June 2012 No-Buy Support Group

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've unsubscribed from Klutchclub (saaaaaaaaad), am canceling glossybox at the moment, and emailed to cancel beauty army. That leaves me with Julep, Cravebox, and birchbox. (I think???) My birchbox is annual, julep is skippable, cravebox is only 10. That takes me to a max of 30/month on subs, if I get Julep. Which honestly, July is the first  I've paid for since February.

I take that back...I can't figure out how to cancel glossybox. I'm going to email, though. 

I canceled Birchbox yesterday, I just haven't been that impressed with their samples. This leaves me with BA and only because I get to choose what I want. Though if I keep having to deal with shipping issues, I may end up canceling them as well.

I've lost count on my no buy at this point, I haven't bought anything since starting so I think I am on 90+ days at this point? I really have no clue. LOL

I actually went back to Birchbox, cancelling Glossybox, cancelled stylemint, and I can skip Julep. So, not too bad. 

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Has anyone figured out HOW to cancel Glossybox?
I think you've gotta call or email. No button on the site. 

I've emailed AND used the contact form; got VM when I called. Just feeling a wee bit leery of being able to process this via email since they seem not to be super-responsive.

I've emailed AND used the contact form; got VM when I called. Just feeling a wee bit leery of being able to process this via email since they seem not to be super-responsive.
Good point. Their CS is SERIOUSLY lacking big time. I think I'm going to cancel my card after I get my box. I'm leery of all of these CC issues and their CS. 

Ugh I just caved and bought three things off the ELF site. They were $10 total including shipping but I needed more cosmetics like I need another hole in the head.

Originally Posted by princess2010 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ugh I just caved and bought three things off the ELF site. They were $10 total including shipping but I needed more cosmetics like I need another hole in the head.
Same here! I saw on the sircle samples thread that NARS lip glosses will be up this weekend. Gah, I want one! I totally don't need one, though. Plus, the last thing I need to do is sit by my computer waiting for some lip glosses I don't need to pop up. 

To give them credit, GB says they've already processed my cancellation, so I should just get the one box from them. Shoulda listened to my instincts on that one, I guess (especially since everyone was SO convinced they were THE BB-killer, so to speak). Now that my birthday is past, I'm taking low-buy seriously again. My JULY challenge for myself is to spend $50 or less on ALL beauty junk--including getting my brows done, etc. We shall see how it goes.

You ladies give me such inspiration for my own no-buy. I recently became beauty obsessed within the last year, so my problem is being sooo excited over everything I see. I'm hoping to seriously limit my spending in the next few months, we'll see how that goes..haha. 

I agree with the beauty obsession! I started with a BB sub in April and added 4 more immediately after! Began making all kinds of purchases because i would get so excited by getting a good deal or another item would equal free shipping and blah blah blah...excuses lol. I've always been a little impulsive and a binge shopper, so it comes and goes. So today, I made my last online purchase for a few weeks..trying to go for 3...and did well. I got some mini creme foundations and a good corrector palette, which i needed! My tire got a major flat and had to be replaced(for free thanks to my awesome warranty), so I killed time and walked through TJ Maxx. No cart, but that never makes a difference lol! I managed to have both arms full of Philosophy and hair products in no time. Somehow, I managed to put everything back and walk out empty handed. It was disappointing for a moment, but then I felt relieved because not one single item was something I really needed at the moment! So I've decided to stick with my subs and cut my shopping. I'm trying to buy on a need, not want basis only. Plus, no online shopping for the next few weeks! Thanks ladies for the inspiration and drive!

I was so tempted to do the Dermstore mystery bag, but I decided I would much rather just purchase a few items for myself that I KNOW I would like. So, today I got 2 Rimmel lipsticks, a Rimmel bronzer, and a Revlon lip butter. I have no idea why this made him so excited, but I let el hubs pick out all of the lippie colors and I've gotta say, he did a pretty good job. 

I haven't been tempted by HE products at ALL lately. Thank goodness, because they are way out of budget. 

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was so tempted to do the Dermstore mystery bag, but I decided I would much rather just purchase a few items for myself that I KNOW I would like. So, today I got 2 Rimmel lipsticks, a Rimmel bronzer, and a Revlon lip butter. I have no idea why this made him so excited, but I let el hubs pick out all of the lippie colors and I've gotta say, he did a pretty good job. 

I haven't been tempted by HE products at ALL lately. Thank goodness, because they are way out of budget. 
The beauty of drugstore brands is that you can get them for next to nothing with some coupons! I got 12 Revlon lippies for .99 ea one time! I could use another bronzer, I've managed to hit pan on my large face/body one.

The only BAD thing about drugstore brands (presuming you're cautious about which ones you get, of course) is that it is SOOOOO easy to wind up hoarding like crazy just because you got a great deal on it. I realized I'm guilty of this when I looked at how many damn Lip Butters I have.

The only BAD thing about drugstore brands (presuming you're cautious about which ones you get, of course) is that it is SOOOOO easy to wind up hoarding like crazy just because you got a great deal on it. I realized I'm guilty of this when I looked at how many damn Lip Butters I have.
Exactly how I ended up with extra lippies lol. I've traded and gifted a few, so I think I only have 3 rotating in my purses and 2 back ups left. Jeez..still a lot, but my friend's always ask me for extra gloss when we're out n about.

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Exactly how I ended up with extra lippies lol. I've traded and gifted a few, so I think I only have 3 rotating in my purses and 2 back ups left. Jeez..still a lot, but my friend's always ask me for extra gloss when we're out n about.
Heh, yeah, I swear I give away more than I keep when it comes to beauty stuffs. That's why I'm trying to buy CONSCIOUSLY now. No Buy made me crave EVERYTHING, but CONSCIOUS buying is not only keeping me from hoarding, but making sure that I really try out and enjoy the things that I do buy :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Since I've gone so bonkers and overspent the last few months, I'm now trying to really weigh the need vs want when I make purchases now. The only thing I need to buy at the moment is a full size foundation. But I ordered some sample pots, which will give me several uses. So after my weekend of working 12 hr night shifts is up, I'm clipping some coupons and restocking my Revlon foundation. I'm probably going to purchase that L'Oreal BB cream at that time, especially if i have a coupon for it. One bottle of each and be content. I'm also paying to ship stuff, sue to frequent swaps. So I need to start using up all that stuff and not hoard it! Monday is going to be busy for me!

Heh, yeah, I swear I give away more than I keep when it comes to beauty stuffs. That's why I'm trying to buy CONSCIOUSLY now. No Buy made me crave EVERYTHING, but CONSCIOUS buying is not only keeping me from hoarding, but making sure that I really try out and enjoy the things that I do buy :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Concious buying has been working SO well for me! I decided to take a leaf out of your book and Jenna's and not totally stop buying, but really think about items, research them, and make sure I want them before I go ahead and buy. When I was on a no-buy, I wanted everything because it was forbidden and untouchable to me, ya know? But now, I'm very "meh" on a lot of products because even though I can buy them, I don't feel the urge. I still am focusing on getting stuff used up, and clearing out space, but I'm not obsessing over destashing and not buying stuff like I used to. 

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with the beauty obsession! I started with a BB sub in April and added 4 more immediately after! Began making all kinds of purchases because i would get so excited by getting a good deal or another item would equal free shipping and blah blah blah...excuses lol. I've always been a little impulsive and a binge shopper, so it comes and goes. So today, I made my last online purchase for a few weeks..trying to go for 3...and did well. I got some mini creme foundations and a good corrector palette, which i needed! My tire got a major flat and had to be replaced(for free thanks to my awesome warranty), so I killed time and walked through TJ Maxx. No cart, but that never makes a difference lol! I managed to have both arms full of Philosophy and hair products in no time. Somehow, I managed to put everything back and walk out empty handed. It was disappointing for a moment, but then I felt relieved because not one single item was something I really needed at the moment! So I've decided to stick with my subs and cut my shopping. I'm trying to buy on a need, not want basis only. Plus, no online shopping for the next few weeks! Thanks ladies for the inspiration and drive!
I'm trying to do the same thing. No shopping for beauty products, just my subs, for a month. I have 3 subs so that's a lot of beauty and skin stuff there really is no reason for me to buy more. The only way I can buy another beauty product is if I run out of something I don't have a replacement for. BUT I have numerous replacements for EVERYTHING! I would like to at least go a month, hopefully two.

Back