June 2013 No/Low Buy Goals & Support

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually sold a few bottles of bath stuff on Poshmark! And then I gave the rest to a shelter, and I used up a bottle! Now on to the next partial bottle. And then there's the part where I was eyeing a Lancôme eye palette, but I realized that they were close enough to some pigments I have that I could pass, except I had no silver, so I placed an order for pigments and got 19 pigments (I'm working on collecting them all and had planned on ordering a bunch this week anyway) for $15 less than the palette with four or five shades would have cost.

I didn't do so good for this month's low-buy.

Fell off the wagon MAJORLY.

My face had a huge breakout around the second week of June and since I started using new cleansing oil and cleanser around the end of May, I freaked out and went out and bought my old cleansing oil and cleanser (new cleanser was $25 a bottle, old cleanser was $45 a bottle! I was hoping my face would like the new cleanser as its less expensive!). 

While I was on Sephora buying my old stuff, the breakout stress also 'caused' me to buy the Sephora Too Faced anniversary palette and Makeup Forever sensitive eyes remover (small bottle). 

This would be the second time I bought the Sephora Too Faced anniversary palette! I bought it before, looked at it and decided I really don't need it and returned it untouched.

Anyways, so now I bought it AGAIN b/c I just can't seem to LET IT GO.  My only consolation was I had a 10% off coupon from VIB so I bought it at least with 10% off.

I also bought 2 Rimmel apocalips at Walgreens, what made me feel better was I got 2000 Walgreen reward points =_= 

Also bought 2 Revlon kissable balm stain, consolation was they were on sale (extra bucks etc) and the color "Precious" washed me out SO MUCH that its a good base for my other lip products to go on top of as I've got pigmented lips at times. 

However! I am panning my concealer! and face powder! so that makes me feel good ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  but i still got like 2 face powders as back up =_= 

Oh Jaly, I can relate. I fell off the wagon too. I wasn't supposed to buy any lip products but somehow I've managed to accumulate one new lipstick and two glosses, ugh. Got lured in by limited edition items and sales. On top of that I also had to stock up on essential skin care items.

Still, there were a lot of times when I was able to resist buying stuff. I already had carts filled out or products in my hand but I deleted the carts or put the products back. So I guess I should at least be proud of that. Baby steps... 
ooops.gif

Other than the Lip Factory box (and my sub to Starlooks), I haven't bought any more makeup this month.  And oddly enough, I seem to be off my makeup hoarding kick.  At least for the moment.  Not even tempted.

I've bought a ton of cookbooks this month, though. 

Gonna try again in July - a no buy for makeup and cookbooks.

I did well this month. Unfortunately, I have to do a makeup no-buy next month because I'm moving and I'm broke lol.

I totally messed up my no buy :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />!  I bought the wonderlust cc collection from BB for $8, then I bought 2 UD Deluxe Palettes (1 for me and 1 for a present) even though I already have like 6 UD palettes and I'll never finish all of them, and then I went into Sephora yesterday just to get my birthday gift and I bought 2 waterproof eyeliners in teal and bronze (which was okay since I don't own any waterproof eyeliners and they are very summery) for $3 each, and  one olive colored liquid eyeliner for $5.

I also signed up for Starlooks and Beauty Army in addition to my Birchbox!

Next month will also be a no-buy as a try to save money for college

/o There's a new marshall's that opened up downtown near where i'm working again (I worked at a research program last year, left for a while, and now I'm working there PT), and I keep wandering in. I spotted some Sparitual which I really wanted to try and some ORLY minis and duos for really cheap. And one of my favourite perfumes (which is Liz Clairborne -- don't laugh okay!) in 100mL for $15. ):

I was good today and didn't get anything, but I think when the month resets, i'm going to go grab some stuff. I'm being good and having a success no-buy!

I'm not doing so great. I didn't do *that* much shopping in June, but for someone who's not working and doesn't start her new job til August AND is moving...any shopping is probably a bad idea. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

My goal is to buy *nothing* through July, because August is my birthday month and I really to take advantage of those birthday perks that come along from my favorite stores, even if it's just a couple of small purchases.

I can't wait to start working again...partly for normal reasons (money, being productive, love teaching, health insurance), but also because I just need to fund my shopping addiction. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

So far, I've done really well.  But this weekend I will be at a big rummage sale, and those are my downfall.  People always donate unused, still wrapped, fancy soaps, and I always buy them.  Going to try to be strong.

I donated something like twenty bottles of shower gel! I still have a few months' worth of it in quite a few partial bottles, but this feels like a much more manageable amount to have. I was actually having mini panic attacks from the amount I had. New rule for the rest of the year: I can get one new bottle for every two I finish. That should get me back on the track of replacing at the rate I use stuff up as opposed to stocking up when there's a really good deal, which is how I ended up with *way* too much in the first place. I was extremely financially insecure at the time, which flipped my hoarding switch. Now it's three raises, two bonuses, and an actual job (rather than temp assignments of uncertain length, plus there's a coworker's retirement this week, and she's not being replaced, so we have already been told there *will* be overtime involved, and I'm hourly, so hello, time and a half) later, so I can pace myself and look forward to periodic splurges.

Rock on, Meaganola!  It's good that you identified what triggered you, and now you'll be able to avoid doing that much more easily.

I'm really proud that I didn't get any beauty products at the rummage sale!  There wasn't anything I wanted.  I just picked up some stuff (like new shoes) for my child, and I don't have a no-buy for that!

I was doing good, but fell off the wagon today. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I was at the mall and I bought a sephora microsmooth eyeshadow trio.

I think I did pretty well in June. I bought a bottle of nail polish remover and a bottle of eye make-up remover, both to replace bottles I had used up.

I bought 3 packages of nail strips. Not necessary, but fun and cheaper than getting a professional mani/pedi.

I also spent $10 on an Origins sampler pack that came with a $10 off your next purchase code. I used the $10 off code to get a full size Checks and Balances cleanser.

I got my Birchbox and Ipsy bag as well. I decided to cancel Ipsy. I have gotten it for the past 3 months and haven't really loved anything I've gotten, so I decided I would rather put $10 towards something I really want instead. So for now Birchbox is my only sub.

For July I am going to continue to buy very little and focus on using up what I have.

Originally Posted by Kristen121 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think I did pretty well in June. I bought a bottle of nail polish remover and a bottle of eye make-up remover, both to replace bottles I had used up.

I bought 3 packages of nail strips. Not necessary, but fun and cheaper than getting a professional mani/pedi.

I also spent $10 on an Origins sampler pack that came with a $10 off your next purchase code. I used the $10 off code to get a full size Checks and Balances cleanser.

I got my Birchbox and Ipsy bag as well. I decided to cancel Ipsy. I have gotten it for the past 3 months and haven't really loved anything I've gotten, so I decided I would rather put $10 towards something I really want instead. So for now Birchbox is my only sub.

For July I am going to continue to buy very little and focus on using up what I have.
Way to go!  Sounds like you did great...and I don't consider buying replacements for necessities as a buy. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I think I did pretty well in June. I bought a bottle of nail polish remover and a bottle of eye make-up remover, both to replace bottles I had used up. I bought 3 packages of nail strips. Not necessary, but fun and cheaper than getting a professional mani/pedi. I also spent $10 on an Origins sampler pack that came with a $10 off your next purchase code. I used the $10 off code to get a full size Checks and Balances cleanser. I got my Birchbox and Ipsy bag as well. I decided to cancel Ipsy. I have gotten it for the past 3 months and haven't really loved anything I've gotten, so I decided I would rather put $10 towards something I really want instead. So for now Birchbox is my only sub. For July I am going to continue to buy very little and focus on using up what I have.
I'm going to try to do a no buy for July. I went a bit off the deep end in June...darn BB points anyway. I wanted to say I'm seriously considering canceling my Ipsy too. I have subscribed for several months but the last three months I have ended up with either nothing I could use or maybe one thing. Seems I could buy something I want with than 10 dollars instead of getting disappointed each month. Maybe Ipsy and I just need to go on a break!

Ugh, I wanna buy Sephora/OPI nail polish. There are 3 colors that I want but I'm on a no buy.

Originally Posted by Tinkabella /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lisabette, Aww you poor thing, some people dont get it but animals are family also. Thats great that you didn't purchase anything this month. If you really find the urge to spend you should set a dollar amount, instead of a product amount! Thats an easy way for you to set a limit on your spending. Then you should ask yourself 'Am I really going to use this? How much will I use it' Questions like that brings reasoning into play and you'll perhaps find out your really dont want it, but if you do you should buy it but dont exceed your limit.

I hope that helps hun!!!!
Thank you so Tinkabella
hug.gif
, Yes he was my baby, it is like losing a member of my family, the fact it was so sudden is the hardest to deal with. I haven't been online much since my last post so I'm so sorry for the late reply. 

Thanks so much for the great advice! I didn't buy any makeup or beauty products at all last month, I stayed strong! It was hard but I did it and just bought the batteries with recharger for my camera which I really needed.

Originally Posted by mauu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Lisabette, I'm so sorry to hear about your furbaby. I agree with Tinkabella, animals are family too. I'm so glad to hear that your other kitten is alright. It's completely understandable that you tried to make yourself feel better by buying make up. That's probably what I would do, too. But perhaps you can channel your energy into something more positive in order to take your mind off things? For example trying to focus on making a dent in your make up collection and finishing up half-used items etc. I've also spent ages making an Excel sheet for my low-buy progress. Just a thought, it's something that works for me.
Thank you so much Mauu 
hug.gif
Yes they are family, his sister is fine now, she seems to be over her anger issues, I was getting tired of cleaning her messes but I understood why she was doing it. I keep thinking I'm over it then I see something that makes me cry like those aspca commercials, I have to mute them or switch to another channel, but it's getting better.

Thank you for the very good advice! I like the channeling my energy into something more positive, I used to paint and I think that would be a good thing to do again, I don't think I'll ever make much of a dent in my make up collection...I have so much, but it's worth a try. I do apologize for not posting sooner but I haven't been online much until now.

Back