new polishes still have their own brush under the cap, correct?
The wand snaps on to the lid of the polish brush. So yes the polish hsa it's own brush but it also has a little hole on the lid for the plie wand to snap in to. So if you gifted the polish to someone it just doesn't look as elegant as the old bottle.

I just got an update email on the crowdfunding efforts (trying to raise the last $50K in a few days), and check out what it said at the bottom:

"p.s. You asked, we listened. We've refined the Plié cap design so you can maintain your current collection AND use the Plié Wand. Simply snap on a Plié overcap to polish your nails, then replace it with the standard square cap when you're done!"

This is great news!!!
claps.gif
  They really listened!

I just wonder if the new polishes from May onward will still have the plie overcap, or if they will keep the old caps.  Seems like it would be cheaper to produce the plain old caps, as long as you can switch out the plie cap as needed.

Quote: Originally Posted by Andi B /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I just got an update email on the crowdfunding efforts (trying to raise the last $50K in a few days), and check out what it said at the bottom:

"p.s. You asked, we listened. We've refined the Plié cap design so you can maintain your current collection AND use the Plié Wand. Simply snap on a Plié overcap to polish your nails, then replace it with the standard square cap when you're done!"

This is great news!!!
claps.gif
  They really listened!

I just wonder if the new polishes from May onward will still have the plie overcap, or if they will keep the old caps.  Seems like it would be cheaper to produce the plain old caps, as long as you can switch out the plie cap as needed.
yay.gif
 :'] Bless. I will DEFINITELY pre-order my May box now.

I wish they would do only an over-cap and keep square caps on the new bottles. I don't have any issues painting my nails and I think the plie caps are just ugly. Plus, I have bought a TON of polish as gifts and it now I will have to buy a plie wand to go with each gift I send out otherwise the polishes will just look dumb. Ugh, still annoyed.

Quote: Originally Posted by stephstrong /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wish they would do only an over-cap and keep square caps on the new bottles. I don't have any issues painting my nails and I think the plie caps are just ugly. Plus, I have bought a TON of polish as gifts and it now I will have to buy a plie wand to go with each gift I send out otherwise the polishes will just look dumb. Ugh, still annoyed.

This is exactly what I'm hoping for. I do think the plie wand *might* help me, but I'd rather just have one overcap that I can switch out as needed and keep the square caps on my entire collection, both old and new.

So excited that they listened to those of you who expressed concerns to them about it. I was a litte :/ on it, but am really happy I don't have to worry about having a wacky collection of Juleps! 
claps.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by gypsiemagic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  HUZZAH!!!

I know its not exactly the solution I drew up, but just as good! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Lol, I think it's EXACTLY the solution you drew up.

Quote: Originally Posted by Andi B /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is great news!!!
claps.gif
  They really listened!

That's awesome and makes so much more sense! I actually might be interested in trying it now.  I have no idea how this wasn't the plan in the first place. 

My only question is, I thought the magnetic round caps were not removable? So does that mean they don't need them at all anymore and the plie wand will just be 1 piece now, instead of 2? If the wand requires cap removal now, I don't see the point of the round ones or the magnets at all now.  Anyone else confused on that?

Quote: Originally Posted by Lolo22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  That's awesome and makes so much more sense! I actually might be interested in trying it now.  I have no idea how this wasn't the plan in the first place. 

My only question is, I thought the magnetic round caps were not removable? So does that mean they don't need them at all anymore and the plie wand will just be 1 piece now, instead of 2? If the wand requires cap removal now, I don't see the point of the round ones or the magnets at all now.  Anyone else confused on that?

No you're not the only one.  I still have a lot of questions, but I feel like they're at least moving in the right direction.  It just doesn't make sense to me (especially after all the complaints) to put the magnetic caps on all of the polishes from May going forward, because I think that would be more expensive to produce than the plain square caps they've always had.  Wouldn't it make more sense (and more money for them) to just include one interchangeable magnetic cap (if it is in fact a separate piece from the wand) in the May box, and then sell more as add-ons or whatever for anyone who really wants more of the magnetic caps?  Just my random thoughts.

Quote: Originally Posted by TooMuchElectric /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  HUZZAH!!!

I know its not exactly the solution I drew up, but just as good! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Lol, I think it's EXACTLY the solution you drew up.

Yeah, only now they only have to give everybody 1 plie cap, so thats better for them, I was thinking the default inner cap would be plie and the outer shell would snap on, i *think* they are making it so you snap on either the plie OR the outer plastic cap.

I feel full of cosmetic inspiration this week, I had mocked up a Naked: Brights pallette on Reddit like 14 months ago, and a girl from UD said she loved it and would pass it on,  the new Electric pallete looks so damn close to what I mocked up.

hmm, is it weird i was hoping they would reach out and say thanks for contributing, we loved your idea, actually we loved it so much we used it   :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

hmm, is it weird i was hoping they would reach out and say thanks for contributing, we loved your idea, actually we loved it so much we used it   :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

A little; only in that you're kind enough to ONLY expect that!

I think it's wrong they didn't reach out to say

Thanks for contributing. We claimed we paid a top design firm that specializes in ergonomics, and of course we have all of us with business and "connection" specializations on our end, and that we went through eleventy billion redesigns, but for some reason, we forgot to hire anyone with a damn lick of common sense. We are so grateful that someone with no financial stake in this came through and did the final redesign, for FREE, that apparently no one on this whole team for 58 gazillion dollars could figure out: the incompetent solutions design firm should hire you to fill the gap they obviously have, but, short of that, we'd at least like to offer two or thirty plies to "connect" with your girlfriends and name a color after you. 

I mean, it was a far smaller leap from your drawing to their design change (which--let's be honest--COULD make the difference in their company survival: I'm NOT someone who cared much one way or the other, but I suspect that, had the resulting "maven bleed" been even a fraction of those who claimed they'd leave, coupled with the fallout from what I would think HAD to be a far greater production cost to put goddamn magnets on EVERY bottle of nail polish vs. making it an add-on option at both the maven and retail ends) than it was from the little kid who glued swatch nails to the top of her bottles to making the swatch stickers, and they made her a mini-Julep-celebrity (and, indeed, based on the reaction at this point, the swatch stickers did indeed help add to the loyalty many seemed to feel toward the design, so their showing their appreciation to her inspiration turned out to be both appropriate and probably a good business move).

Maybe you could put your hair in pigtails in your profile pic? I don't know how old you are, but you look pretty young anyway; if the had a lick of damn sense--which they've already shown, at least wrt this rollout, that they do not--they'd use the opportunity to show their appreciation TO YOU, w/o it costing them almost anything, as another marketing op: Meet the young maven who helped save our business your cohesive Julep collection and, for the special Maven price of only $11.20, complete with add-on Plie cap, buy a new bottle of the beautiful new polish named in her honor, Gypsie Magic. You know that, since she helped design it, it won't even drip down the bottle and ruin your mani (it's like magic! And ... well ... most $0.99-$9.99 bottles of polish. Ssssh)."

But, ya know, I guess if they aren't going to pay you* or give you a job or free shit and a special Gypsie polish for making their product not suck and keeping the Facebook crazies calm, a thank you note would be appropriate to hope for.

*By the way, at first, my reaction was that their design change seemed to be what a LOT of people suggested (either as a true "do it this way to improve it" suggestion or an inability to read/comprehend misunderstanding). But, seeing the video now, even if many others said/thought/wanted it like that (myself included, which makes one questions why on earth that wasn't done to begin with if it IS possible: I assumed that, since they WEREN'T, that there must be some design reason it couldn't work that way, as it seemed like such a more obvious move than the absurd, convoluted, and alienating process through which they were going. But, as they now ARE doing it, that's clearly not the case ...), YOU are the one who almost immediately drew up an image and posted it, not only online but on THEIR [through their own evidence, highly used for feedback and response] facebook page. Shoulda patented that thing :) So, yeah, a "thanks, and May is on us" is the least they can do." 

Back